No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Always be grifting! Even when questioned on a murderous animal spree, she still demands buying her book for the answer!

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
From the OP:

"But South Dakota Democratic Senate Minority Leader Reynold Nesiba considered the disclosure more calculated than stupid. He said the story has circulated for years among lawmakers that Noem killed a dog in a "fit of anger" and that there were witnesses. He speculated that it was coming out now because Noem is being vetted as a candidate for vice president.

"She knew that this was a political vulnerability, and she needed to put it out there, before it came up in some other venue," he said. "Why else would she write about it?""

So preventive damage control

AP kind of burying the lede here, and suggests her gambit to get ahead of the story is already somewhat successful since we're all still mostly talking about it under the framing of animal rights and rural lifestyles. Kristi Noem didn't decide to "put down" these animals, she went on a murderous rampage. She's a psycho who will kill you if you piss her off and she thinks she can get away with it.

I hope someone's trying to find those witnesses.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Let's do a quick fact check. The American Kennel Club website says the German Wirehaired Pointer breed has a life expectancy of 14-16 years. And Gundog Journal says they reach maturity at about 2 years. So 14 months does, in fact, qualify as a "puppy". So she's full of shit on that point.

And the "working dog" defense is maybe an even worse argument. She's implying that a dog that doesn't do its job deserves to die. I mean, that's very Republican of her; no doubt she feels the same about people (or at least some people).

I hope Cricket is the nail in the coffin of her career. And once she's out of a job, well...maybe she'll re-think her stance on the consequences of job failure.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Let's do a quick fact check. The American Kennel Club website says the German Wirehaired Pointer breed has a life expectancy of 14-16 years. And Gundog Journal says they reach maturity at about 2 years. So 14 months does, in fact, qualify as a "puppy". So she's full of shit on that point.

And the "working dog" defense is maybe an even worse argument. She's implying that a dog that doesn't do its job deserves to die. I mean, that's very Republican of her; no doubt she feels the same about people (or at least some people).

I hope Cricket is the nail in the coffin of her career. And once she's out of a job, well...maybe she'll re-think her stance on the consequences of job failure.
I like your optimism... but she's more likely going to get a pundit gig complaining how the 'mainstream media' ruined her life.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a Tiktok (i think it was from Christina Brown) where it was stated that dogs being humanized as a part of the family didn't really start happening in the manner that we see today until after the Civil Rights Act and everything about how white people treat their animals clicked for me.

in the Odyssey, Odysseus' dog Argos waits for him all the time he was out sieging Troy AND all the time Odysseus was trying to get back home, and he is super depressed cause his master is not home; upon seeing Odysseus the dog can only wag his tail one last time and die, cause he is old and sick

this is, of course, a myth, but it shows that the idea of a dog being the faithful companion of a man, and part of the family, is not new

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
in the Odyssey, Odysseus' dog Argos waits for him all the time he was out sieging Troy AND all the time Odysseus was trying to get back home, and he is super depressed cause his master is not home; upon seeing Odysseus the dog can only wag his tail one last time and die, cause he is old and sick

this is, of course, a myth, but it shows that the idea of a dog being the faithful companion of a man, and part of the family, is not new
Yeah, there's a lot of people here who really need to stop getting their history lessons from social media. Even tiktok, as much as some people at this site desperately want to say otherwise, is not immune from the algorithm spreading nonsense.

On top of my own prior research that has led me to encounter plenty of historical evidence of people treating pets (especially dogs) as more than just work animals long before the past half century, a fucking google search almost immediately turns up a treasure trove of ancient people talking about their dogs in ways that we do today.

Found on a tomb made for a family dog
"I am in tears, while carrying you to your last resting place as much as I rejoiced when bringing you home in my own hands fifteen years ago."

"My eyes were wet with tears, our little dog, when I bore thee (to the grave)... So, Patricus, never again shall thou give me a thousand kisses. Never canst thou be contentedly in my lap. In sadness have I buried thee, and thou deservist. In a resting place of marble, I have put thee for all time by the side of my shade. In thy qualities, sagacious thou wert like a human being. Ah, me! What a loved companion have we lost!"

"Issa's more pert than Lesbia's sparrow love, Purer than kisses of a turtle-dove, More sweet than hundred maidens rolled in one, Rarer than wealthy India's precious stone. She is the pet of Publius, Issa dear; She whines, a human voice you seem to hear."

Someone from 2000+ years ago referring to their dog as a furbaby
"To Helena, foster child, soul without comparison and deserving of praise."
I mean, fuck. One of the most harrowing accounts of the great depression I grew up with was an elderly neighbor talking about the time he encountered a family that had to butcher and cook the family house dog because it was literally that or starving.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

"Through my tenure on the House Armed Services Committee," she wrote, "I had the chance to travel to many countries to meet with world leaders. I remember when I met with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. I'm sure he underestimated me, having no clue about my experience staring down little tyrants (I'd been a children's pastor, after all). Dealing with foreign leaders takes resolve, preparation and determination. My experiences on those many foreign trips made me a better member of Congress and a stronger governor. It allowed me to hone my deal-making skills, which play a crucial role in leadership."
šŸ¤£

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of people here who really need to stop getting their history lessons from social media. Even tiktok, as much as some people at this site desperately want to say otherwise, is not immune from the algorithm spreading nonsense.

On top of my own prior research that has led me to encounter plenty of historical evidence of people treating pets (especially dogs) as more than just work animals long before the past half century, a fucking google search almost immediately turns up a treasure trove of ancient people talking about their dogs in ways that we do today.

Found on a tomb made for a family dog

Someone from 2000+ years ago referring to their dog as a furbaby

I mean, fuck. One of the most harrowing accounts of the great depression I grew up with was an elderly neighbor talking about the time he encountered a family that had to butcher and cook the family house dog because it was literally that or starving.
Yep, if anything people have been WAY crazier about the lives of their pets than they are today.

Diodorus is quoted observing the Egyptians:

When one of these animals dies they wrap it in fine linen and then, wailing and beating their breasts, carry it off to be embalmed; and after it has been treated with cedar oil and such spices as have the quality of imparting a pleasant odour and of preserving the body for a long time,23 they lay it away in a consecrated tomb. 6 And whoever intentionally kills one of these animals is put to death, unless it be a cat or an ibis that he kills; but if he kills one of these, whether intentionally or unintentionally, he is certainly put to death, for the common people gather in crowds and deal with the perpetrator most cruelly, sometimes doing this without waiting for a trial.

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/thaye...lls,perpetrator most cruelly, sometimes doing