Dec 11, 2017
It's more obvious a list of where popular culture has shifted to in the past ten years, for better or worse. From my end it's a junk list, but that's just my personal taste. Some of the omissions are glaring from my end, but I'm getting older and know things move on.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Opening up to more than just one album per artists just creates more questions about the earlier spots lol. Both Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall deserve to be there.

Not a bad top ten though, if a little safe. But I suppose that's to be expected on a list like this.

It creates real questions about The Beatles in particular. You're telling me Revolver and Abbey Road were too 25, but Astroworld got more votes than Sgt. Pepper?

Very suspect.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never expected these artists to be listed, but shout out to some of the best artists ever who were not represented here (unless I missed any):

Gas
Toumani Diabaté & Ballaké Sissoko
Choying Drolma
Jorge Ben
Steve Reich
Converge
Yes
The Mars Volta
Fela Kuti
Mew
Milton Nascimento
Haruomi Hasono
Piero Piccioni
The Necks
Justin Timberlake
Ennio Morricone
Frances Gall
Melvins
Actress
Coldplay
Alva Noto
Drexciya
Boredoms
The Ronettes
Tool
Tatsuro Yamashita
Sufjan Stevens
Cocteau Twins
Sam Cooke
Talk Talk
Oval
Pat Metheny
Novos Baianos
Pharoah Sanders
The Knife
Animal Collective
Li Jianhong
Joanna Newsom
Arthur Russel
Tom Waits
Sigur Ros

rac

Oct 25, 2017
Drop astroworld off the list

You can also drop flower boy off and then put Igor where Eilish is

Better yet put it where 1989 is and then put 1989 where Eilish is

Dec 11, 2017
It creates real questions about The Beatles in particular. You're telling me Revolver and Abbey Road were too 25, but Astroworld got more votes than Sgt. Pepper?

Very suspect.

Hahaha holy shit I just realised Sgt Pepper isn't there. In the top 100. When it's widely regarded as one of the most obvious goat albums. Le fucking mayo at this list.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I never expected these artists to be listed, but shout out to some of the best artists ever who were not represented here (unless I missed any):

Gas
Toumani Diabaté & Ballaké Sissoko
Choying Drolma
Jorge Ben
Steve Reich
Converge
Yes
The Mars Volta
Fela Kuti
Mew
Milton Nascimento
Haruomi Hasono
Piero Piccioni
The Necks
Justin Timberlake
Ennio Morricone
Frances Gall
Melvins
Actress
Coldplay
Alva Noto
Drexciya
Boredoms
The Ronettes
Tool
Tatsuro Yamashita
Sufjan Stevens
Cocteau Twins
Sam Cooke
Talk Talk
Oval
Pat Metheny
Novos Baianos
Pharoah Sanders
The Knife
Animal Collective
Li Jianhong
Joanna Newsom
Arthur Russel
Tom Waits
Sigur Ros
I just realized no Sam Cooke…

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People complaining instead of being grateful they only got 1 Taylor album and not 4.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Eminem Show should have been top 20 imo

Also I just wish there was more rock/metal on these top lists other than the usual suspect that show up every time.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My friend is a Swiftie of the highest magnitude and her reaction was the TV version of 1989 being on here is label politics lol
I will say my stance on 1989 can be controversial, but I wouldn't have picked either anyway. Red TV, Speak Now TV, evermore and TTPD would have been for me.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
No idea who's Lauryn Hill either lol
I'm listening to the album and she reminds me of Janelle Monae (ofc it's the other way though)

Regardless, though, quality is a very subjective thing in music, imo, and highly contextual, which was something Apple was going for. I like Amy Winehouse but would never put in a top 10-20 albums. Kinda crazy that there's 0 brazillian albums in this though, something like "Construção" by "Chico Buarque" or "Clube da Esquina" is definitely top 10 material to me, but again, list is very US-centric.

I mean yeah that's her biggest influence. Bigger than Prince in my mind.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to admit it, but Thriller is better than Purple Rain

Prince is still a better artist though, go @ your grandpappy

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced if ERA made a list that Linkin Park would be on it. That's how little I think of y'all.

Dec 11, 2017
I'm actually shocked Arcade Fire isn't on there. I don't even like Arcade Fire but they're usually used as the default "there has to be an indie album on here" selection

No Pearl Jam. No Blur. No Chili Peppers. I mean there's not even any Pumpkins in there. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were generationally good albums. Pick one at least.

Jul 1, 2020
I will say my stance on 1989 can be controversial, but I wouldn't have picked either anyway. Red TV, Speak Now TV, evermore and TTPD would have been for me.
It's the weakest of all of the rereleases. It has the fewest vault tracks and it just sounds weird because some of the drum samples were either turned way down in the mix or replaced with weaker sounding ones.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
1989 was her last good album though!
Like I said, living in the past.

It's the weakest of all of the rereleases. It has the fewest vault tracks and it just sounds weird because some of the drum samples were either turned way down in the mix or replaced with weaker sounding ones.
I won't disagree it's the weakest but it's also the only version of 1989 I'll listen to now so we make do.

Only one Taylor album is on my personal top 100 list...

Speak Now the GOAT 🙏
You better mean the TV. Also listen to ever…more.

Dec 4, 2017
London
10. Lemonade
9. Nevermind
8. Back to Black
7. good kid maad city
6. Songs in the key of life
5. Blonde
4. Purple Rain
3. Abbey Road
2. Thriller
1. Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Hmm. I need to re-listen to Miseducation again sometime. The only song I can currently remember is Doo Woo (That Thing) so that's a little mystifying to me and I've always personally thought it to be rather overrated.

But on a couple of the other picks it highlights a bit of an issue I have with some of these evergreen 'bests' - I love Abbey Road, and over time, it's slowly become probably my favourite Beatles album. But it has two bad songs on it - Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Octopuses Garden. Similarly Thriller, a really good album with some exceptional singles on it, has the egregious This Girl Is Mine.

I dunno, to me a 'best' album of all time needs to not have one single dud on it. I need to be enthralled by it from beginning to end. It's why I would never put a Beatles album on my own personal list because as great as they are, as a matter of course, they almost always included a terrible novelty jaunt, a Yellow Submarine, or an Ob-La-Di, or a When I'm Sixty Four.

Other personal take-aways:

Parade is better than Purple Rain (I'll fight for this take)

Purple Rain probably still deserves to be there, though.

Homework is better than Discovery (again I'll fight)

Songs From The Big Chair should be in the top 100 somewhere. As should Wish You Were Here and probably Animals too. And Moon Safari.

Spirit of Eden not being there anywhere is an affront to decency and frankly, I'm tired of that album being routinely overlooked.

EDIT: Off to burn my Apple devices.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
So now that we have the full list we can take look at who is not there (just to put some of the choices in perspective):

The Who, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, James Brown, The Band, The Doors, REM, Curtis Mayfield, Jimmy Cliff, Simon & Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Al Green, Sam Cooke, Black Sabbath, New Order, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, The Band, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, The Ramones, Stooges, The Sex Pistols, John Lennon, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Dusty Springfield, Sly and the Family Stone, My Bloody Valentine, Fela Kuti, PJ Harvey, The Pogues, Queen, Abba, Erik B. and Rakim, Van Morrison, Liz Phair, Lucinda Williams, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, The Allman Brothers, Pixies, Hole, Television, Fiona Apple, Parlament-Funkadelic, Blur, Pulp, Pearl Jam, DJ Shadow, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Genesis, King Crimson, Sonic Youth, Leonard Cohen, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Pavement, Wilco, Beck, Sufjan Stevens, M.I.A, Janelle Monae, Aphex Twin...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There's significantly more than 100 incredible albums across the history of even Anglo music so idk why people get surprised when peeps are missing. Where's Ariana, for instance.

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooooo this was all just to promote Lauryn's supposedly long-awaited sophomore album, right?

Not that I'm complaining.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
94f0653d30bd368e5dfe492f0f60e01e.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So now that we have the full list we can take look at who is not there (just to put some of the choices in perspective):

The Who, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, James Brown, The Band, The Doors, REM, Curtis Mayfield, Jimmy Cliff, Simon & Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Al Green, Sam Cooke, Black Sabbath, New Order, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, The Band, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, The Ramones, Stooges, The Sex Pistols, John Lennon, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Dusty Springfield, Sly and the Family Stone, My Bloody Valentine, Fela Kuti, PJ Harvey, The Pogues, Queen, Abba, Erik B. and Rakim, Van Morrison, Liz Phair, Lucinda Williams, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, The Allman Brothers, Pixies, Hole, Television, Fiona Apple, Parlament-Funkadelic, Blur, Pulp, Pearl Jam, DJ Shadow, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Genesis, King Crimson, Sonic Youth, Leonard Cohen, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, Pavement, Wilco, Beck, Sufjan Stevens, M.I.A, Janelle Monae, Aphex Twin...
….

Just terrible. A shame.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Congrats you just wrote a list for The Rolling Stone ;)

RockAction

Oct 27, 2017
I know these lists are only designed at this point to garner attention and comments but this one is pretty wacky

it is phrased as "Best Album" not most important or greatest or something else so I'll take it at face value that theyre judging this purely on the contents of each album alone not really against each other and certainly not in historical context

I'm fine with Sgt Pepper not being on there, yes its important historically but outside a few songs which would themselves be on a Best Song list, its not great on its own, certainly opposite their other stuff, Abbey Road makes sense

Thriller I can see where it is, love Lauryn Hill and thats a great album, not sure I'd put it over both of those but I could hear the argument for it

Adele over Joni, I'm sorry I just cant. Also I'd put Hissing of Summer Lawns over Blue but thats just me.
Same for Prince, I'd swap Purple Rain and Sign O the Times

Not even really going to comment on Taylor. She has some nice songs and she's big right now etc I could hear the argument it belongs on the list somewhere but we all know it's not 18th.

On a personal note I'm surprised there's no Iggy Pop or Stooges album, again taking aside any importance to culture criteria, the first three Stooges albums are each perfection and you could easily put The Idiot and Lust for Life on there too. Odd omission honestly.

Beyonce, Frank Ocean and Kendrick I could hear an argument for top 20 maybe but top 10 is pushing it. I'd also put her self-titled, Channel Orange and Butterfly over those choices.

Personally I'd put Pet Sounds as an unchanging No.1. We all have our tastes but that is the greatest album that will ever be made.

Not even going through the rest, but yeh wacky list.

edit: not Monk or Mingus and only one Miles and its Kind of Blue? smh. I'd even put Let My Children Hear Music under Pet Sounds but thats more a personal choice.

Jul 1, 2020

If you made a list of the albums or artists that "have to be on there" then you would probably run out of spots before you even started picking because there are definitely over 100 artists that deserve to make a list like this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

No Weeknd either, I believe. No badbadnotgood. Snubbing Pearl Jam, Janelle Monae, Al Green, The Ramones, James Brown, Rakim, is madness as well.

Gotta have Astroworld tho. (An upside to this list is the amount of shade Astroworld and to a lesser extend Flower Boy about to catch will be funny.)

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Radiohead being twice on the list is good, although, how they didn't include "In Rainbows" is mind boggling.
But In Rainbows is only their 5th best album

I'm fine with Sgt Pepper not being on there, yes its important historically but outside a few songs which would themselves be on a Best Song list, its not great on its own, certainly opposite their other stuff, Abbey Road makes sense
I agree with this one, Sgt Peppers is super overrated