Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Lol, the downplaying of 60fps continues. Why would anyone want 30fps over 60fps and beyond? Having better framerates is totally better.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
30fps wouldn't be so bad in a game where there's zero camera movement. Like Baba Is You. But those games tend to naturally be able to hit 60 anyways.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Lol, the downplaying of 60fps continues. Why would anyone want 30fps over 60fps and beyond? Having better framerates is totally better.
I don't like how 60 feels. The characters always feel floaty like they're detached from the ground.

I cap everything to 30 on PC because it just feels better to me even if the graphics are already running on max with locked 60

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I wish FF 7R had a 60fps mode.

Camera panning in that game actually made me nauseous more than once, and the color palette on a lot of scenery (particularly in the slums where there are lots of shades of brown) made it very difficult to see things while in motion. I often had to pan, then stop to see things, and repeat until I found whatever object or location I was trying to find. A higher framerate solves that completely because shit won't blur together.

30fps fucking sucks in virtually all occasions.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I play a lot of FPS games. So give me a higher FOV and 60FPS. That is not to say that 30FPS is unplayable.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont mind playing singleplay gamew on 30 fps, but the diff in gfx is to low.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original PS3 release of Bayonetta, if only because it felt like it ended up wallowing down there way more often than not anyway.

/I ran around with the Gaze of Despair a lot.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even the prettiest game looks like a shit at 30 fps as soon as you move the camera, give me 60 fps or give me death.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If you are someone that likes to go back and play games from years past the 30fps games are unfortunate. They will forever feel worse to play than their 60fps couterparts from that era, and they are very likely dated looking on top of it. A lot of the 30fps points make you realize how disposable many people feel games are. They don't care if they are 30 fps because they are never going to play that game again 10 years down the line when it will have aged poorly.

Last edited:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting, driving and competitive multiplayer shooters are the only games that fps matters imho. I'd take every game in genres different then those at 30FPS and look prettier. I barely notice 60FPS anyways. Halo 5 is the immeditate game that jumps to mind for this.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
F-Zero X. I think that is the most blatant case of this. I'm not sure what they've could've done with a 30fps F-Zero game though.

Apr 4, 2019
I would like to see how good Forza Motorsports would look at 30fps
The replays are 30fps. ;) They ramp up the LODs and anti-aliasing etc.

They're certainly held back with the shading while having to target 1080p60 on base Xbox One though.

I suppose you could argue that Forza Horizon 3/4 are what would result with a 30fps target.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, maybe MSFS because I know that my Skylake i5 and RX480 won't get it to a good looking 60fps at 1080p, but otherwise I always prefer smooth gameplay and animations over pretty graphics. Smooth gameplay is a big plus for me, and 30fps makes it hard to go back to the old Battlefield Bad Company games on my Xbox compared to any of the Call of Duty games from that gen

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I mean when you have a game designed around 60 on consoles it's hard to imagine the other way around.

The other question is more interesting I think. Would people like TLOUII at 60 if it looked way worse and had flatter lighting. Knowing also that it will likely get a PS5 version which keeps the PS4 visuals but at 60 fps and greater

I prefer high FPS (60 and greater) but I try and get the system that can do it rather than demand all games be held back to accommodate it as standard in every single game on all platforms forever
If you are someone that likes to go back and play games from years past the 30fps games are unfortunate. They will forever feel worse to play than their 60fps couterparts from that era, and they are very likely dated looking on top of it. A lot of the 30fps points make you realize how disposable many people feel games are. They don't care if they are 30 fps because they are never going to play that game again 10 years down the line when it will have aged poorly.

If those games get remasters or are on PC tho they age much better cause they get the benefit of improved visuals/tech as well as smoother performance due to better hardware.

There's no way something like Snake Eater could have ran at 60 on PS2, that game still looks and feels great to play today in its remastered forms (or emulated)

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If those games get remasters or are on PC tho they age much better cause they get the benefit of improved visuals/tech as well as smoother performance due to better hardware.

There's no way something like Snake Eater could have ran at 60 on PS2, that game still looks and feels great to play today in its remastered forms (or emulated)

The sad reality is that most games are not getting a remaster. So if a game is not also released on PC then it's likely locked in whatever form it was originally released in. There are a huge amount of games still locked on the PS1, PS2 and even on the PS3 forever more.