Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you can change the scroll direction.

Too late I'm hot!

Where IS the scroll wheel control ?- the only thing showing up is ability to use scroll wheel to zoom.

BTW I installed new OS update and it looks like I can't make the cursor completely disappear - only reduce it to 15% opacity on sleep. Is there new options hidden somewhere outside of Assistive Touch?

EDIT. Cursor does disappear, but only if mouse is active. If it's asleep or off the cursor hangs wherever you "store" it - presumably as a real accessibility thing - they should probably just make a separate path for "non assistive mouse" use. The text bar is an improvement too.

EDIT 2. You can't "change the scroll direction" - you can turn "natural scrolling" on or off. What a weird way to phrase it. Ironically that's apparently a Mac convention - it would almost make sense as a touch convention.

And they did add a separate Pref for mouse and trackpad, but you can only do some changes there - the rest have to be in Assistive Touch.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Too late I'm hot!

Where IS the scroll wheel control ?- the only thing showing up is ability to use scroll wheel to zoom.

BTW I installed new OS update and it looks like I can't make the cursor completely disappear - only reduce it to 15% opacity on sleep. Is there new options hidden somewhere outside of Assistive Touch?

EDIT. Cursor does disappear, but only if mouse is active. If it's asleep or off the cursor hangs wherever you "store" it - presumably as a real accessibility thing - they should probably just make a separate path for "non assistive mouse" use. The text bar is an improvement too.

EDIT 2. You can't "change the scroll direction" - you can turn "natural scrolling" on or off. What a weird way to phrase it. Ironically that's apparently a Mac convention - it would almost make sense as a touch convention.

And they did add a separate Pref for mouse and trackpad, but you can only do some changes there - the rest have to be in Assistive Touch.

Natural scrolling has been a thing on Mac for years now, yes. It was a change they made back when the first Magic Trackpad came out, I think?

I'm not sure what you mean about the cursor. it disappears every time for me. If i turn off the mouse it's gone for good. Do you have something still turned on from the old accessibility mouse option?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Natural scrolling has been a thing on Mac for years now, yes. It was a change they made back when the first Magic Trackpad came out, I think?

I'm not sure what you mean about the cursor. it disappears every time for me. If i turn off the mouse it's gone for good. Do you have something still turned on from the old accessibility mouse option?

Yeah - Probably from when it was only available there (yesterday for me) but it's strange that a bunch of controls are still split between there and the new control panel.

I'm probably going to keep using the wedge mouse but I need to check if my arc and designer mice will pair now- they wouldn't in last os although sometimes I could get the designer to connect- it just didn't work.

I love the wedge but the arc folding flat was my original idea for it.

For folks using the new magic keyboard- n real daily use — how is it having the extra USB port? Sounds like a dumb question but it's little things that make a difference.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too late I'm hot!

What do you still need AssistiveTouch for? I turned it all the way off and haven't found anything glaringly missing, though I'm not using customizable buttons or anything

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you still need AssistiveTouch for? I turned it all the way off and haven't found anything glaringly missing, though I'm not using customizable buttons or anything

I am using one of the custom mouse settings - you can't do that unless you have assistive touch turned on - reason I'm so ignorant is that I didn't update last os release so I didn't have any of the new system prefs till today.

and weirdly the mouse and trackpad controls don't show up AT ALL till you're actually using the mouse- I assume they're always on with the magic keyboard connected but if you're not physically using the mouse - which is hardly gonna be rare on an iOS device - then There's no evidence that any such control panel exists at all.

I had to google it to find out because after I installed the new os update- none of the advice here was visible in the control panel at all.

and some of the behaviors didn't show up till i connected the sleeping mouse (so the assistive touches cursor stayed visible at 15% for example) and I (fairly and reasonably imo) didn't comprehend that "natural scrolling" is a binary switch that I expect to say "invert mousewheel " or similar.

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
Is getting the 12.9 over the 11 worth it if I'm primarily using it for media consumptions, some gaming, taking notes, and art?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is getting the 12.9 over the 11 worth it if I'm primarily using it for media consumptions, some gaming, taking notes, and art?
Absolutely, especially if you're primarily using it for notes and art (or anything that involves multi-tasking). Even the 12,9 feels cramped at times, I'd definitely not be opposed to a 15″ version or something lol.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Does anyone know if the trackpad is the same size on the 11" vs the 12.9" magic keyboard? I know the outer row of keys is smaller on the 11", but I don't see anything about the trackpad. i wish someone had access to both would take some specific measurements.

I don't have any major issues typing on the 11" smart folio keyboard I have now, so I assume the keys on the new one are fine.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Im definitely feeling this keyboards and trackpad. Gestures work pretty good. Just wish apple would add 3 finger drag down to close out to home screen like in Windows 10. But that'd be true across the board. This thing nice to type on. Much better than the folio.

It really depends. I prefer the 11' just for the sake of portability and find it fantastic for the use cases you've outlined.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Welp, I broke down and bought the 11" magic keyboard. Couldn't take it anymore. Lol. Will be here in 3 weeks or so.

It's approaching dusk in NY and I tend to post a lot from my couch w/ my iPad on my coffee table as I either watch TV or game. This backlit keyboard is definitely a vast improvement.

The fact that it charges via the keyboard itself via the pins is also a game changer. I always plugged it into the iPad directly with the folio. Makes it more convenient to just grab and take it with me without having to plug/unplug every time.

Only issue I've noticed so far is that there's a tiny air bubble on the right palm rest. Most likely from the fabrication process and will work itself out in time. Minor cosmetic issue but for 300$ if the apple store was open I'd swap it tomorrow, lol.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unlike keyboards, which act like your Mac's keyboard when using Sidecar (except for shortcuts like command-space which will bring up the iPad spotlight, not the Mac spotlight) the trackpad does nothing in this mode. Does not control your Mac's mouse cursor at all. I'm not particularly bothered by this given my limited use case, but it's something to know I guess.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sucks Luna/Astropad apparently has no plans to update for mouse compatibility anytime soon. Jump Desktop works fine but I feel dumb using it when at home since it uses pretty heavy compression and just puts unnecessary strain on the Internet bandwidth when local would work just fine.

Sep 14, 2019
How's the key travel in the Magic Keyboard?

I'm currently using the folio and I keep getting used to the cramp tiny key spacing during heavy use, so when I go back to my 16" Pro, I keep hitting the wrong keys.

Also, how's typing on your lap?

I like to do some work while sitting in bed, so wondering if it's comfortable to use it there.

The price is steep and considering the Brydge keyboard, but if the Magic Keyboard is worth it, I may consider it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the 13" iPad's Magic Keyboard has larger keys and a bigger trackpad than the 11"?

I have the 11" MK right now and it's really awesome - but I'm still struggling to get used to the smaller keys even after more than a week with it. Debating on upgrading to the 12" I've wanted for a little while, anyway...

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super jealous of everyone with one of these. I have a keyboard case for my 9.8" iPad but it sometimes sucks to work on long documents. I suppose I should just take my imac keyboard with me if I want to type outside for long periods of time

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the 13" iPad's Magic Keyboard has larger keys and a bigger trackpad than the 11"?

I have the 11" MK right now and it's really awesome - but I'm still struggling to get used to the smaller keys even after more than a week with it. Debating on upgrading to the 12" I've wanted for a little while, anyway...
forums.macrumors.com

iPad Magic Keyboard 11 vs 12.9 specs

The 12.9” trackpad is bigger. They are both 4” wide but the 12.9” trackpad is 2” tall. The 11” trackpad is only 1.75” tall.

Trackpad is slightly taller. Keys are not much bigger.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
So I got my magic keyboard yesterday (ordered it on 04/16) and damn is it awesome. After only using it for a day, I honestly prefer this setup to my MacBook Pro for work and web browsing (this is with the new 12.9 inch IPad Pro). I completely agree with Stinkles that file management still leaves something to be desired, but OneDrive helps a lot with that.

It's really unfortunate that this thing is monstrously expensive. It really is a great product, but that pricepoint is insane. I don't regret buying it as I really like it (if anything I regret buying my MacBook Pro), but it just doesn't feel expensive enough to warrant that price if that makes sense.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up an 11 from Best Buy. Very happy with it so far aside from my usual gripes with Apple OSs. Please tell me there's a way to remove the white horizontal bar that persistently sits at the bottom of the screen. Please.

Rossonero

Nov 6, 2017
I ordered the Pro a couple of days ago and there is really no good alternative than the magic keyboard. I was choosing between:
  • The magic keyboard
  • The smart folio keyboard and a trackpad, but this is only €100 cheaper than the magic keyboard and the folio keyboard sucks ass. Also 2 parts instead of just one.
  • The smart folio case, a wireless keyboard and a trackpad. Approximately same cost as option 2, but....3 parts? Not so mobile...
The third party cases with keyboards don't look that attractive, be it with the functionality nor the looks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered the Pro a couple of days ago and there is really no good alternative than the magic keyboard. I was choosing between:
  • The magic keyboard
  • The smart folio keyboard and a trackpad, but this is only €100 cheaper than the magic keyboard and the folio keyboard sucks ass. Also 2 parts instead of just one.
  • The smart folio case, a wireless keyboard and a trackpad. Approximately same cost as option 2, but....3 parts? Not so mobile...
The third party cases with keyboards don't look that attractive, be it with the functionality nor the looks.

third party folios are fine and can bring the cost way down. especially when paired with a more affordable keyboard/mouse.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
FYI. Best Buy has both size keyboards in stock right now.

I've had an 11 inch iPad Pro for a year now, but I realized this keyboard was finally going to allow me to use the iPad much more like a laptop, so before buying the keyboard I thought about it and decided I was going to want the 12.9 inch size. I've had both now for a few days and I don't regret going bigger.

The single biggest caveat is that the iPad no longer feels super portable in the 12.9 inch size. It's just a larger device and with the keyboard attached it's every bit as heavy as a laptop. But if you don't mind that it's a really nice alternative to a laptop, and yes, the trackpad is noticeably bigger on the larger size.

It's really unfortunate that this thing is monstrously expensive. It really is a great product, but that pricepoint is insane. I don't regret buying it as I really like it (if anything I regret buying my MacBook Pro), but it just doesn't feel expensive enough to warrant that price if that makes sense.
I think Apple doesn't want to undercut their own MacBooks, so they want the iPad/keyboard combo to add up to a comparable price. The iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard combo is better hardware in a number of ways, so I've got no problems with the price.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so John Lewis has in stock and I just ordered for delivery Saturday morning

apple order still says processing and delivery 28 may. Could it ship faster or should I cancel? Apple would have better returns policy but if it's really over 3 weeks to wait I'd cancel

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've had an 11 inch iPad Pro for a year now, but I realized this keyboard was finally going to allow me to use the iPad much more like a laptop, so before buying the keyboard I thought about it and decided I was going to want the 12.9 inch size. I've had both now for a few days and I don't regret going bigger.

The single biggest caveat is that the iPad no longer feels super portable in the 12.9 inch size. It's just a larger device and with the keyboard attached it's every bit as heavy as a laptop. But if you don't mind that it's a really nice alternative to a laptop, and yes, the trackpad is noticeably bigger on the larger size.

Arrrrg. You're killing me ;p

On personal trips, my iPad is perfect as a singular computing device - I can do 90% of what I need, and another 9% I can live in a VM so long as I have a wifi connection. It's great, and a bigger display would be nice.

But I think what's holding me back is that for work trips, I have to bring my work computer (currently a 15" Surface Book 2), and the 11" works fine as a small companion. I fear grabbing the 13" iPP + MK would feel like lugging around two machines and that sounds less than ideal.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

On personal trips, my iPad is perfect as a singular computing device - I can do 90% of what I need, and another 9% I can live in a VM so long as I have a wifi connection. It's great, and a bigger display would be nice.

But I think what's holding me back is that for work trips, I have to bring my work computer (currently a 15" Surface Book 2), and the 11" works fine as a small companion. I fear grabbing the 13" iPP + MK would feel like lugging around two machines and that sounds less than ideal.
Yeah, don't really have any advice for you on that situation.

The iPad Pro is my only other computing device outside of my phone, so I want it to be larger.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

The iPad Pro is my only other computing device outside of my phone, so I want it to be larger.

How is the 12.9 while lying on the couch though? Off the magic keyboard. Does it feel too big when holding it? I assume you only use it horizontally?

That's what worries me about upgrading the size.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How is the 12.9 while lying on the couch though? Off the magic keyboard. Does it feel too big when holding it? I assume you only use it horizontally?

as a lounging device? It's gorgeous. Perfect for Netflix etc as the screen is larger. Portrait browsing is my preference and that works well. and split screen works nicely even for casual use eg browsing while watching something in youtube to the side

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

That makes sense. I already have a 15 inch ultrabook so for me the 11 inch iPad is the perfect size when I want to go super lightweight and portable over the versatility my laptop provides. iPad Pro works for most of my computing needs. And even some of my work needs. Christ, if I could code on it I'd be golden.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

That's a very hard question to answer for someone else. It depends on how you're laying, and how you're propping it up, etc. I'll just say that with the magic keyboard attached it sits quite nicely on your lap/legs if you're laying on a couch with your legs on an ottoman, etc.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The iPad Pro 11inch with this keyboard is more expensive than a MacBook Air and the 13" with the keyboard is as much as a MacBook Pro. I really wish Apple did something about pricing because at those prices it's hard to justify it for some (not all, as some people will feel that the extra utility in some ways justifies the prices). It's what ultimately pushed me to get a MacBook Air, for the price of the MBA I would have to get the 11" iPad Pro which is too small for me and the 12.9" one that's closer in size to the MBA was just too expensive for me to stomach.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Doing the math, it would cost me $1000 to upgrade my 11" 2018 to a 12.9" 2020 with the magic keyboard. Versus the $300 I spent to keep the 11" and upgrade to the magic keyboard.

It just seems frivolous right now and ultimately, I do really like the portability of the 11". I'm going to stick to the plan and maybe go 12.9" on the next upgrade cycle.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Doing the math, it would cost me $1000 to upgrade my 11" 2018 to a 12.9" 2020 with the magic keyboard. Versus the $300 I spent to keep the 11" and upgrade to the magic keyboard.

It just seems frivolous right now and ultimately, I do really like the portability of the 11". I'm going to stick to the plan and maybe go 12.9" on the next upgrade cycle.

Makes no sense to upgrade from 2018 iPad Pro to the 2020 model. You're not missing much. 2018 pro still snappy as hell. I tossed this thing on my 11 2018 and while it's pricey as fuck at least it's working to resolve some outstanding issues I had with the folio.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's early days, but those of you that are mixed use - eg would use the iPad a lot with a folio cover folded behind - how are you finding ti with the keyboard not folding flat behind the iPad? Are you detaching and leaving the keyboard behind? Does that feel clumsy, or inconvenient?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's early days, but those of you that are mixed use - eg would use the iPad a lot with a folio cover folded behind - how are you finding ti with the keyboard not folding flat behind the iPad? Are you detaching and leaving the keyboard behind? Does that feel clumsy, or inconvenient?

I'm detaching the keyboard and no it feels perfectly fine. I'm still getting used to lining everything up for reattaching it in one go, but detaching it is convenient and easy

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Best Buy got these back in stock, I ordered from them and cancelled my Apple order. I should get it on Friday now!

Check Best Buy if you are as impatient as I am.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the thinking on next phase design? Move more towards surface pro style with the hinge at the edge to allow for larger trackpad and extra row of keys? Flap built into iPad or rear cover? I think that could work and allow the keyboard to either easily detach or fold behind - like surface pro.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's my exact situation - I do often take just the Pro but tbh on trips where I have to take the Surface Book 2 on then the extra weight and bulk of the iPad Pro is almost irrelevant.

Kinda like when you have to take a car vs motorbike on an errand. Once you have to take a car then packing is all different anyway.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If I travel for work then any trolley bag with a laptop compartment will take a cheeky iPad Pro tucked down there too - they're still all designed for chunky ass laptops with optical drives so an IPP + ultrabook is about the same size (even slightly smaller)

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
What's the thinking on next phase design? Move more towards surface pro style with the hinge at the edge to allow for larger trackpad and extra row of keys? Flap built into iPad or rear cover? I think that could work and allow the keyboard to either easily detach or fold behind - like surface pro.

I highly doubt they would ever add a surface style hinge, it kills the ability to use on a lap.

They have an amazing design with the floating hinge. My guess is they will iterate on it, not throw it out and start over.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt they would ever add a surface style hinge, it kills the ability to use on a lap.

They have an amazing design with the floating hinge. My guess is they will iterate on it, not throw it out and start over.

Huh...

I used the hinge on my old Surface Pro as what I found a very stable lap tripod that also took torque /flex off the keyboard. If anything my iPad pro (old folio keyboard cover) is less stable on my lap.

Don't know how magic keyboard is in that regard

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The iPad Pro 11inch with this keyboard is more expensive than a MacBook Air and the 13" with the keyboard is as much as a MacBook Pro. I really wish Apple did something about pricing because at those prices it's hard to justify it for some (not all, as some people will feel that the extra utility in some ways justifies the prices). It's what ultimately pushed me to get a MacBook Air, for the price of the MBA I would have to get the 11" iPad Pro which is too small for me and the 12.9" one that's closer in size to the MBA was just too expensive for me to stomach.
The iPad Pro is simply a better piece of tech than a MacBook Air, so it completely justifies it's higher price.

The iPad Pro has a wider color gamut screen with 120hz refresh rate, better speakers and mics, better cameras, no fans and it generates no heat, as well as faster performance in certain situations.

The Magic Keyboard makes it feel a lot like a laptop on the lap. It's very rigid and the extra weight helps it balance well.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Huh...

I used the hinge on my old Surface Pro as what I found a very stable lap tripod that also took torque /flex off the keyboard. If anything my iPad pro (old folio keyboard cover) is less stable on my lap.

Smart folio doesn't balance well on a lap, no doubt. I've seen people with Surfaces at work and I have no idea how how that would work on a lap, and I've never seen anyone try. It certainly wouldn't work on mine. Hehe.

I've read a lot of reviews of the magic keyboard and they all mention use on a lap as a feature, and several referenced how you couldn't use the Surface on a lap. 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, Apple has a very unique design that looks compelling and adds specific functionality, I imagine they are going to want to build on it.