• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 31, 2022
Ars Technica has reported on a new quantum dot display technology that could replace OLED, a technology referred to as QDEL, also referred to as NanoLED, QD-EL, QD-LED, or EL-QD. This new technology does not require a backlight, Ars Technica reports that "the quantum dots are the light source." Ars Technica reports that the company attempting to introduce QDEL display technology to commercial readiness is targeting 2026 but it's unknown when consumer displays will have QDEL technology:

arstechnica.com

Meet QDEL, the backlight-less display tech that could replace OLED in premium TVs

Interested in gadgets with premium displays? QDEL should be on your radar.

What comes after OLED?

With OLED-equipped TVs, monitors, and other gadgets slowly becoming more readily available at lower prices, attention is turning to what the next landmark consumer display tech will be.

Micro LED often features in such discussions, but the tech is not expected to start hitting consumer devices until the 2030s. Display makers are also playing with other futuristic ideas, like transparent and foldable screens. But when it comes to technology that could seriously address top user concerns—like image quality, price, and longevity—quantum dots seem the most pertinent at the moment.

Quantum dots are already moving in the premium display category, particularly through QD-OLED TVs and monitors. The next step could be QDEL, short for "quantum dot electroluminescent," also known as NanoLED, screens. Not to be confused with the QLED (quantum light emitting diode) tech already available in TVs, QDEL displays don't have a backlight. Instead, the quantum dots are the light source. The expected result is displays with wider color spaces than today's QD-OLEDs (quantum dot OLEDs) that are also brighter, more affordable, and resistant to burn-in.

It seems like QDEL is being eyed as one of the most potentially influential developments for consumer displays over the next two years.

If you're into high-end display tech, QDEL should be on your radar.

You may know QDEL as NanoLED because that's what Nanosys, a quantum dot supplier developing the technology, calls it. QDEL has gone by other names, such as QLED—before Samsung claimed that acronym for LCD-LED TVs that use quantum dots. You may also see QDEL referred to as QD-EL, QD-LED, or EL-QD. As the alphabet soup suggests, there are still some things to finalize with this tech. This article will mostly use the term QDEL, with occasional references to NanoLED.

If none of those names sound familiar, it's probably because you can't buy any QDEL products yet. Suppliers suggest that could change in the next few years; Nanosys is targeting 2026 for commercial availability.

That timeline seems pretty ambitious, though, considering the limited number of prototypes we've seen and the limitations still facing QDEL (more on that below). But even if we don't see QDEL for a while, there are reasons to keep an eye on the tech.

David Hsieh, senior research director for displays at research firm Omdia, told me via email that when it comes to consumer gadgets, he expects QDEL will most impact TVs, PC displays, and the automotive industry. If commercialized and mass-produced, QDEL can have a cost-to-performance ratio better than that of OLED, but it would still struggle to compete with LCD-LED on a cost basis.

A 2023 whitepaper (PDF) from Nanosys and manufacturing partner Sharp Display describes an inkjet printing manufacturing process that is applicable to QDEL monitors and TVs. The photolithography process is reportedly harder because quantum dots get damaged in the process, but it can expand QDEL applications to include tablets, laptops, smartphones, wearables, and AR/VR products. Jeff Yurek, Nanosys' VP of marketing, confirmed to me via email that Nanosys expects to see QDEL products made with photolithography come to market first.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
What do Tech Journalists have against OLED?

I remember like five years ago I was seeing similar articles insisting "OLED is a dead horse! [New Thing] is making OLED obsolete in real time!" - And yet, here I am, and OLED adoption has long since eclipsed what it was when "OLED is Dead".

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022

I remember like five years ago I was seeing similar articles insisting "OLED is a dead horse! [New Thing] is making OLED obsolete in real time!" - And yet, here I am, and OLED adoption has long since eclipsed what it was when "OLED is Dead".
What did they have against LCD? Or CRT?
Technology moves on and the tech press hypes the next thing.

OLED was never going to be the forever panel tech.

Coolent

Banned
Apr 13, 2024
THIS IS IT! I've been following this tv tech for the last 12 years and once this gets into production this will be the holy grail display tech until we get to 3d volumetric displays. This tech ELIMINATES any burn in and puts OLED even MicroLED to shame in color accuracy. The biggest this about this tech it can be made using regular LCD production plants not expensive low oxygen plants that OLEDs uses further saving production costs.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

• Burn-in with static content
  • High power use
  • Not as bright as other technologies
  • Motion resolution
  • Dark uniformity
  • Color volume not great with WOLED

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
What did they have against LCD? Or CRT?
Technology moves on and the tech press hypes the next thing.

OLED was never going to be the forever panel tech.

I don't expect OLED to be the default display forever

But there's also been embarrassing "OLED is Dead!" articles for years now that continually end up not being true.

Let's wait until something actually better actually exists and actually has good consumer impressions before we release the templated obituaries.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the roll out is as easy and affordable as Sharp makes it out to be, it'd really be a game changer.

Oct 26, 2017

I dunno, but this article ain't even close to what you're describing.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I don't expect OLED to be the default display forever

But there's also been embarrassing "OLED is Dead!" articles for years now that continually end up not being true.

Let's wait until something actually better actually exists and actually has good consumer impressions before we release the templated obituaries.
"X is dead" is just tech reporting

Outlets been calling non-electric cars dead for years and it was only past 12 months everyone sobered up about how we are nowhere near as far along that timeline as the hype was telling us.

I remember "film is dead" when the first 10megapixel digital SLR hit the market. Took a good few more years and megapixels before that was true.

In gaming, which has always been adjacent to tech reporting, for years an exciting new game in a genre dominated by something was called a "X killer". Headhunter on Dreamcast was gonna be a Metal Gear killer (lol). Every FPS was a Halo killer, until COD4 actually went and did it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda dubious about this. It's going to be a real short window for it to get to where it can be clearly better then OLED and the best fast IPS panels but before microled become affordable (unless microled manufacturing yields are never solved).

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Thing about OLED is that it's just not stable and unless you have like 10 different softwares that dim the light, shift the pixels etc, the risks of burn ins are very real. This is why an alternative is needed, if they can crack the code and make an OLED like quality with the longevity of a LCD, we are cooking

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There was a Digital Trends video on this a few months ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONWY3kbZc0

Looks very rudimentary and is still probably 10+ years away from actual implementation in consumer devices. And by then we may finally have microLED displays.

Yeah I saw this one too. By the time QDEL reaches consumer or enthusiast grade displays, the main battle will be between next-next-gen OLEDs and early microLED.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

What article did you read lol?

This is essentially a profile piece—of the technology. It's informing readers about this tech, its benefits, and the timeline of release. Seems bog standard.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
QDs have worked enough magic in LCD display technology in recent years that this is the one OLED competitor I can believe might go somewhere.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Exactly. It's like Plasma. Good enough but terrible long term. Reason I'll never buy an OLED TV lol
I mean, that's technology lol.

You really can't have this philosophy for tech. New things are always coming down the product pipeline.

Not to be morbid, but we're not going to live forever. Tech will move on. If I want to maximize access to the best tech available right now, nothing wrong with that.

I don't think the LG OLED folks are regretting their purchases.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I feel like every couple years we hear about a new holy grail display technology that is better than everything we have and has 0 drawbacks. And then it turns out to be impractical to manufacture, is too expensive, or is eclipsed by an iterative improvement of existing tech.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's technology lol.

You really can't have this philosophy for tech. New things are always down the product pipeline.
It's just for OLED tech I mean. Burn in still exists until a better tech takes over without it.

Until then LCD + FALD is more than enough for me with zero worries.

Plasma was nice too but had many drawbacks.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's just for OLED tech I mean. Burn in still exists until a better tech takes over without it.

Until then LCD + FALD is more than enough for me with zero worries.

Plasma was nice too but had many drawbacks.
The recent Sony LEDs are pretty impressive. Sony tax, tho.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Rad shit. My 11 year old Plasma is still holding out but who knows for how much longer.

Nothing against OLED of course, but I've held out so long I was hoping to leapfrog over it.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Could be wrong since I don't follow anything panel/TV related, but this is what I read like 15+ years ago when I first read Sony was working on OLED, the pixels were supposed to be their own light source. I guess only now that's becoming real.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Could be wrong since I don't follow anything panel/TV related, but this is what I read like 15+ years ago when I first read Sony was working on OLED, the pixels were supposed to be their own light source. I guess only now that's becoming real.
OLED displays do have pixels as their own light source, however they are expensive to make and don't have the endurance of LED+backlight displays which microLED and QDEL could solve

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like I have maybe one more OLED purchase in my future before getting to adopt something like this. Cool stuff.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Sounds like it's several years away from affordable TVs if we're being realistic. I'm gonna buy another OLED in the next year or two

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, as impressive as OLED's are, I still wish plasmas were made due to the combo of awesome black levels, contrast, and motion clarity. I don't think they've been topped yet taking into account all those variables, especially in the affordable segment of the TV market.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
The tech is exciting but when oh when are they going to make a new display tech with a name that won't be easily mistaken for one of the others. When QLED exists it is crazy to introduce something called QDEL. It looks like a typo at that point. Consumers already think OLED and QLED are the same.

Call it "Eliza" or something original so it's more easily distinguishable. Or "Super QD". ANYTHING unique.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
All well and good but if they can't put this tech in a 1500 quid telly any time soon, my next set will be another OLED.

Edit: Sorry. That was super dismissive. It's really neat and I hope it gets wider use if it's really all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I've worked on self-emissive QD for my bachelor's thesis and I've been waiting for this ever since.
The first time I heard about QD on tv's I was sad it was only a layer and it was a LCD below.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've got an LG C1 and I expect to use it until it's almost dead. 10+ years is what I hope for the thing at least. Excited to see new tech like this reported on and develop in the meantime.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
  • Burn-in with static content
  • High power use
  • Not as bright as other technologies
  • Motion resolution
  • Dark uniformity
  • Color volume not great with WOLED
Is Dark Uniformity that horrible dark-grey color banding issue that looks like bad bitrate? Game of Thrones season 8 'The Long Night' 4K BD on my LG OLED looks like garbage due to this.

Or is Dark Uniformity the same issue we see in some VR headsets where the pixels have different levels of brightness (or darkness if you will) during dark scenes, creating this weird texture.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Is Dark Uniformity that horrible dark-grey color banding issue that looks like bad bitrate? Game of Thrones season 8 'The Long Night' 4K BD on my LG OLED looks like garbage due to this.

Or is Dark Uniformity the same issue we see in some VR headsets where the pixels have different levels of brightness (or darkness if you will) during dark scenes, creating this weird texture.

I was referring to the 2nd one. On OLED it is common to get the appearance of vertical bars with dark grey backgrounds due to different levels of brightness that seems to affect pixels in columns. My set also has horizontal bars on white backgrounds (venetian blinds effect), but people seem to complain less about that, so maybe it is less widespread.

Patate

Oct 15, 2022
I'm still rocking a 2016 LG B6 in my basement, which still has great IQ after 8 years. It does suffer from burn-in, but it's not exactly a case of the whole picture being ruined.

Meanwhile the LG CX in my living room is still rocking a perfect IQ. So does my LG C2 as a computer monitor.

Basically, I believe burn-in stopped being a worrying issue by 2019. Oh sure it's possible to burn any OLED, but the difference is that on the B6 it happened while using it normally about 3 years after its purchase, right after the warranty expired. Meanwhile I've used the CX just as much, probably more, within the same period then add another year (2020-2024) yet I do not have any issue. It's brighter. It's burn-in free.

Whatever LG did to minimize this issue, it seems to have paid off.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The tech is exciting but when oh when are they going to make a new display tech with a name that won't be easily mistaken for one of the others. When QLED exists it is crazy to introduce something called QDEL. It looks like a typo at that point. Consumers already think OLED and QLED are the same.

Call it "Eliza" or something original so it's more easily distinguishable. Or "Super QD". ANYTHING unique.
Costumers confusing things and assuming everything is OLED is the intention I think

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the LG OLED folks are regretting their purchases.

Nope, on my third and I'll more than likely be getting a G4 early next year.
The B6 I ended up getting in 2016 at launch ended up going defective just a few months outside of the two year warranty, so I had to replace it with a C8, which I then gave to a friend in exchange for services, and I ended up getting a used 77'' C9 for extremely cheap at the end of 2022.

Been waiting forever for MicroLED, but that's still probably not going to be reality for actual consumer TVs for a few more years yet, so OLED is still the best right now.

This one weirds me out, because my OLED is capable of brightness that literally hurts my eyes.

Do people really need to get to the point where they're doing retina damage or something?!?

Controlled dark room environment vs "I like having all lights on/view content with the blinds open at noon".
It's mainly for HDR where having more nits makes a difference, and that's not for full screen brightness.

I was referring to the 2nd one. On OLED it is common to get the appearance of vertical bars with dark grey backgrounds due to different levels of brightness that seems to affect pixels in columns. My set also has horizontal bars on white backgrounds (venetian blinds effect), but people seem to complain less about that, so maybe it is less widespread.

My 77'' C9 does this and it drives me nuts when it happens. Never noticed it nearly as much on my 55'' and then 65'', so while I'm sure panel lottery is part of it, I think the larger you go, the more it stands out. Really does not happen that much with physical media (or disc rips), but it happens a lot from streaming.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds cool, just like how MicroLED sounded cool when I read about it forever ago.