Votes: 414 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 314 49.8%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Still waiting for mine to arrive (2 more weeks) but I don't think I'm gonna be blown away or anything, my current phone is 4 years old Note 9. Smartphones have plateaued and are just incremental performance bumps at this time, unless there's a breakthrough in material science (cheap, not easily scratched, no crease, etc) to make folding phones/new form factors mainstream, phones will enter the same phase as desktop computers are currently in since the mid 2000's.

Hell, some people talk about USB-C like it's going to be some big thing when in reality it'll just be faster file transfer, I don't even use my camera that much, so saving a couple of minutes every other month is pretty meh, and my 4 year phone already has USB-C. Maybe if you use your phone's camera a lot it may be a bigger deal.

Next year the phone will have better performance and maybe USB-C, I don't think they'll change the exterior design much since they changed the notch for a cutout this year, they most likely wont ditch it for something different in just a year.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I really love my 14 Pro Max, it's been a great phone so far. But I have to admit that I can't remember a time where there was as big a gulf between a feature reveal making me go "oh man, that's so cool!" to how often I actually use or care about it as the Dynamic Island. I've yet to find it even moderately useful so far
Yeah the main use I've got out of it so far is for the now playing thing and timers.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
They need to fix the AOD affecting automatic light/dark mode not turning on when it has to. It's fucking annoying.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone upgrade to last year's new model of the Apple TV 4K from the one before it and think it was worthwhile?

I do have an HDMI 2.1 TV (LG CX) but I am not sure I actually consume any content on my Apple TV that would benefit from it at all? I even hook up my older model ATV 4K with an HDMI 2.1 cable (I bought a bulk pack of them from monoprice so just deployed them on all devices I currently have hooked up).

Wondering if I gain anything from the current Prime (or anti-Prime) sales.

EDIT: I did buy the new remote separately last year so that won't be new to me if I purchase the newer model.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone upgrade to last year's new model of the Apple TV 4K from the one before it and think it was worthwhile?

I do have an HDMI 2.1 TV (LG CX) but I am not sure I actually consume any content on my Apple TV that would benefit from it at all? I even hook up my older model ATV 4K with an HDMI 2.1 cable (I bought a bulk pack of them from monoprice so just deployed them on all devices I currently have hooked up).

EDIT: I did buy the new remote separately last year so that won't be new to me if I purchase the newer model.
If you have the remote then no, it wont really provide you any benefits. I got it, it might be a bit snappier but overall don't notice any difference

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how can i get safari on my macbook to STOP trying to recommend apple maps before google maps???? it somehow manages to remember my top hits for every other thing but every time i start typing maps it seems to forget ive literally never used apple maps there?????

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
How does one extend the life of an iPhone? I've only had my iPhone 12 for a little under two years and I want it to last literally for as long as humanly possible and I'm willing to jump through hurdles to make that happen.

With that being said, my battery health is down to 91%. I have no idea if that's good or bad for 18 months of use, but it's at least concerning to me.

I have AppleCare+ expiring in June 6, 2023. I originally thought that I could keep renewing this indefinitely which is why I got it….but I can't do that, can I? Basically, I'm screwed with the battery unless it somehow hits below 80% by June 2023, right? Are there ways around this? I can't believe I can't purchase another two years :(

I realize this isn't an issue for me now, but I'm trying to future proof myself and I'm trying to make sure I understand how this all works.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How does one extend the life of an iPhone? I've only had my iPhone 12 for a little under two years and I want it to last literally for as long as humanly possible and I'm willing to jump through hurdles to make that happen.

With that being said, my battery health is down to 91%. I have no idea if that's good or bad for 18 months of use, but it's at least concerning to me.

I have AppleCare+ expiring in June 6, 2023. I originally thought that I could keep renewing this indefinitely which is why I got it….but I can't do that, can I? Basically, I'm screwed with the battery unless it somehow hits below 80% by June 2023, right? Are there ways around this? I can't believe I can't purchase another two years :(

I realize this isn't an issue for me now, but I'm trying to future proof myself and I'm trying to make sure I understand how this all works.

Use a case, a screen protector and get the battery replaced when reasonable. My understanding is that battery replacement can be done under AppleCare but the official policy for Apple is to only do it when it's at 80% or below but employees have some discretion.

Battery decline to 80% should take about 2 years, give or take a few months based on your usage and other environmental factors. That's not a bad time to replace the battery when you get there, and I think that's the point where iOS will start to throttle your SOC performance to maintain acceptable battery life too. I'd say you seem more on track to hit that at 3 years though.

Also, try to avoid extreme temperature exposure with your phone, but especially heat. Battery and internals really don't like prolonged exposure to high heat.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Protecting the screen is the most important thing. If it breaks out of warranty, you might as well replace the entire phone.

Batteries are consumable items and if you keep your phone for years, you will want to replace the battery at some point. Don't worry too much about trying to extend the battery's lifespan. Just use your phone, enjoy your life, and when the battery life gets annoying take the phone to Apple and they'll make it good again. I don't recommend trying to swap the battery yourself. I've done it, it was horrible, and I'll never do it again.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Use a case, a screen protector and get the battery replaced when reasonable. My understanding is that battery replacement can be done under AppleCare but the official policy for Apple is to only do it when it's at 80% or below but employees have some discretion.

Battery decline to 80% should take about 2 years, give or take a few months based on your usage and other environmental factors. That's not a bad time to replace the battery when you get there, and I think that's the point where iOS will start to throttle your SOC performance to maintain acceptable battery life too. I'd say you seem more on track to hit that at 3 years though.

Also, try to avoid extreme temperature exposure with your phone, but especially heat. Battery and internals really don't like prolonged exposure to high heat.
Protecting the screen is the most important thing. If it breaks out of warranty, you might as well replace the entire phone.

Batteries are consumable items and if you keep your phone for years, you will want to replace the battery at some point. Don't worry too much about trying to extend the battery's lifespan. Just use your phone, enjoy your life, and when the battery life gets annoying take the phone to Apple and they'll make it good again. I don't recommend trying to swap the battery yourself. I've done it, it was horrible, and I'll never do it again.

Thank you guys! Seems like I'm on the right track for now. But is it really that easy to replace the battery through Apple? I thought if I went to the Apple store or something, they'd give me a flat out "no" because it's not below 80%. And then once June 2023 hits, I no longer have coverage. Seems like they're pretty lenient with battery replacement, though? I would love to get a new battery in, say, April or May lol.

And yeah….I will definitely have it professionally done. I'm not a tinkerer and I'd screw it up somehow.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the 2.1 advantage is a bigger improvement for gaming, BUT I *think* there's some HDR improvements when using 2.1 as well? I could be wrong about that, but if so that would apply more to ATV usage.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Thank you guys! Seems like I'm on the right track for now. But is it really that easy to replace the battery through Apple? I thought if I went to the Apple store or something, they'd give me a flat out "no" because it's not below 80%. And then once June 2023 hits, I no longer have coverage. Seems like they're pretty lenient with battery replacement, though? I would love to get a new battery in, say, April or May lol.

And yeah….I will definitely have it professionally done. I'm not a tinkerer and I'd screw it up somehow.

To be clear, i meant pay for a new battery. I've never had a battery die so fast I could get it replaced for free.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018

I don't I had an 4 year old Iphone 7 that could only hold a charge 10 hours on a normal use day, and the battery stayed hanging om 85% never got lower, despite the capacity clearly getting lower. Now my iphone 12 is at 92% in after 2 years of use.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't I had an 4 year old Iphone 7 that could only hold a charge 10 hours on a normal use day, and the battery stayed hanging om 85% never got lower, despite the capacity clearly getting lower. Now my iphone 12 is at 92% in after 2 years of use.
my Xr was telling me the >90% capacity after 3 years of use. Battery lasted 3 hours max lol
After a battery replacement it was fine again.
So I wouldn't trust that capacity too much.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I have an 11 that I got in January 2020. The battery is at 84%. So I'd say you're on the right track.

I wouldn't stress over it. You'll get plenty of time out of your phone. And if it does die after like 3 years, by that point there will be many good options to replace it. Even if you just get the same phone again it'll be much cheaper anyway. It's a phone. Just use it normally and it'll treat you well.

You don't need to get attached to a 12. Because eventually it'll feel outdated and much better replacements will be available. Trying to keep your 12 forever would be like still wanting to use your G3 PowerBook forever. Eventually you just gotta treat yourself to a new one.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a battery issue ever since I installed iO16.

Apparently, the Photo app is running something in the background and I can't find anything to turn this off.

I turned off Background Refresh but the Photo app is not on the list of apps to turn off.
iCloud is turned off.
Rebooted the phone.

The battery was fully charged this morning and about an hour of screen time has passed, it is down to 88%

Any settings I should look into? Thanks.

iphone.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question: I just got back from an Amazon Locker to pick up the latest Apple TV, which was on sale (and there was a promo code to get an additional $10 for using the locker pickup option).

I'm replacing my previous gen model, so I just wanted to know if there was some backup option or something with the settings so I can just seamlessly transfer my settings, apps, etc to the new Apple TV.

If not, if anyone happens to have any recommended settings to go with an LG CX OLED, kindly share them.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I still have a bug in watchOS where the Now Playing red dot isn't displaying for Spotify. I have to actually go back to the app or open up Spotify on my phone to get it back.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Is there currently a de facto recommendation for an external display that plays nicely with macOS scaling, supports high refresh rates, has USB-C / Thunderbolt 4 connectivity, and doesn't look like gauche "gamer gear"?

I don't mind if it's 16:9 or ultrawide, really. HDR is also not really necessary, since I very rarely watch HDR content on my computer.

I like the design of the Studio Display, but it's limited to 60Hz, and it's also too expensive.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I'm having a battery issue ever since I installed iO16.

Apparently, the Photo app is running something in the background and I can't find anything to turn this off.

I turned off Background Refresh but the Photo app is not on the list of apps to turn off.
iCloud is turned off.
Rebooted the phone.

The battery was fully charged this morning and about an hour of screen time has passed, it is down to 88%

Any settings I should look into? Thanks.

It's a common issue/bug on iOS 16 unfortunately. The bad news is that even on the last 16.1 beta (the 5th), the OS is still bugged af: battery drain, missing notifications, weird UI behaviours and other things.

I really hope Apple will take some time to fix this mess instead of release it to the pubblic later this month.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a common issue/bug on iOS 16 unfortunately. The bad news is that even on the last 16.1 beta (the 5th), the OS is still bugged af: battery drain, missing notifications, weird UI behaviours and other things.

I really hope Apple will take some time to fix this mess instead of release it to the pubblic later this month.
AOD affecting automatic light/dark mode.

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't help you at all, but I had that bug on my 13 Mini. So I don't think it can be due to the AOD.

And it seems to have fixed itself. It's working fine now. I don't know if I changed a setting and that made it work. I did turn auto mode off/on a few times trying to fix it, but that didn't help right away.
Never had an issue with it on my 13 pro.

Like when I put my phone face down and the screen turns off and I pick it back up, the Auto light/dark mode activates.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Cropping pics no longer decreases the file size????

So if I wanna upload to discord I need nitro now……. 🙄🙄🙄

??? it should definitely decrease the file size of the crop itself.

I wonder if iOS simply changed the file size reporting;
such that the reported file size within iOS simply doesn't change, because your phone keeps the unedited original in the background to make the edits reversible.
(if you try to crop the same image again, you see that the original full frame pic is still there).

if that's the case, i wonder if Discord would need an updated app so it doesn't read the file size that iOS is reporting in the photos library, but rather read the size of the file (i.e. the crop) that is being actually used.

I just cropped a photo (original size 1.4mb), reports 1.4mb after the crop, but if i hit the share sheet and save it to the FILES app, the cropped photo ends up being around 300kb.

So, up until then, you could just save the cropped photo to FILES and share it from there, until Discord "fixes" their app.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like this week is the week for the new iPad Pro. I hope it comes out Tuesdayish with the opportunity to pick up at the Apple store right away, as I would like to take it on vacation.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
How much would you say a used iPhone 12 Pro 256GB is worth? I'm selling mine and I was thinking about setting the price at 600€, which does seem to be in the same ballpark as other ads I've seen.

Cropping pics no longer decreases the file size????

So if I wanna upload to discord I need nitro now……. 🙄🙄🙄

Uploading pictures to Discord is such a pain in the ass. The file size in the Photos app doesn't always match the file size reported by Discord when it's too big.

And sometimes Discord refuses to accept a picture at all, even when it's definitely below the limit. Sometimes I could get it to accept a picture by simply restarting the app, even though before it said that the picture was too big.

In some cases, it was literally impossible to share certain pictures from my phone because Discord kept saying it was too big, no matter how much I shrunk and compressed it. When that happened, I simply used my Mac to upload the exact same picture without any problems.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the rumor of 14" iPad Pros next year is true.

Btw does anyone know if drawing in sidecar Improves with M chip devices?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017

It's a really good Thread router, if you have smart home stuff. Also WiFi 6 support is nice.
Looks like this week is the week for the new iPad Pro. I hope it comes out Tuesdayish with the opportunity to pick up at the Apple store right away, as I would like to take it on vacation.
Hopefully means the rumored new AppleTV will be released as well. Need to replace a few at my parents and don't want to wait until spring.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a really good Thread router, if you have smart home stuff. Also WiFi 6 support is nice.

Hopefully means the rumored new AppleTV will be released as well. Need to replace a few at my parents and don't want to wait until spring.
I have the 2021 Apple TV. Not sure what they could do to really make it better, unless for gaming/apple arcade. It's already the most powerful streaming box. I use the Nvidia Shield for Plex, but the Apple TV for the rest.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have the 2021 Apple TV. Not sure what they could do to really make it better, unless for gaming/apple arcade. It's already the most powerful streaming box. I use the Nvidia Shield for Plex, but the Apple TV for the rest.
I want to buy one but I'm not in a hurry. So I'll wait and see if anything happens this months and decide then 🤷🏼

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't think of anything other than gaming like you mentioned if they keep the current form factor/functionality set. Many of the past refreshes coincided with HDMI version/picture quality leaps, which obviously we don't have outstanding right now.

It's rumored though that we'll get an A14 processor with 3GB of RAM, up from 2GB. That extra gig could potentially not be insignificant in everyday use.

I've also wondered if a new model will somehow tie into better Matter support or some updated vision or lineup for their HomeKit products. We'll have to see.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
was using my Apple TV for Disney+ as my LG app seems to drop to a lower res too often

While there I thought I'd sign into Netflix so I have it available when needed - it it keeps giving me a 113 error. I even tried signing out and back in on my phone to check my details were correct - but no matter if I type them in manually or use the phone and auto fill from LastPass, it keeps failing

Any ideas? Already deleted and reinstalled the app but no use