• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dims
Wiki: https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Artifact
Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5mY8XqrHU

(Russian)
https://www.cybersport.ru/news/roma...leduyushem-godu-poyavitsya-sostav-po-artifact

(English translation TL;DR) https://np.reddit.com/r/Artifact/co...r_inside_vp_gm_vp_is_going_to_have_a/drtb18b/
- Russian (Virtus Pro) players are one of the first in the incoming alpha-testing, organization is in good contact with Valve
- game is already playable at Valve HQ
- Several people from WESA have tried it, are excited
- NDA is in full force so he can't tell details
- Larger interview with him coming in January

Not much is known except that it is supposed to have lanes, releases 2018™

If pro teams are getting the first crack I'm guessing a million dollar tournament at TI8 or one of the Dota 2 majors to kick it off

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't what anyone wanted Valve to be working on but I gotta admit I'm still pretty hyped to see it. Hearthstone needs some heavy competition and hopefully this will pull it off.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1v1 card game using dota 2 characters ?

This is poised to be the game for me in this genre if done right ...

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will come to mobile, or if it's even suitable for that platform. You gotta think that's the key platform for CCGs. I wonder what's the PC/Mobile split for Hearthstone sales.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know anything re platforms for this game yet? Is it PC only or have they said anything about mobiles? I assume if they're going after the Hearthstone market they'll want to get mobile versions released.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, it's been 4 months since the reveal and we have pretty much 0 info. My nerves are already flared up. So we can expect SOMETHING in January? Hope that isn't in Valve time.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The video with the audience being clearly disappointed with the reveal is a top ten gaming video of all time imo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will come to mobile, or if it's even suitable for that platform. You gotta think that's the key platform for CCGs. I wonder what's the PC/Mobile split for Hearthstone sales.
Can Steam work on mobile? I mean an iPhone X or A10X chip should be able to run it no matter how heavy it is.

Nintendo Switch compatibility would be fucking ace for cracking NA market, but mobile would mean millions in China.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Steam work on mobile? I mean an iPhone X or A10X chip should be able to run it no matter how heavy it is.

Nintendo Switch compatibility would be fucking ace for cracking NA market, but mobile would mean millions in China.
A mobile game with Steam API/market integration would be great to see.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is also making VR games on the side so if they want to follow the money while also innovating elsewhere fine. If those VR games turn put to be subpar I take that back though.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish for anyone who is excited for this that it actually delivers on their expectations. So that at least those people got something out of this.
Will be interesting to see if it can actually take a bite out of that Hearthstone pie, or if people will flock to Gwent.

Namdrater

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin / Cape Town
Personally, I'm really excited for this. Dota is a fantastic game and I hope they can convert its strengths into a card game.

Contacting pro teams already is a good sign.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've been excited for this since it's announcement. I honestly think it will be good, even though it isn't the game most people wanted Valve to make.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm interested if we cant pay real money for booster packs to be honest. I find it funny to see so many card games popping up to compete with Hearthstone and yet all of them try to sell booster packs. Meanwhile, physical card games have been using living card game model (aka DLC) instead for many yrs.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I'm dying for a Hearthstone alternative. Gwent didn't do it. Beta on PC, but Valve had better get a mobile client ASAP. Maybe finally an excuse to update Steam mobile, and the Steam experience in general.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested if we cant pay real money for booster packs to be honest. I find it funny to see so many card games popping up to compete with Hearthstone and yet all of them try to sell booster packs. Meanwhile, physical card games have been using living card game model (aka DLC) instead for many yrs.
If you could use your Dota items in Artifact it might be a cool bridging mechanic.
But I'm sure Valve has a team of psychological economists that know the best way to extract money from wallets.

kosanu

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I'm excited that this could be the game to give Hearthstone some much needed legitimate competition.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited that this could be the game to give Hearthstone some much needed legitimate competition.
Are there legit Hearthstone whales? You can get all gold cards I guess, but there seems to be a cap on how much you can spend on HS, whereas Dota 2 you can spend like $50,000 if you want more epeen during TI

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half Life died for this guys. Fuck Valve.
No, half life died because everyone that wanted to tell stories left the company. The people that are left are here to release tiny monetization scheme games and run a storefront.

Artifact is a consequence of that, not a specific decision to stop making large games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given Gabe's comments about walled gardens earlier this year wouldn't count on it coming out on mobile platforms.
"There have been cases where we've updated products 5-6 times in a day. When we did the original iOS of Steam App, right, we shipped it, we got a whole bunch of feedback and like the next day we're ready to do an update. We weren't able to get that update out for six months! And we couldn't find out why they wouldn't release it! They wouldn't tell us. This is the life that you have in these environments. And finally they shipped it! And they wouldn't tell us why they finally shipped it."
lul sound's like they got Valve'd