hEist

Oct 26, 2017
still using my s0(42mm) as a watch and checking notifications (since its so slow now), but I think I will upgrade in the near future to the s4 44mm.
don't really need it on release day, so I wait until I find a nice steal.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
As someone still rocking the series 0, I can't wait for mine to ship.

Yep, I am still on Series 0 and I've loved it. But an upgrade is due for me. All of the speed enhancements, the increased activity and health functionality, sound like a dream upgrade. Only thing hesitating me is if the 44mm is TOO big or not.

I'm still rocking a Series 0 too. You really think it's worth upgrading?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rocking a Series 0 too. You really think it's worth upgrading?
I think the fact that the Series 0 can't even run WatchOS 5 is basically gonna force me into it regardless, but frankly it sounds (from those I know who own one) like the Watch already hit its stride with the Series 3 (as far as battery life and speed are concerned) and is now basically doing a victory lap.

I still expect the Watch (and AirPods) to keep improving in leaps and bounds for the next 5 years or so - it's "easier" to make drastic and noticeable improvements to heavily-miniaturized tech - but this absolutely seems like a great time to upgrade. If you're already worrying that the Series 5 will be so much better (or something like that) you're probably overthinking it.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you never leave your house without your phone the cellular version would pointless, I often go for 3-4 hour walks with just my watch so cellular is extremely important.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I think the fact that the Series 0 can't even run WatchOS 5 is basically gonna force me into it regardless, but frankly it sounds (from those I know who own one) like the Watch already hit its stride with the Series 3 (as far as battery life and speed are concerned) and is now basically doing a victory lap.

I still expect the Watch (and AirPods) to keep improving in leaps and bounds for the next 5 years or so - it's "easier" to make drastic and noticeable improvements to heavily-miniaturized tech - but this absolutely seems like a great time to upgrade. If you're already worrying that the Series 5 will be so much better (or something like that) you're probably overthinking it.
I have a series 0 and it's painfully slow now. That, plus not getting watchOS 5 and the chance to move to a smaller body/bigger screen made it an easy upgrade decision for me.

As soon as I heard Series 0 wasn't getting the latest OS update I tunes out and practically ignored what the new OS would bring.

I love the idea of the larger screen, definitely...but the price for the 44mm might be a bit high for me right now.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Still on #teamround (love my Gear S2) but happy Apple is still pushing on this. The additional health monitoring features look great. Honestly, if anything were to get me back into the Apple ecosystem, it would be the Watch.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm upgrading from the Series 0 as well. If it wasn't so slow to perform certain tasks, I'd try and keep it a little longer. But it's just a rough experience now.

I only bought the Sport Series 0 to try it out, but I ended up keeping it. I'm looking into the Stainless Steel model for the Series 4 now, as I've always had my eyes on that casing.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does the review in the OP claim it doesn't have sleep tracking then? Are they just upset that there is no native sleep tracking app?

Yes, there is no native tracking yet. I say "yet" because Apple bought the sleep tracking company Beddit a while ago, and I assume that'll get integrated within the next year.

Do existing straps fit the new series 4? Or totally new straps required?

Yes, 38mm bands fit 40mm watches, 42mm bands fit 44mm watches.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Upgrading my S0 to this. Went out with my Watch yesterday and it took 10 minutes for it to even load the current conditions in the weather app. Uselessly slow.

38mm straps fit the 40mm and 42mm straps fit the 44mm.
Yes, there is no native tracking yet. I say "yet" because Apple bought the sleep tracking company Beddit a while ago, and I assume that'll get integrated within the next year.

Yes, 38mm bands fit 40mm watches, 42mm bands fit 44mm watches.

Good news.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was considering going from my 42mm to the 40mm, but i realized none of my straps would work, so fuck that.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only gripe is that there isn't an always on time display

Other than that I can't wait to upgrade my series 2

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can you customize them? Like I see the loaded complications one, but I want only what I want on there when I flip up my wrist. Namely the time and weather. Can I get it that finely tuned?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The fitness and health features look awesome, shame about it requiring iOS to use :(

rundisneyrpg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone heard about the GPS reliability yet for running?

I had the series 3 for running and it was never accuarate. So I would use two watches my Garmin 235 and Apple Watch for music and bt headphones and talking to my wife at times. I loved the watch for everything else that it is and will get a series 4 if they fix the GPS issue which was well known. Waiting on the DCRainmaker review.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jumping from a Series 3 to a Series 4. Have they increased the number of complications allowed on all watch faces? I'd prefer to keep Modular with more complications, or use that new one with all the complications (in all the marketing photos) with a digital time display. Is that possible? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere... but didn't look super-hard either.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
So there's no Spotify control of any sort on Apple Watch?

Was interested in a Series 3 Nike since they're so cheap now, but Spotify control is half the reason I'd use it, Overcast being the other half.

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
So there's no Spotify control of any sort on Apple Watch?

Was interested in a Series 3 Nike since they're so cheap now, but Spotify control is half the reason I'd use it, Overcast being the other half.
Yes and no. You have to start playing on your phone and then you can use the now playing screen to skip tracks.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only gripe is that there isn't an always on time display

Other than that I can't wait to upgrade my series 2

Yeah, I briefly owned a series 2 and needing to raise your arm or tap the face of the watch to get the time/other info was pretty frustrating, especially when it didn't have a quite 100% success rate. Not being able to just glance at a watch to get information sucks, honestly.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a steel Series 3 and maybe I'm just saying this because I don't want to pay for the new one, but I actually think I prefer the old look. The new more round look just makes it look more like a toy to me, or reminds me of something cheaper like the Fitbit Versa.

I'll have to see it in person I guess. And the new watch face looks like something that would work perfectly fine on a 42mm Apple Watch at least, so I'm kind of annoyed it's tied to the new watches like Apple seems to be doing with a lot of its features recently.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have an apple watch. Got it with an insurance policy. The battery life is a killer, can't believe the first review says great battery life. Needs to be a week at least.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I only bought the Sport Series 0 to try it out, but I ended up keeping it. I'm looking into the Stainless Steel model for the Series 4 now, as I've always had my eyes on that casing.
stainless steel is amazing. My friends were asking why I got it (over sport) and I pulled a knife out of the utensil drawer and started gouging it into the screen to all of their absolute horror and shock. after which one of them literally said "touche".

as long as I get 3-4 years out of the watch the extra cost of the sapphire screen is EASILY worth it in my eyes.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
stainless steel is amazing. My friends were asking why I got it (over sport) and I pulled a knife out of the utensil drawer and started gouging it into the screen to all of their absolute horror and shock. after which one of them literally said "touche".

as long as I get 3-4 years out of the watch the extra cost of the sapphire screen is EASILY worth it in my eyes.
I seemed to be unlucky with them because the first one I got somehow got a scratch on it the first day, and the second one had scratches and what seemed like weird coating issues.

I'm on my second replacement now and it's been pretty good, if I really look at it there's some minor hairline scratches and I'm not sure if that's the glass or the coating.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man I really want that SS version but not sure if the $300 extra is worth it? What main benefits are there vs the Aliminum. I'm coming from an office workplace.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I seemed to be unlucky with them because the first one I got somehow got a scratch on it the first day, and the second one had scratches and what seemed like weird coating issues.

I'm on my second replacement now and it's been pretty good, if I really look at it there's some minor hairline scratches and I'm not sure if that's the glass or the coating.
scratch where? I am assuming the body? stainless steel version? pretty much the only material capable of scratching sapphire is diamond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

edit - according to that page, the following materials are capable of scratching sapphire (Moh 9)

silicon carbide (carborundum), titanium carbide
9.5–10 boron, boron nitride, rhenium diboride (a-axis),[15] stishovite, titanium diboride
10 diamond, carbonado

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017

Haha, I don't know if I'd be able to do that. Sounds good, I'll go with the SS, and I'll definitely get 3-4 years out of it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
scratch where? I am assuming the body? stainless steel version? pretty much the only material capable of scratching sapphire is diamond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

edit - according to that page, the following materials are capable of scratching sapphire (Moh 9)

silicon carbide (carborundum), titanium carbide
9.5–10 boron, boron nitride, rhenium diboride (a-axis),[15] stishovite, titanium diboride
10 diamond, carbonado
On the face, it was bizarre. The first one was lightly bumped against something like a marble table and my other two I don't know why they would have scratched. Apparently the oleophobic coating can scratch so maybe that's what it was.

My second watch on Day 1 had this weird stained look mainly on the sides, some kind of flaw with the coating that was permanent.

cne0z2heeb011.png

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
On the face, it was bizarre. The first one was lightly bumped against something like a marble table and my other two I don't know why they would have scratched. Apparently the oleophobic coating can scratch so maybe that's what it was.

My second watch on Day 1 had this weird stained look mainly on the sides, some kind of flaw with the coating that was permanent.

cne0z2heeb011.png
I am betting that is a chip, not a scratch. Unfortunately sapphire IS super brittle and with enough (or the wrong) pressure will chip or crack.

edit - or is that the weird coating?

Deleted member 32005

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I want to get one of these for health reasons (I have heard the calorie tracking is pretty great). The only thing that is unfortunate is that I would have to link it up to my work phone, as my personal phone is a Pixel 2 XL. You guys think I would miss out on a bunch of the functionality if it wasn't tied to my 'primary' phone?

as long as you get the cellular version you could use it when you're not at work, as it wouldn't need rely on the bluetooth tether for cellular from the phone. (or wait do people with work cellphones always have them? lol)

in any case it'd be fine for health tracking but you would lose a lot of personal functionality like texts/emails/phonecalls/music/whatever's not on your work phone

imo the watch isnt worth it unless you have the airpods too

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It really needs an always on option. Turn off animations (update clock hands/data once a minute), lower brightness and the battery should manage. Especially if you don't use other features heavily

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upgrading my S0 to this. Went out with my Watch yesterday and it took 10 minutes for it to even load the current conditions in the weather app. Uselessly slow.

That's the position I'm in. I don't even bother using it for anything other than seeing texts or getting some notifications, trying to use any of the major complications or actual apps is just a waste of time.

Been holding off on upgrading since each series hasn't really impressed me but series 4 is finally gonna get me to pull the trigger. Real excited to upgrade later this year, look forward to reading people's impressions.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You're tempting me to switch down to the WiFi version. Had preordered an LTE through my operator as they were offering pretty much 0% interest over 2 years. But I almost never leave my phone behind

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should Apple Stores have these for demo this weekend? Wanna wear one, I'm on a series 0.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Series 4 seems to be the runaway success and redesign needed honestly for series 3.

The biggest issue is the cost. $400 for the entry model is a lot to swallow, and it might not be worth it to everyone at that price.

When this model trickles down to the lower price tier when next year's "s" like model 5 hits this will be golden.

I feel the sweet spot is like aroubd $250 for premium smart watches for the value they bring.

Feb 1, 2018
Sorry Apple, you're not getting my sale until you sell a watch that's round, has a headphone jack, and has a physical keyboard and removable battery.

Definitely needs an SD card slot too, so fucking ANTI-CONSUMER that it's not there, I feel SO DISRESPECTED.

And dedicated buttons to adjust the time would be nice too, because doing it through software is so unreliable. They totally make it slower on purpose so you can get the new one. Something something profit margins.

Deleted member 33319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I preordered a gold stainless steel watch with the Milanese band because I'm a big fucking idiot who loves her Apple Watch.