kowhite

May 14, 2019
Yes they're better. If they didn't exist, these movies would still be excellent. But they're better.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Always a bit confused seeing so much love for FOTR EE these days. People always appreciated some additional scenes, but for years the theatrical version has been considered as having some of the best pacing. EE ruins that for that movie in particular, imo. I actually liked FOTR the least for years because I kept watching the EE, and I always fell asleep. Watched the TE for the first time since 2002 a couple years back, and I was wide awake the whole time. The pacing is waaaaay better, and I finally understood why FOTR was so loved compared to the other two. For me, it might have went from my least favorite to most favorite by dropping the EE, lol.

TT EE is way better, imo. Neutral on ROTK TE vs EE

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Monkey's paw cinema. Each EE adds one scene that, once you see it, becomes totally essential to the viewing, and a bunch of bog dreck that drags down and needlessly extends the experience

I have managed to rehabilitate myself out of the TT and RotK EEs, I hope to no longer need the gifts scene in FotR someday. Someday.

edit: surprised it's not been mentioned yet, but don't forget: Peter Jackson considers the theatrical releases of all three films to be the definitive cuts. He's right.

This is it for me. There are a few scenes that I love and definitely add to the films but overall the EE are definitely worse overall.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I like watching the EE films over two nights. Usually about two hours per viewing. Makes for a less exhausting viewing. The EE are better than the theatrical versions but it's like 9.5/10 vs a 10/10

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Extended it's a better experience, but the theatrical are better movies.

And the reason is the editing. It's insane how well edited the original movies are.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
One of the few regrets I have is not being a fiction reader as a child. As an adult, I have not be able to read fiction and enjoy it. I can read non-fiction just fine but even then, I can't remember the last time I finished a book.

If you love the movies give it a shot. His style isn't for everyone and they are quite beefy books but I love them.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The Extended Editions are more complete and fill in the story better. But the Theatrical Editions I think in some places are slightly better in terms of editing and dramatic tension. They both are valuable for different reasons.

Sarvijoki

Jan 6, 2019
Theatricals are far better films. Pacing is flawless. The vast vast majority of scenes added in the extended editions, were cut for a reason.

They're neat to watch when you just want "more" lotr, but as a film experience, avoid.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
I don't think I've seen the theatrical cuts since they came out in theaters 20 plus years ago. My son and I have watched the EEs yearly for the past God knows how many years. We split them into 6 movies over two weekends, though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
ROTK Extended is so much worse if only for ruining the suspense of the recruitment of the undead army.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
ROTK Extended is so much worse if only for ruining the suspense of the recruitment of the undead army.
This so much. I really dislike the ROTK EE because of this. It also doesn't help that the special effects with the skulls are so laughably bad, then it ruins any suspense for later in the movie.

Really I don't like the EE of any of the movies all that much, I guess the Two Towers EE was at least okay. The Fellowship of the Ring EE ruined the pacing of the movie and didn't really add much to it. I think the best way to experience the movies is to find fan edits that add back in some of the EE scenes but not all of them (I think it was the Kerr/Hal9000 cut?). Like the beginning of the ROTK EE is much better than the theatrical edition due to wrapping up Saruman's story, but after that section I mostly prefer the theatrical edition. Another stupid scene that didn't happen in the books is that the Witch King breaks Gandalf's staff in the EE, yet Gandalf is seen with his staff at the end of the movie?

Last edited:

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I feel like EE is mainly for fans on a rewatch. If my partner wanted to watch the LOTR movies (she hasn't), we'd watch theatrical

The next level of fan will then decide which version for third and subsequent watches, but we aren't all there

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I was seriously disappointed in the extened editions after hearing praise everywhere. Thought their pacing downright sucked and almost all additional scenes did little for me.

Theatrical any day of the week.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Can't ever go back from the EEs. I love all of the extra scenes too much to not want to see them.

Same thing with The Hobbit trilogy, the BoFA in particular. It's the only way to know what happens to the Arkenstone, one of the key pieces of the plot. That and Thorin's funeral not being part of the theatrical cut is worse than Saruman not being in RoTK.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Extended Editions are much WORSE movies. Thank fucking god for editing.

I can only watch Extended Edition scenes on YouTube, trying to watch it as movies is fucking rough.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Theatrical Fellowship is the best of the series. I love the EEs for when I have a lot of time and just want to live in that world, but Fellowship was a perfect film and the EE hurts the pacing.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I don't mind them, there's a lot of good stuff added, but every time I've rewatched the movies I still find myself preferring the theatrical cuts, they just move so much better. FOTR/TTT EE at least still mostly work but ROTK EE is the only one that fully breaks down for me, not only destroying any notion of pacing but going so far down the rabbit hole that I feel myself actively not caring about some of the additional scenes.

They absolutely still mean a lot to me, though. The EE DVDs coming out in the summer was just as big a part of the entire experience as the next movie every winter. Christ, and the appendices!! GOAT BTS material.

Oct 30, 2017
Having rewatched them recently, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like them. Fellowship is alright, because you don't feel it in that movie. TT is a mixed bag. Some things I like, others I don't. RotK imo is definitely worse. It becomes sooo long and none of the scenes are great additions. I hate the Mouth of Sauron especially, because it feels like an SNL skit.

Also, I have to swap discs in the Extended Edition's in the middle. That is really the nail in the coffin. Weirdly I don't mind the Hobbit EEs.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I would never watch theatrical again. It you're watching a beast like LotR, you watch extended. Magical stuff.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Better? Hmm maybe not but they are great if you want more. I've only seen theatrical versions once in cinema so I have no real attachment to them unlike the EE version which I have seen many times now.

Nov 4, 2017
I think the quality is entirely there in the extra content, and the scenes were cut for time rather than not adding to the movies or not living up to the excellence of the overall package

beebop

May 30, 2023
You have the regular versions, then you have the abridged versions for the short attention span.

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the theatrical cuts in like 15 years.

Then again, when I do a rewatch I'm going for the full LOTR experience, pacing be damned. But if I was introducing someone to LOTR who isn't really into fantasy epics, then I would probably dig around my DVD box for the theatrical versions. The EEs especially ROTK are a bit bloated and have some unnecessary fan service (ie. some of Gimili's jokes) that throw off the tone of the movie. So LOTR newbs should always go theatrical first. If they dig the series, then they can go EE and never look back.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I refuse the non-extended FOTR. Recall watching the theatrical and saying "what am I missing?" Feeling underwhelmed. Then the extended I bought for xmas on a whim and loved it

Jan 20, 2024
Gandalf losing to the Witch King kinda ruins RotK EE for me.

Can't even remember the extra scenes in the Two Towers. Or really even FotR.

All in all, the theatrical editions were better edited and had less Jackson-isms. I probably need to rewatch the trilogy.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've only seen Two Towers extended and I think it's a terrible version of the film. It turns it into such a joyless dirge, even if there's that one cool Boromir scene

Sometimes omissions aren't a bad thing if it ends up flowing better. I can't judge the other two one way or the other. I have the 4k box that has both the theatrical and standards so I could watch these other 2 as an exercise at some point I guess

I guess my take is if I wanted unadulterated LOTR I would re-read the actual books, I have these as well. Adaptations should involve some compromise to make them work, and the lack of compromise in the TTT EE makes the film a worse film. As someone said, the additions undercut other things. These are narratives that are supposed to be digestible in single sitting as well, unlike the books which you read in chapters over time

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Ive only ever owned the extended cuts, only ones Ive watched really, aside from seeing the films in theaters first.

I did probably see the theatrical cuts a few more times at friends whilst waiting for the extended versions each year.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The extended cut of Fellowship really improved it over Theatrical, I felt.
The other two cuts are far too long and made me like them even less.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me it goes like this:

Fellowship of the Ring: Extended all day. The additional world building fits perfectly into the story.

Two Towers: Theatrical. The original version is totally fine, but the most of the extra scenes in the Extended version drag and hurts the pacing of the film.

Return of the King: I can go either way. There are a couple of scenes that I feel are necessary to the story, but overall there is a lot added to an already long film. I can understand people sticking with the theatrical here.

Personally I always watch the Extended versions when I revisit the trilogy.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I bought them on DVD but I could barely get through the first one. Then I fell asleep during the second one and never watched them again. Just found it boring. I liked them in the movie theater. Maybe I was tired.

This was me. Watched them all in the theater. Went to watch them again much later and realized I honestly don't care about LotR. I didn't make it halfway through the first movie at home. Haven't seen any of them a second time to this day.

Maybe one day.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really care for the debate as such - the theatricals are what you watch first. If you liked the theatricals (i.e. if you have a functioning brain) you then watch the extended. You likely won't return to the theatricals after watching the extendeds, except to spread the holy texts to all of your friends and family.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fellowship is the only one where I feel the Extended is the definitive version. Two Towers is up and down. ROTK, the theatrical is better.