JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Seeing layoffs, copyright takedowns, misappropriated funds, CEO and C-suite golden parachutes, focus on short-term games at the expense of worker living quality and rights (on top of video game quality), and other wrongs running rampant throughout this industry, it begs the question:

Is there any company in the video game industry that is genuinely good?

Larian seems like it's run really well with the right mindset, but that's a single example in a flood of awfulness. There are certifications out there such as B Corp that are a good start, but there doesn't seem to be a single B Corp certified video game publisher (or even developer, though maybe I didn't look thoroughly enough) out there.

Do you have any ideas, Era?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There were never any to begin with. No such thing as a good corporation.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
The stuff you mentioned you can find in any industry. They aren't there to be good they're there to make money, basically.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Like... Morally?

If you're looking for morally good companies you should ignore entertainment all together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I see Larian and Remedy and I agree with those picks, but surely they can't be the only two.

That just seems dystopian.

goroadachi

Dec 22, 2023
"Morally good company" is pretty oxymoronic, but Nintendo seems mostly alright aside from being way too overprotective of their IPs. Treats and pays employees well, high worker retention, consistently quality products.

Don't think there's much reason to dislike Larian ethier.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
No, the answer is no. Give it enough time and something problematic will pop up in a group.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Don't make heroes of strangers! There are probably good companies because there are a very big number of them and most people are nice. But like everything else they will also have moments of weakness or be taken advantage of by superiors.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What good is a company that can't extract every ounce of labor and value from its workers

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I reckon it's probably safer not to hold any company up as a bastion of goodness or purity. It might be pessimistic but it just feels like that is a surefire way to get disappointed later on.

It was only a few years ago where people were championing CDPR, Naughty Dog and even Rockstar as that.

Lot of shitty business stuff, toxic work environments and abuse in this industry.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Remedy seems like they've got their heads furthest away from their asses.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
Don't ascribe morality to companies. A company exists to make money, generally, and a company is not a person. If a company is incredibly small and privately owned, the owner may have other goals besides growth and making the most money.

Any company that is publicly traded is a corporation and is obligated to make the most money it can, you cannot ascribe morality to this kind of organization. It is an entity which exists for the purpose of growing and making profit.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't think any company big enough can be "good". Some are better than others, but you don't get to be big by being good.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I mean, everyone is gonna have a story and their own threshold. Like is every company that asks employees to work in office considered bad now? Bad management can effect some people not others.

My job is nice and friendly to me, but I regularly end up working nights and weekends due to always being at capacity. But they give us a lot of holidays, benefits and the pay is decent. So * shrug *. It's just a job. I'm not going to bat for their reputation.

It's all a bit more nuanced than you're actually asking for.

The answers you're gonna get are mostly based off online perception of a company they already like rather than anyone's lived experiences.

Last edited:

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Nintendo has exploited contract workers before although they're improving lately. Sony and Microsoft have done layoffs while being exceptionally profitable. So no, I can't think of any corporate level game dev that's "good."

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing layoffs, copyright takedowns, misappropriated funds, CEO and C-suite golden parachutes, focus on short-term games at the expense of worker living quality and rights (on top of video game quality), and other wrongs running rampant throughout this industry, it begs the question:

Is there any company in the video game industry that is genuinely good?

Larian seems like it's run really well with the right mindset, but that's a single example in a flood of awfulness. There are certifications out there such as B Corp that are a good start, but there doesn't seem to be a single B Corp certified video game publisher (or even developer, though maybe I didn't look thoroughly enough) out there.

Do you have any ideas, Era?
This might be the most virtue signaling post of all time?!!?!?!?

"Hey only businesses called companies or corporations that do things I/we don't like...why can't they be like this business that totally is not a company or corporation...that people that frequently post on a videogaming message board of a few thousand people like?"

Do you understand how the word "Larian" totally exposes your argument? People...please go outside and stop basing things based on a few hundred people on Resetera because Resetera is so big and therefore important in the same way any message board in 2024 is important!

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This might be the most virtue signaling post of all time?!!?!?!?

"Hey only businesses called companies or corporations that do things I/we don't like...why can't they be like this business that totally is not a company or corporation...that people that frequently post on a videogaming message board of a few thousand people like?"

Do you understand how the word "Larian" totally exposes your argument? People...please go outside and stop basing things based on a few hundred people on Resetera because Resetera is so big and therefore important in the same way any message board in 2024 is important!
Virtue signaling is a waste of time. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm just genuinely curious.

Also, Larian is over 470 people across 6 studios. Does that not count as a company?
larian.com

Careers - Larian Studios

Larian Studios is a game developer studio located in Gent, Belgium. Proud to be independent for 19 years, we create games for multiple genres and platforms. Thanks to our players, we get to spend our days making the games we love to play. We have a passion for role playing games.
uspto.report

LARIAN STUDIOS - Arrakis NV Trademark Registration

Trademark registration by Arrakis NV for the trademark LARIAN STUDIOS.
trademarks.justia.com

LARIAN STUDIOS Trademark of Arrakis NV - Registration Number 5024910 - Serial Number 86488907 :: Justia Trademarks

(Based on 44(e)) (Based on Use in Commerce) Computer game programs; video game software; (Based on 44(e)) Computer game software and video game software for use on wireless devices; downloadable electronic publications, namely, comic books, graphic novels, strategy guides and manuals for...

Last edited:

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nintendo Japan seems good from what I've seen.
They pay their employees well, and even acknowledge gay couples despite Japan not doing it officially.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Valve maybe? Although I've heard some stories about how the flat management style has led to culture problems.

I don't think there really are any that fully qualify the OP's criteria

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Nintendo is the only big one that has not touched its devs with layoffs in these last bloodbath's years, also I remember insanely good stats for those devs. iirc they moved away from third party testers and hired internal stuff.
Instead of rising prices they raised worker salaries of 10% on top of my head.
Also Larian!
No others come to mind but looking at the indie scene it's surely much much better

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no way to know. Even cute cozy little wholesome indies have had problematic people outed over the years.

Putting any company, even beloved ones, on a pedestal is just going to lead to disappointment.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What does "good company" even mean?

Every single company ever has some jerks working for it if that's your bar

bixente

Jan 27, 2019