Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/12/appl...ation-keyboard-true-tone-and-new-intel-chips/

Apple has today updated the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with a spec bump refresh. The laptops feature Intel's latest eighth-generation Intel processors, with a six-core option on the 15-inch model. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro can also be specced with up to 32 GB RAM, with a DDR4 configuration. The new 13- and 15-inch models are available to order today, starting at $1799 and $2399.

The new laptops also bring Apple's True Tone display technology to the Mac lineup for the first time, as well as a third-generation butterfly keyboard. Apple says the new keyboard enables quieter typing, although hopefully there are reliability improvements as well. There are no changes today to the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
True Tone is good news. Guess no 120hz screens.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing they finally did a quad core on the 13 inch.

Also lol at calling Fortnite a graphic intense game.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
They've managed to address precisely none of my issues with the current MacBook lineup. Hooray.

(I get that the performance bump/RAM stuff is good for a lot of people, but that's not why I've been looking at Windows laptops lately.)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
These new ones being quad-core make me kinda regret buying the Touch Bar model last year... sucks.

EDIT: Man, quad core, True Tone and a new butterfly mechanism. Dammit. Almost tempted to sell mine and get a new one...

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Touch bar only sucks. Would rather have the option of the new processors but without the touch bar fluff.

I'd also still be worried about those shitty as butterfly keys in the same casing.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Looking to buy my lady a MacBook Air or whatever. Did the previous model go down in price? And can anyone recommend which one i should choose. She just uses it to edit articles and stuff, Skype with family. Nothing crazy.

MacBook Air good enough?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's time for Apple to just suck it up and admit the Touch Bar is a disaster, it reminds me of the Wii U, nobody wants to be looking up and down at two different screens

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking to buy my lady a MacBook Air or whatever. Did the previous model go down in price? And can anyone recommend which one i should choose. She just uses it to edit articles and stuff, Skype with family. Nothing crazy.

MacBook Air good enough?

WAIT

Rumor is they finally have a Air successor in the works.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Screw the touch bar.

My current MBP is the last one I'm ever buying from Apple.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
3rd-gen butterfly sounds to me like they just did some further minor adjustments to the keyboard. Honestly have zero desire to get another MacBook or upgrade unless they get the keyboard entirely right.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It's time for Apple to just suck it up and admit the Touch Bar is a disaster, it reminds me of the Wii U, nobody wants to be looking up and down at two different screens

You're going to shell out $500 more for it and like it!

Actually glad didn't release new n-TB models, I would've been so salty since I bought a 2017 model like a month ago.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

MacBook Air good enough?

Depends, would she consider a 1440 X 900 TN panel display to be acceptable in 2018? If so, then it's good enough.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
oh cool wonder if there are any significant hardware improvements

oh... it still has the touch bar... and the butterfly keyboard...

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So they only updated the Touchbar models? The non-touchbar model is still stuck at dual-core using last-year's processors with no price change. A $2400 starting price (CDN) for a 13-inch laptop using eight-month-old CPUs and nothing much else new is ridiculous.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Depends, would she consider a 1440 X 900 TN panel display to be acceptable in 2018? If so, then it's good enough.

lol, "Honey, is a 1440 x 900 TN acceptable to you in 2018?"

As if most users a MacBook Air are aimed at are really going to see a real world difference for their use case.

Having said that I would wait and see what this new 'low-cost' MacBook range that's runoured pans out to be

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
Are 8 GB of RAM enough in 2018?
Depends on what you're doing and the configuration of your computer (cpu, gpu, ssd), but I'd say yes for the most part. 8gb configurations are still probably the most popular laptop setups today. I'd say for web and email browsing, word processing, photo editing, and, in come cases, light video editing 8gb works just fine.

I was definitely excited to see this news this morning only to be let down by the non-touch bar options be left out. Hopefully, Apple still upgrades the so-called lesser models with 8th gen i5 and i7 CPUs before August.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
200$ to go from 128 to 256gb ? Get fucked Apple. I just bought a 256gb SSD for 60$...

Now, will the improved butterfly keys won't break ?

Will it be easy to change SSD ?

Oct 25, 2017
I would say this is definitely a case of waiting and seeing how reliable the keyboards are for regular consumers.

For people in development and creative industries the spec bumps seem to be getting a positive response, but this does little for me.

I wonder what they're going to do with the rest of the macbook line.

Would 32GB ram model make this a viable gaming laptop?

I wouldn't recommend buying a Macbook Pro for gaming.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Would 32GB ram model make this a viable gaming laptop?

I would say that 16gb would still be sufficient for gaming. Although gaming on a Laptop is limited by throttling (thermal limitations) and the GPU's that are placed (Mid-tier GPU's such as Radeon 555/560). https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...5-Laptop-Review.230096.0.html#toc-performance

However, I haven't experienced a lot of issues regarding thermals and the possibility of having an eGPU attached makes it much easier to get better performance.

As we all know, Mac's aren't really marketed as gaming laptops, but you can game on it if you'd like. Don't expect to run at native resolution (probably 1080p). Also, performance is better in bootcamp for most games.
Hopefully, the GPU's placed in these laptops are better than the ones now and I'm rooting that they've placed the same GPU that's available in the Intel NUC (performance close to GTX 1060).

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
i9/32gb....god that thing would be an absolute beast for video production. I might pick it up next year when it's on sale on BHPhoto.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a used 2015 13' MBP as my first MacBook for school and I'm pretty darn happy with it. My only concern is the anti-glare coming coating coming off when cleaning the screen, which is apparently a problem with these models.

Avoided the new MBP's mainly for the price and all the keyboard issues. Maybe I'll upgrade in a few years!

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
8gb may be enough for some (it's really pushing it nowadays for me), but only 8 on an $1800 laptop? I don't look at windows laptops,are the high end ones still only 8gb too?

I'm not really in the market for one of these. I'd like to upgrade my 2014 13", but these don't seem like a good deal to me.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
From The Verge:

That's all for the good, but it's not what people are worried about. Instead, it's just hard to trust a keyboard after so many reports that it can be rendered inoperable by a grain of sand and that is incredibly difficult and expensive to repair or replace. This new third-generation keyboard wasn't designed to solve those issues, Apple says. In fact, company representatives strenuously insisted that the keyboard issues have only affected a tiny, tiny fraction of its user base. (There's now a four-year repair program for the keyboard in case it fails.)

When we asked Apple representatives at the event exactly how the keyboard was changed to make it quieter, they declined to specify.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/...-touchbar-2018-intel-processor-siri-true-tone

I take it back. Apple's learned nothing.