gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
Had to get this to mess around a bit. The foliage is probably the best thing about it visually and it actually doesn't have to big of a performance penalty. It's around 10% on a 4090. So considering that I would say the game currently underperforms when looking at the visuals apart from the foliage. Lumen can be pretty unstable, texture work seems to be average and the shadows seem to update at a low refresh rate. Lots of work to still be done but I think the devs can get there if they put in the effort.

One thing I will say is that frame generation feels very responsive in this compared to some other titles. 40fps frame-gen'd up to 70-80fps actually felt good even using a mouse. UE5 seems to work great in that regard compared to some other recent titles.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this but they have to fix the crashing. Sometimes I can play for about an hour other times I crash every 5 mins. Tried all the little "fixes" and nothing works. Frustrating since I'm watching streams where they never crash. I wonder if it's because I'm doing single-player.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying this but they have to fix the crashing. Sometimes I can play for about an hour other times I crash every 5 mins. Tried all the little "fixes" and nothing works. Frustrating since I'm watching streams where they never crash. I wonder if it's because I'm doing single-player.
Single player in the original had extra bugs and instability vs running on a server, even when playing solo I'd use a dedicated server just to avoid the bugs from the single player mode. Plus offloading some of the work to a second PC will make the game run smoother.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
www.dsogaming.com

NVIDIA RTX 4090 can run ARK: Survival Ascended with 60fps at Native 4K only at Low Settings

ARK: Survival Ascended has numerous visual glitches, some really bad animations, and abysmal performance, even on the NVIDIA RTX 4090.
Is this true? Did anyone try to run at native res? Seems without AI based supersampling, this gen would not survive.
It may be true (not sure, I don't have a 4K screen) but if you're ignoring DLSS Super Resolution and Frame Generation then what do you expect? Plus it's running UE 5.2 so I'm not sure Lumen is currently being hardware accelerated (not sure about this, purely basing this off what I heard from someone else).

Edit: Not saying it shouldn't perform better, just that this was expected based on the original game.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so amazing looking.

I ended up upgrading my PC, Ark was really just an excuse to do it, and I still probably won't be able to play it on close to ultra settings.

If I stick to 1080p I get 60 FPS with med/high.

Shame non of my friends will be able to play this for a long awhile, so its all moot.

Hzoltan969

Oct 26, 2017
The way this game looks is unreal. I just tamed my first pterodactyl, I keep flying around in awe. The lighting, the detail, the view distance - I think this is the first proper showcase for UE5.

Performance is not great, but staying above 60fps at 4k max settings is good enough for me, and I have high hopes that visuals and performance can be further improved with HW Lumen, DLSS 3.5 and other optimizations.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
The way Wildcard has handled this game is so bizarre.
There are a bunch of small QOL improvements to the game that are just hidden away that they just never bothered to mention or anything.

A lot of is stuff from mods or stuff that should have been in ASE, but still.
Its such a strange remaster, and it makes it really hard to want to go back to ASE.

Building is so much better, so much.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The way Wildcard has handled this game is so bizarre.
There are a bunch of small QOL improvements to the game that are just hidden away that they just never bothered to mention or anything.

A lot of is stuff from mods or stuff that should have been in ASE, but still.
Its such a strange remaster, and it makes it really hard to want to go back to ASE.

Building is so much better, so much.
Oh yeah, the building changes alone make me not want to go back to ASE. And the game really is beautiful looking, I sailed around on a raft yesterday just looking at the view while on my way to grab some crystal and I stopped so many times to just take in the scenery.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Messed with this a bit and it runs like ass on high, even with my i9-9900k and 3080. I'm going to have to mess with settings, but I've already had a crash. I know it's early access but damn.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I played some during my lunch, as an ARK player with hundreds of hours, I'm unsure if I will refund or not yet within the two hour window. All of this does come with the caveat that it's an Early Access game, but I also question what the need for some of it as "improvements" even was. That's kind of a rhetorical question as the answer was "Snail Games needs to not go bankrupt.", and also with "the community wanted an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5"

First let's talk about performance. It's BAD. I have a 3080 and i9-9900k, and on high I was barely hitting 30-45 FPS. On Medium I could hit 60 some of the time. I feel like this is a case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Again, I have the question of "who asked for this?", but I think it's more applicable here because it's a remake of a game that's not incredibly old and still quite playable today (other than them taking the official servers down). I would rather have a functioning video game than a super pretty video game. Full stop. I don't get why they had to push graphical boundaries when there was a gameplay loop that people loved. Despite it's issues, ASE had a huge dedicated community that loved the game.

There's some legitimately nice gameplay improvements, such as putting doorways and walls under the same engram and letting you choose between which you want as you place them. That's a good change and I like it. I didn't get to taming anything yet. I do still have the problem of getting blindsided by raptors or troodons in the "easy" area early on, but usually after a few deaths and getting built up a bit, you're well equipped to deal with those.

I haven't gotten far enough to witness this, but I understand there's some "balance" changes that sound questionable to me. One of them is to try to prevent unraidable alpha tribes, is allowing three generators in a very large area. This is mainly so you can't just cover all turret blindspots. The thing is I feel like this is just going to cause base spam rather than the already awful pillar spam we had before from alpha tribes. Some of this is still subject to change, but I feel like some of the attempted changes to the PvP meta aren't great and I'm not sure Wildcard understands how people play PvP.

I'm not sure if I'm reaching for the refund button yet, but I would definitely say think before buying this, or at least if you buy this, decide within two hours if you actually want to keep it.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
The waypoint system is so good.
Its easy to use, and makes such a big difference.

Has anyone noticed there are like so many more Theris?
Its getting kind of annoying lol

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
How do you make the waypoints? I haven't gotten to play that much yet.

Go into the map screen from the inventory screen, or hit M twice really fast, and it pulls up a bigger map.
From there you can set waypoints, hide them, and do related things.
Its super easy, you just double click on the map of where you want it.

You can also dismiss waypoints outside of the map, by hovering your cursor over it, and holding I think R.

You can have so many way points active.
As someone who is bad at directions, and the island looking very samey, its very helpful.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Go into the map screen from the inventory screen, or hit M twice really fast, and it pulls up a bigger map.
From there you can set waypoints, hide them, and do related things.
Its super easy, you just double click on the map of where you want it.

You can also dismiss waypoints outside of the map, by hovering your cursor over it, and holding I think R.

You can have so many way points active.
As someone who is bad at directions, and the island looking very samey, its very helpful.
That seems better than the map markers in the original where you had to press P and type in the coordinates.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still unable to play since I crash so often. Seems like they are focusing on the server side with all these patches. Hope they start cranking out some client fixes soon.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Alright I played some during my lunch, as an ARK player with hundreds of hours, I'm unsure if I will refund or not yet within the two hour window. All of this does come with the caveat that it's an Early Access game, but I also question what the need for some of it as "improvements" even was. That's kind of a rhetorical question as the answer was "Snail Games needs to not go bankrupt.", and also with "the community wanted an upgrade to Unreal Engine 5"

First let's talk about performance. It's BAD. I have a 3080 and i9-9900k, and on high I was barely hitting 30-45 FPS. On Medium I could hit 60 some of the time. I feel like this is a case of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Again, I have the question of "who asked for this?", but I think it's more applicable here because it's a remake of a game that's not incredibly old and still quite playable today (other than them taking the official servers down). I would rather have a functioning video game than a super pretty video game. Full stop. I don't get why they had to push graphical boundaries when there was a gameplay loop that people loved. Despite it's issues, ASE had a huge dedicated community that loved the game.

There's some legitimately nice gameplay improvements, such as putting doorways and walls under the same engram and letting you choose between which you want as you place them. That's a good change and I like it. I didn't get to taming anything yet. I do still have the problem of getting blindsided by raptors or troodons in the "easy" area early on, but usually after a few deaths and getting built up a bit, you're well equipped to deal with those.

I haven't gotten far enough to witness this, but I understand there's some "balance" changes that sound questionable to me. One of them is to try to prevent unraidable alpha tribes, is allowing three generators in a very large area. This is mainly so you can't just cover all turret blindspots. The thing is I feel like this is just going to cause base spam rather than the already awful pillar spam we had before from alpha tribes. Some of this is still subject to change, but I feel like some of the attempted changes to the PvP meta aren't great and I'm not sure Wildcard understands how people play PvP.

I'm not sure if I'm reaching for the refund button yet, but I would definitely say think before buying this, or at least if you buy this, decide within two hours if you actually want to keep it.
Yeah performance is rough right now, good news is it should get much better over time as they upgrade the engine and work on optimizations. They've already massively reduced memory usage on servers and cut down on server crashes, they should start working more on client fixes soon.

I love most of the new changes, the building system and dino AI are much improved. I don't think the old game necessarily NEEDED a graphical upgrade but damn am I enjoying it, it almost feels like a different game. Just the fact that shadows aren't absolutely pitch black anymore, there's no more blinding glare off surfaces that would require me to turn off bloom every time I play (I really want to stress how much I hated this, I refused to build metal and tech bases because the stupid glare), and the MUCH higher view distance so I can see buildings and dinos from much further away already make the upgrade worth it for me. The old game is still around and you can always play single player or unofficial servers if someone wants to keep playing it.

If they can fix the creatures meshing in caves and some of the longstanding bugs with the engine update (especially on Aberration, it was my favorite map but the amount of bugs on there just drove me crazy and made me dread playing on it at times especially the one that made half the screen go black and forced a quit and reload to fix it) then the game will be close to perfection for me.

Edit: I forgot to list a lot of the small changes like holding R to swap ammo for weapons without opening a menu, being able to open ALL shoulder pet inventories without throwing the pet off your shoulder like Sinomacrops have been able to do, wireless electricity/irrigation/crafting, picking up building pieces and having connected pieces go into your inventory instead of breaking, etc... Just so many good changes.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
After being frustrated realizing the "favorite server" function doesn't work at all and having to start over multiple times, I just hopped into single other. All the official servers were laggy and I didn't know the favorite functionality didn't work so I did not take notes on the names of the unofficial servers I played on.

I almost file this game under the Resident Evil 4 remake category of "it's good, but wasn't necessary to begin with", but it definitely does not meet the standard of RE4R in this analogy. There's no doubt improvements to the game, and I have no doubt that it will get better as development progresses. It looks great, but again, I do think it's a bit superfluous. The quality of life changes are more interesting to be though. I really like the way building has changed, having the same type of structure go one after another automatically. Being able to choose style of walls instantly changing to doorways or windows. Once I figured out how it worked, the ping and waypoint systems are amazing. It's nice to click the map instead of eyeballing the coordinates and then being off if the map isn't drawn to scale properly (I know this happened on some maps in the original). In my single player game, I put gather, XP, and tame rates all on 3x. The officials rate is unbearably low IMO. I tamed a Ptreranodon already, but I am not quite level 38 yet for the saddle, but almost there. I haven't found proper metal rocks, so I will be looking for those once I can fly. I am curious to see how different the metal rocks look in this game.

The game is good, no doubt, but I also just raise the (rhetorical) question of "Why?" Why did this need to exist?

Why couldn't this just be ARK II with new content? What even is ARK II if they're developing this at the same time, a different genre?! It's very bizarre, and can partially be chalked up to Snail Games' little financial snafu, but it's still just bizarre.

I have to wonder if back when they initially said the UE5 upgrade was free, if it was going to be simply bringing ASE into UE5 with some improvements, not being a full on remake like ASA is.

Going back to my analogy of the original Resident Evil 4 and the remake, the original was great and there wasn't really anything wrong with it. It didn't NEED a remake. The remake came out and it was quite good, but I consider it an "alternate" take on RE4 where it doesn't replace the original for me, but I like both for different reasons. In ARK, they want to have ASA eventually make ASE obsolete. Hell they're already trying to make that happen now by taking ASE's official servers offline. However there wasn't anything majorly wrong with ASE that only a remake could fix. That's not to say ASE doesn't have problems, as it absolutely does, but they were problems that didn't need to be solved with a full on remake.

I'm past the 2 hour refund window and I am enjoying it enough to keep playing. I had used an extra old PC to host an ASE server a while back with a friend, but I might just back up that server, wipe the drive and create my own ASA server, and if it's viable, maybe even open it up to people on Era via password. We will have to see how well this PC can maintain it.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
They seem hard at work with releasing patches. Seems like every day there's a new patch. Unfortunately, it's all been server-related so they haven't addressed the client crashing issues.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
They seem hard at work with releasing patches. Seems like every day there's a new patch. Unfortunately, it's all been server-related so they haven't addressed the client crashing issues.
Yeah, it's unfortunate to say the least.

There also seem to be very few unofficial servers that are any good out there. I may actually just use an extra PC I have laying around to make my own unofficial. I have used it for an ASE server in the past although it only had two people at a time and was password protected. If people are interested here I might be interested in either opening it up or sharing the password for Era people. I think official servers with their lag and harvest/tame/XP rates are unplayably slow.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
is there any info on when this is out on Xbox? I can see it in the store, but see no clear information on when it will be available (or if it's Gamepass or not)

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to get my PC server running but a few Docker scripts I have seen out there to easily do it I can't make work.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I was flying on my pteranodon near the swamp and I saw something just destroying Paraceratheriums like it was nothing, and it was a flying bug. At first I thought it was a game bug somehow and It was something weird like a huge larger than normal swarm of Meganeura, but I thought about the fact that they were even attacking a Paracer and I was like "what THE FUCK is that?!"

Well I hadn't played ASE since the Rhyniognatha was added...holy fuck this thing.

rhyniognatha.png

This thing is massive too, like almost the size of a Paracer's torso. I didn't go near it, I wasn't looking to fuck around and find out, but I looked up how (or if) you can even tame them. Turns out that you have to find one, kill it, take it's pheromone, put it one of your tames' inventory, feed it to your tame, find a female Rhyniognatha, reduce it's health to 10% and it impregnates that tame, feed your tame the food it requests, and then it dies as the Rhyniognatha is born...what the fuck. I looked at what this thing can carry though: It can carry Paracers without platform saddles. It can carry a Rex, it can even carry a Diplodocus!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I think probably one of the most frustrating things about this game so far has been how few Unofficial servers there are, AND the fact that often when I find a favorite one, it goes down and never comes back or is up and just doesn't work and no one can connect. You might think the answer is "Well just play on officials", but I would rather not as Official rates are slow as all hell. Like unplayably slow IMO.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played a bit of ASA but ended up stopping, I've been spoiled by all the mods available for the original game. I just don't think I want to play ASA until I can find something to replicate the functions of S+ (specifically the item gatherers/improved Air Conditioning units) and Dino Storave V2 (specifically the terminals that collect babies automatically when they hatch).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing on a Small Tribes official PvP and I am now reminded why I swore off officials way back when. I have seen some pillar spam (tribes just placing pillars on land they have no plans to build on just to block other people from building on it). I encountered a blocked river... Some jackasses just built 4 rafts and placed them along the width of the river where no other rafts can pass them. Worst of all, there's fucking bases built in an area where metal nodes spawn, blocking the spawns! I could just take my boat down the river, but nope, that's blocked off.

Years ago I played with a group on an official on the Center, and they explored a cave that came out in an area where an alpha tribe blocked it all off with behemoth gates, so they were trapped. They tried to just cut it down with tools, and then remove the guy that would get the last hit from the tribe temporarily to take it down, but of course this did not work as the tribe showed up on a Quetz with rocket launchers and c4 and wiped us off the map.

I get that PvP is literally player vs player, but given that players get started on a server at different times, it's pretty unfair to block off major resources like that. You can't "git gud" when the things you need to even "git gud" are just blocked off.

Anyway I need to pick an unofficial to settle down in as my "main" server. I'm basically looking for the following:

- PvP, ideally small tribes where solo could be viable, but I will take what I can get. Decent server population.
- Good Admin/moderation. Someone that will intervene when a tribe just blocks off resources to be dicks.
- At least 2x harvest/tame/XP rates. Ideally more like 2.5 or 3.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating doing a quick and dirty |OT| for this game, but I honestly do not know how much value that would provide as I know this game doesn't have much of an audience on this site.

Anyway I have an unofficial server I like playing on that's PvP with small tribes, and actually has some moderation that will delete structures blocking common resources such as explorer notes and artifacts. It does highly encourage PvP play though and there's a lot of that. I'm playing as a solo tribe (and apparently there's others on the server too). I don't have a whole lot built and have been living out of my raft base until yesterday when I started building on a small rock in the ocean off the coast. I only have a Stego tamed right now for getting more Narcoberries, but I've been trying to find a good Pteranodon as that's the next step I really need to ideally fly all the way up to where Argents spawn and get one of those. I had a Pteranodon before and then accidentally flew too close to a base I couldn't see in a forest and their turrets disagreed with my argument for living. What sucks is I found a 150 Pteranodon, but then I had that damn bug where sometimes shooting arrows or darts randomly just doesn't count even though you can see it physically hit the enemy. I had the Pteranodon bola'd and was shooting it in the head with Tranq arrows and about half of them did not count. Then it of course got away and I never saw it again.

There's of course the issues of servers lagging all over the place when they get more popular still.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
i'm enjoying the game a lot, but I need to take a break.
The crashes are just too frequent still on single player, If I forgot to save, I end up losing like 10-20 minutes of progress.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing solo on a PvP server that actually does pretty heavily PvP, and I have realized why playing solo there was a bad idea. I finally established a base on land (I had been living out of a boat) and I got on and saw I got raided. I didn't have much to take, but they took everything, but left my tames alive. Even took my argent saddle from my argent.

Anyway I moved to a PvE server. If I ever get a group going though I think I'll go back to that PvP server and get some revenge.

It turns out by yourself it's hard to actually get to the point where your base is fancy enough to have a good defense grid of turrets.

Edward

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The game is out on the XSX tomorrow, November 22. I was able to pre-download it (62 GB) using the Xbox app. My daughter is super excited to play the new game.
Releases today at 9am PST/12pm EST but official servers apparently won't go online for a few hours later to ensure everyone gets a fair start which is crazy to me considering PC has had a head start and PS5 is delayed.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Releases today at 9am PST/12pm EST but official servers apparently won't go online for a few hours later to ensure everyone gets a fair start which is crazy to me considering PC has had a head start and PS5 is delayed.

Delayed till December and I hope this won't mean canned like the original PS5 version maxed out: supposed to release during the same month of XSX thend elayed a month then delayed forever.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my new RAM in from an RMA...would anyone be interested in joining a PvE server on PC once I get it set up? I'd likely have to limit it to maybe 10 or 20 people since I only have 16GB of RAM and this is an old PC. I haven't tried running the thing yet.

Delayed till December and I hope this won't mean canned like the original PS5 version maxed out: supposed to release during the same month of XSX thend elayed a month then delayed forever.
Wait they delayed the Xbox version AGAIN and it was originally supposed to come out today?!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Finally got my new RAM in from an RMA...would anyone be interested in joining a PvE server on PC once I get it set up? I'd likely have to limit it to maybe 10 or 20 people since I only have 16GB of RAM and this is an old PC. I haven't tried running the thing yet.

Wait they delayed the Xbox version AGAIN and it was originally supposed to come out today?!
No, xbox is coming out today

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

No, I was talking about PS5 version delayed till December. Same dƩjƠ vu of the original version for the same platform.

View: https://twitter.com/survivetheark/status/1726750222817394714

I don't care for any delay tbh, the later the better. I hope then end up releasing both consoel versions by migrating them to UE5.3 for better performance. If it was for me, I wold even wait till UE5.4 to get HWRT and Lumen at 60 FPS.

Helmhold

Dec 7, 2022
Anyone playing this on xbox? if so how is the performance? Also does anyone know if this is a Play Anywhere title like the OG version? I can't find any up-to-date info regarding it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

I have a PvE server I'm running that people from here can play on if they would like. It's a PC version. I have no idea how crossplay works and how I would even open it up for that. I'm just hosting this off an extra machine right now (fuck ever giving Nitrado a dime). I set the player limit to 20 (but it strangely says 70 for some reason), and we'll see how it holds up and if I need to lower it. Check below for info on how to join it!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone playing this on xbox? if so how is the performance? Also does anyone know if this is a Play Anywhere title like the OG version? I can't find any up-to-date info regarding it.
Like shit. Lol. This fucking thing has the worst v-sync issues I've ever seen in my life and I played on Xbox 360. I'm gonna refund it and say my nephew downloaded it without my consent.

I can't believe they nuked Survival Evolved for this

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Like shit. Lol. This fucking thing has the worst v-sync issues I've ever seen in my life and I played on Xbox 360. I'm gonna refund it and say my nephew downloaded it without my consent.

I can't believe they nuked Survival Evolved for this
I don't blame you. I file this under the category of the Resident Evil 4 remake: unnecessary, but still good. The difference though is that RE4 was one of the GOAT and the remake was great, but didn't really replace the original. I consider it basically the "alternate" RE4. ASA is trying to replace the original.

You can thank Snail Games and their poor financial management though. That's the reason ASA even exists (and honestly I wonder if it's the reason ARK II exists too).

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I don't blame you. I file this under the category of the Resident Evil 4 remake: unnecessary, but still good. The difference though is that RE4 was one of the GOAT and the remake was great, but didn't really replace the original. I consider it basically the "alternate" RE4. ASA is trying to replace the original.

You can thank Snail Games and their poor financial management though. That's the reason ASA even exists (and honestly I wonder if it's the reason ARK II exists too).
It's crazy because Ark actually ran well for once on console too. And yeah, I don't know what Snail thinks they can get revenue wise for mods from the console side to justify this.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy because Ark actually ran well for once on console too. And yeah, I don't know what Snail thinks they can get revenue wise for mods from the console side to justify this.
Apparently enough because it's sold well enough. The reason they did it is because Snail Games was trying to keep from going bankrupt after their CEO invested a ton of money into a failing electric car startup. They also took a loan from Nitrado in exchange for making Nitrado the exclusive provider for ASA servers.

When ASA originally released on PC, they had it where you could only self-host one (as in from your own PC at home) server at a time since it was per Steam account. They backtracked on this and allow you to self-host as many servers as you want. I am guessing refund requests spooked them. The whole thing was an attempt to funnel everyone to renting Nitrado servers.