Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i do wanna be serious for a sec and apologize for trolling

sometimes i get some attention pointed at me and i can't help but be a bit of an asshole

didn't mean to try and invalidate y'alls feelings, sorry

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Basically it comes down to empathy. If you aren't directly affected by the current state of affairs, are you able or willing to understand why someone who is might have a different - but entirely legitimate - perspective on this ad? Many here seem like they are not. It's just a flagrant lack of empathy on display from some.

"I don't get it, therefore being at all bothered is unreasonable."

"I don't get it, therefore the only way you could be upset is if you want to be."

Some people just need to learn to shut up and find another thread if they don't understand the one they're in.

(Not to take it out on you specifically, of course, you're fine).

iOS has emulators now. Let's get a bunch of pristine vintage consoles and hard-to-find classic games and put them under the hydraulic press. In 4K slow-mo. Close-up shots and angles.

This place will love that.
Yeah I think maybe it's an issue of empathy. Like, these are hobbiest items removed from most people's day to day but if you crushed something that had emotional meaning to the person the message might be more understandable? Like I dunno, a custom gaming PC, a console, a car, favorite action figures, something the person treated delicately and with attachment and then see it getting slowly and callously destroyed.

Then again, maybe some people just never connect with their possessions at that level. Guess it might be harder when it's not something used to make something.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

sometimes i get some attention pointed at me and i can't help but be a bit of an asshole

Agreed, I was more of a dickhead than I ever want to be on the last page too. My opinions are still what they are, but I got rude and that's not cool. My bad!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Appreciated. I'll also apologize for my rudeness.

This ad isn't offensive.

Comparing this issue to people losing their jobs is actually offensive.
The people whose jobs are on the line make up a significant portion of the ones who didn't like the ad.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON

Agreed, I was more of a dickhead than I ever want to be on the last page too. My opinions are still what they are, but I got rude and that's not cool. My bad!
Thanks guys, I got too heated too and a lot of people did, so I sort of understand being teed up and wanting to get a bit "internety." I also apologize and let's get back to more fun topics. Imma switch to steamed hams/aurora mode myself

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I was really missing controversies around the most silly and irrelevant things like this.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
It's always the most tiring part. Not just that things are getting worse, but to the very end you'll be portrayed as ridiculous for worrying or taking issue and nobody will ever go back and reflect if and when the worst comes to pass. Though what I speak of is more specific to AI topics hah.

You definitely aren't alone there. Had to just stop talking about art with some people offline because the condescending apathy was too much.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Its bad, if it was an Ad for AI music generation WHILE crushing the instruments....my lord a riot.

Last edited:

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
This ad is the perfect mirror to where we are in 2024. Everything is a product and if you don't do better tomorrow than you did today, then why are you even? Get crushed. And oh, you dropped our apology, please carry it on your way out.

I hope they get even worse feedback post WWDC when the "AI" comes out. Shareholders versus creators: didn't even have a snowball's chance in hell.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
Ipads aren't taking jobs, AI is. I'm asking you to take that seriously instead of comparing it to a silly ad.

I have been taking that seriously. I'm telling you to not speak down to those who see a connection between a destructive attitude toward the humanities and the destruction of humanities-related jobs.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"This ad strikes me as tasteless because the imagery (admittedly unintentionally, but that's also an issue) symbolizes the existential concern a large number of people are facing right now."

"I don't know what the issue is, personally I don't care. Here's why you're an illiterate baby for disliking the thing that gleefully raises the spectre of your very real fears for the future."

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Crazy ass interpretation, thankfully I'm not really losing my sleep like you.

Why do you assume that the other person is losing sleep?
Does it give you a higher ground to assume that the other side is mad or emotional, and that you are the rational tech expert that uses logic?
Why do you feel the need to "defend" a billion dolloar tech corporation that doesn't care abou you?

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Frustrations were had, including on my end, but honestly glad to see it's cooling down a bit. Hard not to feel strongly about this stuff when all the guff going on in the world right now affects close friends so deeply and something comes along that seems emblematic of it all.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Clicked ad expecting overreaction. Was schooled. This is so bad I can't believe it made it out of the ad workshop.

The song choice is the cherry on the cake.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
just watched for the first time. hard not to see the destruction as destruction. a simple redesign of the actual compactor or a different execution of the same idea would work better.

Xin_Eohp

Apr 28, 2018
The comparison with the Pokemon ad is stupid frankly, you don't heard the crushing of the Pokémons's bones, part of their bodies flying around or their blood spilling off the bus, so you just feel their size being compacted to fit inside a Game Boy, not them being killed and remplaced by just data.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The thing I'm most mad about is that they can fit all those instruments into an iPad, but just can't find the room for a copy of macOS…

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy ass interpretation, thankfully I'm not really losing my sleep like you.

I'd rather lose sleep over working artists losing jobs and being steamrolled by AI and tech bros than whether Kendrick lifted some lyrics from some tweets.

But keep going off on caring about irrelevant shit I guess.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried reading the sentences in the original post around the embedded video? They contain helpful clues as to what some people didn't like about the advertisement. There's even a link to an entire article talking about it.
It's really not that deep. I didn't say no one found something offensive about the ad. I said I watched it and waited to see something that would trigger the responses I read in this thread and didn't see it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can see what the thought behind the ad was, but I thought it was very poorly executed and made me feel pretty bad watching it. You can convey "hey this thin tablet can do all those things" without having to actually physically destroy creative tools with a massive industrial press. Its the exact opposite of the 1984 ad.

In todays world, where human creativity gets outsourced to machines by money men and big tech, this ad echoes exactly that, and thus sends that message, and its shit. Its tone-deaf and the exact opposite message artist and creatives want to see, the exact audience they are trying to market their tablet to.

DuckSauce

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 19, 2023
Edit: apologies, I didn't actually see this had 13 pages to it already and that a lot has been discussed in-depth about the tone and delivery. I now I understand where those concerned are coming from, and can appreciate their time in providing those views.

I will keep my original post below but note that it is now in a different context of opinion to what I now see.
the optics of the ad while tech is currently replacing creatives with ai is bad.
I cannot fathom how you would get AI taking over creativeness out of this ad? That has to be incredibly far reaching, because all the ad demonstrates is the content sandwiched into the iPad. Literally nothing about AI, about waste, really about anything else.

Such a weird rhetoric from many on the internet, but hey everyone has a right to opinion 🤷

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Put googly eyes on all the objects and play this Garbage over it instead:

youtu.be

Garbage #1 Crush

HI ALL PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP IF POSSIBLE, SUPPORT THIS CHANNELTO KEEP IT ALIVE, BY EITHER SPONSERING OR TIPPING THROUGH TH BELOW LINK, WOULD BE MUCH APPRE...

f669cf80-1807-4013-b991-2f1871f04ac3_text.gif

Was it CGI or not? I keep seeing people argue it is CGI. That's some damn good CGI.
Most upscale object themed ads are (cars, phones, etc). Fincher sort of inadvertedly popularised the approach by using commercials and music videos as dry runs for the stuff he wanted to do in movies, which made the tech more available + the look more desirable. See the almost 100% CGI music video for Only in 2005:

www.youtube.com

Nine Inch Nails - Only (Dirty)(Official Video)

Music video by Nine Inch Nails performing Only. (C) 2005 Interscope Records#NineInchNails #Only #Vevo
www.youtube.com

Nine Inch Nails: Behind the scenes of the Only video

Behind the scenes of the "Only" video.Almost entirely CG music video by David Fincher. With a grueling schedule and little of the frontman's time, Digital Do...

Or his car commercials and other stuff from the same 00s period.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I cannot fathom how you would get AI taking over creativeness out of this ad? That has to be incredibly far reaching, because all the ad demonstrates is the content sandwiched into the iPad. Literally nothing about AI, about waste, really about anything else.

Such a weird rhetoric from many on the internet, but hey everyone has a right to opinion 🤷

And it's not just Apple, but the wider tech industry and it's impact on art and culture?
And as said before, it's not just western artist that have not had a positive view on it.
In Asia, Japan, Taiwan, China, which also has not had a positive view of the advertisement too.
www.resetera.com

Apple makes rare apology for their new "Crush" ad after backlash

Well, Japan pride itself on it's history of craftmanship 工芸, usually with a family and over 100 year of history of perfecting their specific craft(More famous are usually Doll, ceramic, metal etc), and it's not just Japan and China, there are also such crafting family all over asia. We also...

In japan, not just because of the historical view on artisan craftman that have 100 year of history.

But also the Mottainai in japan, although it has it's orirgin in buddhism, and the native shintosim os Tsukumogami(Beleiving that there are spirit in all object) it was brought to the modern area in Japan through the work of Women POC like Wangarĩ Maathai from Kenya and Marina Silva from Brazil.

Dismissing it as NOT DIRECTLY LITERAL, or how can you "see" something that many people have already explained, and Apple itself have apologized for is a very odd literal mechicanl look at art and culture, and how tech and men have push backed on minority and their involvment into art an d culture.

Apple themself saying they are focusing on AI?

Apple unveils 'outrageously powerful chip for AI' in latest iPads

Apple has unveiled new iPads featuring what it called "an outrageously powerful chip for AI", signalling the Silicon Valley giant's growing focus on artificial intelligence services.
Tim Millet, Apple's vice-president of platform architecture, hailed the combination of M4's central processing unit, graphics processor and dedicated AI capabilities — which it calls its "neural engine" — as a big step forward over its previous chips.
He took a swipe at Apple's rivals by pointing out the iPhone maker had "for years" been dedicating a portion of its processors to AI features, known as the neural engine, claiming it was "more powerful" than the equivalent chip in "any AI PC today".
Apple's latest chips give it an opportunity to bring many AI features that run in the cloud on to its customers' own devices, making apps run faster and offering greater privacy.

DuckSauce