• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
211207113434-carhartt-winter-outerwear-lead.jpg

This has got to be one of the more interesting brands. Because it origins is a strictly workwear, big with blue collar types, but then adopted by trendy coastal city kids. Not uncommon with fashion, especially men's fashion. A lot of men's fashion classic were workwear or military in origin--bomber jackets, chino pants, peacoats etc.

Moreover, the price of it has gone up because of that, with the workwear demographic decrying its "hipsterfication".

I do love their stuff myself, but mostly go for vintage pieces. Some have said the quality has gone down too. I don't know since I've haven't bought of any their newer stuff.

GlorpShitto

Feb 6, 2024
I don't own any but I think it's fine. I wear the same thing everyday. Vouri sunday joggers, a forty-five t-shirt and some 350s.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I have some of their socks. They're really well made but yeah, as a working class brand I wonder if they can afford it any more.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a HUGE Filson fan, which is similar (legit workwear made kinda trendy through both time and marketing), and also other similar brands like Red Wing.

But Carhart - credit to them - has stuck a little too closely to their workwear roots for it to feel "stylish" IMO.

But yeah, def popular.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I have a few things from them for work. They're pricy but seem durable enough.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I mostly have the image of it being a skateboarding/extreme sports brand.
Don't own anything from them, but I kinda want their pants.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Maybe for work but I would never wear them in public as casual clothes. Grew up in a farming town so take from that what you will.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Trendy, trying-to-look-utility-but-I'm-still-in-middle-school in my neck of the woods. A person I'm close with said it was one of those things where they wouldn't buy it themselves, but wouldn't be upset if someone gave them a Carhartt thing as a gift.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I've never found the brand particularly interesting. There's a Carhartt store on the high street near me and it all looks a bit played out, cliché at this point. Like you say, "hypsterfication"'.

I've bought similar-looking workwear style clothes without the branding though.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in the same city as their headquarters. Wore their stuff a lot as outerwear while doing manual/skilled labor and then it was strongly associated with union guys. The name (then) was synonymous with "heavy outdoor work gear". "You wearing your carhartt's today? It's cold as hell outside" etc. One of my family members is actually a model for them lol. When I much later moved to DC and was in social work, one of my buddys in the office (who is black) saw me wearing my standard coveralls during a crazy snowstorm and said "what do you know about Carhartt?" I laughed me ass off haha. Also weird that it's now strongly associated with country white boys.

I still wear my outerwear but not all the random fashion ware they've introduced over the past decade.

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
I've never found the brand particularly interesting. There's a Carhartt store on the high street near me and it all looks a bit played out, cliché at this point. Like you say, "hypsterfication"'.

I've bought similar-looking workwear style clothes without the branding though.
They have always been a hypsterfication brand. Even back to the 90s. Most wore it because it made them look rugged. While those of us that actually worked had similar types of clothing from much more affordable brands.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I've worn Carhartt for a long time now. At work! Didn't realize it was considered "hipster" again, as it was like ... 20 years ago? Everything goes in cycles I guess.

I basically have dressed the same since the '90s. Every once in a while, I'm cool I guess.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I have a tile guy buddy who swears by them, and I had a jacket of theirs years ago that I was a fan of, but I haven't have something of theirs in years and years

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
They have always been a hypsterfication brand. Even back to the 90s. Most wore it because it made them look rugged. While those of us that actually worked had similar types of clothing from much more affordable brands.
Maybe because I'm from the UK. I only really started seeing it like, 10 years ago? But it's one of those brands that everybody seems to wear now.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've worn Carhartt for a long time now. At work! Didn't realize it was considered "hipster" again, as it was like ... 20 years ago? Everything goes in cycles I guess.

I basically have dressed the same since the '90s. Every once in a while, I'm cool I guess.
Yes. Cycles are real lol.

They're big on social media these days.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'm wearing a Carhartt zip up hoodie right now. Bought a couple a few years ago and just like the fit and quality.

I actually was not aware of their acceptance as kind of a hipster brand until last year when I saw a Carhartt billboard in Japan of all places. The billboard had absolutely nothing to do with workwear and made it seem like it was supposed to be a fashion brand.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Oh while I'm here. Their customer service is great. I ordered a pair of overalls, which were half off. They sent me two. I called and let them know and they told me to keep the extra one.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually was not aware of their acceptance as kind of a hipster brand until last year when I saw a Carhartt billboard in Japan of all places. The billboard had absolutely nothing to do with workwear and made it seem like it was supposed to be a fashion brand.
It was probably Carhartt WIP which is their streetwear/fashion brand.

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
Maybe because I'm from the UK. I only really started seeing it like, 10 years ago?
Carhart was always huge in my area, Midwest, blmost of us found to be overly expensive when other brands held up just as long. If somone wanted to give a gift, or it was on a good sale maybe. Like when Timberlands took off. Hilarious seeing workbooks as fashion trends for people who don't need them.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few but it was for workwear and from ages ago. Never got into the WIP line but I'm a bum with no cred.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
There's always a bit of simple timeless style to industrial workwear.

I don't wear it anymore, but always enjoyed a heavy Dickies button down styled casually.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have a detroit jacket which I find to be quite stylish, also a sweater and a few shirts.

Its a good brand, even if you're like me and work in an office.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I have their beanies and belts, but their newer beanies feel a little more snug around my head than before.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
They were my 'luxury' hipster brand of choice in the early 00s, loved their stuff.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I own a few things of theirs (I really like their t-shirts) but I've only seen them as something that's just a quality brand.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I've worn Carhartt before. It's never been considered workwear over here as far as I'm concerned. I've always seen it as a streetwear adjacent brand.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
One of the weirder fashion Venn diagrams. Racist MAGA fuckheads all the way through high end John Mayer Japanese workwear fetishists. Having spent most of my life living amongst the former, no thank you, I would never ever own anything from the brand.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing is happening to Carhartt that happened to Levis. What once was well-made, affordable clothing for the working class gets co-opted by hipsters which causes prices to rise and quality to drop. Kinds screws over the people that the business was originally built on since they can no longer afford it or, if they can, it doesn't last as long. I used to work with some old farmers and they all preferred Dickies while the Carhartt guys I know are usually hunters.

Oct 27, 2017
100% this. My introduction to the brand in the 90s was through the meanest bullies of my rural high school in a farming community wearing it head to toe. These were boys that wanted to look the part, but weren't doing much more than chewing tobacco between being classes and shouting racist slurs at their classmates. Meanwhile, the kids that actually worked on their parents' farms didn't wear the brand at all..

Today, I see trendy young people with one of their shirts or hats in the big city I live in now and it comes off as someone trying to look like a poser of a poser.

freshair

Nov 21, 2017
I like their beanies as they fit my huge head in a way that doesn't give me tension headaches with other brands. But that's about as fandom as I get with them.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
When I worked at a Super Kroger that was their "name brand" get so I've seen it around for several years. They seem like durable clothes so I guess the price is fine? Like a more expensive Dickies. I don't think I'd ever wear them for fashion purposes unless I was going for a lumbersexual look but I've never been too up to date on what is trending in fashion

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I think I got a few for free because my company offers me 5 free jackets/clothes/etc from a catalog every fiscal year.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Work has given me some and it's pretty nice stuff. I'd probably buy some if I had more money.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
The same thing is happening to Carhartt that happened to Levis. What once was well-made, affordable clothing for the working class gets co-opted by hipsters which causes prices to rise and quality to drop. Kinds screws over the people that the business was originally built on since they can no longer afford it or, if they can, it doesn't last as long. I used to work with some old farmers and they all preferred Dickies while the Carhartt guys I know are usually hunters.

^

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I like their stuff aesthetically, but I just can't bring myself wo wear clothes with visible branding so I don't own a single piece outside some WIP double knees (I know WIP ist actually carhartt so, not even that counts lol)

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
carhartt-brown-carhartt-backpacks-b000027820199-64_600.jpg

I've used this backpack for work for a decade now. Same one. If it ever croaks I'm getting another one exactly like it.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Hipsters love to look like they work manual labor jobs, it's basically a when-not-if for any workwear product to get wrecked by upscale hipster trends

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Carhartt was a must when I lived in Alaska starting in the late 90s, never seen it outside that state for the longest time. Then it was everywhere.

My original coat that was rated for -40F lasted me almost 20 years and I would have kept wearing it but the wife made me get a new one :( Breaking those stiff ass things in takes forever.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I've bought a vintage one and the utility hoodie and I like them, only problem is the detroit jacket sleeves are always too long for me as a shorter person so I may need to do an expensive tailor job, lots of people I see are wearing them now

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wearing Carhartt right now.

Not like the photo in the OP, but my go to Monday / Friday WFH spring/fall outfit is sweats, a tshirt, and either a zip up or flannel, and I'm wearing a flannel overshirt from carhartt. Have a bunch of their knit winter hats, they're good price and very warm.

Picked up these Carhartt boots this winter because my red wing boots are just too heavy duty for wearing every day. Highly recommend esp for the price:

H300cP.png

Living in New England, I wear a decent amount of workwear stuff in the winter time.

Last edited:

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
No, but I've got plenty of friends with ancient Carhartt coats and hoodies, and pretty much all of those have had a decade+ of cigarettes baked into them.

The only one I can think of that's an aesthetic choice is my brother's Carhartt Red Sox hat. Everyone else just wanted warm clothes that wouldn't fall apart for winter work.