Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's really ironic that years ago when I purchased my first MBP there wasn't any Windows laptop on the market that offered a better deal. Of course many machines back then are more powerful at the same price point, but none of them managed to strike a good balance between portability, power, battery life, and overall quality. It's a totally different story now. I can hardly go back to Windows now but it's getting a little difficult for me to justify a $3099 purchase knowing of the throttling situation and the fact that XPS 15, along with other quality Windows laptops, exist. Maybe I should just wait for the non-TB model refresh and save the rest of money for my next desktop PC :(

XPS has throttling and heat related issues that dwarf this issue with the 2018 mbp. While build quality of windows laptops have definitely gotten better since my last laptop purchase in 2012 I still feel that other companies quality control issues get swept under the rug because no one gives a shit they way they do when Apple fucks up.

I've been reading nothing hut thread after thread about the XPS throttling. And while at least with that laptop the user CAN open it up and apply some thermal paste to help no one is giving Dell shit.

I spent a few grand on a new XPS that should arrive next week and I'm nervous because of the issues I'm reading online about it. From shitty network cards just fucking breaking the wifi connection to having to undervolt just to get adequate performance. Ghosting on the monitors. Speakers cracking with the sound.

People give apple so much shit but other companies making laptops fucking up way more.

Rumors (huge grain of salt) are that 10nm is still currently a dumpster fire for Intel, at least from a wafer yield perspective. Depending on how willing Intel is to eat that economic pain or quickly fix all of that manufacturing trouble, or we might see more 14nm+++. My expectations are low since Intel has been stumbling on 10nm for years now.

I thought Apple was going to start making their own chips. They need to.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I would find it hard to believe that Apple doesn't already have prototype ARM based Macs with a fully functional version of macOS up and running inside their secret offices in Cupertino.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would find it hard to believe that Apple doesn't already have prototype ARM based Macs with a fully functional version of macOS up and running inside their secret offices in Cupertino.
After the Intel switch I'm inclined to believe anything.

But are we ready to give up vast Windows compatibility for it?

I guess I could. I plan on having a gaming PC for that stuff by then anyway.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XPS has throttling and heat related issues that dwarf this issue with the 2018 mbp. While build quality of windows laptops have definitely gotten better since my last laptop purchase in 2012 I still feel that other companies quality control issues get swept under the rug because no one gives a shit they way they do when Apple fucks up.

I've been reading nothing hut thread after thread about the XPS throttling. And while at least with that laptop the user CAN open it up and apply some thermal paste to help no one is giving Dell shit.

I spent a few grand on a new XPS that should arrive next week and I'm nervous because of the issues I'm reading online about it. From shitty network cards just fucking breaking the wifi connection to having to undervolt just to get adequate performance. Ghosting on the monitors. Speakers cracking with the sound.

People give apple so much shit but other companies making laptops fucking up way more.

I thought Apple was going to start making their own chips. They need to.

They all throttle on the high end chips because these chips weren't designed for what the current market is at aka ultrabooks. More than half the market is Ultrabook or Ultrabook like ie Surface Pro. Intel's current top end just aren't made for this form factor.

I tried to say this pages ago. You could mention anyone. Apple, Dell, HP, insert here...

The best current buy is the i5 as you get the bump on the U series to quadcore, but you don't get all the headaches the top end procs bring while also saying some cash.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It would have to be a slow transition, no way is there an ARM chip ready to replace the Xeon in the iMac Pro for example. And the Pro desktops are the ones likely needing the Windows compatibility the most.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Been using my i9 32gb for a few days, absolutely loving it. Doing my UWP builds in Parallels, no more booting into Boot Camp interrupting my workflow! True tone + night shift is amazing for working late.

Missing my F-keys though. Also having a hard time adjusting to the arrow keys. Other than that I actually quite like these keys and the sound they make. I'm also a fan of USB-C, the only nitpick I have is that I need to pull pretty hard to get them out.

Not sure what I should do with the touch bar

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been using my i9 32gb for a few days, absolutely loving it. Doing my UWP builds in Parallels, no more booting into Boot Camp interrupting my workflow! True tone + night shift is amazing for working late.

Missing my F-keys though. Also having a hard time adjusting to the arrow keys. Other than that I actually quite like these keys and the sound they make. I'm also a fan of USB-C, the only nitpick I have is that I need to pull pretty hard to get them out.

Not sure what I should do with the touch bar

The USB-C ports loosen up a bit over time in my experience with the 2016 model. You can set the Touch Bar to be function keys permanently if you want, even on a per-app basis (so you can set it to always show F keys in Parallels, for example).

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think this transition will be a full 100% transition like the PowerPC and Intel transitions were. I see them keeping Intel chips around for their Pro line for the foreseeable future. Base model will use ARM, Pro models will use Intel.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I guess this as good a place to ask. Anyone know of any reviews that compare these 2018 models to the 2014?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
so I got my keyboard replaced for free on my original touch bar MBP recently. Now that it's back, I've checked the battery with Coconut battery - the charge cycles are super low and the capacity is up. They wouldn't have replaced my battery would they?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
so I got my keyboard replaced for free on my original touch bar MBP recently. Now that it's back, I've checked the battery with Coconut battery - the charge cycles are super low and the capacity is up. They wouldn't have replaced my battery would they?
They would because the battery is a part of the keyboard part. It's a nice little extra ;)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Battery is part of the upper assembly, yeah. That's why an out-of-warranty keyboard replacement will cost you both arms and a leg.
Funny because in my case when I took my 2013 15" rMBP in for a battery replacement they replaced the battery, top case with keyboard and trackpad AND the bottom case only because the feet were falling off for a total of $200 all because the battery was swelling and causing problems with the keyboard and trackpad.

And they forgot to charge me the $100 labor fee.

I got 80% of a new machine (One that was already 4 years old at the time) for $200. I went in there prepared to spend up to $700. I still have both arms and legs.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Funny because in my case when I took my 2013 15" rMBP in for a battery replacement they replaced the battery, top case with keyboard and trackpad AND the bottom case only because the feet were falling off for a total of $200 all because the battery was swelling and causing problems with the keyboard and trackpad.

And they forgot to charge me the $100 labor fee.

I got 80% of a new machine (One that was already 4 years old at the time) for $200. I went in there prepared to spend up to $700. I still have both arms and legs.

And that's not normal at all, because I've had to replace just the top assembly of a 2015 rMBP and they quoted me for $350, without labor. Luckily, it was a workplace computer and they just gave me a new one (garbo Macbook with the first gen butterfly keys).

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
And that's not normal at all, because I've had to replace just the top assembly of a 2015 rMBP and they quoted me for $350, without labor. Luckily, it was a workplace computer and they just gave me a new one (garbo Macbook with the first gen butterfly keys).
It totally shocked me to hear that total. Since it was the battery's fault, and it broke the surrounding parts, they only charged me for the battery itself. I was shocked. This aluminum ain't cheap. They could have gotten away with charging me a lot more and I would have understood totally. It was a whole year after AppleCare would have ended. I went in prepared to spend a bundle, or at least leave with the same machine to save up for a new one.

And they even forgot to charge for labor. Even after quoting it to me.

I was literally using a bluetooth keyboard (sitting on top of the internal keyboard which I had to disable via the Terminal until an OS update stopped allowing me to disable it) and pressing down on the trackpad so hard just to get it to work for over a year before I finally saved up the money. And I didn't even have to spend it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For a frame of reference.
Reviewer rarely compare that far back. The best thing you can do is read one of the original Touch Bar Mac reviews when they were originally introduced. Those would have that information. But it's been 2 years already so reviewers are not using the 2015 MBP as a frame reference anymore.