• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 31, 2022
Polygon has reported that a Yuri!!! on Ice movie has officially been canceled after 7 years in production:

www.polygon.com

Yuri!!! on Ice movie canceled after 7 years in production

It’s okay, Yuri, you’re still a champion

The long gestating Yuri!!! on Ice movie has officially been canceled. The movie was announced back in 2017, though news on the production front has been scant since. After a short teaser in 2018 and a note in 2020, the production team finally announced the cancelation on X this Friday.

Thank you very much for always supporting Yuri!!! On Ice.

Regarding the postponed release of Yuri!!! On Ice the movie: Ice Adolescence, we have tome to the decision to unfortunately cancel its production.

We deeply apologize for not being able to meet the expectations of all those who have been waiting and have continued to support us throughout these yers.

The production committee and staff have been in constant discussions to create and to deliver the movie, but due to various circumstances, we have had to make the difficult decision to stop production.

We sincerely apologize to everyone who has been anticipating gets release and thank you once again for your continued support.

View: https://twitter.com/yurionice_PR/status/1781155766172565922?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1781155766172565922%7Ctwgr%5Ea02150113393aace1c3d8d2f8f17ef24afb51079%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.polygon.com%2Fanime%2F2024%2F4%2F19%2F24134802%2Fyuri-on-ice-movie-ice-adolescence-canceled

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Everyone is calling it one of the biggest fumbles in anime, how they manage to mismanage that big of a success

Oct 25, 2017
7 years in production?!

I need to read the story behind this. Holy shit. I feel like cancellations like these for features are pretty rare in Japan too. Something must have gone really wrong…

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
How do you fuck this up? Yuri On Ice was huge when it came out. Not following that up asap was a massive mistake. Kinda figured this wasn't happening anymore a while ago but it still sucks :/ Love the anime and was really hoping for more.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
That's too bad. It's wild how they produce 4-5 hours of anime, and then somehow fail to produce 1-2 hours more in 7 years.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
So fucking stupid.

Really enjoyed the 1st season and OVA, hyped for more...And then fuck all.

They lost so much popularity fooling around.

I guess it wasn't born to make history.

R.7c455c9bfc150104075065b7c738c32f

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad it's not happening but with their reputation of grinding up talent for their shonen series I'm not surprised there were other casualties.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I completely forgot about this. I want to say that maybe COVID had an effect with this movie's production, but if they started it in 2017, then maybe not.

I'm just glad we still have the amazing series.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Didn't even know this was a thing but that sucks. Just watched this last year and absolutely loved it and would have been so in for more.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering what was going on with this movie, crazy that it's been 7 years.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the MAPPA CEO said that it made a lot of money, just not for them. Makes you wonder if they dragged their feet on purpose.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering about this recently. What a shame. The show was great and popular.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of us YOI fans saw the writing on the wall years ago. Between MAPPA saying they barely made money off of YOI, the lack of any news for ages, and the fact the studio could never actually say what this film would be about beyond Viktor's life before YOI…it always felt like everybody involved wasn't exactly sure what this film would be ABOUT and if it was even worth telling this story.

I will say YOI is the biggest popularity fumble in years, though. It's a show that is absolutely capable of having multiple seasons and films that focus on different skate seasons and competitions. Viktor's comeback after his year of coaching, Yurio's future as a prodigy, Yuuri's continued growth into confidence as well as his eventual marriage to Viktor…more of literally every single character plus a few new ones. THE OLYMPICS!!!!

But oh well. Better to let YOI stay…history.