Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
This whole controversy tells you more about how a sizable portion of society now views tech as dangerous rather than helpful.

This ad is not controversial, infact it's a copy of many other ads (including an almost identical one from LG) to depict the same idea or concept to showcase how one device can be used to do "anything". These sorts of ads were common when the promise of tech was convergence and access.

The difference today is how people perceive tech as a threat where as twenty years ago it was seen as the revolution/what's next. Society is increasingly becoming less apt to see technology as a positive thing and instead as something to question or contain. It doesn't help that this is happening with many other fields of study/advancement's in the world when it comes to how our population is absorbing changes today.

This is why I also think AI flops at the consumer level, at least in its current form, and why Apple is probably wise to stave off throwing in "AI" to please investors alone. The next thing in tech has to meet where people are today… overall many users are signaling they want a more simplistic and task focused approach to tech products. This iPad ad instead uses a formula about homogeneity thats been on repeat for decades, but it's a concept that isn't popular with consumers today.

I agree with your perspective that tech is often viewed as more harmful than helpful. This was never in doubt and quite frankly, the inability for people to understand that as possibility is a major contributor to a lot of the problems being caused by tech today.

People often have a general inability to understand that things that are good and/or meant to be good, aren't inherently good and don't have some innate tendency to stay good. But I'll leave the philosophy of it for another conversation.

However, the ad is absolutely controversial because the idea and intention is ONLY the idea and intention, and it doesn't mean anything without the actual work, which minds the fine details, including the time, place, and how their idea is being communicated. Apple absolutely shit the bed on these details, and that's why they ended up with a shitty, insulting mess and deserves every bit of flack they're getting. Taking an idea that's had iterations before and implementing it here and now does not promise nor justify the same outcomes for the exact same reason. The communal, societal, chronological, cultural contexts are all different, why should they be expecting the same outcomes from a poor execution just because they had some similar notion?

This is also why "well they intended this" means absolute jack shit. Particularly when you're talking about the dynamic of a corporation communicating to their would-be audience. We already know what the fuck-wit ass dime-a-dozen intention is.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
On the upside, won't have to sit through this ad endlessly during the NBA playoffs. Downside, more time for No Flex.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Some of the replies here just got me...
saw-x-tobin-bell.gif

Gotta love the borderline anti-intellectual spin of taking things at total surface value and then acting like it's ridiculous to read deeper into media and how it reflects on the state of the world around us. That plus the defensiveness for a huge corporation - and I have no doubt uncritical and loyal brand consuming drives some of that.

it's times like these I remember a lot of 'progressive' spaces online are only all that progressive insofar as open bigotry isn't allowed. People will bitch when you go to do even the most obvious and uncontroversial of critical analysis of capitalism and corporations.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
Gotta be honest "I don't understand why people are upset" has to be one of my most hated contributions to a topic. When you're talking about, like, MAGA idiots complaining about woke, sure, mentally distance yourself from that level of thinking as much as you want, but for stuff like this, it just comes off as emotional laziness. You can like the ad without making people who don't like it out to have an unreasonable, alien perspective. Just because you don't feel as strongly about something doesn't somehow make you more clear-headed on the subject.

Well said.

This whole controversy tells you more about how a sizable portion of society now views tech as dangerous rather than helpful.

This ad is not controversial, infact it's a copy of many other ads (including an almost identical one from LG) to depict the same idea or concept to showcase how one device can be used to do "anything". These sorts of ads were common when the promise of tech was convergence and access.

The difference today is how people perceive tech as a threat where as twenty years ago it was seen as the revolution/what's next. Society is increasingly becoming less apt to see technology as a positive thing and instead as something to question or contain. It doesn't help that this is happening with many other fields of study/advancement's in the world when it comes to how our population is absorbing changes today.

This is why I also think AI flops at the consumer level, at least in its current form, and why Apple is probably wise to stave off throwing in "AI" to please investors alone. The next thing in tech has to meet where people are today… overall many users are signaling they want a more simplistic and task focused approach to tech products. This iPad ad instead uses a formula about homogeneity thats been on repeat for decades, but it's a concept that isn't popular with consumers today.

Not sure I'm with you on that last paragraph (admittedly I don't understand much about AI), but everything else I think is a very insightful and prescient take. I think this tension is starting to boil over in a few of the discussions I'm seeing here and elsewhere.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
A garbage ad follows a garbage trend and reduces the meaningful into garbage... noticeably absent were any Apple products from being crushed... how brave. Yup, that's trillion dollar Apple right there.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think it's a poor ad, some of the imagery gives me the creeps, but then again less so than some of the highly effective nineties playstation ads. I can also see the bad optics of colorful nostalgic products getting squashed by the machine, though it's clear that this isn't the message the ad was going for, the message itself is pretty straightforward too. So a poor ad, but some of the outrage seems to be people in bitch eating crackers mode. Of course that so many people are in bitch eating crackers mode should worry Apple greatly. I feel like people in general and even the Apple faithful are starting to get tired of Apple's bullshit.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
And the sort of tone policing / 'more important things' shit too, I've been noticing in this thread too. As if people can't care about multiple things, for one thing. For another thing it's basically borderline concern trolling / shaming people into being quiet or portraying them as unreasonable :/

Especially when some of us folks personally know artists personally affected by all the shit going on and for whom this ad struck an emblematic bad note with, these feelings we have are valid. Honestly some people can just piss off with the insinuation it's ridiculous outrage, it's one thing to not take issue with the ad and it's another entire self-centered thing altogether to tell people they can't take issue with it or are dumb for doing so.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Gotta be honest "I don't understand why people are upset" has to be one of my most hated contributions to a topic. When you're talking about, like, MAGA idiots complaining about woke, sure, mentally distance yourself from that level of thinking as much as you want, but for stuff like this, it just comes off as emotional laziness. You can like the ad without making people who don't like it out to have an unreasonable, alien perspective. Just because you don't feel as strongly about something doesn't somehow make you more clear-headed on the subject.

100%. I called it out earlier. I don't even see the point of loudly proclaiming "this bothered you but guess what it didn't bother me!"

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the need for an apology. It just looks like a fun way to say "look we crammed all this shit in here".

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
100%. I called it out earlier. I don't even see the point of loudly proclaiming "this bothered you but guess what it didn't bother me!"
It's an ironic form of virtue signalling where people have to loudly proclaim they didn't care about something to passive aggressively deride the people who think differently. Much easier than mounting an argument addressing what's being said.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they didnt even destroy real things

they dont make hydraulic presses that big

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It's an ironic form of virtue signalling where people have to loudly proclaim they didn't care about something to passive aggressively deride the people who think differently. Much easier than mounting an argument addressing what's being said.

If it wasn't for other people being offended I would never be offended type energy.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
*ten pages of people explaining why they dislike the ad*

Me, a productive member of the communtity: "I don't get why people dislike the ad."

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
The backlash to this on twitter was pretty huge. ngl, I thought more people would be upset about it here too, due to the general disdain of AI and the like around here.

I thought the ad was pretty bad tbh.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The backlash to this on twitter was pretty huge. ngl, I thought more people would be upset about it here too, due to the general disdain of AI and the like around here.

I thought the ad was pretty bad tbh.
I largely don't think that Era is all that pro-artist despite the siloing of AI discussion.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I wanted to watch the video first and pass my opinion before reading the thread. I can see why after reading some of the responses, but that's not how I interpreted the ad.

Edit: and to be clear I've been vocally against AI stealing from artist and all that across multiple threads. I use AI for coding and I think it's snake oil.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I largely don't think that Era is all that pro-artist despite the siloing of AI discussion.
era is pro-gaming, not pro-artist. some of these replies have never made it more obvious

wonder how much of the Gaming threads decrying studio closures aren't about talent losses, but just release losses

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I think it's the video game fandom sort of skew that does it. There are a lot of disheartening anti-art/anti-intellectual gaming takes not just on this site, but just about everywhere you go. And a huge undervaluing of the artists/devs behind them too.
era is pro-gaming, not pro-artist. some of these replies have never made it more obvious

wonder how much of the Gaming threads decrying studio closures aren't about talent losses, but just release losses
Ack, was too slow, you stole the point right out from under me. 😔

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
I feel like if the ad was like 15 seconds long, and the "crushing" happened instantaneously, the ad would've been fine. The fact that the ad spends so much time focusing in on things getting twisted, broken, and destroyed gives the ad a mean-spirited vibe, especially in the context of all these concerns around AI floating around the tech landscape.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

The multiple insinuations from many that they'd be less bothered if Studio C was closed instead of Studio B gives you a good idea on that one.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017

I see, well I wasn't sure. But when I saw the ad yesterday and the quite fierce outrage, I suspected similar reaction here, which to be fair, some people didn't like it.

Honestly I don't see how Apple even signed off on this ad, but apparently it's "not a big deal" to some so...

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I see, well I wasn't sure. But when I saw the ad yesterday and the quite fierce outrage, I suspected similar reaction here, which to be fair, some people didn't like it.

Honestly I don't see how Apple even signed off on this ad, but apparently it's "not a big deal" to some so...
Yeah I was sort of disheartened to see takes on this the other day that at best essentially said 'it's a bit of a weird ad, still consuming the latest product tho'.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
The Ad on first sighting did make me feel queasy. Considering how inherently wasteful that masterpiece of a piece of hardware is that's artificially chained down by lack of real things to push it with. When I saw I was just looking to see if these things were cheap end of life objects and the fact that they clearly weren't made me feel… queasy. All that beautiful stuff, dead. And it was all so slow and visceral. I didn't like it

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Dismissive commentary
The things people are equating this ad to are ridiculous

Coalponfire

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 25, 2024
People will bitch when you go to do even the most obvious and uncontroversial of critical analysis of capitalism and corporations.

Is that what this is because it isn't clear if so? This controversy seems to be one created by media companies in order to write a fluffed up article about a non issue. This thread feels like an exercise where folks are trying to find deep meaning about this advertisement because it crushed a Technics 1200 turntable, toys & instruments among other art supplies.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I will dismiss your comment, because it was bad. The "context" that you have some special knowledge as someone who used to do art that makes dropping some bullshit "how dare you pay attention to this" "I can't believe anyone cares" take changes nothing. If anything it made your post more embarrassing because if it's true, you should know better. And news flash: You don't have a point, here, and I don't have a narrative. All I've done is directly quote your bad takes. Since you're struggling to understand people's problem with this content, maybe work on that instead of moving on to the meta-commentary, eh? Your "point" that there is some other bad thing happening out there that we could be talking about and this is all just uppity lefty anti-corpos waving their hands can fuck off to the Joe Rogan subreddit or something. Especially since you seem to hate it here, bitterly posting about the "classic ERA on display" like some fucking Twitter troll.

Your post literally mirrored in both content and structure the aggrieved stand-up comedian complaining about "woke." I can't believe you're in here acting self-righteous when you actually posted: "Only reason this one has got lots of people riled up is because a small group of people got riled up about it and it went viral." You are posting in service of the interests of a multinational corporation against the protests of the creative community, acting like there's no merit to anyone looking at the optics of corporate messaging, trying to appeal to authority while you do it, and then when your dismissive, shitty language is compared unfavorably in examples where race makes it really obvious why said optics actually matter, you have the nerve to get upset for being called out on it. Nah, you can keep all of that. I'm not interested in that, today.

Tbh dude, half of this is just you projecting. Putting words in my mouth, when again, you know nothing about me. 'Used to do art' proves my point precisely. If you bothered to read my post properly you'd have understood that this is still very much something I do for a living. Creatives and the industry concern me massively and the AI shit that I see out there is terrifying not just as a creator, but also terrifies me for how the average consumer will respond to it.
The amount of aggressive language you use to manipulate my posts into what you've read it as is mind-boggling. "how dare you pay attention to this" "I can't believe anyone cares". Did I say that? Did I fucking say any of that? And that you claim to have directly quoted me? What a joke.

I completely understand people's problems with the ad. My opinion on the matter is that I wish we as a collective had the same response to other social issues. I personally find it frustrating that we only get outraged by just this stuff. But go off, I find it laughable that you'd accuse me of enjoying my time more on a Joe Rogan subreddit or spending it on Twitter trolling. If you knew me at all you'd know that couldn't be further from the kind of person I am. I use ResetEra because I do enjoy the thoughts of people despite your accusations. But because I enjoy it I can't be critical of it?

Your post is really concerning actually, using some really venomous language and assertions. Are you ok? You are surely not that triggered by a controversial iPad ad to respond like this. Did I ever come for you at all? You say how I can keep all of this because you don't want it today, I am saying this right back to you, you can keep all of your shit today, and leave me the fuck alone.

Mods please lock this fucking thread up, fuck this.