Status
Not open for further replies.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If you use Batocera, do not update it!

github.com

start of nintendo system removal by dmanlfc · Pull Request #11388 · batocera-linux/batocera.linux

batocera.linux. Contribute to batocera-linux/batocera.linux development by creating an account on GitHub.

All these emulators will be gone from Batocera OS. Every Nintendo system from Game & Watch to Wii U.
  • Dolphin
  • Citra
  • Cemu
  • MelonDS
  • Drastic
  • Gambatte
  • TGB Dual
  • mGBA
  • VBA
  • Pokemini
  • Game & Watch
  • Mupen64
  • Mupen64Plus_Next
  • Parallel N64

I'm in the Batocera Discord and there's a lot of panic, but I don't know any details about the legal action. I'll stay on Bato v39 for now so I can play F-Zero. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Keep closing this sites/projects Nintendo, just more of them will pop up lol.
I will not be surprised if Switch 2 Emu again starts at the start of the console's cycle due to a security exploit potentially.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Is this specific action issued to Batocera or just worried after everything else?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
glad i downloaded all my emus and threw them on an external for safekeeping.

This sucks.

OP
OP
Guppeth

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
If you want Batocera for your Steam Deck or whatever, download it right now.

batocera.linux

Only Cores That Matter

Like, right now! They will update everything on this page, probably within the next few hours.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
What is batocera? And it says OS so why would they be responsible for somebody making an emulator work on it?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some reason they'd target this specifically over the many other ways to emulate on Linux?

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: drive-by posting, sniping at other members
Weird, so many Nintendo flairs assured era that it was only because yuzu devs had a patreon.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
If it's legal it should be available. I really hate what Nintendo's doing here.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of rich, lawyer'd-up companies bullying small developers of legitimate software. But that's what the legal system is for I guess.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Wish Nintendo would challenge some actual big company over this shit so they could lose in court and stop bothering everyone with this garbage

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, so many Nintendo flairs assured era that it was only because yuzu devs had a patreon.
I mean, if you have a theory why ryujinx was not given a lawsuit but yuzu and this was, go for it. No need to try to blame posters that was trying to understand why it received a lawsuit instead of their usual dmca approach.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if they intend to go after fucking everything over time. Can they successfully go after every single Nintendo emulator, and anything attached to them, one at a time?
Who has the money to stop them?

It's a cynical as fuck play from Nintendo but it might work. Scaring away the legal emulator developers is far easier than stopping the illegal ROM distributors.

OP
OP
Guppeth

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I don't like where things are going, time to back up retro emulators.

Seems like Nintendo is targeting software that makes it accessible to emulate rather than emulators themselves. I hope Doug Bowser stubs his toe every day from now on.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's a cynical as fuck play from Nintendo but it might work. Scaring away the legal emulator developers is far easier than stopping the illegal ROM distributors.

Yep. Nobody is going to be able to fight them. And like, all of this shit instantly becomes worthless without Nintendo stuff. Like, what is the point of any of these frontends and whatnot without them?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has stated for decades they think emulators themselves are illegal.

Now it looks like they're just going to strong arm their way into making that happen.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'm downloading all Nintendo emulators just to be safe, even if I don't plan on using them right away.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Fuck Nintendo. The dogshittiest of dogshit dinosaur companies.

Yep. Nobody is going to be able to fight them. And like, all of this shit instantly becomes worthless without Nintendo stuff. Like, what is the point of any of these frontends and whatnot without them?

I mean lets not go crazy lmao. Nintendo makes good games but they (or their systems) don't have a monopoly on worthwhile retro experiences. Closest thing would be handhelds pre-DS era but that's about it. It's good that these front ends continue to exist so that devs can work on them, and others can fork and bundle in all the nintendo shit if need be.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if they intend to go after fucking everything over time. Can they successfully go after every single Nintendo emulator, and anything attached to them, one at a time?
It really doesn't matter if you think your emulator/headend/sw/whathaveyou is legit for reasons x, y, or z. If Nintendo decides you shouldn't exist, you probably are not going to exist.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's still the old sony, microsoft, sega, etc. emus, but honestly, i have no clue what is the ratio of emulators users that is for nintendo stuff versus the rest.
(Would be a damn shame is stuff like pcsx2 is touched in the end, that one is a godsend to replay my old ps2 games since it can read directly from the dvd drive my disks ever since the old console died out.)

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if Valve would step in and foot the legal costs to defend one of these groups and put the legal grounds of all of this to the test. I think Nintendo is playing a calculated game of chicken here; they know none of these groups can afford to fight them in court, but I'm sure they would be scared out of their blue overalls if someone actually said "yeah no, we got the cash, let's test this in court."

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the people on YouTube posting Nintendo games on Steam deck made them more aware of it than they already were they are taking action now

I think some Linus tech tips video even taunted Nintendo to take their video down show casing Nintendo games on steam deck

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Would be cool if Valve would step in and foot the legal costs to defend one of these groups and put the legal grounds of all of this to the test. I think Nintendo is playing a calculated game of chicken here; they know none of these groups can afford to fight them in court, but I'm sure they would be scared out of their blue overalls if someone actually said "yeah no, we got the cash, let's test this in court."
Valve values their business relationship with Nintendo a thousand times more than the right to emulate games

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would valve care about paying legal costs to something not even in their system, that makes them no money?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Valve ratted Dolphin's team out to Nintendo. In what world would they do what you suggest.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the people on YouTube posting Nintendo games on Steam deck made them more aware of it than they already were they are taking action now

I think some Linus tech tips video even taunted Nintendo to take their video down show casing Nintendo games on steam deck

I am curious how much this stuff played a role. It fucking sucks how mediocre Nintendo's emulation offerings are compared to any of this stuff. Instead of competing (which they literally can't do when it comes to the number of games) they are just going to snuff out their superior alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.