W1ckedEvoX

Oct 27, 2017
If the new iPad Pro 11" gets same OLED screen treatment as the 12.9" I may try to offload my 12.9" M2 iPad Pro for the new 11" M4 iPad Pro. 🤔

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know that USB dongles and docks can address this issue but I feel like if this iPad Pro refresh doesn't have 2 USB-C ports, that's signaling that Apple still has no intentions of "opening up" iPadOS to more productive forms of compute, despite the M-spec chip theoretically enabling it.

That said, OLED screens do still sound very nice. I just would rather look at an iPad Pro as more of a MacBook alternative than an iPad, because my gadget lineup has no need for an iPad at present.

There's two ways Apple makes me want an iPad again: installing MacOS becomes officially supported as an OPTION for users (users pick iPadOS, MacOS or dual boot between the two) or iPadOS becomes able to run instances of MacOS software so that my iPadOS can theoretically issue firmware updates to some of my external devices.

Any time that I've owned both a MacBook and an iPad, the iPad just becomes obsolete for me in all tasks except media consumption and media consumption is still good enough on MacBooks anyway. I've had an iPad Pro as my only computer for a cumulative 2.5 years but I always, always end up needing a computer that can do things like issue firmware updates to my gaming headphones (general interfacing with other devices), etc, that iPad can't do. Otherwise, iPad can do what I need for my personal light computing needs on a day-by-day basis… but it's just like most people who use iPad as their only computer: they run into that one thing that's not frequent but still necessary in their lives that iPad can't do and it just instantly becomes frustrating. (Credit to 8bitdo for putting their controller apps on iOS and iPadOS and being able to manage updates and configuration wirelessly… wish my fancy wireless SteelSeries headphones could do that)

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Could be staggered with Airs available ASAP/earlier and Pros available later in May.

Ah, OK, cool.

It's been years since I cared about an Apple release much, I thought that's how it always worked, products get announced and then released a week later, was just checking if I remember that right.

That'd be awesome if they're actually available on Tuesday, or sooner than next Tuesday.

I'm pretty pumped for a Pro though, I hope it's not going to be weeks later that they're out, lol.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ah, OK, cool.

It's been years since I cared about an Apple release much, I thought that's how it always worked, products get announced and then released a week later, was just checking if I remember that right.

That'd be awesome if they're actually available on Tuesday, or sooner than next Tuesday.

I'm pretty pumped for a Pro though, I hope it's not going to be weeks later that they're out, lol.

Yep - should be announcement on Tuesday 5/2, pre-orders on Friday 5/10 with release on Friday 5/17.

If it's sooner, even better! Definitely wanting the 11" Pro and especially on day one if the rumors are to be believed with the 11" model in shorter supply compared to the 12.9" model.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't do 'preorders now' given the weird timing of the stream - middle of workday for me so wont' be able to catch up until the evening.

Have an option to sell my 12.9 pro for £485 which should at least cover the new magic keyboard (fucking hell), maybe half a pencil so makes it slightly less expensive. And I always keep my apple boxes to get ok resale value -just checked and my ipad pro box is still in its shipping box from apple so even better.

hoping the air has the same magic keyboard option as the pro - might jump down to the air if its a lot less expensive but not missing specific features. For my day to day usage it should be more than enough. Do any of the video streaming apps do HDR on ipad apps? Not sure I've ever noticed it that much other than in occasional youtube videos going really bright

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't do 'preorders now' given the weird timing of the stream - middle of workday for me so wont' be able to catch up until the evening.

Have an option to sell my 12.9 pro for £485 which should at least cover the new magic keyboard (fucking hell), maybe half a pencil so makes it slightly less expensive. And I always keep my apple boxes to get ok resale value -just checked and my ipad pro box is still in its shipping box from apple so even better.

hoping the air has the same magic keyboard option as the pro - might jump down to the air if its a lot less expensive but not missing specific features. For my day to day usage it should be more than enough. Do any of the video streaming apps do HDR on ipad apps? Not sure I've ever noticed it that much other than in occasional youtube videos going really bright

If that thing is now all aluminium and they charge £379 for the current Magic Keyboard, no way is this thing less than £420 in my mind.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If that thing is now all aluminium and they charge £379 for the current Magic Keyboard, no way is this thing less than £420 in my mind.

or they realise how insane it was they charged £379 for some keys and keep the price?

yeah probably not. They'd likely keep the separate charging port too (maybe add data support and a second port?)

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
or they realise how insane it was they charged £379 for some keys and keep the price?

yeah probably not. They'd likely keep the separate charging port too (maybe add data support and a second port?)

If they figure out how to get more data through to the keyboard, beyond just trackpad and keyboard input, that would be rad. An extra USB-C data port would be excellent.

I'm also thinking they might add a Mac style Magsafe port to the keyboard. That would be cool as well.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I will say, a week after the slightly modified M1 ones went on sale, I found them on eBay for about £150. Probably from some other country, but hey, it worked

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Any recent rumors about a new Apple TV 4K?

If not, then I may pick one up soon.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely not in the market for an iPad (last one I had was the original Air … and I really don't know what I'd use one for)

But I'm weirdly excited about this event.
I'd just love a no compromise iPad mini I feel …

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Stock prices will go down if they pull those prices out the ass.

I mean it's not hard to believe, right? If it's true the new keyboard is made out of aluminum it'll absolutely cost more. And that's not even that big an increase.

$1300 starting for the iPad is probably a bit much, but I could see the larger Pro starting at $1200 if the M4 rumors are true.

And yeah, if they're appending "Pro" to the name of the new Pencil, that'll absolutely cost more too. I guess it could be $150, but I can't imagine it'll be any lower than that. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's more.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
$1299 iPad Pro
$399 Magic Keyboard
$199 Pencil Pro

Someone who is good at the economy please help me, my family is dying.
If the accessories really are much more expensive than the accessories today, I pray they let us use the Gen 2 Apple Pencil on the new iPad Pros.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not hard to believe, right? If it's true the new keyboard is made out of aluminum it'll absolutely cost more. And that's not even that big an increase.

$1300 starting for the iPad is probably a bit much, but I could see the larger Pro starting at $1200 if the M4 rumors are true.

And yeah, if they're appending "Pro" to the name of the new Pencil, that'll absolutely cost more too. I guess it could be $150, but I can't imagine it'll be any lower than that. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's more.

the existing keyboard for over $300 is already insane for what little is in it. And isn't it already aluminium - just covered with material?

as for OLED even if its a great OLED, is it just me thinking mini LED is damn expensive so it should be a relatively cost neutral change?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Any recent rumors about a new Apple TV 4K?

If not, then I may pick one up soon.
Like 8 months to a year ago, there was a rumor that a new model would come out this summer. Speculation was that it would be another model focusing on cutting costs and price. It's also possible it could get AV1 decode support for higher quality at lower bandwidth, etc.

It's in Apple's interest to regularly update all their hand-me-down chipset products each year or two so that they can drop software support for hardware and reduce the number of processors they produce.

I'll also say as someone who manages AppleTVs across 4 homes, the older ones tend to be somewhat wonky, even if their specs are perfectly fine. It kind of reminds me of how older iPhones used to perform noticeably worse after the latest OS came out, while the new models were clearly optimized for and perform fine. I'd expect some degree of that is happening here. Not a big deal, but I swear I've noticed it.

I'd wait till tomorrow just to see what happens before pulling any triggers.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
the existing keyboard for over $300 is already insane for what little is in it. And isn't it already aluminium - just covered with material?

as for OLED even if its a great OLED, is it just me thinking mini LED is damn expensive so it should be a relatively cost neutral change?

Why do you think the existing one is aluminum covered with "material?" lol

They might charge more just because they can. The Pros are niche, expensive devices. If you were already going to drop well over a grand for a tablet and accessories, is an extra hundred or two bucks really going to be the tipping point? iPad prices haven't increased in awhile, it wouldn't be surprising at all if it's more of a response to inflation than something as simple as "The new screen costs us $X more than the old one so we're raising the price by that much."

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I get that Apple goes where the market is and that is the Pro line, but man... all I want is an OLED mini with smaller bezels...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get that Apple goes where the market is and that is the Pro line, but man... all I want is an OLED mini with smaller bezels...

eventually. maybe. Pro first (84 years later...) then Air, then maybe mini. Base ipad might be the only one never to get it for price reasons?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of the 11-inch OLED iPad Pro being £999?

Or is it going to cost more than that … 😬

Base I think you can be ok. 256GB maybe a stretch as its already £1019. Keep your fingers crossed for 256GB as base and £999

I have mine crossed for a price correction at least meaning UK prices don't jump up even if US ones do. ipad pro is overpriced on the UK site since the 2020 ipads vs the rest of the site. Most other products are $1=£1, ipad pro is like 15% more than that so there is capacity to correct...

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances of the 11-inch OLED iPad Pro being £999?

Or is it going to cost more than that … 😬
200.gif

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think for my use case, maybe I should go smaller.

If MacOS is a go though, then I'll get the big one at any price.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Base I think you can be ok. 256GB maybe a stretch as its already £1019. Keep your fingers crossed for 256GB as base and £999

I have mine crossed for a price correction at least meaning UK prices don't jump up even if US ones do. ipad pro is overpriced on the UK site since the 2020 ipads vs the rest of the site. Most other products are $1=£1, ipad pro is like 15% more than that so there is capacity to correct...
I am fully expecting the 256gb to be the new base to further justify the price increase.

I think the new Air is basically going to slot into that old iPad Pro spot for a lot of people.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think for my use case, maybe I should go smaller.

If MacOS is a go though, then I'll get the big one at any price.

my logical head says 'get the air if the impressions say the screen is decent' - more than enough for what I need. But yeah if they artificially limit (or perhaps put more ram in the pros) and add macOS I'll stump up the cash for the big boy.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my logical head says 'get the air if the impressions say the screen is decent' - more than enough for what I need. But yeah if they artificially limit (or perhaps put more ram in the pros) and add macOS I'll stump up the cash for the big boy.

Yeah, from reports, it's basically the current iPad Pro screen, and then either an M2 or M3 chip with the Pro likely getting a tier higher.

Literally the only reason I'd get an Air over a cheaper 2022 Pro refurb is the camera being in the correct place with a keyboard attached!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from reports, it's basically the current iPad Pro screen, and then either an M2 or M3 chip with the Pro likely getting a tier higher.

Literally the only reason I'd get an Air over a cheaper 2022 Pro refurb is the camera being in the correct place with a keyboard attached!

actually good point. If its only an M2 I'd probably stick with what I have or get a refurb/clearance M2 pro (and my magic keyboard can drag on for another year)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
If you were already going to drop well over a grand for a tablet and accessories, is an extra hundred or two bucks really going to be the tipping point? iPad prices haven't increased in awhile, it wouldn't be surprising at all if it's more of a response to inflation than something as simple as "The new screen costs us $X more than the old one so we're raising the price by that much."
1. You absolutely do get to a point where your value proposition isn't worth it to a greater number of customers, which is basic marketing.

2. The latest round of iPads, from basic to Pro all came with price hikes so I'm not sure what your definition of "a while" is.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Not much longer until I know whether my wallet is going to be like 1500€ lighter or not. What I want is an OLED screen with brightness on the level of their MiniLED screens and an M4 processor.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it can dual boot or use a VM for Mac OS then I want an M4. Otherwise…what would I use the M4 to do?

Run RE:Village slightly more stabley? I honestly have no clue.

Man, I know it's probably not even likely knowing Apple, but the whole Pro line has been a big bust with the limitations of iOS and the App Store. Even without full MacOS, some flexibility would just make the cost start to look like it was worth it.

thinking if it'll just be an apple take on the Brydge keyboard or something else?

Possibly. I think the rumours had less flexibility and floatiness to accommodate a larger trackpad. Probably still magnets compared to the clamps I saw when I last looked at their keyboards.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
My M1 iPad Pro is still going strong. But I definitely want to see what kind of improvements the iPad Pro lineup has when I eventually upgrade