• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the Champion's Tunic Become the New Default for Link?

• It's Time to Let Old Things Die

Votes: 506 67.4%
  • #NotMyLink

Votes: 245 32.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Games been out for a year to practically universal acclaim. This design has gotten a spot in both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Is this something you'd like to see them stick with in future Zeldas, even though you could wear anything or nothing in BotW.

iu

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I think what it allows them to do is experiment more with the franchise. They know they dont have to follow a specific guide, and can change things up a little more.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly fine with the new design. Though I could see them changing it again.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean they aren't going to stick with that design exactly. But the days of green Link are behind us (at least for Open Air Zelda) Blue will probably be the mainstay. Its great, though. Besides Toon Link he is the best Link we have had. (even then the green tunic is not what makes Toon Link so special)

Can we just get a "create your own Link" going forward?

Female link one way or another.
This. I see no reason to limit Link at this point. Honestly a basic choose your gender, hair color, and eye color would suffice.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's way cooler than the green tunic, and I haven't even played through BOTW yet.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be the one they push until there is a new game where he looks different. Just like TP link was the standard for a while after TP came out

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
I hope not, Green Link is still the base design of the character for everyone I know. It's not broken so don't fix it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope not. The hat and the color green are too iconic to do away with IMO.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Green Link with the iconic hat and tunic will never really go away. I could see Nintendo adapting the design in the same style as Breath in the next installment.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Games been out for a year to practically universal acclaim. This design has gotten a spot in both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Is this something you'd like to see them stick with in future Zeldas, even though you could wear anything or nothing in BotW.
I mean isn't this what they always do? Whenever a new Smash comes out, it usually features the Link from the most recent entry from the Zelda series.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think it's drastic enough of a change to upset people. It looks good and it's obviously still Link. His identity is still intact.
I don't see what the bitching is about.

Nov 4, 2017
I was kind of disappointed that I never transitioned to a classic green tunic in BotW. The current outfit but with a green pallet swap would be a perfect modernisation of the classic green outfit IMO.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope every Zelda game gives Link its own default costume. I'm never not going to associate the blue tunic with BoTW and it's going to be weird if that's what they're sticking to going forward.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Link needed to lose the hat. The green is fine, I guess (though I like the blue better), but the hat just always held Link's design back in a way. I say this as a self-proclaimed Zelda fanboy.

And for what it's worth, if we ever see some sort of Zelda adaptation, losing the hat makes Link instantly more filmable. That hat just does not translate to live-action.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Breath of the Wild Link is the best visual design and the second best (out of a very short list) personality, so yeah, default him away, I say!

In my own observation, his personality comes across between cutscenes and the dialogue choices you can make, and despite having a choice at times, I generally think they more express his disposition to dialogue and other characters rather than offering the player their own input or different personality choices. He feels written with a set personality and the player just gets to choose if he's going to have a snarky or a hesitant response much of the time.

And if I had to define my overall take away about his personality:
he's laser focused on his duty to save Zelda but also knows that there's a lot that's happened to many other people in the world during his slumber and based on player participation, decided that helping them out is part of his duties as well, but due to his focus on Zelda and the big picture/Ganon, he can basically respond to most things as "eh, I have a thing that I'm working on but I'll help I guess" or "wow that's super serious, I'll get on that right away /s." IMO dude is a dedicated fellow with hopes of doing the right thing whenever he can, but ain't afraid to sass back or openly point out how bizarre things can be around him at times.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck no. Link just wearing a blue shirt is lame as hell. If you're going to redesign his iconic outfit at least get creative. The fact they even call a blue shirt armor at all if hilarious to me.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I like both designs, so I'm fine with whatever Nintendo wants to do. I just hope that the fashion aspect of BotW is here to stay. But, I'm fine with either design being the official one that appears on the boxart and everything else. Maybe a slight preference towards Champion's Tunic Link.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think it's drastic enough of a change to upset people. It looks good and it's obviously still Link. His identity is still intact.
I don't see what the bitching is about.
You'd be surprised. Era gonna Era.

Link is a character, not an avatar. I'm all for a female Link, but none of this character creator stuff.
Kind of where I'm at.

I'll gladly take a female Link and actively hope for it, custom tho ... eh ...

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Green tunic Link will probably always be the standard design in some form. Otherwise I expect that they will continue changing it up as they always have.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I hope every Zelda game gives Link its own default costume. I'm never not going to associate the blue tunic with BoTW and it's going to be weird if that's what they're sticking to going forward.
I doubt they'll reuse the Champions Tunic. If anything they'll keep the color blue, though. Them dropping the green was a choice based on color theory no doubt.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really mind the tunic, but the hat was starting to show its age. In 2D it made sense, but it's been a bit silly looking since the series went 3D (with the possible exception of WW).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been ready. (Although I'm sure the classic green tunic will still serve as alternate costumes and such.)

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt the next Zelda will revolve around the champions storyline, so the champions shirt will be irrelevant. I'm okay with the green tunic being saved for endgame, though.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I doubt they will use that design for future games, at this point I expect different designs for every game but it won't matter anyways because in game I expect them to continue with BOTW's RPG elements so a great number of armors are here to stay.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. Link just wearing a blue shirt is lame as hell. If you're going to redesign his iconic outfit at least get creative. The fact they even call a blue shirt armor at all if hilarious to me.
It's REALLY REALLY REALLY light armor.

I doubt the next Zelda will revolve around the champions storyline, so the champions shirt will be irrelevant. I'm okay with the green tunic being saved for endgame, though.
It doesn't have to be a Champion's Tunic specifically, the point is, a blue variation of that tunic being the main outfit going forward is what I believe they're transitioning toward. So say when the next 2D Zelda is unveiled. I'm expecting blue.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
No. Though I wouldnt mind, botw's design was a no pun intended "Breath" of fresh air :p

Green Tunic link will always play a major role in the series and I expect them to keep it on young link and toon link on Smash while Adult Link will be BotW costume.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
At the very least, assuming that future games have the same equipment system as BOTW, I think that they should make Link's classic look easier to obtain.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I mean they aren't going to stick with that design exactly. But the days of green Link are behind us (at least for Open Air Zelda) Blue will probably be the mainstay. Its great, though. Besides Toon Link he is the best Link we have had. (even then the green tunic is not what makes Toon Link so special)

This. I see no reason to limit Link at this point. Honestly a basic choose your gender, hair color, and eye color would suffice.
Fuck that, Zelda needs to be playable first.