• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the finals, and was disappointed the player using my favorite character lost. Still neat to watch.

What were the rules they went over at the beginning?

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ARMS tournaments are a lot of fun to watch. I really need to get back into this game. Once Splatoon 2 launched I put it on hold and jumping back in I've realized how much I've forgotten about the mechanics and strategy. Really excited to play with the new update and re-learn the game.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I only watched the finals, and was disappointed the player using my favorite character lost. Still neat to watch.

What were the rules they went over at the beginning?

Gotta give it to the guy, though, he did some seriously good dodging! I need to learn from him (fellow Helix user!).

Still, pretty cool to see Byte and Barq at the finals. Weren't they, like, bottom tier?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Double post, but yeah...

Yesterday I did a few ranked matches online against a fella called Moonstar. Kicked my butt a few times. Was fun.

Thing is, he kept using Triblast. Triblast and Tribolt are my weakness! Specially considering I use Helix and, when charged, it's hard to squeeze underneath them. I use the umbrella to try and make up for this weakness of mine.
A friend of mine I play a lot with always uses light ARMS, so she has a hard time dealing with heavy ones.

What's your weakness?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I opened Twitch just now and Arms was playing as a spotlight stream with 3000 viewers. Which is cool to see.

Looking at the Black Friday deals I was a bit disappointed to not see Arms. Nintendo games rarely go on sale, but 1 2 Switch has a few sales. I wish Nintendo would do more to inject life back into the game over the holidays.

EDIT: Yeah, thought I'd play some this morning and while I'm rusty, the game has clearly passed me by. In a room of about 5 players, they took turns kicking my ass. In about a dozen or so matches the only one I won was a Vs. Hedlok fight:( This is why I hoped Nintendo brought new players to the game...

Last edited:

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
What arms do you people use and with which character(s)?

I am using the Sparky, Coolerang, and Kablammer. The first two for aggressive play and the later two for distance play.

I'm a default arms user so my favorite is Byte & Barq with dual Crackers or some combo with the Seekie, but Mechanica with the Homie/Revolver combo is what I've used most in season 3.

What's your weakness?

Pretty much everything. But especially a player who is good with dragon type arms.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I use Helix with Blorb, Umbrella and Thunderbird, usually combining Blorb and Thunderbird.
I also use Lola Pop With Blorb, Funchuk and Slapmander, again, usually combining the first and the latter.

EVAC434

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
New update tomorrow... cannot wait!
Sweet! Game should arrive today. I've bought it to play with family and friends so we can rotate with MK8. Maybe I'll try some online matches as well. Haven't played a fighter since SFIV and I'm quite excited to give it a spin. Is the online community still active?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I play online occasionally and keep facing new players. I think It's doing alright. It could do better. maybe the update Will help In that front.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet! Game should arrive today. I've bought it to play with family and friends so we can rotate with MK8. Maybe I'll try some online matches as well. Haven't played a fighter since SFIV and I'm quite excited to give it a spin. Is the online community still active?

I don't play online that much, but my brother does, and he said community is still there. After the update and for the next days it should be very busy.

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
So the new character is fun. Stances! More weapons that behave differently depending on whether you are grounded or in the air! Poison!

Also, we apparently now have our equivalent of a Splatfest. During Thanksgiving weekend in the U.S. Should be interesting ...

EVAC434

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play online that much, but my brother does, and he said community is still there. After the update and for the next days it should be very busy.
So I got it today and did some training and then I started the casual online mode. I found other players instantly! Most of them were rocking the new character.

Game is tons of fun. Love slipping a punch and counter it with a slam. I think I'll be playing this online way more than I initially thought I would. Game oozes style and the music is so catchy. That theme song sticks!

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
You need to beat Level 7 Grand Prix with every character for it to fill in.
One more achievement in this game that I guess I'll never fill in, lol.

I find it weird and a little funny that the 4.0/Misango thread has significantly more posts now than the whole game's OT, but maybe that's to be expected. I haven't played ARMS myself in quite a while, so I'm thinking I'll try and get back into it later tonight after a bit of Splatoon homework. Is anyone else starting to play more again that's rusty? I'm not exactly looking forward to trying to jump back in after months off and getting my clock absolutely cleaned, lol. Maybe now that I can remap the pro controller buttons to be less awkward for me, Blorbjara will finally rise again!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Sorry if this s off topic but does anyone know a good place to listen to the arms music? After watching the new character trailer I got the itch to listen to the ost but I don't know where a good place to listen to the music would be.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
One more achievement in this game that I guess I'll never fill in, lol.

I find it weird and a little funny that the 4.0/Misango thread has significantly more posts now than the whole game's OT, but maybe that's to be expected. I haven't played ARMS myself in quite a while, so I'm thinking I'll try and get back into it later tonight after a bit of Splatoon homework. Is anyone else starting to play more again that's rusty? I'm not exactly looking forward to trying to jump back in after months off and getting my clock absolutely cleaned, lol. Maybe now that I can remap the pro controller buttons to be less awkward for me, Blorbjara will finally rise again!

I try to post here as much as i can, but not that big of a community, at least here.
Ninjara with blorb? Got blorb tips to share? I move blorb, but It's not an easy arm to use.

Sorry if this s off topic but does anyone know a good place to listen to the arms music? After watching the new character trailer I got the itch to listen to the ost but I don't know where a good place to listen to the music would be.

I saw it around YouTube. But i seldomly look for ost elsewhere.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So apparently one of my friends is best buddies with Resolve. Can anyone help me train so I won't get completely demolished when he comes over for a few sets?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
So apparently one of my friends is best buddies with Resolve. Can anyone help me train so I won't get completely demolished when he comes over for a few sets?
Play something he's not prepared for? Idk.

Maybe learn Misango as fast as possible. Put something weird on him like Guardian. Outside of that I have nothing.

EDIT: Oh you meant online sparring. Can't help you there, my internet is practically 3rd world.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Play something he's not prepared for? Idk.

Maybe learn Misango as fast as possible. Put something weird on him like Guardian. Outside of that I have nothing.

EDIT: Oh you meant online sparring. Can't help you there, my internet is practically 3rd world.
Way ahead of you on that, but I'm still trying to get the right ARMS for him (I got the umbrella & the black normal ARMS, but I need to max them out).

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Was there another tiny little update today or last night? I wonder if they needed to fix something?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I'm still trying to figure out the Misango match up. I just played against a dude that should have beat me but choked at the last minute.

Dude's throw does a bunch of damage. He doesn't look like he should be slamming for more damage than Mechanica. :/

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Thought I'd try out Misango on Party match and the. entire. lobby. was also playing as Misango. I'm part of the problem.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else think this game would benefit from each fighter being locked to 3-4 different ARMS?

I feel like the arms being interchangeable kinda removes some of the specialness from each character. I would think it would also make balancing easier.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Does anyone else think this game would benefit from each fighter being locked to 3-4 different ARMS?

I feel like the arms being interchangeable kinda removes some of the specialness from each character. I would think it would also make balancing easier.

Maybe it would help, but I personally love having so many arms to choose from. Plus, some arms have very specific ways of working. Characters with these would probably be in disadvantage by default. Look at default Helix. Blorb, Ice Dragon and the shield. Not one arm that works normally.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Bought the game thanks to some deal and had a lot of fun with some friends.
It has its trick to get on with it but we know we are barely scratching the surface

How is the online?
Are there like any guides?
How exactly do you change colors?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game thanks to some deal and had a lot of fun with some friends.
It has its trick to get on with it but we know we are barely scratching the surface

How is the online?
Online is still active
Not sure about guides
changing colors, perhaps the dumbest way a game has ever done this, when selecting a character you have to press the joystick and move it in one of the 4 directions then press A. Make sure you're holding the joystick in the direction as you press A.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

Nah, the characters already each have a special ability and traits, not to mention their amazing designs and personalities. That is more than enough specialness. The Arms being interchangeable gives the game its variety.

How is the online?
  • Online is great.
  • The actual help menu in the main menu (at the bottom) is pretty great at giving a bit of info as to what makes each special. Don't know of any specific guides but just experimenting is fun.
  • Change colors by clicking in the left stick and leaning it left, right, or down while selecting your character.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The 4.0 update finally got me to boot the game up again for the first time in a long, long while, as I hadn't played at all since shortly after Max Brass was released. I've barely even got around to Misango at all yet, been more catching up on everything else I've missed in the interim, checking out the new and improved training mode and the badges and monkeying around with control settings. Most recently I've been in Grand Prix again testing out Lola Pop for the first time and it's partly reminding me of why it'd been so long since I last played.

I fucking suck at ARMS.

It's a problem that I run into with really any fighting or other competitive game, like my brain just doesn't quite react to things quickly enough to properly and it leads to lots of mistakes and immediate "Why did I do that? I obviously should have done this instead" moments. It doesn't help that I hit a wall in Grand Prix against Master Mummy, a very common "wall" character for me in this mode back in the day, and playing him with Lola Pop who doesn't really have any ARMS that are very effective against his armor and offense, it's immensely frustrating. Lola in general is kind of weird to figure out, too, the whole air-guard-bounce mechanic doesn't seem too great to me yet for how much it seems to limit your options once you've committed to a first bounce. I dunno.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
The 4.0 update finally got me to boot the game up again for the first time in a long, long while, as I hadn't played at all since shortly after Max Brass was released. I've barely even got around to Misango at all yet, been more catching up on everything else I've missed in the interim, checking out the new and improved training mode and the badges and monkeying around with control settings. Most recently I've been in Grand Prix again testing out Lola Pop for the first time and it's partly reminding me of why it'd been so long since I last played.

I fucking suck at ARMS.

It's a problem that I run into with really any fighting or other competitive game, like my brain just doesn't quite react to things quickly enough to properly and it leads to lots of mistakes and immediate "Why did I do that? I obviously should have done this instead" moments. It doesn't help that I hit a wall in Grand Prix against Master Mummy, a very common "wall" character for me in this mode back in the day, and playing him with Lola Pop who doesn't really have any ARMS that are very effective against his armor and offense, it's immensely frustrating. Lola in general is kind of weird to figure out, too, the whole air-guard-bounce mechanic doesn't seem too great to me yet for how much it seems to limit your options once you've committed to a first bounce. I dunno.

I think Lola's best attribute is her movement options out of the shield. She can bounce to the left/right or do a high jump (apparently second only to Byte and Barq's, and that's only because of Barq's height).

I love the shields, but considering they take away her ability to defend, I think she's one of the worst possible users for them. Try to get some more ARMs for her, preferably a heavy ARM to go along with the other two. Also bear in mind that the Funchuk works different in the floor and in the air. In the air it's very effective at blocking light weapons (looking at you, Triblast and co!). Try it out!

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Doorman, I also think you should mess around with party mode and use the money you get from playing/unlocking badges to unlock some new arms with the ARMS getter. The game really opens up once you have are able to experiment with all the different ARMS and find what works with your play style. Also I recommend only playing the 30 coin mode. The first arm that you get is guaranteed to be for the character that you are playing as, so even if you aren't used to curving the ARMS and you only get a single new arm, you will still make progress on your main character. You will get anywhere from 1-5 ARMS for 30 coins which is not bad. I don't think there is a single character for whom I like their default ARMS load out.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily looking to main Lola by any means, so I haven't wanted to spend a bunch of my money to unlock stuff for her that I might not even wind up using. After the initial flurry of badges and such I think I have around $950 or so that I haven't spent on the ARMS getter yet. That said I've always been one to gravitate toward having at least one heavy option practically regardless of who I've played as, so Lola not having one (and again in the case of fighting Master Mummy, nothing that can really break his super armor) does throw me off. Even so, none of that really accounts for my more macro problems of playing games like this in general. :P

I do wish this game had more of a stream following. It's hard to get any gauge of how higher level players do when Twitch is generally pulling in single-digit viewers and only one person ever seeming to stream it at a time. I wasn't expecting this to turn into Overwatch or Street Fighter but the way the game's presence died almost immediately after release did shock me somewhat.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've been jumping back into ARMS with the updates, and I nearly forgot how much I love the music, production design and characters. So vastly underrated in that regard. I do find that it's a difficult game to put down and get back into; regardless of what setup you're using, the controls are so esoteric that it's going to take you while to get your training wheels back on. Not an entirely bad thing, as I hand it to Nintendo for taking the fighting genre into new territory. And the updates keep making the experience better (loving the badges in particular). Definitely going to log on to the event this week.

But, that learning-curve aspect makes the mandatory mini-games -- especially Skillshot and Hoops -- absolute hell in single-player mode. I have such a good time fighting, but if I haven't played ARMS for a while, I have to repeat these fucking trials 10 times or more just to slog through them, even on Level 3 difficulty. Why are these significantly more difficult than the final fight itself? It's a major buzzkill; I love the fact that the mini-games are there, but I hope a future update allows us to make them optional in single-player.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily looking to main Lola by any means, so I haven't wanted to spend a bunch of my money to unlock stuff for her that I might not even wind up using. After the initial flurry of badges and such I think I have around $950 or so that I haven't spent on the ARMS getter yet. That said I've always been one to gravitate toward having at least one heavy option practically regardless of who I've played as, so Lola not having one (and again in the case of fighting Master Mummy, nothing that can really break his super armor) does throw me off. Even so, none of that really accounts for my more macro problems of playing games like this in general. :P

I do wish this game had more of a stream following. It's hard to get any gauge of how higher level players do when Twitch is generally pulling in single-digit viewers and only one person ever seeming to stream it at a time. I wasn't expecting this to turn into Overwatch or Street Fighter but the way the game's presence died almost immediately after release did shock me somewhat.

Maybe try Mechanica with the Homie and Whammer. She has a ton of mobility on the ground and in the air with her jetpack and can tank hits just as well as Master Mummy. I have seen some Mechanica players dominate using the double Revolvers and just keeping an immense amount of pressure. I like using the Chillerang and Kablammer and looking for openings. The chillerang has a nice curve if you want it to and the hammer will plow through or cancel out anything.

I tried finding a good example of a player using double revolvers and youtube brings up nothing. It really is a damn shame this game didn't take off in as a huge a way as it deserved to.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Maybe try Mechanica with the Homie and Whammer. She has a ton of mobility on the ground and in the air with her jetpack and can tank hits just as well as Master Mummy. I have seen some Mechanica players dominate using the double Revolvers and just keeping an immense amount of pressure. I like using the Chillerang and Kablammer and looking for openings. The chillerang has a nice curve if you want it to and the hammer will plow through or cancel out anything.

I tried finding a good example of a player using double revolvers and youtube brings up nothing. It really is a damn shame this game didn't take off in as a huge a way as it deserved to.

To add to this:

I find hammers to be very effective against characters that jump a lot, like Twintelle and Ribbon Girl.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Still haven't actually beaten GP with Lola Pop yet, but while playing today I finally worked out a few more of her tricks for her mobility and whatnot. Her actions out of guard are nice and not something I would've been able to do prior to the control customization update. I have a better sense now for how people are meant to use her and get good with her. Problem is, again like in most fighting games I'm not good at being a defensive player at all, which is what she seems to really excel at. I'm not against learning her, but it would take time, and different default ARMS.
She has a bit of an issue similar to Helix in that she seems to lack any real conventional ARMS and that makes her trickier to learn/use than normal. The funchuk has the blocking properties and all but it's a bit like the parasol in that it seems to linger close to you before actually flying out, which gives the opponent more time to react and also makes it not very well-suited to counterpunch against the long-travel curving ARMS. Clapback is what it is, and like Rafavert said it doesn't really help Lola very well to have it out for long (and again, curving ARMS can get around it fairly easily) and Biffler is straightforward but somewhat easy to dodge and being a light ARM it's not hard to deflect. In all, with funchuk being stun as well, she doesn't have anything at her disposal to consistently knock down opponents so for all her options I don't think it's too hard for heavy-hitters to just overpower her or the shiftier folks to outspeed and flank her. After finally getting by Master Mummy, Ninjara has been the next big wall. I don't think I've even taken a single round from him after giving it about 4 or 5 attempts.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
One thing that often helps me deal with opponents is changing from an active to a reactive stance. Don't try to attack them. Instead try to react to their attacks and find openings to strike. Heavy ARMS help a lot in this regard since they go over most other ARMS.

I personally use Lola with Funchuk (versatile, helps against light weapons which I usually have a hard time with), Slapmander (for character that dodge a lot) and Blorb (cuz I like it xD). I use a similar setup for Helix, with Thunderbird (dodgers), Parasol (light weapons) and Blorb (again, for fun). I'm also aware that when I combine Thunderbird and Blorb I'm very vulnerable to grabs.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped for the Party Crash mode but it sucks it's not taking place over the weekend like Splatfests. I don't play that much during the week >_>

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So for curiosity's sake, what kind of control setups are people using nowadays? I feel like a lot of variance probably took place once the customization update hit a while back. Ay launch I played almost entirely with motion controls but picking it back up this past week I've been trying to settle on new pro controller setups and it's been an awkward prospect.

First priority, as it was with many I imagine, was getting an alternative for guarding aside from the left stick-click. In my case I also wanted to get dash and jump off of Y and X because for whatever reason I could never wrap my head around using them there.

So for now I leave punching to the shoulder buttons, moved dash and jump to B and A respectively, and set up both X and Y to guard. Especially doing this alongside with Lola Pop I like this for the ability to roll from Y-B or X-A in order to move out of shield immediately. I might swap jump and dash just to keep consistent with "B = jump" across all my regular games, but as it stands I figure I tend to use dash more often so it gets the more centralized button. We'll see.