• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was a really cool story. For those that don't know, Arma is a milsim series that tries to put an emphasis on realistic military conflict, and as development around Arma 3 stopped in an official sense, the developers at Bohemia Interactive started a program where the community can make third party DLC in association with them to sell on Steam. On such team, Savage Game Design, made the Vietnam era DLC titled S.O.G. Prairie Fire, taking into account the historical accounts of those involved in the Vietnam War who consulted on the project. Five months before the DLC was officially announced, in January 2021, the developers sent a package making a case for Colonel Paris Davis for his service during the Vietnam War: he was previously nominated twice in the 1960s but both applications were lost. Christopher Miller, then-acting Secretary of Defense when this request was sent to him, gave the go ahead on one of his last days in office to approve of the nomination package, and was finally given the Medal of Honor yesterday, March 3rd, 2023.

You can take the time to look at the nomination package here. I'll also include a documentary from the DLC developers with Colonel Davis as well as the Medal of Honor presentation itself. I think it's a really interesting story how a team of game developers wanted to give someone his proper commendations after working on a project that made it clear to those involved he truly deserved the medal he should have gotten almost 60 years ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRi0TsUjwY&ab_channel=SavageGameDesign

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-hnPbifMQ&ab_channel=C-SPAN

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean I don't really want to be a edgelord or something but I really don't care that the military simulation got someone fighting a grotesque imperialist war a medal.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I don't really want to be a edgelord or something but I really don't care that the military simulation got someone fighting a grotesque imperialist war a medal.
The thing is that the army "lost" his applications because he's black. It matters here because racism got in the way of him receiving what he deserved for his actions.and you get benefits for having that medal

I had to search on Google to find the full story

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The thing is that the army "lost" his applications because he's black. It matters here because racism got in the way of him receiving what he deserved for his actions.and you get benefits for having that medal

This post absolutely has the energy of the BLM bomber meme:

Em6BtY4UwAUsbif.jpg

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty wild story. Glad he finally was recognized.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Does that really matter? He was a commander and led an attack on a base that killed 100+ people. The medal is for killing even more people after a retaliation from the viet cong afterwards. I'm not losing sleeping over an imperialist lap dog missing out on some "benefits"

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

He still killed a lot of people in a war that should've never existed. I don't really care about his identity in this case. It sucks if he suffered from racism in the army, but you know what sucks even more? To have foreign soldiers devastating your country and killing your people in the name of a proxy war.

Like, I don't have any strong particular opinions about this particular individual because why should I, but I couldn't care less about him getting honored nor the benefits he gets from the medal.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the replies...

"Racism is bad, but it's really okay when it's related to something I don't like"

Davis was 26 when, on June 18, 1965, he twice disobeyed an order to abandon his team and the battlefield during a burst of enemy fire. An injured Davis, as several news organizations have reported over the years, refused to leave behind his fellow soldiers. He ultimately rescued each member of his team, according to the Army Times.

( https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2023/03/03/paris-davis-vietnam-presidential-medal/ )

But, yeah, deny him recognition.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, say what the fuck ever you want about the war, this guy saved his guys' lives. Give him his shit.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i think context is important here. hes getting a reward for saving his crew not having having a top tier kill record or having a legendary dogfight or something

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Tough on medals, tough on the causes of medals.
We should be able to work this one out together.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well done to the developers, Col. Davis was clearly deserving of that prestigious award.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
i think context is important here. hes getting a reward for saving his crew not having having a top tier kill record or having a legendary dogfight or something

Exactly. I think its worth noting his selfless actions even if the war at large was a cruel and unjust war. Multiple things can be true here. The war was awful and we shouldn't have been there but also this man saved the lives of his comrades and that's worth noting.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Peak smooth-brained era out in full force this weekend.

Glad he got the recognition for his actions