metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep! I missed their video review of it this year. I watched Dave2D's review and I'm very surprised he got the cable thing wrong (13" only has the black USB-C cable when the 11" gets it as well - Apple just provided him an 11" iPad Pro in silver so it came with the standard white cable).

Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow from the store!
Oh neat, the cables are color-matched to the finish you selected?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been pretty disappointed by the quality of the reviews thus far. I'm not super-interested in video reviews and the written reviews have been pretty short and/or basic. I want some real in-depth comparisons and metrics on the tandem OLED.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty disappointed by the quality of the reviews thus far. I'm not super-interested in video reviews and the written reviews have been pretty short and/or basic. I want some real in-depth comparisons and metrics on the tandem OLED.

According to some articles, they didn't get the device until late Friday night.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Could be worse. I saw some of iJustine's review marketing points regurgitated.

I did see her at the most critical of Apple she's ever been. She rolled her eyes because there was no sticker in the box!!

Gruber was annoyed about the lack of stickers as well. He even made polls on Mastodon and Threads about it.

I kinda see his point, as it's a free marketing thing that is lost and a further sign of moving past the old Apple. But I also don't really care about it. 🤷‍♂️

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That video was not great. I mean, was it even a review? It was mostly just him discussing his own needs. Pretty useless.

there are plenty of reviews that are the same these days - how many reviews talk about normal usage vs 'can you do content creation on these' use cases which are only really relevant to a small niche of users (like youtubers). I'm kinda ok with it as you can filter their comments to your own needs but it does sometimes get a bit tiring.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gruber was annoyed about the lack of stickers as well. He even made polls on Mastodon and Threads about it.

I kinda see his point, as it's a free marketing thing that is lost and a further sign of moving past the old Apple. But I also don't really care about it. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I didn't even know it was a thing. I found it in my old 2018 Pro box!

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The most annoying thing is that Apple send them two iPad's each (with the different screen types), and both are 13-inch rather than sending them an 11-inch model.

The 11-inch is the best model you goofs. You can't tell me it's not the overall better sold model, either.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Listen, I was hoping the 16" rumours were true, so 11" tablets with keyboards are not for me!
To each their own after all.

To be fair to the 50/50 bit, the 12.9-inch has had a significantly better screen for 3 years running, so we'll see if it still comes out on top now. The screen is literally the only reason I'm on a 12.9 to begin with.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
That video was not great. I mean, was it even a review? It was mostly just him discussing his own needs. Pretty useless.
Agreed. I usually like Dave's content, but his review felt very... off the cuff? The whole segment at the end about how great the iPad would work in his setup with the tandem cameras felt extremely niche and borderline useless for a professional review. I was also surprised he misunderstood the USB C cable coloring, especially since Apple has recently been using color matched cables.
Yes, scroll down to the "what's in the box" section. Changing the iPad color changes the cable color.

www.apple.com

Buy iPad Pro

Get $40 - $580 off the all-new, powerful iPad Pro when you trade in with Apple. Plus, get free delivery or in-store pickup. Buy now at apple.com.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017

I like Dave a lot, but I was disappointed in that video as well. Like I get the iPad software is not keeping up with the hardware, but downplaying the OLED screen was a bit odd to me. Every time I use my iPad in bed at night, the gray bars annoy the hell out of me. Every other display in my life is pretty much an OLED, so it is very distracting to me.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
MKBHD taking his sweet ass time it seems. But I got a sort of review from someone that would actually help me in my case. Since he mostly does art programs.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
To each their own after all.

To be fair to the 50/50 bit, the 12.9-inch has had a significantly better screen for 3 years running, so we'll see if it still comes out on top now. The screen is literally the only reason I'm on a 12.9 to begin with.

I assume Aplple has some insight into why people are buying the 12.9". If not, and the sales collapse now that there's screen parity, then it was pretty foolish making a larger iPad Air.

It's far more likely that they have a large-ish niche of artists who want a larger canvas to work with.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I like Dave a lot, but I was disappointed in that video as well. Like I get the iPad software is not keeping up with the hardware, but downplaying the OLED screen was a bit odd to me. Every time I use my iPad in bed at night, the gray bars annoy the hell out of me. Every other display in my life is pretty much an OLED, so it is very distracting to me.

I would rather have some reviews saying 'why the hell is apple gatekeeping OLED behind a $1300 device' than 'this is too powerful only ipadOS..' which feels boring to me now.

The only thing helping IMO is the quality of Apple's 'only an LCD screen' which are damn good in their own right.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I usually like Dave's content, but his review felt very... off the cuff? The whole segment at the end about how great the iPad would work in his setup with the tandem cameras felt extremely niche and borderline useless for a professional review. I was also surprised he misunderstood the USB C cable coloring, especially since Apple has recently been using color matched cables.

Yes, scroll down to the "what's in the box" section. Changing the iPad color changes the cable color.

www.apple.com

Buy iPad Pro

Get $40 - $580 off the all-new, powerful iPad Pro when you trade in with Apple. Plus, get free delivery or in-store pickup. Buy now at apple.com.
Neat. Haven't seen the "black" cables in person yet. Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough!
I would rather have some reviews saying 'why the hell is apple gatekeeping OLED behind a $1300 device' than 'this is too powerful only ipadOS..' which feels boring to me now.

The only thing helping IMO is the quality of Apple's 'only an LCD screen' which are damn good in their own right.
Not defending the price but OLED "access" starts at 1k, not 1300.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Aplple has some insight into why people are buying the 12.9". If not, and the sales collapse now that there's screen parity, then it was pretty foolish making a larger iPad Air.

It's far more likely that they have a large-ish niche of artists who want a larger canvas to work with.

Just speaking for myself, but I definitely prefer the larger work area. I am a large person with big hands, and while using my 4th gen Air has been fine, I missed the larger size of my old Pro. I'm so excited to start working on the 13 inch!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just speaking for myself, but I definitely prefer the larger work area. I am a large person with big hands, and while using my 4th gen Air has been fine, I missed the larger size of my old Pro. I'm so excited to start working on the 13 inch!

same and since I got the magic keyboard and really grew to like it, I think I'm stuck with this size for the foreseeable future. I like the full size keys and spacing (although I don't know how cramped the 11" is or isn't) and using it in the keyboard removes a lot of the weight issues resting on my lap. Only really notice when carrying in my bag. So the reduction to about MBA weight really will help there - it did feel just that wrong side of cumbersome

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
same and since I got the magic keyboard and really grew to like it, I think I'm stuck with this size for the foreseeable future. I like the full size keys and spacing (although I don't know how cramped the 11" is or isn't) and using it in the keyboard removes a lot of the weight issues resting on my lap. Only really notice when carrying in my bag. So the reduction to about MBA weight really will help there - it did feel just that wrong side of cumbersome

I had an 11" with a Magic Keyboard for awhile, and it's really not that cramped, because they keep the primary keys full size, so the QWERTY layout, number keys, etc. are normal sized. They only squeeze down some of the less-used keys like the brackets keys, + and - keys, the delete and return keys are a little smaller but still larger than the letter keys.

It felt slightly weird at first but I pretty quickly got used to it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

It really was. It was mostly just him reading off the spec sheet and giving off his own thoughts like you said (and even then it was a mish mash of thoughts which I didn't agree with).

Yep! Space black iPad Pros get you a black USB-C cable and the silver iPad Pros get you the white USB-C cable.

They should have done it for the iPhone 15 Pro as well but c'est la vie. Hopefully they'll sell the black USB-C cable down the road (I'm one of those weirdos who prefers Apple cables).

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017

It's a bit odd to call this gatekeeping. It's not like Apple is preventing our old iPads from being upgraded to OLED. IMO, the discourse online around this iPad release is a bit odd when perfectly good and reasonable hardware upgrades are viewed as a negative. There was a $100 price increase at baseline, which is never fun, though.

I'm one of those weird ones that doesn't want MacOS on my iPad, though, so I never really understand the whole push for that. Stage Manager and external monitor support are pretty good these days and much more tablet friendly than MacOS. Really opening iPadOS up to being able to install MacOS apps is all I would want + being able to use Spotlight while in Stage Manager which I can't figure out.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care at all if MacOS ever comes to an iPad. Legit don't care.

THAT SAID, I do wish the iPad OS could improve.

Give me a file system, slightly better stage manager, and more pro apps (Xcode, please?!) and it'd be dope.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
Well I've got mine arriving in about 3-4 hours. Starting to second guess whether I went for the right storage option, at least I have two weeks to change my mind.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Took a look at one in the Apple Store. Thought the screens looked like shit, but then I remembered that the true tone crap is the default. Turned that off and goddamn, that's a hell of a screen.

Magic keyboard feels annoyingly the same to type on for that price they charge for it. At least the inside feels a little nicer, I guess? Thought it was all aluminium, but no, still rubber on the outside. I pulled it off pretty hard because I was so used to the old ones much larger range of flexibility.

The touchpad click also feels way too shallow!

Last edited:

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
Amazing, mine has just arrived and setting up now!

It looks great. My 2018 was still fine for the most part but I knew I'd need to upgrade sooner or later and the new Pencil improvements justified it. Hopefully this will see me good for another six years, at this point I don't know what else they could add on the hardware side that would warrant an upgrade. Now with Oled and a side camera I think this is gonna be as good as it gets for a while.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, mine has just arrived and setting up now!

It looks great. My 2018 was still fine for the most part but I knew I'd need to upgrade sooner or later and the new Pencil improvements justified it. Hopefully this will see me good for another six years, at this point I don't know what else they could add on the hardware side that would warrant an upgrade. Now with Oled and a side camera I think this is gonna be as good as it gets for a while.

Let me know what you think about the speaker quality for music vs. the 2018. I returned an M1 refurb iPad Pro thinking the speakers were faulty because it sounded like crap to me, and these new ones have the same speaker setup and sounded the same way in store.

My ears are all messed up apparently, since 3D audio in games sounds like I'm underwater, even with headphones that use scans of your ears. So this could very much be a mea problem, I'm just super curious.

MrKlaw I believe you're coming from a 2018 as well? If so, also curious what you think!

FallenChief

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up my 11" iPad Pro earlier today and it's absolutely incredible! Had been following the rumours for a long time and I had got the iPad Air 11 8 days back as sort of a dry run of the Air screen.

The OLED screen is a jaw dropping upgrade, there was some sluggishness in M1 Air, which is gone in the M4 as well. Completely worth the upgrade for me:) Will return the Air tomorrow

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
Let me know what you think about the speaker quality for music vs. the 2018. I returned an M1 refurb iPad Pro thinking the speakers were faulty because it sounded like crap to me, and these new ones have the same speaker setup and sounded the same way in store.

My ears are all messed up apparently, since 3D audio in games sounds like I'm underwater, even with headphones that use scans of your ears. So this could very much be a mea problem, I'm just super curious.

MrKlaw I believe you're coming from a 2018 as well? If so, also curious what you think!

I've got music running on it now and there doesn't seem to be any issues, I'd say it's pretty similar to the 2018, I've done some side by sides and there's not a lot in it. My mini on the other hand, oh boy that sounds tinny AF doing a direct comparison - which is to be expected. Like it's fine, but that's where I'm noticing a hell of a difference.
The only audio area the iPad Pro is lacking for me is probably on the bass side, my MacBook Pro sounds better in that regard. But it's still good imo.
So yeah, no complaints here but if it wasn't sounding great to you with the M1, and again with the M4 in store then it's probably not for me to say one way or the other.

Unrelated but god damn it's weird using a Pro that's so fast and nippy after being on the A12 chip for so long!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

nah I'm M1, only my keyboard is still 2018.

I fully expect to spend a couple hours transferring across and resigning in to a few services, then going 'yup thats an ipad'. probably looking forward to the keyboard more than anything. Music is always airpods only exception is putting it on the speaker in the kitchen where volume is more important than quality :)

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
happy ipad day to all those celebrating

impatiently waiting until wwdc to decide between air/pro

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've got music running on it now and there doesn't seem to be any issues, I'd say it's pretty similar to the 2018, I've done some side by sides and there's not a lot in it. My mini on the other hand, oh boy that sounds tinny AF doing a direct comparison - which is to be expected. Like it's fine, but that's where I'm noticing a hell of a difference.
The only audio area the iPad Pro is lacking for me is probably on the bass side, my MacBook Pro sounds better in that regard. But it's still good imo.
So yeah, no complaints here but if it wasn't sounding great to you with the M1, and again with the M4 in store then it's probably not for me to say one way or the other.

Unrelated but god damn it's weird using a Pro that's so fast and nippy after being on the A12 chip for so long!

Yeah, it's wild and probably just my ears. Because a lot of people say the same as you, then I see a lot of comments the same as mine saying it's a big downgrade. My theory is them adding the spatial soundstage with 4 speakers making it sound worse to some of us where virtual sound approaches.

But looks like I'll just have to get used to it…. Apple sent the killswitch to my old one this morning and it's bootlooping. Apple Store still had one to reserve, so I guess I'm in

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Damn it all…I'll likely be grabbing one after work. Typing this on my old 2017 Pro with some longtime issues I've been resistant to upgrade for too long now.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm feeling a little FOMO today, but I'll get over it. Haha.

I really want to see what happens with WWDC before making any hardware decisions.
Yeah, even if they're not big changes, I'm surprised they didn't just wait to launch the hardware. Like pressing the DND button on the keyboard does put it in DND, but there's no indication on the screen that it did anything. I'm also not sure what the mic button does, because it didn't mute me or change mic mode in Discord. There's a couple of niggles like that which shows that the software wasn't quite ready for this thing yet.

What would wwdc help determine?
Rumours that iPad OS is going to get a big upgrade that will help you actually use the M4

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
transfer took longer than I thought but its a nice bit lighter than the 12.9 M1 - I'll probably get used to it and complain later but for now it feels the right side of the portable line, vs before it was more 'luggable'

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even if they're not big changes, I'm surprised they didn't just wait to launch the hardware. Like pressing the DND button on the keyboard does put it in DND, but there's no indication on the screen that it did anything. I'm also not sure what the mic button does, because it didn't mute me or change mic mode in Discord. There's a couple of niggles like that which shows that the software wasn't quite ready for this thing yet.

Rumours that iPad OS is going to get a big upgrade that will help you actually use the M4
Oh. Man I get why they'd save it for that, but it would have been nice to see in the presentation. At least a sneak peak. As an artist, it's not gonna affect me much either way, but still.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
What Pro is the new Air most similar to? The 2020 Pro?

Also gonna be soooo disappointing if the "big" iPadOS update is just AI stuff. UGHGHGH.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

hmm that's interesting. The screen is basically the same? No FaceID though on the Air.

I have a 2021 12.9" Pro. I could see myself just going for the Air if I ever feel the need to upgrade.

edit… looks like no Pro Motion in the Air or "XDR" whatever that is. Also back camera isn't as good but don't care there.