haziq

Oct 29, 2017
My mom is bipolar, and I recently came to the realization that I might be. I don't know what the triggers are, but I've noticed pretty drastic mood swings this week & I don't know what to do about it.

So, is this kind of stuff genetic? Is it a conditioning thing?

EDIT: I've realized it's probably not a good idea for me to ever have kids, if I do have BPD.

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like something was always up with my mother but she never went for therapy. Now I feel like I've got the same issues.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It depends.

A starting point for learning more is the National Institute for Mental Health.

www.nimh.nih.gov

Bipolar Disorder

Learn about bipolar disorder, including signs and symptoms, types, risk factors, how it is diagnosed, and potential treatments and therapies.

If you're concerned about your mental health, it's worth talking to a licensed professional.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genes can predispose you to certain issues, but they don't comdemn you to them.

Why do you say it's not a good idea to have kids if you have bipolar disorder? I know people who are bipolar who are great parents.

Dec 30, 2020
Eyup. I got to inherit bipolar disorder which was... I mean I would've rather gotten a clock or a photo album.

To quote This Be The Verse:

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
My mom is bipolar, and I recently came to the realization that I might be. I don't know what the triggers are, but I've noticed pretty drastic mood swings this week & I don't know what to do about it.

EDIT: I've realized it's probably not a good idea for me to ever have kids, if I do have BPD.

BPD is Borderline Personality Disorder. Bipolar Disorder is not the same thing.

But yeah, lots of genetic components, and while it's not ideal to lump "mental health" all together, it's increasingly clear that parents with undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues are more likely to create environments which produce children with mental health issues.

OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Why do you say it's not a good idea to have kids if you have bipolar disorder? I know people who are bipolar who are great parents.
As you can probably tell by my post history, I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I'd imagine someone with lacking mental stability wouldn't necessarily make for a good parent. I can barely handle the depression end of things; adding bipolar disorder to that is pretty much a death knell for family life. I don't want to put any child through what I went through.

Jibberhack

Oct 30, 2017
I believe so, yes. Hereditary can just mean behaviors passed down through family units. If one person has a personality disorder and its host of behaviors, it's likely that they are passing on those behaviors to their children.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of genetic components to them, yeah. More and more being researched and discovered every year too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
There's a genetic component, yeah. It's not guaranteed but there's greater risk.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it can skip a generation. My mother had a plethora of issues that are present in my daughter.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Have it from my mom 100%, my shit isn't something that was acquired

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My mom had severe depression and I have depression and anxiety as well. How much of that is nature vs nurture I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet it's partially a genetic thing.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It runs wide on both sides of my family, my sibling has the sames issues as I, both of my parents have it, countless uncles and cousins...

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
it's both. Environmental factors such as abuse, stressful environment and/or neglect can play a part. Which explains why you can be a genetic twin and one has it and the other doesn't.

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, inherited my fathers ADHD. Unfortunately, didnt get my diagnosis until I was 39, him in his late 60s. Looking back, I could definitely tell how it affected my education.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This is definitely not something for Era friend. If you are concerned, please consult with a professional sooner than later.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Seems to be in my family, for sure. Me, my brother, my mom, two aunts, at least one grandfather and a great-grandfather were all afflicted with some pretty debilitating anxiety; and, especially, depression issues. Also have an uncle whom is a very obvious, in-denial bipolar case.

My own mental illness symptoms are almost scarily similar to my mom's (plus an extra dosage of C-PTSD on top of that). Really unfortunate that she always refused all treatment to her dying day; other than agreeing to go on Prozac due to pressure from her GP. Then the last 30+ years of her life might have been more fulfilling vs more or less just waiting around to die. I finally started to take my own struggles seriously seven years ago and it's made a significant difference for me.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
My mom had severe depression and I have depression and anxiety as well. How much of that is nature vs nurture I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet it's partially a genetic thing.

It's combined. Genetics traits are not systematically activated, it will also depend on the context and experiences and your own special mix of genes.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
Heritability varies by mental health issue, but most are to a large degree.

Certain issues like anxiety are highly heritable.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely can be. People said I looked like my Mom when I was a kid and after becoming an adult, I have nearly the same neuroses and mental health issues.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. Neurological and some mental health issues are often genetic (and many of those can be hereditary or at least predispose one to a condition), some are the result of environment, trauma, or chance. I would recommend consulting a professional like others have suggested if you have concerns.

Last edited:

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Every health issue is partially genetic. Your body and brain's composition was determined by your parents. The environment has influence, but the range of reactions you can have to that environment is determined by your genetics.

Not having kids because of it is a bridge too far though. The solution to mental health challenges is for society to normalize discussing mental health issues and seeking treatment on them

I'll probably be on antidepressants for the rest of my life. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't have been born. We just need to reduce stigma on taking them.

I can't speak to knowing what living bipolar is like exactly, or how effective the treatments are, so i understand it's not right for me to judge what decisions other people make about having kids.

However, i am very concerned at the idea of trying to "breed out" mental illness in society. That just sounds like a slippery slope.

OP
OP
haziq

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Every health issue is partially genetic. Your body and brain's composition was determined by your parents. The environment has influence, but the range of reactions you can have to that environment is determined by your genetics.

Not having kids because of it is a bridge too far though. The solution to mental health challenges is for society to normalize discussing mental health issues and seeking treatment on them

I'll probably be on antidepressants for the rest of my life. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't have been born. We just need to reduce stigma on taking them.

I can't speak to knowing what living bipolar is like exactly, or how effective the treatments are, so i understand it's not right for me to judge what decisions other people make about having kids.

However, i am very concerned at the idea of trying to "breed out" mental illness in society. That just sounds like a slippery slope.
It's not about trying to breed out people with mental illness. I'm no antinatalist. It's more about recognizing any potential undue suffering for someone that didn't ask to be here. Especially since American society isn't exactly keen on helping the kids who are born into these potentially unstable environments.

I just think it only makes sense for me to have kids if I had the economic, mental, and emotional stabilities necessary to ensure the child doesn't suffer unnecessarily.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It would be better if you talked to a doctor about it. But a lot of mental health issues have both a genetic and environmental component. Having a certain gene doesn't make you predisposed to it.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I get where you're coming from OP. I've been really mad at my parents for not getting their mental health shit together before having kids. Which was basically responsible for me developing severe anxiety and attachment issues, and my sister milder attachment issues. And you're supposed to make sure you're kids are happy, not saddle them with your unresolved issues.

However, as far as I know anxiety isn't genetically hereditary, and my developing it is all because of their behavior influencing my/our upbringing. And it's made me adament in making sure I get my shit in order myself before I ever have kids.

So I get your concerns. And looking at bipolar disorder specifically, it seems that it is gentically hereditary. The odds of a child developing bipolar disorder if you have a close relative with bd is ten percent higher. And since your mom has it, and you think you have it, I'd say that applies to you. Very much unfortunately. Though I would really advise getting diagnosed.

That said, healthy stress coping skills seem to affect triggering bipolar symptoms. So if you have those, and a child would have those, it diminishes the chances.

This is all off the top of my head from my psychology studies though. If you're really serious about dealing with this you should really get help from a professional.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I have athsma, depression, psychosis and ASD among other things that can be passed down. No shot im ever going to put that on another person.
Everyone I was close with already decided that depression alone was enough of a dealbreaker so I said fuck it, some of us just have to be like this. Getting kicked while you're down seems to be the human experience.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017

If you noticed mood swings going up and down within a week, then it's probably not bipolar. Depressive episodes with bipolar usually lasts at least 2 weeks (can last for months). Hypomanic episodes (where you're feeling happier than the average person and willing to do more stuff in general) lasts at least 4 days.

Either way, if you're feeling convinced you're dealing with something serious, I suggest setting up an appointment with your doctor. If you have bipolar or anything else, it's better to have it figured out earlier than later.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
my dad and most of the men in his family are addicts. their father was an addict.

and I'm an addict.

with depression and anxiety.

but my wife has none of these except for anxiety so maybe there is hope!

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Might have a link in some cases, but mostly is a thing of behavioural patherns that are learned growing up

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Bipolar isn't just "mood swings", it's a cycles of depression and mania each over several days.

Talk to a professional; don't self diagnose.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
It can be, but the far more relevant question is how do you deal with it.

There's a huge difference between those who don't take their disorder seriously or are undiagnosed, and those who seek professional help and have the means to deal with it.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Can be. Schizophrenia absolutely is.

"Modeling" plays a big part with some. My mom is a classic catastrophizer. Whenever she would get stressed about something when I was a kid, she would say "I'm going to have a heart attack …I'm going to have a stroke," etc. I never really paid it any mind…but now at 43, I have diagnosed panic disorder. …GUESS WHAT I IMMEDIATELY THINK WHEN I HAVE A PANIC ATTACK?!?!?

I try not to place blame, but let's face it…that's where it comes from.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
It's not about trying to breed out people with mental illness. I'm no antinatalist. It's more about recognizing any potential undue suffering for someone that didn't ask to be here.

The reason why i struggle with this thinking is because kids are going to be brought into the world anyway by other people having kids. And in some cases, those kids aren't going to have the best parents or upbringing.

Those people that have struggled and that have enough compassion to take their kid's challenges seriously are more likely, in my opinion, to be better parents and care for their child in a way that enriches their life. That might not always be true, but I think broadly speaking being compassionate leads to better parenting.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that no matter what we do, kids are going to be born that didn't ask to be here. But if people who would've been good, compassionate parents opt out of being parents because they're worried about their kid's genetics, we just potentially reduce the percentage of kids having good upbringings and quality of life.

Adoption is another option of course though and perhaps the best one in these kind of cases.