Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not act surprise here we all knew this game is going to have middleing reviews thanks to the demo

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
8d2.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think they did this even for all those mid games they put out last year. i do believe many of those did get late review codes tho

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
i dont think they did this even for all those mid games they put out last year

I distinctly remember speaking with Daniel Bloodworth from EZA as we were waiting for the September 2022 Distant Worlds concert (which SE invited us to attend!) about how we both were having issues consistently getting code from SE recently. Sometimes companies can just be weird when it comes to code.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope this games is good but that's never a good sign.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Lmao this game is going to flop and SE know it.

With all of the games they're crapping out and killing immediately they could really do with a slice of humble pie right about now, and I hope this is it.

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed that it turns out well.
I still think the demo was a bad demo more than an indication of the final quality.

Square is unpredictable.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

With all of the games they're crapping out and killing immediately they could really do with a slice of humble pie right about now, and I hope this is it.

Humble pie? They need a slice of humble pie for…releasing games?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The game already has a lukewarm anticipation before the release. It's a foolish move from Square if they honestly believe limiting amount the publication access for them to release timely reviews will lead to anything positive.

This isn't the first time a publisher held back review material to publications that lead to backfire. Square hasn't done this to any other of their recent releases, so why they are doing this for Forspoken doesn't inspire confidence.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's the gameplay that's doing them in or everything story and world related. If it's the former they learned nothing from FF15, if it's the latter it really puts into question why they decided for a western creative team for a Japanese game.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

What? Square Enix is one of the most consistent publishers these last few years. Some games do not have the highest quality, but even these games have a good fanbase like SOP or Star Ocean.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
This is actually the biggest bummer of them all, I've been thinking the game might be at least fun to play, good combat etc but this just seems like they've no confidence in that even.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Don't forget that Doom had review code restrictions and ended up being one of the best games of 2016. Can't really read too much into this situation, especially with SE being such a weird company.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wonder if it's the gameplay that's doing them in or everything story and world related. If it's the former they learned nothing from FF15, if it's the latter it really puts into question why they decided for a western creative team for a Japanese game.

Thats the one thing I dont quite get about Forspoken, the western writing. With that I mean I am surprised they went for it, not that I dislike western writing.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it's a new AA(A) IP, gotta respect that nowadays.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
homer-retrete.gif

you flush one down, it swirls around 999$ million in ffxiv revenue to flush down

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man…and as someone that came around to preorder said item after disliking what I see before I played the demo I'm actually a bit worried…

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Humble pie? They need a slice of humble pie for…releasing games?
I'm not sure if you've been keeping track but in the last few months alone they've killed 4 games that were around (or less than) one year old for the sole purpose of milking their fans for every penny they can and then running with the profits.

When I say "killed" I mean "shutting down the servers of". Those games are unplayable and anything bought in them is now inaccessible, unrefundable and useless. The problem isn't them releasing games, it's them being a shit company with no shame.

SE are about as scummy a company as can be, they're just snide and subversive about it.

Apr 5, 2022

Humble pie? What is your malfunction?? lol and I will just say this though as friendly as possible...just sounds like you have some beef of Square Enix personally to be quite honest with you because I'm going to say this from my personal experience, not everything they released was crap last year, I quite liked Dragon Quest Treasures and DioField Chronicle, take that as you will. This Forspoken review code situation sucks, but I hope in the end this game does slightly well, but this isn't a good look for them.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Humble pie? What is your malfunction?? lol and I will just say this though as friendly as possible...just sounds like you have some beef of Square Enix personally to be quite honest with you because I'm going to say this from my personal experience, not everything they released was crap last year, I quite liked Dragon Quest Treasures and DioField Chronicle, take that as you will. This code situation sucks, but I hope in the end this game does slightly well, but this isn't a good look for them.
I elaborated just as you posted this:
I'm not sure if you've been keeping track but in the last few months alone they've killed 4 games that were around (or less than) one year old for the sole purpose of milking their fans for every penny they can and then running with the profits.

When I say "killed" I mean "shutting down the servers of". Those games are unplayable and anything bought in them is now inaccessible, unrefundable and useless. The problem isn't them releasing games, it's them being a shit company with no shame.

SE are about as scummy a company as can be, they're just snide and subversive about it.

Apr 5, 2022
Playing 43 seconds on the demo and in my personal opinion...it's enough to see the game is a mess.

Fixed for ya, I wouldn't call it a hot mess as you would have to give it more time than that and actually give time to the game's mechanics, It's not really all that bad...like at all. Mixed bag for sure, but not bad/unplayable, I doubt this is how the full game is actually like. I'm surprised "The Dood" liked it which shocked many players as he rarely likes anything Square puts out nowadays aside from FF15 or FF7R/FF7...not only that he did a stream trying to learn the mechanics of the game from the demo too, so we'll see how it goes from here in terms of reception.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking about Chocobo GP and Babylon's fall? Chocobo GP will remain playable and Babylon's Fall was just a mess all round, I highly doubt they even made a profit on that game. Not sure what else, unless you're talking about First Soldier too? But that was F2P

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
We typically know how this goes. Lack of PC codes is also a big tell. Makes me wonder if those PC specs are a giveaway to the nature of the whogivesashit style of porting Square-Enix has had the last few years on PC.