QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious if all this spiral'd out of control so fucking hard and wildly that the world loses unreal engine and epic goes bankrupt.

Now this isn't something that would happen but still a fun thing to think of the shockwave that would cause in the industry and how much it would hurt the growth of game development

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
This does make me wonder how many companies get special treatment from Apple, cause that has to be the reason xcloud can't be on the store but Netflix can.
I mean they won't be nice with a direct competitor in Xcloud.
Maybe they will be meaner with Netflix when (if) Apple TV+ gains traction.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously Man, starting a fight with fucking Apple was never a wise move. What the fuck were they thinking?

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
You can not like Epic, Tim Sweeney and the way they have handled this, but still want them to win the case. It's been a long time coming that Apple's and Google's power over these platforms would have to be checked. And despite these kinds of stupid things, the attention that this has drawn to it has been nothing but a good thing.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada

From the linked WaPo story:

"You've got three titans going at it. On one hand, it's great publicity to get these crazy deals out into the public view. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand that not every developer can get on the Epic Games Store." Developers wishing to be included in the recently launcher Epic games marketplace must apply and be approved by the game publisher, just as Apple approves applications for its App Store.

"Epic is also a closed garden," Burgos said.

kinda says it all, doesn't it

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
When Tim Sweeney said he wasn't looking for a special deal wasn't he referring more to the 30% cut? As in not asking for a discount like some other major publishers have?

But the deal in question here seems to be about accessing Epic Storefront directly from Fortnite and bypassing the Apple Store altogether.

It reads like Apple have taken a quote about one thing and attached it to something entirely different and said "look he lied".

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious if all this spiral'd out of control so fucking hard and wildly that the world loses unreal engine and epic goes bankrupt.

Now this isn't something that would happen but still a fun thing to think of the shockwave that would cause in the industry and how much it would hurt the growth of game development
As you said it is unlikely to happen, but if it did there are a number of candidates that could potentially fill that gap, some almost immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
When Tim Sweeney said he wasn't looking for a special deal wasn't he referring more to the 30% cut? As in not asking for a discount like some other major publishers have?

But the deal in question here seems to be about accessing Epic Storefront directly from Fortnite and bypassing the Apple Store altogether.

It reads like Apple have taken a quote about one thing and attached it to something entirely different and said "look he lied".
It seems though most here don't understand this.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

He specifically asks that Epic be able to give Apple 0% though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
People defending Epic realize that Apple is merely arguing that they have no reason to put Fortnite back on the store as this is a self-inflicted wound? They even say Epic could revert the game back to its previous state and they'd put it back up even as the lawsuit continues. What is the argument here? Why should Apple be forced to host a game that breaks their TOS before the lawsuit against their TOS is settled?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It is blowing my mind that a gaming forum is taking Apple's side on this.

Especially after Apple gave Steam and Microsoft the no-go on a lot of the stuff they wanted to do on mobile. I would have thought Apple and it's App Store policies would be enemy #1.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
You agree though that when he started this whole thing he set it up as though they weren't asking for a special deal and trying to play the complete victim here and has now been caught, right? I think that's perfectly acceptable 'fuel' for ppl to dislike Epic.
They weren't caught, they said that they offered Apple to release EGS on iOS in they lawsuit. It's not a secret.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I dislike both so much this is awesome to watch.

Nah, I'm really not here for it at all. Epic certainly ain't no goiod guys and neither is Apple, but I'm not sure if I want all walled gardens to be eliminated. Just too many knock on effects for people who aren't Epic or Apple.

Especially after Apple gave Steam and Microsoft the no-go on a lot of the stuff they wanted to do on mobile. I would have thought Apple and it's App Store policies would be enemy #1.

I'm not really sure if this lawsuit would address those issues though. I mean in a roundabout way I guess it could?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

The enemy of my Enemy is not my friend.

Epic being against Apple doesn't mean that Epic is my friend.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

Isn't that effectively dropping the 30% to 0%?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
I think at this point it's pretty obvious that all parties involved are shitty and petty, with gamers stuck in the middle of their fuckery.

Fuck em all. Not giving my money to any of them till they figure it out.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Apple's App store policies are identical to the Console manufacturers though. It's shitty that XCloud isn't allowed on iOS but Microsoft wouldn't allow an alternative method of purchase that bypasses their licensing to be available on Xbox either.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Apple sucks too. But some people on here go out of their way to defend Epic for some reason.
I have no big love for Epic, but it gets really weird around here when they are brought up. You end up having people "playing defense" because the response to anything they do is usually way over the top. To the point we now have a large portion of people carrying water for a $2 trillion dollar mega corp looking to keep it's stranglehold over their walled garden app store. Ultimately lawyers for both sides are going to make each company out to be the victim here. Epic playing up the overall struggles of creators vs Apple, is still a valid point and was set out in the original email, even if their goals are largely self serving.

Beyond thay I don't see the point in not supporting Epic in kicking down the door here. Regardless of their intentions, or how they've gone about this, there's no reason Apple should have the level of control they do over the app store, and it's likely going to be the centerpiece of an anti-trust suit in the near future anyway.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I have never bought a single apple product in my life, how hard they fuck over their customers that fell for their closed ecosystem and continue to feed it has no barring on me :P I really don't give a shit that one scummy company trying to manipulate kids is getting screwed by another one that manipulates its customers. Let them waste their time

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
People defending Epic realize that Apple is merely arguing that they have no reason to put Fortnite back on the store as this is a self-inflicted wound? They even say Epic could revert the game back to its previous state and they'd put it back up even as the lawsuit continues. What is the argument here? Why should Apple be forced to host a game that breaks their TOS before the lawsuit against their TOS is settled?
Yes I agree. Their decision to not put the game back in to the store is for PR reason. I suspect that a day before the deadline they'll make an update. One that no doubt will take a couple of days/ to get checked by Apple.

The reason that they did this was to show Apple as a bad guy, the threat of Apple to revoke all dev keys helped to make their case. Now though they can easily turn back the option as they have already gotten what they wanted.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I understand apple is scummy as fuck but I just don't understand how EPIC has any legs to stand on here? Like.. if you don't wanna pay that 30 you go somewhere else or open your own store and OOPS that's what EPIC already did? Like if enough people decide that Apple sucks now and stop using their store they will change but until then - how you gonna strong arm a company to open up, support, trouble shoot, handle fees and server hosting and all that shit for a COMPETING app store on their devices which are notoriously locked down as part of their entire design?

So weird to me. Like if you were renting space to host laser tag events and then just sent an email to the landlord of that space like "I'm not gonna pay you that money anymore. In fact i'm gonna make people pay me to use the space and play our game but you have to keep the electricity on and the water and all that running or you're the bad guy"

I'm sure i sound dumb as hell right now to anyone with a half assed understanding of how this stuff works but from the outside in as a layman this seems like EPIC trying to ice skate uphill

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the big "gotcha" here. Both emails read like something he fully expected would become public during this process. He gave Apple a two week heads up and acknowledge that Epic's action would necessitate a side agreement or changes to their contract existing contract so they wouldn't be in breach of contract. He also says he hopes that Apple will make all these requested changes equally available to all developers.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I would love for the app marketplace on mobile to somehow become more competitive and less within the controls of Google and Apple.

But its become clear that Epic is not the vehicle to getting that done.

Becoming less and less of a "Let Them Fight" and more and more of a "Oh lord, just STFU".

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a fascinating read.

I'd imagine 1% of Era will pour through it, but it does setup how flimsy Epic's TRO to get Fortnite back on iOS (complete with ToS breach code) actually is.

Unsurprisingly, it also specifically notes several times the cascading affect of Epic's parent suit will have on Sony, MS & Nintendo's e-commerce ecosystems.

Hopefully that YouTube lawyer guy will succinctly break this document down.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Quell surprise that he lied and Epic is in it for the money, and not for anyone else. Didn't see that coming. Abhorrent.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Reading Apple response and damn they digged every possible lawsuit they could to defend themselves. Like holy s*it amount of lawsuits.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

People really fucking hate Tim Sweeney lol.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if you accidentally got mixed up or did that intentionally just to try and validate your point but that's not what I asked about.
Apple:
On June 30, 2020, Epic emailed Apple requesting to offer a competing Epic Games Store app through the App Store that would allow iOS device users to install apps from Epic directly, rather than through the App Store and to offer payment processing options within Epic's apps other than IAP. On July 10, Apple responded that "Apple has never allowed this . . . we strongly believe these rules are vital to the health of the Apple platform and carry enormous benefits for both consumers and developers."
Epic:
81. Apple has enforced these restrictions against Epic. Epic approached Apple to request that Apple allow Epic to offer its Epic Games Store to Apple's iOS users through the App Store and direct installation. Apple's response was an unequivocal "no".
They are talking about the same thing, so who got caught?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't see the big "gotcha" here. Both emails read like something he fully expected would become public during this process. He gave Apple a two week heads up and acknowledge that Epic's action would necessitate a side agreement or changes to their contract existing contract so they wouldn't be in breach of contract. He also says he hopes that Apple will make all these requested changes equally available to all developers.

Tim Sweeney tweeted several times that he didn't ask for a special deal. He did ask for a special deal. His 'hoping' that Apple will do the same for other devs was placed there in case Apple refused to play ball and this communication became public, as it ended up happening.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

they were trying to cut themselves their own secret deal, contrary to what they were saying about "doing this for everyone"

people could smell the bullshit from a mile away. this is purely about making themselves another gatekeeper.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I have no big love for Epic, but it gets really weird around here when they are brought up. You end up having people "playing defense" because the response to anything they do is usually way over the top. To the point we now have a large portion of people carrying water for a $2 trillion dollar mega corp looking to keep it's stranglehold over their walled garden app store. Ultimately lawyers for both sides are going to make each company out to be the victim here. Epic playing up the overall struggles of creators vs Apple, is still a valid point and was set out in the original email, even if their goals are largely self serving.

Beyond thay I don't see the point in not supporting Epic in kicking down the door here. Regardless of their intentions, or how they've gone about this, there's no reason Apple should have the level of control they do over the app store, and it's likely going to be the centerpiece of an anti-trust suit in the near future anyway.
I have no love for Apple. I don't buy their products and I don't use their system.
I think both are shitty.

But the way I see it, if you play in their court, you play by their rules.
If you don't want to play by their rules, then don't play with Apple full stop. I don't.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Indeed. I would think people would want more open platforms.