• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Only AC4 and For Answer had you zipping around in crazy speed.

The classic title (AC1,2,3, Nexus, Last Raven) are far slower and more methodical. I would say these are slightly faster than Bloodborne.

I'm guessing/hoping ACVI would be somewhere in between classic title and AC4/fA in term of speed.

Those two were the ones directed by Miyazaki though, so I'm assuming he prefers that style instead over slower and methodical.

But yeah, hoping for the same.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get Character Creation for our Pilot.
Not for the Field, were it will be ACs only of course, but for walking around the base etc between missions so that we can get a real sense of scale for things etc. Walking into the Hangar and upgrading our AC etc.
Basically everything that typically happened in Menus in the Past like Mission Briefings etc.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else viscerally turned off by intense mecha designs ?

Its one of those things the sight of which automatically makes me uninterested.

But then again with FROM you gotta give em a chance.
I can barely fathom deciding to come into a Armored Core ...*checks iteration*... SIX thread to post this of all things.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still surprised that this is aiming 2023. I guess it was developed in parallel with Elden Ring?

Yup, it has been in deelopment for a long time, since 2016.

kotaku.com

Miyazaki Gives Clear Answers On The Future Of Dark Souls, Armored Core

During a recent round table at Namco Bandai headquarters in Tokyo, I asked From Software’s Hidetaka Miyazaki about the future of Dark Souls, as well as what else the studio is working on. The good news is yes, a new Armored Core is coming. The bad news is that, at least for the foreseeable...

6 months ago Miyazaki said it was in the final stages of development.

www.gematsu.com

FromSoftware – unannounced title in the final stages of development, next title directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki underway

4Gamer.net has published a new interview with FromSoftware president and Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki, who reveals that the unannounced title remaining from the publication’s 2018 in…

Deleted member 119070

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Well they have at the very least 2 teams, Sekiro team is doing this as far as I know

It was finishing up dev earlier this year, it's been well on its way to being done.

kotaku.com

During a recent round table at Namco Bandai headquarters in Tokyo, I asked From Software’s Hidetaka Miyazaki about the future of Dark Souls, as well as what else the studio is working on. The good news is yes, a new Armored Core is coming. The bad news is that, at least for the foreseeable...

www.gematsu.com

FromSoftware – unannounced title in the final stages of development, next title directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki underway

4Gamer.net has published a new interview with FromSoftware president and Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki, who reveals that the unannounced title remaining from the publication’s 2018 in…
I see, thanks! I'm so excited
1x.webp

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can't wait to see gameplay! And I wonder what release frame they are aiming at. Sekiro and Elden Ring were early in the year but also had more gameplay available at this point in time.

Duv

Mar 2, 2021
I really hope we get Character Creation for our Pilot.
Not for the Field, were it will be ACs only of course, but for walking around the base etc between missions so that we can get a real sense of scale for things etc. Walking into the Hangar and upgrading our AC etc.
Basically everything that typically happened in Menus in the Past like Mission Briefings etc.
Thats one thing I wish for aswell.
I'm very open to anything they'll give us gameplay-wise, since I trust in FS and Yamamura especially, but I'm watching some AC4/5 walkthroughs and I cannot spot any human characters, and that's the only thing that turns me off a little.
Judging by the trailer and the game description it seems this game will give more importance to its storytelling, and I need to see faces to get involved in that tbh lol.
Dunno if it's a blasphemous thing to wish for, what do you diehard AC fans think?

JMS

Jul 22, 2022

www.gematsu.com

You see it releasing early or late 2023? Q1-Q2 ER DLC, Q3 AC?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very open to anything they'll give us gameplay-wise, since I trust in FS and Yamamura especially, but I'm watching some AC4/5 walkthroughs and I cannot spot any human characters, and that's the only thing that turns me off a little.
Judging by the trailer and the game description it seems this game will give more importance to its storytelling, and I need to see faces to get involved in that tbh lol.
Dunno if it's a blasphemous thing to wish for, what do you diehard AC fans think?
I think it is just weird to need an avatar on screen on consider someone a character. Even just having only played 4 and 4A, the games had plenty of very human characters despite there only ever being hardware on the screen.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Completely doable with their current character creators. I also want something done similar to DxM where you can walk around an interactable garage area. Some of the best Armored Core cinematics feature soldier-level views of AC's and its terrifying. There is a lot of character in AC games, and it could potentially connect you more intimately with hireable wingmen which was a feature in some of the AC3 line games.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I hope to god we do not get human characters. In all the AC games we are a faceless merc doing the bidding of the highest paid corporation. We are not good guys. You are just some rando pilot in a big robot. I like the coldness of it all. AC universe has always been bleak, I would dare say bleaker than the Soul series considering how some of the games end; looking at you For Answer!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Those two were the ones directed by Miyazaki though, so I'm assuming he prefers that style instead over slower and methodical.

But yeah, hoping for the same.

That was like more than a decade ago tho, before Demon Souls and before his ascension to jesus From boss.

But yes, finger crossed they dial down the speed, especially if they want to go with mission with more proper level design.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching videos of AC4 and 5 and my god, we really went through a whole gen of practically monochrome brown and gray games, didn't we?

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
I've watched more videos about past AC games now than any other upcoming game, this is the power of From. From what I can gather, the learning curve will be steep and, like with the OG Demon's Souls, that will make it all the more memorable.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know how seeing pilots enhances the experience at all, tbh, especially when the mechs will be more interesting visually.

I've watched more videos about past AC games now than any other upcoming game, this is the power of From. From what I can gather, the learning curve will be steep and, like with the OG Demon's Souls, that will make it all the more memorable.
I don't even think it's a steep learning curve as such, it's more the fact that it's a very niche genre. They're hard games for sure, but it's a different style of difficult to approach than the Souls 'just a very obtuse and difficult action RPG' style. Like if you look past Souls games difficulty and inherent vagueness, gameplay wise you're left with a fairly run of the mill video game; with AC, you have robot tuning simulator and mech combat which is mainly a shooter unlike most other shooters.

There'll obviously be a load of newcomers who'll love it, but I think for a lot of people, overcoming a difficult Souls game is easier than trying to get into a genre as unwelcoming as this.

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Yep pretty much. It's all about the long game and short game is for going in for the kill maybe they improve the short game a bit so that's prob at most I see it change a little bit.

Man it's so good.
Here are some HQ screens. Insane how well they conveyed the themes in the CGI.
002.webp

003.webp

004.webp

006.webp

007.webp

011.webp

012.webp

013.webp

015.webp

Ohhhhh, Elden Core. Excellent grabs. Thanks, mate!

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
From what little I played of Daemon X Machina's demo, I bounced off the human avatars and dialog of that game hard. Like I wanted a story out of the game's missions, and I wouldn't be opposed to an anime-esque story all things considered, but I didn't want Star Fox-tier dialog and banter coming from them during gameplay either. The premise AC games have as a lone mercenary taking jobs for governments and corporations oddly sounds more appealing, even if it's lighter on narrative comparatively.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
To add to the above ^ here's what Omnipotent said to me in detail, he asked me to post this on his behalf (since he left Era a while back):

Omnipotent said:
While I have no plan to boost into the fire(s of Rubicon) any time soon (so please don't see this as a herald of my return). I felt compelled to weigh in on what I can already see brewing, dispel some misconceptions and set expectations accordingly.

Long story short for those uninterested in my usual long winded explanations: No this is not "Armored Souls", Armored Core VI is not a "Souls" game, it's an Armored Core game through and through, end of discussion.

For those who are interested on my full thoughts on the matter:

As someone who's been an avid fan and playing Souls games since near the beginning (so over a decade now) and has managed to achieve the position they have in said time I feel like I'm well versed enough to speak with some degree of authority on what is or isn't a Souls game. Which I'm starting to feel like is a valuable discussion to have right now considering how quickly nebulous that term is becoming as well as the future of the company that should be quickly becoming apparent.

I'm going to start with saying that the core gameplay elements that define a "Souls" game are the following, with this list being based upon the major gameplay elements shared across all "souls" games:

• 3rd person, ground based, Combat focused Action RPG
  • Melee/magic based combat
  • Classless, non rigid character building
  • "Free" exploration
  • Dodging/evading being a core combat element
  • PvP/CO-OP, Asynchronus Multiplayer
  • Lack of difficulty settings
  • Character creator
  • Currency gained through combat encounters that is used for both spending on items as well as leveling your character
I'm not going to go so far as to say that every future Souls game needs to rigidly adhere to these confines exactly like their predecessors, but I'd say these are the defining, objectively quantifiable elements that are consistent across all Souls games and are core to their design that make them standout amongst their peers while still maintaining a sense of cohesiveness and consistency across all titles that allow them to exist as a "pseudo-series" of sorts. I'd say this consistency is what allows many fans to play all the games across said pseud-series and feel at home despite them all having their own individual design quirks and being from a multitude of different IP.

You could argue there are other elements such as difficulty, tone, lore, presentation, but for the sake of clearly defining a game "genre" around its gameplay design (given the medium and how you interface with said medium) I've opted to leave those out, either because they're more abstract or not really gameplay related and thus I'd argue less integral to classification in this particular context.

The more things you pull from this list the less of a "Souls game" it is, and at a certain point I'd say it's just not a Souls game at all. Given that Sekiro lacks the RPG elements, a character creator, non rigid character building, Magic based combat, PvP/Co-Op and the traditional currency system I would argue that it's not a Souls game even if it shares some similar design elements and DNA because it's now made several major departures from the traditional core of every other Souls game.

Which brings us to this current Armored "Souls" debate. A lot of the reasons I see people attempting to advocate for why Armored Core 6 is a "Souls" game seems to have little grounding in the design elements that are specific to Souls games and moreso based on a lack of familiarity with the franchise and Fromsoft's design language pre-Souls and trying to arbitrarily tie the two together as a result.

If you go far back enough you can make an argument that any mammal is technically related to any other mammal and you can see similarities between the skeleton of a dolphin and that of a bear, but you inherently know that they're distinct enough entities in both form and function that there's no real point in trying to fit the two into the same box beyond confirming shared lineage…somewhere. They're both mammals sure, but that alone doesn't make a dolphin a bear and visa versa.

Fromsoft (and really many if not any artistic individuals or collectives, be they videogame studios, bands, whatever) are going to have certain staples in how they create and design things as a result of honing certain skills and preferences across their time as artists.

Just because there are stylistic similarities between their works does not mean that all of their works must rigidly fall into a singular category. Not every Metallica album is thrash metal even though Thrash Metal is a subgenre Metallica helped pioneer and popularize and even if their other releases share stylistic similarities as a result of being made up of largely the same individuals. Not every mainline Final Fantasy game is what would traditionally be categorized as a "JRPG" despite all being within the same series.

Yes, I know I'm stating what should be obvious, but it seems like a lot of From fans that have entered the fanbase as a result of the Souls games seem to be under the impression that every game From makes either is or must be a Souls game and then working backwards from there. Yes From had a decade in which they rose to notoriety as a result of a consistent string of said releases, but I'd say that was largely due to circumstance rather than intention.

While the game may have elements that are in line with Souls games, that's because those existed in the franchise before Souls did because they're pillars of Fromsoft's design language as a collective. But it'll also have many elements that make it a radical departure from Souls games in it's inherent design and structure as well as the overall and moment to moment gameplay loop that means it might not be to the taste of every Souls fan. Because it's not Armored Souls, it's Armored Core and there's nothing wrong with that. So let us keep our expectations in check

Most artists don't want to release variations of the same piece of art infinitely and From is going to go back to making things other than just Souls games. So perhaps instead of hastily trying to fit it into the (quite honestly, very full) Souls box we can look forward to and appreciate the revival of one of Fromsoft's pillar IPs for what it actually is instead of what "we" want it to be and arguing over whether or not the Dolphin is a bear.

CAPCO-Ahem ARMORED CORE IS BACK and I hope that even those who aren't traditionally fans of mech games or Armored Core will at least be willing to give this one a try.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

kotaku.com

www.gematsu.com

Damn, this might be 4-5 months away then, not too long of a wait. If it his this summer like everything else is...oh boy.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i begin my journey to obtyain the ps3 armored core games, i have 5 already, just need 4, For Awnser and Vertict day

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
At this rate the scavenging shot might not be a part of the game at all lmao

I can respect the series being true to its roots but it kinda hurts to have an element of a game trailer not pan out to be as important as it initially seemed, especially one that contrasted the action so well

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
we'll said Morrigan

Not sure why everyone jumped on the idea that it would be mech souls, and while I would love that too most likely. AC has been a third person shooter since the ps1 so it's best to assume that's what we will get again. Pandering trailer aside.

As an AC loyalist since I was like… 10, I'm hoping it is still AC not ACSouls.

Though looking at the trailer it looks like dash boosting is coming back and if it's like what 4!devolved into I'll get my barf bag ready 😂

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
we'll said Morrigan

Not sure why everyone jumped on the idea that it would be mech souls, and while I would love that too most likely. AC has been a third person shooter since the ps1 so it's best to assume that's what we will get again. Pandering trailer aside.

As an AC loyalist since I was like… 10, I'm hoping it is still AC not ACSouls.
Hey I actually wouldn't mind Armored Souls at all lol. In fact I'd probably prefer it... but I'll likely still give this a chance, because From has one hell of a track record now

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I think a lot of people are mentioning souls like with respect to Armored Core is because of From's press release which mentions combining Armored Core Mecha action with gameplay seen in From's recent action games.

"ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON will offer a game experience based on the mech game know-how FromSoftware cultivated over 25 years of developing games in the series, but now introducing groundbreaking gameplay found in the developer's recent action games. The new ARMORED CORE title will combine these elements into thrilling action that only mechas can provide. The game promises to be a unique entry in the mech action game genre."

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Only mech game I really got into was Chrome Hounds and I hadn't until recently made the connection that FromeSoft made that. I haven't played an AC game but I'll definitely be looking into this one.

Oct 28, 2017
To add to the above ^ here's what Omnipotent said to me in detail, he asked me to post this on his behalf (since he left Era a while back):

This ... Actually makes me think it will be "armored souls" in the way that sekiro is souls-adjacent. He's definitely not dispelling that idea here. Just seems like he's making a semantic argument about how we define a souls game. I sort of fully expect an armored core game with some souls elements now

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This ... Actually makes me think it will be "armored souls" in the way that sekiro is souls-adjacent. He's definitely not dispelling that idea here. Just seems like he's making a semantic argument about how we define a souls game. I sort of fully expect an armored core game with some souls elements now
What more needs to be said "an Armored Core ass Armored Core game"

What is actually going to happen is that core AC mechanics and design are going to be misattributed to Souls lol

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Yeah this is such a long non-answer lol

Oct 28, 2017
What more needs to be said "an Armored Core ass Armored Core game"

What is actually going to happen is that core AC mechanics and design are going to be misattributed to Souls lol

I'm just saying, to me, it sounds more likely to have souls elements now than before I read that. Sekiro shares a lot of elements of souls. So his bringing that game up doesn't convince me that this game won't incorporate more elements of souls than previous armored core games

Dec 18, 2017
It is time, cannot wait.

I used to be a diehard AC fan, played one of them on Ps2 and it was forgettable. With the current hardware I am expecting something amazing.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Streamlined mech building would suck to be quite honest. You are not supposed to be committed to a build like in a souls game, you have the platform to adapt your mech to different missions.

Exactly. Thats why you have so many parts to begin with. There are a ton of parts with sub categories within the same category and later games give you even more granularity with part tuning so you can bring the closest thing you can to the perfect tool for the jobs ahead. The only thing the game really asks of you is to experiment to see what is effective at doing what. Theres usually a test room where you can try out all those combinations at zero cost to you as well. So in that one aspect its user friendly.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I'm just saying, to me, it sounds more likely to have souls elements now than before I read that. Sekiro shares a lot of elements of souls. So his bringing that game up doesn't convince me that this game won't incorporate more elements of souls than previous armored core games

Exactly and again their own press release mentions blending mecha gameplay with From's recent action games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1602127769210523648?t=oi9lfjCO0O9cp4GdTzoNhA&s=09

I spoke to Omnipotent about Armored Core VI. He said it is an "Armored Core-ass Armored Core game" and said, regarding the vague concept of a kind of "Armored Souls" mix of gameplay style/influence: "it's very much not that".

Thanks for the confirmations. It's exactly what I thought.

I honestly don't know how you read all that and got that conclusion. Armored core pre-dates Souls games and the reality is some things that were in AC made it into souls. Things like managing weight, having flexibility in your builds. Etc. It was Miyazakis first perspective in game design. When he got into it. So that's why it's easy to see why they came back to it and also why he's not making an armored souls because he respects what armored core is and what it isn't.