• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Apple is said to be planning to launch a subscription service for games. A report from Cheddar cites five anonymous sources that suggest Apple is talking to game developers to be part of a new subscription service.

Similar to Netflix, users would pay a set fee for unlimited access to a selection of titles. Further details like pricing or availability were not stated.

The talks apparently included Apple acting as a publisher for titles, which would see Apple talking a more hands-on approach in the release of new games.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/28/apple-reportedly-plans-netflix-for-games-subscription-service/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
There are only a handful of proper premium titles, right? How is this going to work when most of the games that are wildly popular are microtransaction based?

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
If this means Apple pushing more premium titles, sounds great.
Current Apple hardware is great, they should be putting better titles out.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I think, too, after all the number of Mac gamers is pretty small compared to those that play something (anything, even Candy Crush) on iPhone, iPad, etc.. If that's the case, I'm not sure this would work too well, given the already low price (or f2p galore) of most mobile games. But this does seem to be the future of gaming, so Apple doing steps towards that direction makes sense.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good idea and if it works we might actually be seeing better mobile games get a bigger mainstream push.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Apple moneyhatting popular devs for exclusivity incoming? If so, I hope they'll restrict their service to mobile games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Mobile games? Most popular games are free anyway
If not streaming, they it would have to be App Store games - they'll want to offer a service that you can use across devices. If streaming, then possibly anything. Or maybe a hybrid of the two.

But I'm still waiting for the rumoured Apple TV set that multiple sources were talking about years ago. This may never happen.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair it makes perfect sense. The market is dominated by free to play titles and not many people download paid games. This as a result discourages developers from putting their games on mobile. If these games were to be placed behind a small monthly transcription, it would definitely entice more users to "pay" for them.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that doesn't really actively play games on their phone, the concept of a subscription based service that has a curated set of options is appealing to me.

The only problem is, I probably wouldn't be willing to pay that much money for such a service. 3 bucks a month at most.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
More companies getting seriously involved in gaming is a good thing imo. I think they are planning a Music+TV streaming bundle so if they throw in games too, why not? Or if they went full bananas on a console that would be interesting too.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
(Regarding the US Market - which is probably pretty important to projected P&L statements)

Still waiting for this conglomerate of HUGE companies who want to do this, to tell us how many millions of people are expected to stay under 1TB of data while basically streaming EVERYTHING.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
There is hardly any pay up front mobile game anymore. Maybe this encourages porting games and putting them on the service. iOS hardware is definitely very capable right now but not much is being done with it.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I'm still waiting for there TV service,let alone a game service...I'll be 6 under by the time either launch

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems pointless seeing as how most popular cellphone games are free, but the mobile market is enormous. If they only capture a small percentage of that audience it's probably worth it financially.

Seeing as how growth of their electronic products has started to stagnate, it doesn't surprise me that they'd look to games to squeeze more cash out of their customers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just can't ever see a subscription service being more appealing to me than buying games and running them off my own hardware

I'm sure in a decade or so everyone will be streaming all their games, but it just doesn't appeal to me

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
You are all underrating and misunderstanding "mobile games". Apple has a tablet that can locally run Xbox One S games. The combination of diminishing returns and improved scalability means the lines between mobile and AAA gaming are getting blurred. We aren't far from IPhones having the compute power to run God of War locally. They will run NBA 2K, Madden and FIFA shortly. The OG PS4 specs aren't far away from fitting in your pocket. Apple will be a legit competitor against Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. This is coming from someone who has no love for Apple.

The Switch is $300 and sold at a profit. Won't be surprised if this year or next Apple offers a version of their phone that beats the Switch specs.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
R1fdEt3.gif
And it's going to be absolutely terrible.
And you'll probably need an adapter. Only $70.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This makes sense. A lot of small free 2 playd have a subscription thing of their own for no ads and what not, having a general subscription on a platform level for those games in which the developer also makes a profit would be a good solution for those, as well as granting consumer the chance to see premium games.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
(Regarding the US Market - which is probably pretty important to projected P&L statements)

Still waiting for this conglomerate of HUGE companies who want to do this, to tell us how many millions of people are expected to stay under 1TB of data while basically streaming EVERYTHING.
I expect it to be more like Amazon's free time for kids where it gives you access to a bunch of curated apps and you just choose which ones to install. Also like Game pass on XB1/PC, you get access to 100s of games but you still have to download/install them to play.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people start to care more about preservation for both the sake of the medium and holding onto your own library, because closed-platform-like streaming services are just ripe for consumer abuse.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
So this won't include F2P games monetized by microtransactions? I might be down with that. There are tons of great games out there that don't use microtransactions, lootboxes or gacha but the barrier of not-F2P means they don't sell well.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like a strange option for a storefront dominated by F2P titles.

On the flip side, if Apple is attempting to highlight some of the more traditional titles this may be a way to help them do so, though I wonder how successful this would be in the end.

If Apple ever decided to take gaming serious, it could be very interesting, to say the least.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
How about a subscription, but it lets me have unlimited pulls in gacha games so I don't go broke because I have zero self control