MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm allergic to dust but the main draw for me is not having to dust all the time, my house has tons of it and it's annoying as hell

Hoping for some deals on Black Friday

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dunno, my Phillips purifier is relatively loud but I have it set to allergen mode rather than industrial pollution mode. That makes it louder. The built-in AQI sensor shows like 10-15 most of the time when I turn it on, dropping to 1 when it's been on for a while. It helps a bit with my dust allergy though I think buying a special dust mite vacuum for the bed and a general vacuum cleaner with a built in HEPA filter was probably more important.

My Levoit air purifier with an hepa filter doesn't work for shit, like at all. I can have the air purifier on in the room at night and my phone is covered in dust in the morning. I hoover more dust from my floor in a week than purifier has accumulated in several months.
That's not what it's designed for, air purifiers are for small particles, not acting as a vacuum cleaner. The manual of my Phillips device outright states it's "not a substitute for vacuum cleaning or ventilating". If your place is that dusty it might clog up the whole device.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Literally just bought a Conway Airmega and got it today. Im gonna see if it cuts down on dust and is able to absorb the food aromas since I live in a condo. If it can do one or both, Ill be very satisfied.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I use one in the winter when all my windows are shut up. In fact, I should set mine up and my humidifier as well.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here have the Molekule Air? I was thinking of picking up one for Christmas gift for girlfriend who has asthma for our place.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uhh, you got fix the ventilation issue. Air purifiers are nice to have, but they'll do nothing for that.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
It works, but Google is useless for figuring out which is better since it mostly comes down to SEO farms.

Don't pay too much attention to the talk about how quiet the fan is at the lowest setting, because you probably need to run it at medium for the most significant effect. Max setting being for when no one is there because it's so loud so it's mostly for clearing out a room before or after you leave it.

Probably depends on the size of your allergens and how prone they are to stick to surfaces tbf.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread. I've been thinking of buying one since both me and my wife suffer from allergies. We have a roomba plus we vacuum once a week and we still find a shitload of dust.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yep, back when the fires in CA were raging (the one that made it look like the post-apocalypse), I had my air purifier and it was great. I live in a studio in the city so when I cook or open my windows cause it's stuffy it's extremely helpful.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one during the fires here in LA and it certainly has been worth the investment when you got a ton of allergies.

Nov 17, 2017
I can't speak about allergies, but as someone who has suffered with severe dry eyes for the past year and a half buying an air purifier was the single biggest improvement to my life since then. Up until I bought it I could barely get through my regular work hours, and could really only listen to audio books for recreation. With it though I can actually stay up to about 10-11pm looking at a screen, without my eyes driving me crazy.

When you are in good health you don't realize the sheer amount of dust that could be in the air around you, and how much work your body does to prevent it from affecting you. I can instantly tell when a room or area is ever so slightly dusty and it suuuucks.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Needed it for wildfires. Made a crucial difference. Also helps with my girlfriend's allergies. And less importantly it does seem to help with cooking odors.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I have bad springtime allergies, and live next to a forest. This year I bought an air purifier to see if would make a difference. It helped so much I got angry at myself for not buying one sooner.

Levoit Core 300 from Amazon is what I use, always plenty of dust on the filter every time I check it.

thank you! I have been trying to buy this since august, it was always sold out - i assume due to the CA wildfires

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have the Molekule Air? I was thinking of picking up one for Christmas gift for girlfriend who has asthma for our place.

Wirecutter tested it and found it to be awful. The claims the company make don't hold up. In fact, it can be worse than not using one because it stirs up particles in the air by blowing them around and not letting them settle.

I think it's one of those companies that just advertises on social media and charges a huge amount to make it seem attractive.

www.nytimes.com

The Best Air Purifier

Get cleaner air in a range of room sizes with air purifiers we’ve tested and measured firsthand.

Get a tried and true machine that uses a HEPA filter for much less and it will actually do something.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Wirecutter tested it and found it to be awful. The claims the company make don't hold up. In fact, it can be worse than not using one because it stirs up particles in the air by blowing them around and not letting them settle.

I think it's one of those companies that just advertises on social media and charges a huge amount to make it seem attractive.

www.nytimes.com

The Best Air Purifier

Get cleaner air in a range of room sizes with air purifiers we’ve tested and measured firsthand.

Get a tried and true machine that uses a HEPA filter for much less and it will actually do something.
Thanks for that link. Guess I am getting the Mighty for the living room and the Core 3000 for the bedroom.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but if the house has central air, will an air purified be needed?
Yes. While the HVAC filter does help your indoor air quality, its main purpose is to keep dust and dirt out of the furnace where it causes reduced energy-efficiency and potentially repair bills. An air purifier increases the air quality in your home, whether you choose a whole-home air purifier or portable ones.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
We have the Coway AP-1512.

Yes, it's legit. If you fart within 6-10 feet of it, it senses the fart and starts cleaning the air.

My wife got it to help with leftover cooking smells but it also works wonders for allergies.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it's legit. If you fart within 6-10 feet of it, it senses the fart and starts cleaning the air.

My wife got it to help with leftover cooking smells but it also works wonders for allergies.
You just helped me sell it to my wife because of the fart filtering.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I guess everyone with an air purifier had 'this moment', but was maybe afraid to mention it. But yeah, you know it actually is working the first time you see this happen ;)

Another interesting scenario - hoovering with my Dyson kicks off the purifier. I guess, despite its own filters, the vacuum cleaner may not be expelling air that's as clean as it should be... that or it's just kicking up pollutants.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'm very sensitive to bad air quality and my new apartment was very dusty when I moved in - so I was severely congested to the point where I couldn't sleep. I was gifted an air purifier / humidifier and it was such a relief to breathe again, aha

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but if the house has central air, will an air purified be needed?
You can buy a purifier for your system but they are generally much more expensive because they need multiple stages in order to keep a minimum airflow moving through your system, plus they only work when your system or fans are on. Better suited with "spot cleaning".

My wife had bad allergies and we get the best use out of a purifier in the bedroom. Better sleep and waking up without issues, plus it's cheaper than trying to get big ones for large living areas

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Yes. While the HVAC filter does help your indoor air quality, its main purpose is to keep dust and dirt out of the furnace where it causes reduced energy-efficiency and potentially repair bills. An air purifier increases the air quality in your home, whether you choose a whole-home air purifier or portable ones.

Thanks for the explanation. That $99 air purifier looks like a good buy.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Yep, back when the fires in CA were raging (the one that made it look like the post-apocalypse), I had my air purifier and it was great. I live in a studio in the city so when I cook or open my windows cause it's stuffy it's extremely helpful.
How loud is this air purifier btw?

The Wirecutter article mentioned that it was "visually and audibly intrusive", but a lot of the Amazon reviews seem to indicate that the noise is not much of an issue.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
How loud is this air purifier btw?

The Wirecutter article mentioned that it was "visually and audibly intrusive", but a lot of the Amazon reviews seem to indicate that the noise is not much of an issue.

On sleep mode it's barely a whisper and I have no problem falling asleep to it. On it's highest setting doing work it's about as loud as the hum of an AC (if that really).

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much everyone for your recs, please keep them coming, my parents (and I) are already discussing some of the options presented here :)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
If you want anybody in the room to get a loud alert from a machine every time you let out a silent fart, then yes. At least you get confirmation it's working when that happens.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

ok Ive looked this up but I am reading that the life of this product is questionable. Ive read that some units are making crazy noises after awhile, some are breaking down in ~4 months, and some are even having their fans explode!?

How long have you had yours if you dont mind me asking?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
We have a couple of honeywell ones and they make a big difference. My allergies are vastly improved.

But you have to combine them with keeping filters clean and replacing ac filters too. Clean air is a combination of many factors in the house.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever

I don't have experience with it personally but if its HEPA (which it says it is) then that seems to be the current gold standard. Of course this particular device is cheap and small so it would be best for smaller spaces, like a bedroom.

Ever since I got my purifier (thanks to Era earlier this year for recommendations! Ended up with a Winix 5500-2) I have been really happy with it. My partner teases me because I carry it from room to room sometimes, even when I use the bathroom, lol. HEPA purifiers just work well. Totally worth it. I want to buy more purifiers for the whole house now, and for my friends and family :)

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
ok Ive looked this up but I am reading that the life of this product is questionable. Ive read that some units are making crazy noises after awhile, some are breaking down in ~4 months, and some are even having their fans explode!?

How long have you had yours if you dont mind me asking?

I have the same one, never once heard of any issues with it, in fact it gets crazy praise online. I've had mine a year.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Just purchased a Winix C545 from Costco. Pretty sweet deal at 129ish. Already put one in the living room and quality was poor lol. Within an hour back to good. Thinking of getting the same one for our restroom or the Levoit Core 300. For 30 more I've got a stronger more efficient unit plus two years worth of filters due to a Costco deal.