Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they come out with a cheaper display later. Today was all about a "Pro" display that is cheaper than the $6k Pro XDR.
I would be really surprised if they didn't have a cheaper display on deck for next year alongside a pro XDR refresh

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Quite possibly the lead product for M2 (though rumors are 4 M1-Max chips), presumably a WWDC announcement.
They said the M1 Ultra is the last member of the M1 family, so I guess the quad-die version is either dead in the water or is being saved for the M2 family.

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That display feels overpriced in an almost HomePod, AirPods Max way, but the monitor market is in a weird area right now.

I think the Apple Studio is priced pretty well TBH. Solid product.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Bummed they didn't bother refreshing the MacBook Air's case design or the 13" MacBook Pro's to something closer to the 14". That's all I really wanted out of it.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I was willing to put down $600 on a color accurate BenQ 27". I'm willing to almost double that for more quality and color space, but I'm not heading up to $1900 for that... Bummer, nothing in this presentation for me.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, that made my decision pretty easy. Gonna just stick with a 16gb Mac Mini for now and get a studio on sale down the road. Killer hardware, but I just can't justify it when my current workstation is able to do everything the Studio does and then some. If it started at $1500 with a M1 Pro, then I'd probably jump on that, but as it is, I'll just wait.

That display is some serious Apple Tax, hard pass without HDR.

Oct 29, 2017
Found it strange we didn't see anything on iOS stuff or service outside that Apple TV+ stinger. Isn't there like a somewhat major .6 update coming soonish with like blockbuster new features like the mask Face ID stuff?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is Apple not going to adjust Mac Pro configs or pricing right now? They just murdered it with the studio.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the display support increases in the base M2 package, would love to have 3 ~4K monitors.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of music professionals live out of Live or Logic, and 95%+ of the plugins I own work on M1, and I own a huge number of them.
Acon Digital, Antares, Arturia, Audinate (all Dante stuff), CEDAR Noise Reduction, Krotos, Lexicon, McDSP, much of the Native Instruments Komplete suite, Nugen Audio, Output (including Arcade), Plugin Alliance, Rob Papen, SSL, TC Electronic, Tokyo Dawn Labs are all among the more notable plugin developers whose products are still not compatible with Apple Silicon, or macOS Monterey altogether for that matter.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That display feels overpriced in an almost HomePod, AirPods Max way, but the monitor market is in a weird area right now.

I think the Apple Studio is priced pretty well TBH. Solid product.
Yeah it would have been a ok price at 6K with 30", but that is just too much for a screen with a good camera, mics and speakers. We need more 5K screens though.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing that beefy cooling in the Studio I wonder if the Max will be the end of the line for the next iMac.

At this point I don't think there will be powerful iMacs again.
imacs will be convenient entry-level computers. maybe they don't sell that well, and higher end users would rather just have either a macbook pro or mac studio.

but that would mean that the M1 Pro is only available in a macbook pro, which is kind of weird.

Squidmaster7

Feb 24, 2021
I am not a 'professional' in the sense that I am not a music creator, colorist, etc. But who could possibly need 128GB of RAM right now??. Im aware of the whole meme of 'you'll only ever need 4kb of RAM' or whatever. But even the ML folks I work with are able to work with 32GB. Someone needing upwards of 32GB of RAM is most likely doing large scale ML work and certainly isnt going to be running it from a Mac Studio. More like some clustered device. Even putting 2000 tracks in some DAW isnt going to get close to needing that much memory. Im genuinely curious who could possibly need that much memory AND need it on that device in particular.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How is Apple not going to adjust Mac Pro configs or pricing right now? They just murdered it with the studio.
Different userbase and different values. Mac Pro is meant for business and enterprise, who value stability and compatibility above all else, even performance. The strategy Apple has laid out is entirely to give developers time to port their software over to being M1 native before they release the Apple Silicon Mac Pros, and to sell the current intel Mac Pros to businesses whose software is still intel native. It's the same reason Apple are still selling intel Mac Minis.

I am not a 'professional' in the sense that I am not a music creator, colorist, etc. But who could possibly need 128GB of RAM right now??. Im aware of the whole meme of 'you'll only ever need 4kb of RAM' or whatever. But even the ML folks I work with are able to work with 32GB. Someone needing upwards of 32GB of RAM is most likely doing large scale ML work and certainly isnt going to be running it from a Mac Studio. More like some clustered device. Even putting 2000 tracks in some DAW isnt going to get close to needing that much memory. Im genuinely curious who could possibly need that much memory AND need it on that device in particular.
Famous last words; give an artist a workstation and they'll find a way to fill up the ram.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
They said something along the lines of "the last addition to the M1 family" when introducing the Ultra so I'm pretty sure the Mac Pro will be a M2 or M2 Ultra etc.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
For music production you'd be better off with something like 38" ultrawide with 3840x1600 resolution. Dell and LG both have models. Or even a 43" 4K TV.

You need real estate, not sharpness.
I use a 43" 4k tv as one of my displays and it's godly, even if the quality is shit for 300ish dollars a few years ago

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
That pricing is ridiculous for a 600 nits SDR screen. Would have hoped Apple did more of a push to get more HDR screens out there.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I necessarily expected it, but I would have preferred they'd gone with an A-series chip and a 120Hz display for the iPad Air upgrade, rather than the M1 and 60Hz display. I really have no need for M1 power in my iPad, but I really want a 120Hz display.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
imacs will be convenient entry-level computers. maybe they don't sell that well, and higher end users would rather just have either a macbook pro or mac studio.

but that would mean that the M1 Pro is only available in a macbook pro, which is kind of weird.

Makes sense now that they finally sell a display. The 5K iMac was the best deal in Apples lineup, no wonder they are replacing it with a more expensive alternative. It's Apple 🥸

Where is my Mac mini?

Is Mac Mini dad ? 😔
It already uses a M1. They'll update the rest of the lineup first I guess.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm kinda surprised Apple hasn't added an M1 Pro option for the Mini or iMac, especially now that the Studio is starting at the M1 Max level. Maybe they're saving that for M2 versions of those computers.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm kinda surprised Apple hasn't added an M1 Pro option for the Mini or iMac, especially now that the Studio is starting at the M1 Max level. Maybe they're saving that for M2 versions of those computers.
prob bc they want to supply Macbook Pros with them instead of the more casual Mini/iMac

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if pre-orders are based on allotment or not? I wanna pre-order a studio but might need to wait a day lol.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a new iMac 27 is happening. I think the Mac Studio + this new monitor are literally it.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a new iMac 27 is happening. I think the Mac Studio + this new monitor are literally it.
It's already rumored to be happening this year, there's also a new imac pro even

EDIT: I meant 24 inch is still coming my bad

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I missed them saying this is the last M1. Hmm. I guess that does mean Mac will be M2 based.

or some kind of slot system where multiple M1 Max or Ultra SoCs can be plugged in?
I really doubt that the first mac pro will be M2. And even if it is then that doesn't answer the problem of how they make it more powerful than a Studio.