ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick search and couldn't find any existing threads devoted to sharing and discussing awesome promotional artwork for arcade games, so I felt called to create one because arcade flyer artwork is awesome.

Coin-op games in the 80's and 90's had to stand out from one another in crowded arcades by grabbing players' attention with eye-popping graphics and sound that you couldn't get from any home consoles at the time. Flashy presentation was often what enticed new players to give a game a try (at the cost of 50 cents), and then the game would have to rely on a careful balance of tight, fun gameplay and escalating challenge to keep people playing while imposing a skill requirement that would keep the quarters flowing. It was truly survival of the fittest in 80's/90's arcades, and coin-op developers had to use every tool at their disposal to get their games out there and make them a success.

Arcade flyers were one mechanism through which coin-op publishers/vendors could advertise their upcoming releases to arcade operators. They were kind of like movie posters mixed with an advertorial flyer, if that makes sense. They'd often feature beautiful, hand-drawn artwork commissioned exclusively for the flyers (and maybe occasionally used on the sides or marquee of the cabinets themselves), and they showcased a more detailed, illustrated view of the game's world and characters than the in-game pixel art could at the time.

The thing is, most consumers never really saw these arcade flyers until many years later once people started scanning and preserving them on the internet. Maybe sometimes the same art from the flyers would find its way into a magazine ad for a home console port down the line.

Here are some resources to draw from when seeking out flyers for this thread:

And are a few quick examples of beautiful arcade flyers that I personally like to kick things off. I'll post more later in the thread as well.

Black%2BLabel%2BFlyer.jpg
latest
tumblr_o2nljfEsF21sctm9xo1_1280.jpg

Pictured from left to right: DoDonPachi DaiOuJou, Metal Slug 3, Street Fighter III: Third Strike

40467ef9b4cf3859204470897e9ef6e3.jpg
MarvelVsCapcom_1998_500.jpg
10017801.jpg

Pictured from left to right: Eco Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter

10008801.jpg
822aadec-9f7b-44c5-af48-4579c464b834.jpg
60000701.jpg

Pictured from left to right: Progear, Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors, Batsugun

Last edited: