• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 395 63.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 448 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 536 86.6%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.5%
  • Airpods

Votes: 406 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 310 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
See the issue is that it would cost like $500 to have it done because I'm not doing it myself. I've watched videos. I am not going to do this myself. Which is why I'm curious about the external drive option.

I figure. Is it gonna wear things out? I mean I could always get the drive and just use it as a portable backup for my laptop if it didn't work out.

See above. I can't do it myself. Or rather I don't trust myself to do it. So I'd have to have it done by a third party shop and the last time I asked it was a $500 just for a 512GB drive. The TB SSD I'm seeing on Amazon right now is 1TB for like $130 or so. Much cheaper than replacing the drive. I just don't know how long term it would be.

I'm just weighing my options. I mean worried if I pay to replace the drive in the iMac what if there's another problem? So either I'd get a brand new mini but pay a lot more but have something for the next few years or get the cheaper external drive option and not be out too much if it doesn't work out.

I'm just thinking out loud at this point lol
Just get an external hard drive, install MacOS on it, and then boot from it by holding down option at start or through System Prefs. Even a USB3 SATA SSD will be faster than your hard drive.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wear what out? I don't think the PCI bus has a lifetime measured in bits. The SSD has a lifetime measured in writes but typically no faster than a spinning disk.
The FireWire port on my original Mac mini got worn out from a few years of booting from it. At least it's the only thing that went wrong with that machine.
Just get an external hard drive, install MacOS on it, and then boot from it by holding down option at start or through System Prefs. Even a USB3 SATA SSD will be faster than your hard drive.
I think I'm leaning towards that option. Will save me a bundle for now but also save me the headache of dealing with the slowness of the hard drive every day.

Oct 25, 2017
The FireWire port on my original Mac mini got worn out from a few years of booting from it. At least it's the only thing that went wrong with that machine.

I think I'm leaning towards that option. Will save me a bundle for now but also save me the headache of dealing with the slowness of the hard drive every day.

The other advantage is you can always reuse that drive with another machine as a scratch disk, time machine backup, etc.

I'd just recommend getting a bus-powered one to save space and clutter.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can set your external hard drive to be the default boot drive in preferences too so once you set it up you can just forget about it and use your Mac as if the SSD was internal.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone replaced an ear cup/pad for the Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones? Is it really as easy as peeling it off, cleaning the area on the headphones, and applying a new third party one? And, if you have, any suggestions on a good quality 3rd party one?

Separately: I really wish the Hey Siri stuff with the new AirPods worked on the Apple TV. I would love to just be able to tell it to turn on the lights or skip ahead five minutes or whatever and not have to pick up the remote.

Oct 25, 2017
Clutter isn't an issue.

I was looking at this one:

I assume it's bus powered since there's no power port.

Yes, but why not get an SSD?

Here's an NVMe SSD as well:

Basically you can definitely get a 1TB SSD for under $200. Considering that the SSD is these days the most important factor in making your computer zippy, you might as well pay slightly more and get a drastically better experience.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excited. I bought a 2018 MacBook Air a little over a month ago and on sunday I decided to return the damn thing and get the new 2019 MacBook Pro 13 base model and just ordered it. Should arrive on thursday. Also since I have a valid student ID I got the Beats headphones for free. I have no use for them but my SO wanted them.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Basically you can definitely get a 1TB SSD for under $200. Considering that the SSD is these days the most important factor in making your computer zippy, you might as well pay slightly more and get a drastically better experience.
WTF I thought that was a SSD. It came up when I searched explicitly for SSD. Thanks Amazon. Glad I didn't buy it impulsively.

Definitely need to make sure I get a SSD and that it's a Thunderbolt 2 drive. I don't have TB3 or USB-C.

Would a USB 3 SSD be fast enough? I'd rather go as fast as I can. Plus I don't have any free USB ports. I have two TB2 ports I don't use.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
What's the issue with a mail app you use on the daily charging 10 bucks a year? Don't get the outrage. Probably poor handling of existing customers (I don't use the app, more than fine with stock macOS/iOS) but apart from that? Seems more than fair.

They should probably offer a more expensive, one major version stand alone purchase for those that don't want a subscription though, yeah.

Also apple needs to allow IAP/sub family sharing pronto, don't think they do that yet.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I paid for a premium email app (I don't remember how much, but it was multiple times), and over night notifications stopped working because of "fuck you loyal customer". If they want to get my money release a new version and charge for it. I don't mind paying for good software. Or leave me with the old version and release another app that's subscription based.

I uninstalled it everywhere and went vanilla mail for now. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
We bit the bullet and got the MBP yesterday. We did the Barclay card and it went smooth. Want to pay it off quickly though as I don't want the chance of getting to month 18. Neither of us or students but my fiancé does work at a college part time and with her college ID we were still able to get the discounted Mac, Apple care, and free beats.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We bit the bullet and got the MBP yesterday. We did the Barclay card and it went smooth. Want to pay it off quickly though as I don't want the chance of getting to month 18. Neither of us or students but my fiancé does work at a college part time and with her college ID we were still able to get the discounted Mac, Apple care, and free beats.

I wonder why they do free beats only? I'd prefer to have airpods (my son will be a student and he already has some Sony noise cancelling headphones). So I'd probably just sell the beats and buy airpods - cheaper for Apple if they let me choose those in the first place

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I wonder why they do free beats only? I'd prefer to have airpods (my son will be a student and he already has some Sony noise cancelling headphones). So I'd probably just sell the beats and buy airpods - cheaper for Apple if they let me choose those in the first place

I have AirPods already. She prefers actual
Headphones but I agree. You'd think they try and rep the airpods

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

It's smarter to bundle shit that people wouldn't be likely to buy, if it wasn't part of the bundle. That way you can inflate the "objective value" of the bundle (retail price of the macbook + retail price of the headphones) while still having the chance that people might make an additional purchase.
Like, they don't bundle the ApplePencil with the iPad, the AirPods with the iPhone or a Pro Controller with the Switch. :P

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think putting a slower drive in the MBA to lower the cost is the smartest thing they've done in years. It's still super fast, and anyone getting the Air over the Pro would never notice or need the difference in speed. Better to have dropped the price and better serve that market

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What have the done to the pro then? Isn't it basically the same price as the dual core but they've put in a quad core and Touch Bar. Does it have the same cooling as the higher end ones - twin fans and exhausts? I assume the TDP will be similar so they'd need that extra cooling

At which point why bother with the slightly faster cpu?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What have the done to the pro then? Isn't it basically the same price as the dual core but they've put in a quad core and Touch Bar. Does it have the same cooling as the higher end ones - twin fans and exhausts? I assume the TDP will be similar so they'd need that extra cooling

At which point why bother with the slightly faster cpu?

The new base-model Pro has the same single-fan design and two TB3 ports as the old dual-core model. They were able to put in a quad-core because Intel's making 15w TDP quad-cores now. They're running at significantly lower base clocks than the higher-end 28w models, though (1.4GHz vs 2.4GHz).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The new base-model Pro has the same single-fan design and two TB3 ports as the old dual-core model. They were able to put in a quad-core because Intel's making 15w TDP quad-cores now. They're running at significantly lower base clocks than the higher-end 28w models, though (1.4GHz vs 2.4GHz).

Aww. I hate my single fan dual core - really gets warm so was hoping for better ventilation

Oct 25, 2017
WTF I thought that was a SSD. It came up when I searched explicitly for SSD. Thanks Amazon. Glad I didn't buy it impulsively.

Definitely need to make sure I get a SSD and that it's a Thunderbolt 2 drive. I don't have TB3 or USB-C.

Would a USB 3 SSD be fast enough? I'd rather go as fast as I can. Plus I don't have any free USB ports. I have two TB2 ports I don't use.
Fastest option for you is a TB2 drive that has a PCIe-based NVME SSD. Should be able to get you roughly 1000Mb/s and up.

I think putting a slower drive in the MBA to lower the cost is the smartest thing they've done in years. It's still super fast, and anyone getting the Air over the Pro would never notice or need the difference in speed. Better to have dropped the price and better serve that market
Why they didn't just stick some slow SATAIII SSDs in the iMacs and call it a day boggles my mind. You can still upcharge people for the fast stuff; I'm guessing they realize most people can't tell the difference between 10x hard drive speeds and 20,30+ speeds. But that just makes their twice-as-expensive as they should be SSD pricing twice as irksome.

(Feels like we're in the 16GB zone again...)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

It's also a stupid MacRumors meltdown because Blackmagic is such a limited test. Maybe the drive is slower across the board but the test used really doesn't do much to evaluate anything aside from sequential transfers.

Regardless, nobody losing their mind in that thread would be able to detect which Air has that drive in it using a blind test.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a stupid MacRumors meltdown because Blackmagic is such a limited test. Maybe the drive is slower across the board but the test used really doesn't do much to evaluate anything aside from sequential transfers.

Regardless, nobody losing their mind in that thread would be able to detect which Air has that drive in it using a blind test.
MacRumors is to me the greatest single encapsulation of the best internet community smooshed in with the crappiest. Thank god it exists, and thank god I can ignore the histrionics on news articles and the bullshit elsewhere.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
MacRumors is to me the greatest single encapsulation of the best internet community smooshed in with the crappiest. Thank god it exists, and thank god I can ignore the histrionics on news articles and the bullshit elsewhere.

Yeah. My biggest peeve there is any sort of rational post about something like this being ok and you'll get called out for being a sheep or whatever.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

The problem is those all look to just be USB 3.1, which I assume will still work with my USB3 ports but I don't have any ports left. All four are taken up and I do not want to buy a hub for this. I want to use my ThunderBolt 2 ports but I can't find any drives anymore with the older style ThunderBolt. So unless somehow I can get a TB2 adapter that lets me connect a TB3/USB3.1 drive I'm stuck! I guess I'm too late to the party. I mean I could just suck it up and go with USB3.1 if I have to but then I have to research USB hubs that will support powering a bunch of external hard drives. I'd need a hub just to add one more port which is silly and have two perfectly fine TB ports that I'm still not using.

Fastest option for you is a TB2 drive that has a PCIe-based NVME SSD. Should be able to get you roughly 1000Mb/s and up.
Where can I get this though? I remember a few years ago TB drives were pretty plentiful but they were expensive at the time since USB3 was cheaper. Now we have both unified into one port so no one makes stand-alone TB drives anymore that I can find.

I have like $125 on my Amazon account that I was gonna use towards this. lol

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

This.

MR is insufferable 99% of the time, but the forums can be a good resource for some technical stuff.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I highly recommend the macrumors forum if you want to mix people who hate Apple with your conservative uncle who can't help but say racist nonsense at Thanksgiving at the slightest provocation

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend the macrumors forum if you want to mix people who hate Apple with your conservative uncle who can't help but say racist nonsense at Thanksgiving at the slightest provocation

It's easy to overlook someone's flaws as long as they are still using their cheese grater Mac Pro and maybe a PowerBook.

Oct 25, 2017

The site has way too many forums as is, but I cannot imagine why they think it's a good idea to have a politics one on an Apple enthusiast site. Even worse, I've checked the preferences that are supposed to hide that stuff and it still comes up.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has the A10 Fusion chip, not the latest tech, but still very capable peace of silicon. Should do the job just fine.
Don't buy, it's set to get an upgrade in the fall.
Damn.

I'm undecided if I should replace my macbook with a surface pro or just get an ipad. I love the idea of having a tablet for my travels that can be a little productive and where i can have some fun with as well.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Damn.

I'm undecided if I should replace my macbook with a surface pro or just get an ipad. I love the idea of having a tablet for my travels that can be a little productive and where i can have some fun with as well.

To be honest, if it's going to be a laptop replacement, spend a little extra and get an iPad Air, for the little extra it costs you get a much better device, much quicker, more RAM, laminated screen.

The entry level is a decent tablet in it's own right, but it's decidedly more budget oriented.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, if it's going to be a laptop replacement, spend a little extra and get an iPad Air, for the little extra it costs you get a much better device, much quicker, more RAM, laminated screen.

The entry level is a decent tablet in it's own right, but it's decidedly more budget oriented.
It's not going to replace my laptop as I still need It for coding and all that, but i want something where i can really watch some shows, play Apple arcade when It launches and for some browsing.

I barely use my laptop for productive work nowadays but i still ocasional need It for something more professional. That's why I thought on the surface pro, but Windows...

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
It's not going to replace my laptop as I still need It for coding and all that, but i want something where i can really watch some shows, play Apple arcade when It launches and for some browsing.

I barely use my laptop for productive work nowadays but i still ocasional need It for something more professional. That's why I thought on the surface pro, but Windows...

Well, of course that iPad Pro will do a better job replacing your laptop than the budget option. But for Apple Arcade and some Apple TV the base model should do the trick without having to spend a shitton of money.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if you're just browsing and not playing hugely demanding games (and eg remote play for consoles) the base ipad is fine, even the current one if its discounted.

Laminated screen is a nice improvement in the ipad air and that would be my personal choice but thats very subjective

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to have Chrome ask for a fingerprint when autofilling passwords like Safari does? :o

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, of course that iPad Pro will do a better job replacing your laptop than the budget option. But for Apple Arcade and some Apple TV the base model should do the trick without having to spend a shitton of money.
Im afraid the base iPad wont be enough for some games.

The air will be better and more future proof. The price is the only thing bothering me.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really want a Mac mini with a better GPU, it struggles so badly with my monitor at times due to the non-linear scaling. Seriously considering picking up an eGPU but ugh. I think I will wait for a potential refresh first and see if they upgrade the graphics significantly. I really don't want the extra clutter and could do without the potential complications of an external GPU.