OP
OP
EarlGreyHot

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.

Not gonna lie...
I remember watching this as a young teen and that scene at the end when the kid's leg joints cracked backwards and he runs away freaked me the fuck out.
Holy shit I remember this! That was wild lol

To cerebral and thought-provoking for my taste. I much prefer ID4

ID4 is on the other side of the spectrum and is the best invasion movie in that regard. So much fun and the special effects still look incredible.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Yep,it's a great great movie.
Nerdwriter did a video about it: (spoilers obviously)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
ID4 is on the other side of the spectrum and is the best invasion movie in that regard. So much fun and the special effects still look incredible.

I loved the original film at release, but the effects of "wonder dog" jumping through the tunnel as it exploded behind him were ridiculous even then. That was honestly one of the few nitpicks I had with the film too, but it really stuck out to me. I don't care how fast he was, he would have been a hotdog.

The sequel's only crime was being too late. It was a great popcorn movie, kinda of movie you put on your big tv and just chill. Like another alien invasion classic Battleship

LOL. I actually saw that trash at the theater. It wasn't quite Battlefield Earth tier, but it was at least as bad as Battle: Los Angeles.

Last edited:

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't work for me. I think it's because I figured out the twist early on and after that the movie felt really slow because it was trying to obscure something I already knew. I just wanted it to get on at that point. I may like it more on a second where I'm prepared for that pace.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
OP I came in ready to party with you, before i realized you mean the inferior Arrival.

I stan this
41r51U8xiJL._SY445_.jpg

+someone+get+charlie+sheen+_66324a54d19b5aeb4ad9f0b5f275e6fa.gif

This is what I thought this was about!! One of my favorites :-) Arrival was okay but I'm not a fan of this dudes movies in general.

But The Arrival is off the hook, in fact about to watch it again this weekend.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I only read the short story it's based on but if the movie is anything like the short story than there is no doubt it's great.

OP
OP
EarlGreyHot

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original film at release, but the effects of "wonder dog" jumping through the tunnel as it exploded behind him were ridiculous even then. That was honestly one of the few nitpicks I had with the film too, but it really stuck out to me. I don't care how fast he was, he would have been a hotdog.

Yeah that's dumb.

Speaking of bad effects, fun fact: the final scene with the old dude slamming his jet in the mothership was different in the original script. In the first version he would have flown in his old propeller plane with a bomb attached to it. It looked terrible so they scrapped it lol.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Love Love Love this movie. The score and the cinematography always take my breath away when I rewatch.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The central conceit that once you learn a language, it affects the way you see the world (the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis) is valid - the idea that it could cause a human to experience time non-linearly is pretty out there, though. Chalk it up to a little bit of alien magic I guess.
I liked the movie overall, but this part kind of took me out of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Came out the week Trump was elected. This movie was a much needed calm during that time.

This movie also fixed Interstellar.

And goddamn, Bradford Young crushed the cinematography.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like parts of arrival. The alien design and language stuff is incredible. Well acted too, but a bit boring. My biggest issue is I cannot stand non-linear time sci-fi. That ruined the movie for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like parts of arrival. The alien design and language stuff is incredible. Well acted too, but a bit boring. My biggest issue is I cannot stand non-linear time sci-fi. That ruined the movie for me.
Isn't like 90 percent of the movie linear tho.

It didn't work for me. I think it's because I figured out the twist early on and after that the movie felt really slow because it was trying to obscure something I already knew. I just wanted it to get on at that point. I may like it more on a second where I'm prepared for that pace.
But it's not like the whole movie was building toward that twist while nothing else was going on.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I came in ready to party with you, before i realized you mean the inferior Arrival.
Must've rented this damn movie like, a hundred times. 😆 It and ID4 were mainstays for a while in our VCR, fun times.

Always laughed at the DEADLY SCORPION trick and the knees thing. Oh and sneaking into an alien factory too. 😆

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I went looking for a movie about language and communication but it was too shallow on that front. I didn't like it but I know there's is not much room to get depth in a sci-fi movie.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
absolutely great sci-fi elements, awful human drama nonsense about love and children and blah.

still waiting for a good sci-fi film that is purely sci-fi, and not 50-70% relationship garbage or whatever.

been burned with this one, Gravity, Interstellar etc... my god the latter especially, wth was Nolan thinking?

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I adore Arrival and consider it a masterpiece. It is ponderous, thought-provoking and beautiful. For me, I like that it does not really get lost in the weeds of science or concepts. At the end of the day all the sci-fi elements are just window dressing around the powerful emotional heart of the story. On the surface the film looks like an alien invasion movie, but in reality it is a story about love and humanity.

Although much of the film has more of a depressing tone, I think this serves to further enhance the ultimately optimistic and life-affirming message of the movie.

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The way it all comes together in the end is so poignant and beautiful that I start tearing up each time I watch it despite seeing it multiple times now. Incredible filmmaking.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. The best kind of sci-fi addresses big questions. The big question of this movie was: would you make a choice out of love if you knew with 100% certainty that it would lead to immeasurable pain, and is there even a choice to be made if you already know the outcome? And we get two perspectives with two different and equally valid answers.
When I first saw Arrival in the cinema I came out very much disliking it and I was bored to the brink. To be fair, I didn't understand it back then, and it didn't click with me until my latest rewatch back in April where I finally understood that the movie is about what is quoted here. It's a beautiful movie thematically.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish i liked the movie more than I do. I think it's very good but I have never had a desire to rewatch it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You should really read Ted Chiang's first short story collection "Stories of Your Life and Others" - it's incredible. It's too bad he isn't very prolific. Although may be that's what makes him special.

And Darmok has to be one of the best ST episodes of all time.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Incredible.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I liked it quite a lot but it did mess up the core element of the short story it's based on by soft peddling the question.

Going for it is:
  • Great performances, particularly Adams
  • Strong direction
  • Great cinematography
  • Interesting premse and visualization of the alien language
  • Strong narrative around Louise and her daughter even if it fluffs the core of it

Not so good:
  • fairly weak plot narrative to explain aliens motives and usual fear of aliens leading to military and goverments reacting badly (in the short story there is no motive given at all but I guess that would be asking to much of casual filmgoers to accept but I'd hoped they'd come up with something more original than a mix of some of the dramatic scenes from Contact and a now pretty familiar time loop payoff
  • Softpeddling the core thematic question posed "if you knew how your life would play out including elements of devestating loss would you accept it and live the life you see pre-ordained before you"

It is a superior slice of more intelectual SF though and while it doesn't get it as well as the short story it's still an interesting meditation on what it would be like to live in a pre-determined Universe where you can percieve your life at once across time.

OP given it's not really an invasion but more of an alien encounters narrative how could you forget the GOAT Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

Also, if you do want an actual invasion film watch the other The Arrival with Charlie Sheen; it's a little SF gem and really quite ingenious.

If you want to go for intellectual SF that makes no compromises for audiences and doesn't soft peddle anything then watch 2001 if you haven't and experience the GOAT of intellectual SF.

OP
OP
EarlGreyHot

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
OP given it's not really an invasion but more of an alien encounters narrative how could you forget the GOAT Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

OMFG you're right. How the hell could I forget about that one?! Great movie. Spielberg was never happy with it for some reason.

If you want to go for intellectual SF that makes no compromises for audiences and doesn't soft peddle anything then watch 2001 if you haven't and experience the GOAT of intellectual SF.

I'm a massive SF fan and I never saw this :-/. I should soon.

Last edited: