• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018
This tweet is getting traction:

Apple first gave "Bastards" a straight-to-series order in late 2018, after what today's report describes as a "competitive" bidding war with other outlets. The Apple TV+ series was said to focus on two Vietnam veterans and best friends, and would have been Richard Gere's highest-profile TV role:

Howard Gordon and Warren Leight collaborated on two scripts for "Bastards," but Apple reportedly sent notes with concerns about the "show's tone of vigilante justice." According to the report, Gordon did not want to focus on the friendship between the two characters, but rather wanted to emphasize the "darker elements of the series." Apple, however, wanted to ensure the "series was focused on the heart and emotion of the central friendship."

Surprised Apple greenlit a show called "Bastards" in the first place.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seemed fine until those last couple words haha. Would have taken way more effort than it would be worth to strike a tonal balance with that show that didn't piss anyone off

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I dunno, that sounds fantastically terrible - I'd watch it.

I also completely understand why it was canceled. I just don't understand why it was green-lit in the first place.

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
That sudden dark turn made me laugh out loud

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

zainmosni

Apr 17, 2018
Sounds like it would have ended up like that Heathers tv series, obvious boomer "kids these days" but ramped up to 11 by just straight up murdering em.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For a second there it sounded like an awful 'Grumpy Old Men' reboot then I read the last line. Wtf.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would have this worked as a show? The premise really doesn't lend itself for more than maybe a miniseries.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I think they also played modern day cupids and were shooting love arrows. A love arrow shooting spree. RIght??

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that anybody was seriously considering putting this on their platform when the premise sounds egregiously on-its-face bad is just....

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What surprised me is even though I was primed to read "shooting" I somehow read "shopping" and found the premise insane in a totally different way.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wasn't there a dark comedy a few years ago with the premise of a guy finding out he has cancer or something then going on a journey of blowing away jerks with a teen sidekick? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds like was written in a shared google doc, and someone's teen child snuck in at the end for the final edit

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what's funnier. The premise of the show or that Apple thought that the premise could be salvaged by focusing on the heart and emotion of a relationship between spree killers 😂

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Falling Down: The Show is not really something that's needed or is going to land particularly well right now.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lmao wtf

Apple TV+ isn't gonna get off the ground, me thinks. Have they confirmed if they're even putting it on Firestick, Chromecast, etc etc?

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article it seem the show was about vigilante justice, not just about shooting random millennial.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would have this worked as a show? The premise really doesn't lend itself for more than maybe a miniseries.

There are multiple seasons of The End of the F&#king World, Big Little Lies, and 13 Reasons Why. Even stories with definite ending points tend to go on and on if they're popular enough.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Were they gonna be fed up like Michael Douglas in Falling Down and just start murdering millennials for eating avocado toast and killing their favorite Applebees or what?