Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
9bMDto1.png

Sitting right next to $1400 24c/48t Threadrippers and ~$1400 Xeons. That's just Multi-core, the single-core is near consumer CPUs. Insanity. I want to see what the Mac Pro will be powered by.

This is fucking insane. Thats the same MC score as my 3970x TR on something that fits in a backpack, goddamn.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
These M1 Macs are bringing back the mystique of the early-to-mid '90s exotic UNIX+RISC workstations... except they're not $50,000.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Since Mac Studio is seemingly replacing the Mac Pro in power, the right question is: Who is the next gen Mac Pro going to be for?
I was just typing the same thing, for the price this machine is going to be very popular in the industry it serves and probably well beyond where the mac Pro was popular (especially due to price).

But if it is more powerful than a Mac Pro at a fraction of the cost it is going to take something special (and I assume cheaper than previous models?) for the Mac Pro to be a competitive proposition.

I guess the flip side is that performance improvements/ the improvements they make to work flow may justify a much higher cost even for relatively small performance gains for the highest end users.

Edit: based on the below it seems it will be double.

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
E16Kwy_WYAM7vuO

So this leak has been proven true so far. The M1 Ultra is the Jade 2C-Die. The Mac Pro is gonna have the Jade 4C-die, which is literally 4 M1 Max's ducttaped together.

I wonder what they'll call it lol

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 27" iMac from 2013 that I love but am about ready to upgrade. I was hoping for a new 27" iMac. Do you think that's still coming? Should I just buy a Mac Mini and a studio display? Or should I wait?

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I've been eyeing a M1 Mac mini for a while now to get into personal video editing (I already edit for work), should I keep waiting for an update or just jump in sooner than later?

I know some people would say just go for it, since there's always going to be upgrades, and I'd just end up waiting and waiting for whatever is rumored to be next or next after that.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'd love that screen... But there's absolutely 0 way I can justify dropping $3k on it.

Oh and the Mac Studio starts at $3.6k here. Jesus why is everything so expensive.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love that screen... But there's absolutely 0 way I can justify dropping $3k on it.

Oh and the Mac Studio starts at $3.6k here. Jesus why is everything so expensive.

the Mac Studio is much cheaper than the 16" macbook pro M1 Max I got, with the same specs. Like way cheaper.
that's the way to go IMO, 32 core GPU and 64GB RAM, and I'd add on a non-apple display, because i have seperate camera, mic and speakers for my desk.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've been eyeing a M1 Mac mini for a while now to get into personal video editing (I already edit for work), should I keep waiting for an update or just jump in sooner than later?

I know some people would say just go for it, since there's always going to be upgrades, and I'd just end up waiting and waiting for whatever is rumored to be next or next after that.
I'm was in the same boat as you but for different reasons and ended up biting on the latest 14" MBP Max with maxed-out specs.

FYI my work is mostly related to sw engineering with some UI design involved. I imagine that for video editing, every extra bit of juice is going to make a noticeable difference and will extend the life of the product.

At some point you just have to draw the line between the equipment you need for your workflow today (and lasting you the next several years) and how long you are prepared to hold out on your current setup for the increase in specs. My 2016 MBP was still chugging along, but occasionally hindered my productivity. It was time for an upgrade, and the 14" MBP came along at just the right time. If you're still coasting with your current equipment then it might be worth waiting for the next bump, but right now the machines are absolutely cutting edge and blazingly fast.

I'll probably be satisfied with my machine for the next 5 years, but won't deny that I am going to be extremely jealous of owners of the next-generation MBP, even if the difference it'd make to my own workflow would be marginal.

Whatever your decision, you're in a good place as a pro consumer. Until the most recent refresh, it was dark days being in the market for an MBP.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'm in for the display. Ain't everything I wanted, but it's only $200 more than LG's 5K and significantly better in appearance, camera quality, and brightness.

First I went nano texture, then read a bunch of reviews and looked at macro photos of XDR's nano, canceled, then ordered a regular glossy screen. Now I have to wait 3 more weeks. Damn you, impulsive self!
Just wondering why you went for gloss over nano?

E: sorry for the double post. Thread moving slower than expected.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that continues to amaze me about Apple's production logistics is that I still can't find a retail PS5 to purchase, yet Apple is just pumping out new variants of their highly advanced M1 chip like there's no global component shortage at all.

They definitely had to cannibalize some products last fall due to the shortages but Apple is locking down these production lines years in advance. Chip makers probably love the consistency and volume too

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I'm not saying I'm laying down the dough for multiple Studio displays, but theoretically could you daisy-chain two of them to a MBP that supports multiple displays? I've done this before with the 24" UltraFine, but it has two thunderbolt ports per display.

Having to connect two thunderbolts to the MBP every time to use both is exactly the kind of first-world problem I don't want to have for $3k.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not saying I'm laying down the dough for multiple Studio displays, but theoretically could you daisy-chain two of them to a MBP that supports multiple displays? I've done this before with the 24" UltraFine, but it has two thunderbolt ports per display.

Having to connect two thunderbolts to the MBP every time to use both is exactly the kind of first-world problem I don't want to have for $3k.

I guess you would need a thunderbolt dock for your MBP. With 2 thunderbolt cables going out from it to the monitors.
This mac display can't be using the full 40Gbps of the thunderbolt can it? It's 5k 8bit 60fps isn't it? So each monitor would be using around 18-20Gbps I think.

Would be good to see it tested.

less

Oct 25, 2017

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Excuse my ignorance, but when do they announce/release new iPhones? I don't really keep up but I want a new phone soon. Looks like there is just a new color for last years phone, is that correct?

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
You aren't missing anything. New Air is overpriced. It should have been 128GB for base version and 256GB should have been at most $100 extra.

Edit: I have 12.9" iPad Pro 2nd gen and its fast enough for what I do, but I'd love a bit smaller screen. But not at that price.

Nope, Pro is a much better device if 64 GB is not enough and you can live with 128 GB, just for the screen and speaker upgrade.

Thanks for the confirmation. I think the Pro is what I'm going with then.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

these don't support daisy chaining. Only have one thunderbolt port.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking insane. Thats the same MC score as my 3970x TR on something that fits in a backpack, goddamn.
What Apple has done in the last 10 years with their CPUs and GPUs is really remarkable.

These are essentially mobile chips that give you desktop power. And they are keeping up an incredible upgrade rate.

I didn't think it was possible for Apple to catch up and possibly surpass the big boys so quickly in the GPU and CPU space.

Can't wait to see what they do over the next 5 years and what everyone else does to try and beat them.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What Apple has done in the last 10 years with their CPUs and GPUs is really remarkable.

These are essentially mobile chips that give you desktop power. And they are keeping up an incredible upgrade rate.

I didn't think it was possible for Apple to catch up and possibly surpass the big boys so quickly in the GPU and CPU space.

Can't wait to see what they do over the next 5 years and what everyone else does to try and beat them.

This whole transition has been blown my mind. I've always been PC, even though I used Macs here and there. When the M1 mini came out I bought one just to try it out, and it became my main machine even though I had a 3k PC. I recently bought an 16 inch M1 Pro and switched to that and I'm still blown away that I'm using a laptop as workstation and it's virtually silent.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Just wondering why you went for gloss over nano?
Basically a lot of people who got the nano on either the XDR or iMac were dissatisfied with the blur it produced. Apparently it's also very delicate and easy to scratch (hence the fancy cleaning cloth). I think if you're set on a matte screen it's probably the best one you can get, but it's not magically equivalent to a glossy screen in clarity. Since glare isn't that big an issue in my office I decided to play it safe and stay glossy.

Oct 25, 2017
Ngl kinda like that Apple doesn't price the prosumer stuff anywhere near an affordable price. Keeps me from being like "HMMMMMM should I spend a few hundred more to get stuff I'll literally never need just because?!" When it's $1000-1500cdn for a Mac mini or MacBook Air that will 100% do all I need vs $2500 *minimum* for a base 14" or studio… well that's a definite no.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
This whole transition has been blown my mind. I've always been PC, even though I used Macs here and there. When the M1 mini came out I bought one just to try it out, and it became my main machine even though I had a 3k PC. I recently bought an 16 inch M1 Pro and switched to that and I'm still blown away that I'm using a laptop as workstation and it's virtually silent.

God bless vertical integration. I was a Mac naysayer back around the time of the iPhone 4 and only started to warm up to it when they released their Retina Macbooks. And then I understood what it meant to pay the 'Apple Tax' because it really is a nice tightly controlled experience and I care a lot about battery life!

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl kinda like that Apple doesn't price the prosumer stuff anywhere near an affordable price. Keeps me from being like "HMMMMMM should I spend a few hundred more to get stuff I'll literally never need just because?!" When it's $1000-1500cdn for a Mac mini or MacBook Air that will 100% do all I need vs $2500 *minimum* for a base 14" or studio… well that's a definite no.

There's almost certainly missing products here, because that never used to be the case. You'd always be faced with conundrum of whether to buy a low-end product with options or paying an extra couple of hundred for the next product up, but the pricing gulf between the consumer and pro line is absolutely massive now.

I can't believe there isn't going to be a 27" iMac or a desktop between the M1 Mini and M1 Max Studio. Nobody's going to option a 16/512 Mini and look at the Studio and think "It's only another 900 bucks, I'll go for that".

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Basically a lot of people who got the nano on either the XDR or iMac were dissatisfied with the blur it produced. Apparently it's also very delicate and easy to scratch (hence the fancy cleaning cloth). I think if you're set on a matte screen it's probably the best one you can get, but it's not magically equivalent to a glossy screen in clarity. Since glare isn't that big an issue in my office I decided to play it safe and stay glossy.
Thanks for the input. After some research and with your feedback, decided to settle on a gloss display and cancel the matte. Glare annoys me in the morning, but it's not that bad. Clarity is more important.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
There's almost certainly missing products here, because that never used to be the case. You'd always be faced with conundrum of whether to buy a low-end product with options or paying an extra couple of hundred for the next product up, but the pricing gulf between the consumer and pro line is absolutely massive now.

I can't believe there isn't going to be a 27" iMac or a desktop between the M1 Mini and M1 Max Studio. Nobody's going to option a 16/512 Mini and look at the Studio and think "It's only another 900 bucks, I'll go for that".

That's where I fall. I don't need the studio, but I would have loved a M1Pro desktop somewhere in the mix.

It's weird that they've used all their chips in desktop computers EXCEPT the M1Pro. And there is a huge gap, in both performance and price, between the Mini and the Studio where it would sit quite comfortably.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's where I fall. I don't need the studio, but I would have loved a M1Pro desktop somewhere in the mix.

It's weird that they've used all their chips in desktop computers EXCEPT the M1Pro. And there is a huge gap, in both performance and price, between the Mini and the Studio where it would sit quite comfortably.
I can't buy the Mac Mini for work just because of the RAM. CPU should be fine, but I need 32GB. Maybe the M1 Pro will be added later, I mean it's missing in the Studio lineup, so there is still hope I guess

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, if you missed early orders / still deciding, the best place to most quickly get a Studio after release will be B&H Photo. For example they've had many configurations of 14 and 16 inch MBPs available for one day delivery for a good while now (that are 1 month+ from Apple)

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just a heads up, if you missed early orders / still deciding, the best place to most quickly get a Studio after release will be B&H Photo. For example they've had many configurations of 14 and 16 inch MBPs available for one day delivery for a good while now (that are 1 month+ from Apple)

Best Buy also had a couple of configurations available when they were sold out everywhere else.