Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's frustrating that there is no way to browse/download IOS apps on Mac OS. And no way to search your IOS download history.

Wow. I was just playing Metroid Prime at 1080 and a pretty stable 60fps on a MacBook Air. And it's an Intel binary! My 2018 MBP couldn't even get 20fps

Using Dolphin?

Base config. I was swayed by the glowing praise for even the 8GB model. Plus I figured the M2/M3 models are gonna absolutely destroy and I'll feel the urge to upgrade again, so why spend extra now?

I'm in the middle of transferring from my 16" MBP right now. Using a TB3 connection is ridiculous I swear.

Edit: lol, I knew that would be a problem. It said that my MBP was on a higher version (11.0.1 vs 11) and that I should update my Mac first. I agreed and said update and it failed. I tried again and the update button didn't do anything, so I said skip. So of course when the transfer process was complete things were not exactly right. iCloud being fucked up, programs announcing themselves as broken and unable to run, system preferences hard crashing, great stuff. And of course there's that issue where you can't just restore an M1 machine because of a giant bug, so in order to restore it I had to hook it up to my MBP running Apple Configurator.

So it's restoring now. The signs were there that something was gonna go wrong, and they did.

Regarding your update problem, the same exact message appeared to me - but I told it to update instead of skip, and it gave me no further problems.

Since I transferred from my MacBook Pro, my username is called 'MacbookPro' which is a mess to change.. so that sucks.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I transferred from my MacBook Pro, my username is called 'MacbookPro' which is a mess to change.. so that sucks.

That button didn't do anything so I had no other options. It's a long story but my Mac mini is now actually bricked, in the truest sense of the word. No firmware, no recovery options, nothing. This has been fun learning experience, if nothing else.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That button didn't do anything so I had no other options. It's a long story but my Mac mini is now actually bricked, in the truest sense of the word. No firmware, no recovery options, nothing. This has been fun learning experience, if nothing else.

I'm sorry to hear that, I assume you tried recovery mode? (Restart whilst holding command + r)

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that, I assume you tried recovery mode? (Restart whilst holding command + r)

There is no recovery mode!

(Also on M1 Macs those don't work anymore, you just hold down the power button until you get to options)

Nah what happened was the firmware recovery through Apple Configurator 2 from my MBP failed, and when it failed I guess it got to the part where it removed the old firmware (recoveryOS) from the Mac mini but didn't actually put anything else in its place. So when you power it on you hear the chime and then it goes straight to DFU, the flashing amber light. Nothing on the screen, no recovery options, nothing else. When I try to revive the firmware as well (again through Apple Configurator) it fails, I assume because there's no firmware to revive.

Feb 1, 2018
Davinci Resolve m1 version is playing back four 4k clips with grades applied like it's NOTHING. And these are shitty h264 codec files which are hard to play without drops even on my threadripper. m1 is insane.

www.youtube.com

Secret Resolve version... this will blow your mind.

Sign up to our free crash coursehttps://filmsimplified.com/p/davinci-resolve-crash-courseIn this test I used the Mac mini with the following specs:Apple M1 c...

Wow. Just in time as lots of lower end/prosumer/hobbyist colorists are moving to PC lol.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's frustrating that there is no way to browse/download IOS apps on Mac OS. And no way to search your IOS download history.

Using Dolphin?

Regarding your update problem, the same exact message appeared to me - but I told it to update instead of skip, and it gave me no further problems.

I saw in a video that developers must specify if they want their iOS and iPadOS apps available on Mac before they show up.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
There is no recovery mode!

(Also on M1 Macs those don't work anymore, you just hold down the power button until you get to options)

Nah what happened was the firmware recovery through Apple Configurator 2 from my MBP failed, and when it failed I guess it got to the part where it removed the old firmware (recoveryOS) from the Mac mini but didn't actually put anything else in its place. So when you power it on you hear the chime and then it goes straight to DFU, the flashing amber light. Nothing on the screen, no recovery options, nothing else. When I try to revive the firmware as well (again through Apple Configurator) it fails, I assume because there's no firmware to revive.
Oh shit! Sorry to hear. I reckon as you got the base model you should be able to get it swapped over straight away.

I think I'm gonna restore my data via Time Machine to the M1 Mac Mini once I get it.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's this:
When you do head over to the Mac app store to find your favorite apps, prepare to be disappointed. Click on your name in the lower left, then click the tab for "iPhone & iPad apps," which will show you all of the apps you've installed on your iOS devices.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
My wife just ordered one online with no hassle from one of the numerous stores that had it available in my country. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT NVIDIA.
OK, time to get serious, is there an Office alternative that is good & free?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife just ordered one online with no hassle from one of the numerous stores that had it available in my country. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT NVIDIA.
What do you need it for? If you need basic office stuff, just use pages from Apple

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Does that come with Word, Excel, Powerpoint equivalents? Is it file-type compatible? New to MacOS, I'm scared.

I rarely convert between file types, but according to Apple, these are the supported compatibility features:
www.apple.com

Pages - Compatibility

Pages for Mac lets you easily import a Word document into Pages from your Mac or a PC. And now anyone can collaborate on a document in real time.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
I use Libre Office and it's sufficient for what I need (typing and formatting a couple of letters, having a spreadsheet as a budgeting tool, etc) :

Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft

Free office suite – the evolution of OpenOffice. Compatible with Microsoft .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx. Updated regularly, community powered.
You can also use Pages and Numbers, but I never really tried them before replacing my old Office 2011 licence by Libre Office.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Pages, Keynote and Numbers are included for free on every Apple device and with the exception of Numbers, more than capable of replacing MS office. They are better for everyday users, but if you are making massive spreadsheets or need to use advanced features for powerpoint you'll still need office. I have a guy that does UIs who for some reason likes doing the mockups and bitmaps in powerpoint.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the positive impressions is making waiting for the 14 inch Pro almost impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Picked up my base model MacBook Air yesterday and so far it's been a very positive experience. Had an early hiccup where for some reason the machine crashed to the recovery partition, but once I got through that everything else has been great. Basically used it for a good part of yesterday and some today doing basic tasks like web browsing, email, and some media viewing via Plex and I'm still at 82% battery life. In the past few years I've tried out a few different MacBooks including the 16" Pro and always ended up returning them due to some compromise. This Air though I absolutely adore as I think it's going to be the perfect machine for my needs and with the education discount I was about to buy it for ~$950.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Office itself is available on the Mac. Not free, but depending on your ability to score a deal it could be quite cost effective if Apple's iWork is insufficient.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit! Sorry to hear. I reckon as you got the base model you should be able to get it swapped over straight away.

I think I'm gonna restore my data via Time Machine to the M1 Mac Mini once I get it.

Yeah I'm not worried, it's an easy to swap base model and it's not critical for me to have. I learned about DFU mode for the new Macs and using Apple Configurator, so that's something!

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that after a few days of use my MBA has never even gotten warm. It's super snappy and even with heavy chrome use i'm getting like 12 hours of battery on a full charge.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
A reminder to those new to iWork, remember to save your work as office docs before sending them. Has happened to both me and the SO that we send a Numbers file to someone and they're like "What is this?".

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Does that come with Word, Excel, Powerpoint equivalents? Is it file-type compatible? New to MacOS, I'm scared.
As mentioned, the Pages/Numbers/Keynote apps included with the Mac can replace Office, for many people. They can open the respective file types, as well as export to Word/Excel/Powerpoint files. My quick thoughts on them:
  • Pages: pretty good as a full replacement for Word. There are some advanced things that Word can do that Pages cannot, but the only clients I've had who bump into the limitations are those writing novels. Exported Word files seem to be pretty much spot-on.
  • Numbers: a good spreadsheet program, but not exactly an Excel replacement. Excel has a huge swath of features (pivot tables, for example) that power users take advantage of, and are totally missing from Numbers. If you just use Excel to make basic spreadsheets, charts, tables, etc., Numbers is fine. Exported Excel files are good, given Numbers' overall limitations.
  • Keynote: I actually think Keynote is better than PowerPoint in every way, although I'll admit that I have less experience with either than the word processing / spreadsheet apps. Due to the complexity of presentation files (animation, timing, linked media, etc.), importing and exporting PowerPoint files in Keynote is more spotty. Works, but I would probably go through any imported PowerPoint on a slide-by-slide basis to make sure...but that's also because you're more likely to find out that something's missing in front of 500 people. :)

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I use Word and Excel, but Keynote is vastly preferable to PowerPoint.

These days compatibility is much less of an issue, whatever you decide to do. I mostly write in Word out of habit; I just end up pasting the finished draft into Dropbox Paper or Google Docs when it comes to actually sharing it with others.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Has anyone compared gaming performance between M1 MacBookss and x86 laptops on battery power specifically? Honestly that is the most exciting thing about the performance we're seeing so far, every gaming laptop I've ever used basically becomes unusable when unplugged from the wall.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And if anyone wants to read a completely negative review of the M1 Mac's...

Forbes review by Patrick Moorhead

www.forbes.com

Apple MacBook Pro 13” M1 Review- Why You Might Want To Pass

#1-ranked tech analyst Patrick Moorhead reviews the new Apple MacBook Pro 13" M1 processor.
LOL, "Apple-chosen developers", as though to accuse Apple of cherry-picking reviewers who are uncritical of them. I see what Moorhead is trying to do here and it's a touch bit pathetic.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if these are maybe better with ram than the regular Intel ones? Kinda wondering if I could get away with 8GB.

Mostly just browsing and whatnot, but might do some light coding on it (small Java projects at the most, else Go or Cloud). Actually I guess I should check if that stuff is supported yet.

Jul 4, 2018
Do we know yet if that's going to be with the new micro-LED revision or will we have to wait until fall or something for that?
MicroLED is years away. Rumours have been for years that iPad Pros will get miniLED first and then it'll make its way to high end MacBooks but nothing super concrete.

Edit: recent rumour

When to Expect Mini-LED Technology

The first mini-LED products were expected at the end of 2020, but with the global health crisis, Apple's plans are up in the air. Kuo recently said that we may not see any mini-LED devices until 2021, with mass production to kick off in the third quarter of 2020 and final assembly to take place in the first quarter of 2021.

There have been other rumors from DigiTimes that still suggest a 2020 release for some mini-LED products, so we'll just have to wait and see how the rumors pan out in the coming months. Right now, we're looking at either late 2020 or early 2021 for the first mini-LED devices.

Source:https://www.macrumors.com/guide/mini-led/

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to download your imessage history with someone to the computer? The message app keeps crashing and/or loading forever when you scroll up to older conversations. Activity monitor is saying imessage is using %167 cpu which is not nice.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Thoughts on potential resale/trade-in value for a 512/8gb M1 air or pro next year or even the year after? Trying to hold out for the potential "14inch" pro next year... My 2013 13" pro is doing pretty well but something faster now would be nicer

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Thoughts on potential resale/trade-in value for a 512/8gb M1 air or pro next year or even the year after? Trying to hold out for the potential "14inch" pro next year... My 2013 13" pro is doing pretty well but something faster now would be nicer

If you stay on top of the rumours and sell before the official reveal you'll get a decent return. It's hard to know for sure though.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyone know if these are maybe better with ram than the regular Intel ones? Kinda wondering if I could get away with 8GB.

Mostly just browsing and whatnot, but might do some light coding on it (small Java projects at the most, else Go or Cloud). Actually I guess I should check if that stuff is supported yet.

multiple reviews have cited how 8GB of RAM in the M1 Macs doesn't really impact much--at worst, working with large multi-gigabyte files might pose a challenge, but it takes a whole heck of a lot to slow the 8GB Macs down.