• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm actually kinda shocked at this if true. What possible reason could there be to not be able to store a game elsewhere.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I think it will be on the Backup Feature. The only thing that isnt clear is if you could use the same external drive as your PS4 playable storage and for backing up PS5 games.
XI2QfhK.png

Apparently I'm mistaken
That's for completely backing up your entire console and restoring it, sadly. IGN is just wrong I'm afraid.

Last edited:

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
IGN's review says this:

PS5 games can be stored on an external HDD but need to be copied back to the SSD to play, though the near-instantaneous loading times for PS5 games make this palatable. However, it's worth noting that losing time later to the task of moving stuff around when my SSD invariably fills up may feel a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.
www.ign.com

PlayStation 5 Review - 2023 Update - IGN

In 2023, the slimmed-down PlayStation 5 maintains all of its strengths. Extremely fast loading times and a best-in-class controller make it a pleasure to use.

So there's conflicting reports about it. Hopefully someone clarifies soon

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Idk. I always thought they initially said that you wouldn't be able to do this, but then apparently that changed. It was always confusing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Naturally you can't play Next gen games from an external HDD, it's the same on Xbox, but apparently you can't even cold store those ps5 games on the HDD

Pushsquare said:
We'd also like to add that, at the time of writing, it's impossible to copy PS5 games across to an external HDD for storage purposes, meaning that you'll have to either re-download or re-install any next-gen titles that you delete.
www.pushsquare.com

PS5 Review: Is It Good?

Sony's next-gen PlayStation 5 iterates impressively on PS4

Gamespot said:
Another point of differentiation between PS5 and Xbox Series X/S is that the latter allow next-gen games to be stored on an external drive. You'll need to then move them to the system's internal SSD or expansion card in order to play next-gen games (backwards-compatible games can run off an external drive). On PS5, next-gen games can only be downloaded to the internal SSD (although, again, you can play PS4 games off an external drive).
www.gamespot.com

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping

At least at launch, you'll need to boot up your games from scratch when jumping from one to another.

Given the already limited storage space of the SSD this means you'll have to delete and redownload/disc install PS5 games often which frankly sucks. Can only hope that this gets added down the line.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This plus no expandable SSD isn't great for launch. I guess they add this later? Hope so at least.

an interesting mix of 'oh that's cool' and 'oof' so far which I guess is sort of par for the course for a new console with a new OS. I'm sure it'll get a bunch of firmware updates

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
XganLuT.jpg

huge bummer, completely baffling

so, they join some "gaming ecofriendly" program but expect people to re download huge games because there is no way to store PS5 games externally. doesn´t make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks.

But on the bright side, if you can call it that, the advantages of storing BC games on the internal SSD don't seem to be as big as I would have expected. So an external SSD could maybe work just as well for all BC games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said in the thread about lack of options that at least there's a workaround, swap PS5 games out. This isnt the case?

Now thats tragic. HOLY SHIT!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to think this is something that can be changed before too long into the generation, but uhh....that seems like a poor shortcoming for launch in a generation where storage will be at a premium.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I thought it was known that PS5 games can't be run on external HDD/SSD? Only PS4 games can because of the speed of reading the content. This isn't new?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Nobody is expecting to play PS5 games off an external. People just want to move their games there temporarily to free up internal space.

Yes.

yep, that not even storing is there...is absurd.

Demon´s Souls, Spider-Man Ultimate, COD and Hitman 3 installed in january when Hitman 2 with all legacy maps and DLC was 125GB on the PS4 already=SSD filled...

I thought it was known that PS5 games can't be on external HDD/SSD? Only PS4 games can because of the speed of reading the content. This isn't new?

you can´t even store them on external like on a cold storage and swap them when you need them...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So for me as a dummy:

No option to extend PS5 game storage by external or internal SSDs at launch?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
So folks have to redownload PS5 games or reinstall each time they want to swap out games due to storage limitations. This is crazy. Hard drive space for PS5 is only 664gb.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Given the limited storage space, and price (and current inability) of upgrading storage, this is completely unacceptable.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The DE version if this console is going to end up being a terrible investment. At least with discs it'll be a lot easier to swallow deleting these huge ass games if I want to play them in the future.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is so weird. Thought it would work like Xbox where you could do this to avoid deleting and redownloading even though you don't play off the external...