Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I was talking about the marketing firm comparing this to the 1984 ad and the people in this thread comparing it to racist ads, but feel free to naturally assume if I'm not overtly and vehemently against this ad I am against artists of various mediums.
i wasnt talking about you

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Not remotely outraged or taking to social media to kick up a fuss, but watching it live I did find it crass and misjudged, while weirdly sanitised in its closing moments.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I was talking about the marketing firm comparing this to the 1984 ad and the people in this thread comparing it to racist ads, but feel free to naturally assume if I'm not overtly and vehemently against this ad I am against artists of various mediums.

We have some real context comprehension issues in this thread. I brought up the racist PSP ad because people were insisting that the Apple ad should be judged on Apple's intent and not how the actual content of the ad could be interpreted. I wanted the user's response to the PSP ad to see if they felt the same way about it.

The ads are obviously different, I was critiquing their argument by applying it to another example.

Oct 29, 2017
Here's Tyson. Don't stand under Tyson.
6mdkn4uegmp81.jpg

I said D...
This is s good example of one of the odd visual choices they went with in the ad. Compared to the images of a real factory, the set design in the ad looks like the lair of a supervillain.
There are a number of unintentional little things going on in the ad that combined reinforce that cold sterile feeling.

So the press itself doesn't look like it is part of a manufacturing process, just sort of a lonely machine that does the crushing for amusement.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Is that what this is because it isn't clear if so? This controversy seems to be one created by media companies in order to write a fluffed up article about a non issue. This thread feels like an exercise where folks are trying to find deep meaning about this advertisement because it crushed a Technics 1200 turntable, toys & instruments among other art supplies.
I myself saw genuine backlash elsewhere, and it pissed off myself and other artists I know. It is not some 'fake outrage'. it's just that people on a lot of sites, including this one, not only either didn't see that in it or didn't care, but choose to actively ridicule those who did take issue with it.

edit: okay nevermind it's some schmuck's banned alt lmao

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm not an artist, nor am I particularly anti-tech/capitalism, and while I didn't have a strong negative reaction to the ad I didn't like it. And It' s not hard to see why many did get really put off by it, it's really not that hard to get. Do some really not understand why there was a negative reaction or being deliberately obtuse?

Plus it's not very Apple like imo

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
There are a number of unintentional little things going on in the ad that combined reinforce that cold sterile feeling.
Just about all their in-house marketing feels sanitized like that. Their presentations keep looking like some post-apocalyptic AI hallucination where a single person stands alone in a mile-wide room, speaking to a population now long extinct.
In this ad, it was the contrast between that sterile look and lingering shots of destruction that especially seemed off-putting. See how much care and polish we put into carefully destroying this artful thing? Now look closely at this other one.

Last edited:

MegaZubat

Oct 25, 2017
like ppl make art and music on computers too

fuck them i guess
Hi I'm one of those people. I don't like this ad because (like explained many times in the thread in much better posts than I can make) its just plain insensitive to the conversation surrounding art and preserving the culture and history of art that's been happening lately. By utilizing camera pans, framing, and pleasant audio the ad romanticizes the destruction of traditional art tools, instruments, and art sculptures and compressing it down into a tablet. Traditional and digital art can and has been coexisting and the community has been great about lifting up both. The ad by Apple is seen by many as destroying one to lift up the other.

Again others have put it much better but yeah.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh dude, half of this is just you projecting. Putting words in my mouth, when again, you know nothing about me. 'Used to do art' proves my point precisely. If you bothered to read my post properly you'd have understood that this is still very much something I do for a living. Creatives and the industry concern me massively and the AI shit that I see out there is terrifying not just as a creator, but also terrifies me for how the average consumer will respond to it.
The amount of aggressive language you use to manipulate my posts into what you've read it as is mind-boggling. "how dare you pay attention to this" "I can't believe anyone cares". Did I say that? Did I fucking say any of that? And that you claim to have directly quoted me? What a joke.

I completely understand people's problems with the ad. My opinion on the matter is that I wish we as a collective had the same response to other social issues. I personally find it frustrating that we only get outraged by just this stuff. But go off, I find it laughable that you'd accuse me of enjoying my time more on a Joe Rogan subreddit or spending it on Twitter trolling. If you knew me at all you'd know that couldn't be further from the kind of person I am. I use ResetEra because I do enjoy the thoughts of people despite your accusations. But because I enjoy it I can't be critical of it?

Your post is really concerning actually, using some really venomous language and assertions. Are you ok? You are surely not that triggered by a controversial iPad ad to respond like this. Did I ever come for you at all? You say how I can keep all of this because you don't want it today, I am saying this right back to you, you can keep all of your shit today, and leave me the fuck alone.

Mods please lock this fucking thread up, fuck this.
That faux concern is condescending as hell, just so you know. Strangely enough, I'm more worried about you. Ordering mods to lock a thread because you don't like that someone challenged you on the initial post you made. Just ignore the thread.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Hi I'm one of those people. I don't like this ad because (like explained many times in the thread in much better posts than I can make) its just plain insensitive to the conversation surrounding art and preserving the culture and history of art that's been happening lately. By utilizing camera pans, framing, and pleasant audio the ad romanticizes the destruction of traditional art tools, instruments, and art sculptures and compressing it down into a tablet. Traditional and digital art can and has been coexisting and the community has been great about lifting up both. The ad by Apple is seen by many as destroying one to lift up the other.

its literally just "all this is in an ipad"

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada

t h i s
just disheartening and a bit sickening that people are just outright in 'it's ridiculous of you to care more than I do about this'. It's one thing to not personally see that in it or not be bothered, it's another thing to actively reject empathy and ridicule/downplay other people's feelings and experiences and perspectives.
Ordering mods to lock a thread because someone challenged you on the initial post you made.
maxresdefault.jpg

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
like what art being destroyed does the emoji represent

y'all making 10 paragraph posts when thats just like "you can text"

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The ironic thing with concern trolling about artists who use computers to create (like me; hello) is that they've been considered the most disposable and hit hardest with this AI boom. They've already been fucked, largely with the blessing of the demographics who are all over this thread about how much they don't care.

But yeah, it's people who don't like the ad who are the real problem.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
like what art being destroyed does the emoji represent

y'all making 10 paragraph posts when thats just like "you can text"
You could pull this logic for anything, just sort of dickishly and reductively boiling down someone's perspective/feelings and honing in on one superficial aspect to mock them / portray them as silly for caring about something you don't. It also certainly wasn't damn emojis anyone was upset about so it's an odd thing to focus on as if that's what's bothering people.

Again, it's one thing to personally not care. It's another thing to ridicule others for caring.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
If you asked me "how do we communicate that it's all these things in an iPad?", I don't think "let's lovingly show them bending, breaking, and exploding into hundreds of shards in a big hydraulic press" would have been in my first thirty ideas.
people love hydraulic press videos

thats all

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
The whole ad is like it takes pleasure in destroying those things. Somebody should change the song to something from a horror movie, I bet it will fit. There are many ways they could have gone without the "graphic" imagery and still make the point that ipad can do all those things.

But hey corporate worshipping is the new religion of our times and god forbid you say anything bad about them. Apple loves artists so much they increased the price of the ipad and you have to buy a new pen lol.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
That faux concern is condescending as hell, just so you know. Strangely enough, I'm more worried about you. Ordering mods to lock a thread because you don't like that someone challenged you on the initial post you made. Just ignore the thread.
Again, just like the person I was replying to, you're asserting and making your own assumptions on to me. My concern is genuine and there is nothing faux about it. And suggesting about closing the thread has nothing to do with me being challenged thanks. If I didn't want a discussion then I wouldn't post. What I don't appreciate is being spoken for and the things that I'm saying to be twisted, which is exactly what you're doing now. Any suggestion about closing this thread is everything to do with the toxic conversation between users and not seeing the benefit for any party.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like, "hey, I like and respect artists, I really do, but I also have an Apple logo sticker on my car so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont own any apple devises, y'all just weird

edit: i had an iphone 11 but it died

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason that Paul Verhoeven quote lives rent-free in my head

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
This thread feels like, "hey, I like and respect artists, I really do, but I also have an Apple logo sticker on my car so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
again, literally the other day there were posts that would without irony go in one sentence like 'this is a really iffy ad, i'm still getting this latest product tho'. The sheer whiplash i got reading shit lol

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What if they were crushing a game studio instead

We literally had a thread a few days ago with people appalled by Microsoft marketing a fire themed controller with a slogan of "Feel the burn!" less than an hour of announcing multiple studio closures and people losing their jobs and nobody being upset about people being upset so I think the answer is pretty clear.

Oct 29, 2017
On paper the concept of the press is probably still solid with a couple of changes. Just make it look more like the items are ingredients and less like trash being disposed. Which was all in the visuals.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
people love hydraulic press videos

thats all

What if instead of a piano and arcade and art supplies being crushed...

Trophies and accessories and doggy beds and one of those Joe Cool house.
There's (cgi but realistic) Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Labrador, and Dachshund also being compressed. There's no blood because it's tasteful but you can hear yelps under a sterotypical apple music track.

and at the end of the ad, it's revealed that it's Nintendogs. You can find it all in the game.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
What if instead of a piano and arcade and art supplies being crushed...

Trophies and accessories and doggy beds and one of those Joe Cool house.
There's (cgi but realistic) Golden Retriever, Chihuahua, Labrador, and Dachshund also being compressed. There's no blood because it's tasteful but you can hear yelps under a sterotypical apple music track.

and at the end of the ad, it's revealed that it's Nintendogs. You can find it all in the game.
nintendoggy style

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's hard to read some of the posts throughout this thread and not imagine that the poster isn't deep in their feelings about the idea that someone might have gotten a negative read from this trailer. Maybe it's just disbelief. Seems pretty clear where many are getting their read from. Hell I didn't even know what the critique was when I watched and I still thought the ad had an eerie and sterile atmosphere. Big miss by whoever put this together. Pokemon did it better 20+ years ago, and that's the real crime. It's hacky.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
ive learned the error of my ways

if im not offended by this ad for a tablet computer i must not care about;

-art
-artists
-video game studios being closed
-musicians
-the crafts of building a piano
-the crafts of fucking a piano
-symbolism

i am now offended by this ad

not only because i dont wanna get yelled at, but because my heart grew like the grunch in that cartoon, which is also art

and now i know that the only thing thats allowed to destroy a piano is a movie, cuz its art cancelling out art, so its like, a wash