• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I wear a large-tall pocket tee pretty much every day. First shirt I've found that fits me nicely and has a good weight to it

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm in Michigan, I feel like my whole life people have just worn and suggested Carhartt for quality work/winter wear. I've got a few hats and socks and such as gifts and my company buys me their jackets for work in the winter, but I'm not particularly fond of them and wouldn't go out of my way to spend my own money on their shit

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Living in New England, I wear a decent amount of workwear stuff in the winter time.
Yeah I feel like if you're anywhere that gets cold and shitty for a good part of the year people just fall into workwear. I'm not going to put something on my feet that get sad and fall apart because I walked through a salty, slushy parking lot.

I noticed that when I moved to a slightly warmer part of New England the amount of people casually around in workwear went down. Might've also been moving away from a more blue-collar area, dunno.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Over a decade ago as a company gift I received a Carhartt winter coat with the company logo stitched on the breast, and it's the best winter coat I've ever owned. It's also likely to be the only piece of Carhartt apparel that I'll ever own, as Dickies is more affordable and readily available.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Carhartts were worn exclusively by the racist redneck clique back in my high school, so every time I see one of those jackets, I associate it with them.

Oct 30, 2017
Carhartts were worn exclusively by the racist redneck clique back in my high school, so every time I see one of those jackets, I associate it with them.

weird how brand connotations can differ so much around the world (not just this post, this whole thread).

carhartt was popular among skaters when i worked in a UK skate shop more than 20 years ago!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
They're ok. I have a few flame retardant shirts for when I have to go into a petrochemical facility for work, but that's about it. I have more REI and Marmot gear for jackets.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Im a blue collar worker. Worked residential construction for 30+ years. I have had a ton of Carhartt stuff over the years. Its usually pretty durable and lasts a while i find.

I have to say a lot of the guys on site, including myself think its weird to know its somehow become fashion trendy among non blue collar workers. The stuff has got pretty pricey as a result it seems.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I have overall I wore at my previous job and a coat that I still wear. Bought them 20 years ago and they are still in great shape.

I always have a good laugh at the guys that sport the shit like its some kind of fucking fashion statement. I don't wear the shit because I think it looks good son!

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Not them specifically, but I love wearing clothes that hit a sweet spot between fashion and function. In the ENBY space I really vibe with Wildfang. I'm wearing a pair of their short sleeve high waisted coveralls to work today. Double thick on the knees. Plenty of pockets. They help show my developing shape vs hide it, plus I can change up the style with different long sleeve shirts that have sleeve prints.

I also like trousers with tool loops, quite a lot of LL Bean stuff from both sides of the store is in my rotation.

Overalls are like, ENBY uniform so maybe when I wear through the cheap Forever 21 ones I have, I might look into Carhartt

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Carhartt's had their lane in 90's traditional hip-hop fashion too (similar to Timberland) before the rise of the hypebeast.

1*DWvA3XkKVY4Jf971wvuc8w.jpeg

Like any Brooklyn Hipster I own a bunch of their beanies, and their hypebeast focused WIP line has solid shit that's thankfully well made but toned down so you don't feel like the asshole wearing Supreme lettering all over your shit.

Mar 3, 2018
I dont mind people wearing it even if they arent a "blue collar worker" and in trades etc. I have some of their shirts and a toque I wear because they are a little heavier similar to soe of my dickies heavyweight shirts and fit well. Mostly wear them in the spring/fall transitional period where its a little cooler but dont need a jacket and put away my more breathable and thinner tshirts.

And yeah, them becoming trendy isnt something really new. You can find old pics of their stuff being worn for style from decades ago. Personally think it was smart of them as a brand to create the WIP line so that they have a dedicated fashion line with more expensive stuff released through that. For example I can go and buy a carhartt shirt for $20-$30, and they also sell the higher end verion with higher quality material under their WIP line for $50+. Im glad they did that instead of just replacing their regular $20 shirt with a pricier one. Allows for new clients and old customers to be happy without any clashing and pushing one or the other out.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I have a few of their beanies and one light fleece jacket. I don't seek them out for clothes with the exception of the beanies I specifically did search carhartt beanies on amazon.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
All my skaters friends wore Carhartt growing up about 25y ago Now I never see the logo because I live in a lovely warm city lol

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
I just use their lunch box. It's durable and has paid for itself many times over across the year/year and a half that I've had it.
navy-carhartt-backpacks-b000030440199-64_300.jpg

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I wear several of their different pants variations. They fit perfectly and most are 40-60 bucks. I have a few WIP shirts

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly wear Dickies for my job, but I see Carhartt everywhere. Wearing a t-shirt of theirs is fine, but its a little much to be decked out in full work gear casually. You about to haul some logs? Oh, you're just going to Starbucks to work on your essay.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nope. I don't own any of the brand only because it's never crossed my path when looking for outdoor wear. Work wise I just wear jeans and a shirt.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
My loyalty is with Dickies.
UK here; one of the more cool (Probably one of the onyl decent clothes shops unless you want to go to supermarkets but it was cool before we lost eveywhere else) Dickies has been the cool thing to wear. I've got a Dickies belt and beanie (Not so massive on the rest but they are top tier here).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I don't own any of the brand only because it's never crossed my path when looking for outdoor wear. Work wise I just wear jeans and a shirt.
Workwear in this context means clothes designed for manual labor. That style of clothing also has a fashion following in various subcultures, from hipsters to Japanese Americana fans, to skaters, etc.

Last edited:

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
I don't own anything of theirs, but I did buy my wife a nice Carhartt jacket this past winter because it was the only women's jacket that was.... actually a decent jacket.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, their WIP line doesnt really resemble work wear too much. I dont think anyone would actually wear that stuff for actual blue collar work.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Carhartt's had their lane in 90's traditional hip-hop fashion too (similar to Timberland) before the rise of the hypebeast.

1*DWvA3XkKVY4Jf971wvuc8w.jpeg

Like any Brooklyn Hipster I own a bunch of their beanies, and their hypebeast focused WIP line has solid shit that's thankfully well made but toned down so you don't feel like the asshole wearing Supreme lettering all over your shit.

It was still big in metro Detroit hip hop/ streetware in the early 2000s. Everyone had my work jacket!

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
carhartt-brown-carhartt-backpacks-b000027820199-64_600.jpg

I've used this backpack for work for a decade now. Same one. If it ever croaks I'm getting another one exactly like it.
If it croaks, you could probably email them and they'll replace it or fix it for you. Their customer service is over-the-top good, similar to Patagonia.

I like Carhartt but don't own much from them. I do enjoy going to Rural King and seeing a section bigger than my house of nothing but Carhartt gear/clothes.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I quite like their stuff. As someone else said in the UK they were pretty associated with skate wear, and I'm a fan of the Carhartt signature brown colour. I've only got one item in my wardrobe from them and it's a hardy as fuck jacket in their signature brown. Feel like it'll probably last me a life time and I'm extremely fond of it as it was a gift from my wife too

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
They have a store a few blocks from our house. I've bought some of their tees cause I like the heavyweight of the cotton. I didn't realize it was "hip" until after I got em.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I have like a regular long sleeve and beanie lol.

But I also have a Carhartt wip pullover raincoat that's pretty nice.

I recently opted for a filson tin oil Jacket so a Carhartt work coat is out of the picture for awhile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda bitter about workwear being in fashion after catching so much shit for wearing it at an office with no dress code. Many coworkers wore t-shirts and jeans and refusted to bath for f-sake. I worked in a cubicle in a windowless basement office and had zero customer facing duties. I'm a big dude and it was the only stuff in my size that was affordable. I always had some regular sized jackass telling me that I could dress like them (unsolicited by the way) for $X with zero awareness of supply and demand's effect of pricing and availability.

"You can get a pair of jeans on sale for $30" (hint: I can't)

No amount of explaining would make them understand that stores only stock the most popular sizes. No store is gonna buy/make larger size clothing at greater expense then have it sit on the shelf longer. That's why it costs more. Not to mention as bodies get larger the shapes vary more. This is known in women's wear but not mens. They just make the same shit larger, fit be damned. That's why loose fitting work wear is great. You're less concerned about fit and it's durable so you have purchase it less often. You get your money's worth.

I've heard of women who skew towards the smaller size saying that they can get away with childrens' clothing now that we dress them like little adults. As a big guy that's not an option because there is no larger group to cling onto. I've had some of those same braindead coworkers recommend big and tall shops despite being told repeatedly that they have things for people that are big, and they have things for people that are tall, but they have almost nothing for people that are both big and tall. I kept being told that I could get a suit for $200 (despite nobody other than managers wearing suits) but those are effectively just pinstriped trashbags made out of paper towels. I'm serious, those things were transparently thin and shapeless. Then they tried to make me wear custom suits which was out of my budget. I told them if they raised my salary by the cost of a wardrobe filled with custom suits I'd consider it. Those things started at $2k a suit, not counting the shirts, and shoes which are large as well.

DriftDrafs

Apr 13, 2024
I like workware clothing because it is usually more durable than many casualware brands and justifies the price tag. However I find as the brands get more popular they tend to not justify the (increasing) price. Carhartt is a prime example.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I like their stuff. I have a toque [what do americans call them - beanies or something?] and a jacket. It's just another clothing line though

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a jacket that's pretty much identical to Carhartt made by a company called Berne. I've had it for years and use it exclusively in the winter when doing work outside. It's very warm and the material is very tear resistant, which is useful when working on the cars.

Other than that, I do not have any Carhartt or workwear style clothing. I do not see the appeal of wearing workwear as casual clothes.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Their stuff's pretty popular among my fellow rural carriers.

You know, as actual workwear.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
In Portugal, Carhart is kind of a skater brand. I've had a few things and they were really good quality.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Not my style, but a wildly popular brand among some clusters of my genderqueer friends, especially butch masc afab folks. An old carhartt is an exciting find for some of my friends while thrifting

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I wear carhart shirts and long sleeves for work, not to look cool. They are great and hold up under the sun and constant wear.

I also have a big puffy Carhart coat for the rare occasions its sub zero, as that damn thing is too hot to wear in anything warmer lol.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Most of their shit is trash. I did have a pair of the overalls shown in OP and a heavy jacket last about 5 winters before being worn out. When I went to replace them the manufacturing had been moved to Mexico from the US but prices were still hundreds of dollars. I switched brands. Their work pants were always trash that would only last me a few months before being ruined.

Their tees, sweaters, etc. are just the same shit every brand out there makes, so weren't worth a second look. It seems like the brand has found more success by selling to white collar people and college kids.

Oct 27, 2017
I worked on dairy on Vermont during college and wore the stuff, great clothes. After college I worked in stone quarries and the stuff was great for that. I don't wear it much anymore, I think I have a big winter coat of theirs that I wear on the coldest days if I'm going to be out awhile

The only issue I had was that their clothes are pretty heavy, wearing coveralls would wear me out at the end of the day

This was in the mid 90's/early 00's