• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
All will be forgotten when the new iPhone is shown. Most people don't care about what their fav. Corp does as long as they get new products to feel better and show off on social media.
What I've learned is that most people only care as long as it doesn't personally effect them. People are great allies on the internet and even era when it's something like not voting for Trump but if you ask them not to buy their favorite phone or stop listening to their favorite music. Forget it!

They care, just as long as their isn't a cost to them. Makes you wonder though if that means you really care at all?

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Ashley G. may have a legitimate complaint. Or this may be a lot of nonsense. We honestly don't know and we should let the likely lawsuit play out before rushing to judgment one way or the other.

While Ashley brings up some serious concerns, after reading her Twitter posts, including a tweet where she claims proudly that she is simultaneously taking on three multinational corporations, I am a bit uneasy about jumping the gun based solely on her account.
Nah I ll believe the woman with documented harassment going back years over the mega corporation with all the lawyers money can buy. But you do you.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ashley G. may have a legitimate complaint. Or this may be a lot of nonsense. We honestly don't know and we should let the likely lawsuit play out before rushing to judgment one way or the other.

While Ashley brings up some serious concerns, after reading her Twitter posts, including a tweet where she claims proudly that she is simultaneously taking on three multinational corporations, I am a bit uneasy about jumping the gun based solely on her account.
Considering she's got receipts for all her claims and has documented every single thing, I feel pretty confident siding with her. Could she be in the wrong? Everything is possible, just extremely unlikely in this case.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

So she might not be an angel. I see.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, her firing could both be justified and she still be completely in the right. Just based on social media policy which legit every company has, she probably broke 20 diff rules. And she likely knew it and she likely knew this would be the outcome.

With that said, you go girl. I hope she sues just to see more receipts. I just can't stomach these big companies and how shitty HR is in all of them. I like apple as a company but they'll be fine, I'm totally fine them being the poster boy for this for all corps.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, her firing could both be justified and she still be completely in the right. Just based on social media policy which legit every company has, she probably broke 20 diff rules. And she likely knew it and she likely knew this would be the outcome.

With that said, you go girl. I hope she sues just to see more receipts. I just can't stomach these big companies and how shitty HR is in all of them. I like apple as a company but they'll be fine, I'm totally fine them being the poster boy for this for all corps.
I feel like I'm on the firing is justified and also she's in the right, and also, she's pretty out there. I mean, she was saying Apple was literally poisoning her, which seems...unlikely.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Huh. If Apple didn't like her talking about these issues publicly, then it should have used its internal policies to actually resolve these issues and short-circuit the entire matter. But no, they'd rather be open and difficult and stretch out the ugly.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling Apple's gonna throw money at her to keep her quiet and attempt to shut the whole investigation down. Hopefully, she says "no" to the money offer and keep fighting.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

Did you miss the parts where other women at Apple confirmed some of her stories?
Oh right, you're "just asking questions"...

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
The stuff in her tweets is so wildly absurd that I almost don't believe it. How on earth could these people still be employed at Apple while treating her like that? I do believe her but feel so frustrated that those people who treated her like shit may get off the hook and not face consequences.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Wanting to keep records of what is said is equivalent to not wanting to talk to them!? Some fucked up shit.

Can't have an employee who has been treated wrongly before and kept actual receipts of such treatment openly keeping receipts of your conversation where it's clear now you were planning to throw her under the bus and didn't want her to be able to show what your company really said or did......fucking ridiculous.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
The stuff in her tweets is so wildly absurd that I almost don't believe it. How on earth could these people still be employed at Apple while treating her like that? I do believe her but feel so frustrated that those people who treated her like shit may get off the hook and not face consequences.

From all the crazy things that come out of tech companies... doesn't make me raise an eyebrow sadly.

Surprised they doubled down on the firing route, guessing the play is for a settlement unless they managed to find something to pin on her.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm on the firing is justified and also she's in the right, and also, she's pretty out there. I mean, she was saying Apple was literally poisoning her, which seems...unlikely.
I stopped reading her account fairly early on once I came to the conclusion that Apple was being shit, so there might be more to this, but when I left off, the accusation wasn't that Apple was poisoning her, but the developer of the apartment complex she lived in was. One of Apple managers was even giving her advice on how to address it.

Oct 27, 2017
What I've learned is that most people only care as long as it doesn't personally effect them. People are great allies on the internet and even era when it's something like not voting for Trump but if you ask them not to buy their favorite phone or stop listening to their favorite music. Forget it!

They care, just as long as their isn't a cost to them. Makes you wonder though if that means you really care at all?

Oct 30, 2017
I stopped reading her account fairly early on once I came to the conclusion that Apple was being shit, so there might be more to this, but when I left off, the accusation wasn't that Apple was poisoning her, but the developer of the apartment complex she lived in was. One of Apple managers was even giving her advice on how to address it.
Apple absolutely is being shit, I 100% agree.
She said in one of her tweets: "I'm still trying to process how my entire life exploded after my original ask to #Apple was to stop (probably) poisoning me"
I think what it's all about is her apartment complex was built on former toxic land and the developments were at least partially funded by Apple.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
As a woman I absolutely believe as I've worked in similar environments.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand all this stuff about being on toxic land and being poisoned and stuff. Is this documented that this previously contaminated land is still hazardous to be on? A lot of heavily polluted industrial land gets cleaned up and repurposed for public, residential or commercial use.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
All the details about the poisoning stuff came out before the big allegations in the thread, which is probably why she didn't focus on it.

sfbayview.com

I thought I was dying: My apartment was built on toxic waste

Ashley Gjovik exposes the influence of a powerful corporation against the need for accountability and public safety on her journey to save her life. The challenges she encounters are ongoing for many people in the Bay Area, and they may not even know it yet. Her single victory has been the fight...

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I still think this is a major flaw with US labor laws and the US Department of Labor. This should not be an investigation internally by the companies in question and there should be an avenue for employees to file a complaint outside of the company. I'm not saying she's right or wrong, but the way this type of "investigation" is handled is complete bullshit.
The lack of rights for US employees and the US labor laws are a joke.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I see her going all in on not only macro agressions, but on micro agressions as well, just as hard. Stuff that makea it easier for other people to dismiss her on, she kept on asking for accountability for those even after they all said it was ok behavior. I think this is an important part of all this.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
My wife tells me stories of what goes on at her workplace and every time something goes down, I say the same thing.
People get away with a LOT.

Oct 25, 2017
Apple absolutely is being shit, I 100% agree.
She said in one of her tweets: "I'm still trying to process how my entire life exploded after my original ask to #Apple was to stop (probably) poisoning me"
I think what it's all about is her apartment complex was built on former toxic land and the developments were at least partially funded by Apple.
Ah, that gives that context. Thanks!

Sep 10, 2018
I hope her story goes some way to improving the workplace conditions at Apple, and I hope she finds a job that treats her far far better. I wasn't keen on upgrading my old iPhone 7 before this story, but now I'm definitely going to look elsewhere when this one dies, and I won't be giving this company any oxygen except to bring up the horrible workplace abuse that exists in this company, among its many other problematic elements.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
But "this is the best iPhone we've ever made and we think you're gonna love it".

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who does have mostly Apple products, and will likely continue to…

I hope she is able to sue them for a good amount and keep this in the news. Tech companies pretty much across the board seem to be monsters, so keep turning over the stones and chasing out the cockroaches.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Apple is too big to ever get "canceled", over this, or even if it did something much worse.

Last edited:

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, she got fired? Not what I was expecting when I saw the thread title. Lol fuck Apple. Piece of shit company.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
How are the people responsible for this untouchable? They have to have some dirt on the higher ups or know where the skeletons in the closet are. No way they're irreplaceable from a talent perspective. Apple needs to clean house.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Ugh. Hopefully the other employees band together and apply pressure to make changes. Because management sure doesn't seem like they want to do shit considering they wouldn't agree to an email convo with Gjovik.

Nov 7, 2017
I've read through a lot of the sources, comments and links on this. Thought she documented all of the horrendous shit she's been subjected to pretty well. Was on reddit yesterday and saw a headline on my feed and clicked through to the comments... lots of accusations of "she's toxic" and "she had it coming by airing stuff publicly". Saw that I was in the apple subreddit but still couldn't believe the reaction.

I know I shouldn't be surprised or shocked but I think I found one comment at the very bottom that actually seemed to read the emails and other documentation. Even the damn scored board they were keeping on her.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the new gadget conference they have coming will drown it out.
This sucks.
I've read through a lot of the sources, comments and links on this. Thought she documented all of the horrendous shit she's been subjected to pretty well. Was on reddit yesterday and saw a headline on my feed and clicked through to the comments... lots of accusations of "she's toxic" and "she had it coming by airing stuff publicly". Saw that I was in the apple subreddit but still couldn't believe the reaction.

I know I shouldn't be surprised or shocked but I think I found one comment at the very bottom that actually seemed to read the emails and other documentation. Even the damn scored board they were keeping on her.
Yeah, fanboys will always try to dismiss the serious stuff because it hurts the brand they so bizarrely love.

May 14, 2021
What is she being accused of leaking? Is it because she's talking openly about the abuse she's suffered at Apple and their lame response to it?

Nov 11, 2017
Her examples seem so extreme, so absurd and yet I completely believe it.

At work we had harassment training and everyone was rolling their eyes going into it. They then started with two examples of sexual harassment that actually happened at my workplace that were absolutely shocking, similar to these stories. It's truly horrific what some men will do when they know they won't be held accountable.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
What is she being accused of leaking? Is it because she's talking openly about the abuse she's suffered at Apple and their lame response to it?
I haven't really seen any elaboration on that either, but I can imagine it's about showing screenshots of emails, documents, and other logs. They were all censored, but I'm not sure that'd make a difference if you're looking for a reason to get someone fired.