• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
asZhFVO.jpg
Lololol

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
this wasn't really the problem with the movie.

it was the washed out colors of the environment (the real place its based off of has more color), and lack of charismatic animations that made characters feel more alive. the realistic direction is fine, but it's done in such a pessimistic way that the movie just became a chore to watch.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This feels like one of those situations where after the first monstrous edit of whatever character you would come to the realization that you should probably abandon the whole endeavor.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's not as bad as everyone's saying it is. It pretty much looks like Zootopia which also had cartoony design with realistic rendering of fur and skin.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good example of fans not actually knowing what they're talking about. These are worse in every possible way haha, it's like that ugly ass Jump Force game

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol this is awful. kinda defeats the purpose of the live action movies if you just make the real animals look like the cartoon versions.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Favreau's a mediocre ass director but also these 'improvements' are creepy aside from scar

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Everyone on page 1 and possibly the other pages are crazy. These look great.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
They both look awful. I think there are plenty of ways to make the live action one look more vibrant without making it some horrifying combination.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
New avatar! Thanks OP! The realistic direction was fine. The faces just needed more expression like in Jungle Book.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
These are just mock ups...I think the the direction is better than what it ended up being. Seeing realistic looking animals so blatantly anthropomorphised feels utterly ridiculous.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer it over the movie honestly, the eyes are a bit too cartoony, tone down the eyes so it looks more like Detective Pikachu and it would be perfect.

As cartoony as these look, they look more lively that the actual Disney ones.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just looks painted over and terrible. Now if someone can find a brighter texture to replace what's there, we may be talking.

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest issue is that the eyes don't appear to be spheres, but some kind of inbetween shape that just fits the socket. No matter how big their eyes are, CGI characters have spheres that can turn in their sockets, these look like they are just a texture over a dome rather than having actual volume inside the head.

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I hate when fans complain about the look of a movie, only to then double down by ONLY focusing on the original's style. It's unimaginative and hilarious when they try to act like they know more than artists.

I dislike the photorealistic approach, but copying the original's look isn't a proper response.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Didn't see this posted. One of the character designers posted an earlier, more stylized version on his Instagram. He has a closeup on another post. Michael Kutsche Instagram

That looks really good, and closer to what I wish the movie was. I don't mind them going with a mostly realistic look, but I wish they embellished/anthropomorphized the characters' expressions and mannerisms more. I don't give a shit if it's not how real lions emote - real lions don't befriend their prey, either.