• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
For what it's worth, I think Thor, Thor 2, and a couple of other Marvel films have been fuck awful, yet their scores haven't been hammered the way DCEU films have. And yes, I'd go so far as to say MoS, BvS, and JL are superior films. Suicide Squad is rancid ass, though.
They are not "superior films". They are trash, and most people outside fandoms think that.

Wonder Woman gets praised for the same reason most of Marvel Studios films get appraisal: they are good blockbuster films. If one day you are able to step outside a fandom driven mind, you'll perceive that. That DCEU films other than Wonder Woman have been trash isn't really simply an opinion, but the general common sense.

It's okay to like those films, it's okay even to like them more than "Marvel Studios" films, but claiming critical bias is absurd.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They are not "superior films". They are trash, and most people outside fandoms think that.

Wonder Woman gets praised for the same reason most of Marvel Studios films get appraisal: they are good blockbuster films. If one day you are able to step outside a fandom driven mind, you'll perceive that. That DCEU films other than Wonder Woman have been trash isn't really simply an opinion, but the general common sense.

It's okay to like those films, it's okay even to like them more than "Marvel Studios" films, but claiming critical bias is absurd.
Like I said, you can call them trash, I think they're still better than the Thor films. Thor 2, in particular, is an absolutely atrocious film.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Like I said, you can call them trash, I think they're still better than the Thor films. Thor 2, in particular, is an absolutely atrocious film.
Thor 2 is the worst reviewed Marvel Studios film, and for good reason. I still like it better than any of the DCEU films other than Wonder Woman só far, but saying that the DCEU films other than Wonder Woman are better accomplished films than Thor and Thor: Ragnarok is just flat out against the common sense among critics and public.

It's okay to like bad films, Thor 2 is a mess of a bad movie but I still enjoy it. It isn't by no means better than Wonder Woman or the other MCU films tho.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Score reveals are gross. They tend to do this with films from studios that have money in Rotten Tomatoes/Fandango. Ie. Warner Bros.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
DCEU Twitter continues to be a force for fucking hounding anyone who says they didn't like a movie. Jesus Christ.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OF COURSE that DCEU hardcores would attack the reviewer. Gross. And I wouldn't put behind them to take a tweet out of context or worse, making shit up. The tweet doesn't seem to exist, btw. And the fact that they went through her twitter feed to try to make her look bad is even more infuriating.

Obvious racist agenda
Yeah, not the brighest dude around

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Obvious racist agenda
Yeah, not the brighest dude around

Obviously doesn't make using the word better, but a guy in the comments says that's a line from a song she's quoting in the Tweet there too. Pretty sure there's no racist intent here. Though expect this to get shared by by AmazonianSonOfZodWayne or whoever for the next few weeks, especially if this doesn't score as highly as they want.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Rottentomatoes' scheme to post 2/5 reviews for movies using a reviewer that said the N-Word one time in 2015 on Twitter has been exposed. It was the biggest conspiracy known to man and Tom_Draws has exposed it.
The hero the DCEU deserves.
Again, I'm not defending using the word but this is straight up insanity. They probably organizing a harassment campaign on some discord server rn.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long as she aint got a long ass history of saying nigga it a fuck up and move on thing. We all know only reason dudes are doing this is cus she gave a rotten review, which probably makes them worse than her

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Whole situation is stupid all around, but how hard is it to not say the n-word?
It's not hard, and yes, I would say that lady or anybody that uses the word casually is a racist, whether it was in 2015 or not a hard "er".

It's even possible she has since apologized. I would say that you'd need more than one tweet 3 years back to try and argue some kind of racist agenda here as that guy is trying to do though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I think Thor, Thor 2, and a couple of other Marvel films have been fuck awful, yet their scores haven't been hammered the way DCEU films have. And yes, I'd go so far as to say MoS, BvS, and JL are superior films. Suicide Squad is rancid ass, though.
ok but again, these are the same critics who gave Nolan's films and Wonder Woman high marks. So unless there's a selective anti-DC bias going on in the film critic community, I don't know what the point of "they haven't had their scores hammered the way DC's movies have" is. They can only like the movies they like.

Also, timing matters. I thought the first Thor was fine but I also definitely enjoyed it more when I saw it in 2011 than when I rewatched it this year. No doubt some of these movies benefited from coming early on in the glut of post-2008 superhero movies. But the genre has expanded and diversified and gotten generally more interesting since then. Standards have changed, and something like that first Thor would probably not be as well-received if it were released exactly as is for the first time in 2019. Which is why I get weary when I hear reviewers compare Aquaman to a phase 1 Marvel movie. "Phase 1 Marvel movies" were 6-7 years ago!

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

I hardly think whether someone thinks a movie is good is a matter of common sense. It's as much an opinion as anything else. General consensus =! objective truth.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
There is a narrative. Once this narrative is established it's pretty difficult to remove. The narrative is that Snyder movies and some DCEU fans both suck . It is true.
Snyder movies are often not that good and DCEU fans suck but I fear this inherent bias built as a result of this narrative seeps into other movies . Now suicide squad was the worst of DCEU. I fear that because of this narrative the hurdle of passing the "im going in expecting to nitpick it apart considering how bad it might be " inherently lowers the score a few percentage points below its deserved value

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is a narrative. Once this narrative is established it's pretty difficult to remove. The narrative is that Snyder movies and some DCEU fans both suck . It is true.
Snyder movies are often not that good and DCEU fans suck but I fear this inherent bias built as a result of this narrative seeps into other movies . Now suicide squad was the worst of DCEU. I fear that because of this narrative the hurdle of passing the "im going in expecting to nitpick it apart considering how bad it might be " inherently lowers the score a few percentage points below its deserved value
Agreed.

Oct 27, 2017

The narrative has existed for a lot longer than that. They didnt make a good non-batman movie between Superman (1978) and Wonder Woman (2017)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If you think the AO Scotts and Richard Roepers of the world are walking into a DC movie with this chip on their shoulders, I don't know what to tell you. This "narrative" is total projection. Most critics are not operating in this world and don't care. In fact, many of them would probably be fine if they never saw another superhero movie again.

As it is, there have only been two non-Snyder DCEU movies released anyway - one of which you yourself said was the worst of the lot, the other which received some of the best reviews of any superhero movie of the past decade. So fears about this "narrative" seeping into other DC movies and inherently depreciating their RT value don't seem justified so far. If anything, it feels like a premature excuse for explaining away any potential bad reviews Aquaman may get - even though the movie might get good reviews anyway!

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
As a critic posting an Aquaman review on RT tomorrow I can assure these fools there's no "agenda" out for this movie or any DC movie lmao.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If this movie ends up being good, the trailers sure aren't doing it any favors. Some of the worst trailers I've seen.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's good for the people looking forward to it at the very least. Even if I end up not liking it myself, like with Wonder Woman for example (Holy moley does that film fall apart in it's last act, Ares is awful.), I can't take away from the people that did really enjoy that film. Worst is if it's a bad or a mediocre film (Although I wonder how Aquaman ends up Mediocre, this feels like it's either a really good or really bad situation considering the trailers) then those looking forward to are much more likely to have a bad time and leave disappointed by it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just occurred to me that this movie is still coming out the same weekend as Into the Spider-Verse.

I thought that was foolish when it was first announced, and now that I've seen Into the Spider-Verse, oof.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Just occurred to me that this movie is still coming out the same weekend as Into the Spider-Verse.

I thought that was foolish when it was first announced, and now that I've seen Into the Spider-Verse, oof.
Huh? Spider-Verse is coming out a week earlier for one. And two, it's already making a killing overseas. Where have you been?

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Spider-Verse is out this weekend. Aquaman is next weekend (but the Amazon Aquaman screenings are Saturday night).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the fact that Spider-Verse is a quite artsy and non Pixar animation will put a ceiling on it that word of mouth will have to fight. Hope to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.