MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
You can complain or you can just deal with it. Any time will be inconvenient for somebody on Earth so why is it that the show should suit you?

You mentioned Nintendo and Microsoft having good E3 presentation times but they're at 2am where I live. I work around it because they're important to me.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TGA is a awful show that is constantly cutting to terrible commercials while you wait for the commercials you're interested in.
Just watch the stuff you're interested in the morning instead.

Oct 30, 2017
Based on last year and this inconvenient time, I won't watch it live. It ain't worth it to sacrifice sleep for this two hour cringe fest filled with ads and breaks.

I'll just watch the Easy Allies reaction on friday.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
E3 is brutal in Western Australia. I'm setting my alarms for all ungodly hours of the night to watch these things. This last year I felt like I was doing actual damage to myself by getting so sleep deprived, so I don't know how many years I've got left in me. But I feel like once I lose that hype engine that drives me to watch it all live it might as well all be over :P

TGA is actually at a very reasonable time for me, though.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Even those invited stars in parts mean very little to global audiences. It's a US centric show.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from the EU too and the time slot is insane for us. Might as well just call it the North American Video Game Awards

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Will probably just watch the trailers the next day. I really don't care about who wins a Game Award, especially as past years a lot weren't even given stage time.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Is it still televised, or have they got rid of the constant commercial-breaks?

I stopped watching a few years ago because it just got worse every year.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's ok OP, I wake up the day after and watch the show in fast forward, by skipping all the nonsense is about a 15-20 minutes decent show, otherwise is just a torture...

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's important to you, schedule something around it. There are some Champions League matches where I don't want to miss and I wake up at 4am for it.

Just make sure you get proper rest before or after VGA.

shibbs

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it sucks. I always like watching the show. I'll watch it the day after but it's hard not to get spoiled.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't missing anything, just watch the trailers next morning.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to have better times for Europe, but I don't think this will change, because these are the TGA viewer numbers:

2017: 11.5 Million (Up 202%)
2016: 3.8 Million (Up 65%)
2015: 2.3 Million (Up 23%)
2014: 1.9 Million

I think 2016 was when 1 Million from China alone tuned in, because of the Tencent deal. They probably doubled (or tripled) down on this partnership, which is maybe also part of the reason why it's at such a bad time for us Europeans.

Anyways... Don't know if I'll be able to watch. Starts at 2:30am for me and it probably will drag on again. I'm not even sure if I watched last years show live or if I just caught up on the news? Can't really say that TGA's are something that I'm excited for, but I do understand the people that are and want better times. Probably very hard to find the perfect schedule, just like any other global events.

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is, there's not much to be done about it if they also want to air on evening TV (anywhere, US or no). I'll just watch the the next day.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
As someone who probably wouldn't be able to watch it live, it's for the best, all the trailers will be available online with none of the garbage by the time I wake up.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the UK have 2 kids and a full time job, I'm able to watch it live every year, same with all E3 conferences. If something like this is on at 2:30am I just go to sleep early, wake up to watch it, then have another nap afterwards.

I know that's not for everyone, but it works for me. I've probably been conditioned to it from having to do this throughout the year to watchb certain NFL games that begin at 130am here.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any award show is just marketing if you want to be that cynical about it.

Yeah, E3 is literally called "Electronic Entertainment Exposition", and like Wiki says
is a premier trade event for the video game industry.[2] Presented and organized by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), it is used by many developers, publishers, and hardware and accessory manufacturers to introduce and advertise upcoming games and game-related merchandise to retailers and members of the press.

E3 is also literally one big fat marketing and advertisment show.

Nov 28, 2017
I actually like it much better that way. Just like NFL, I watch it when I wake up and skip through all commercial breaks and save a ton of time.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it sucks (same with Sony) so i just don't watch it. It's not the same watching it at a later time, and i can't get up to watch the show because then i'm too hyped to go back to sleep. I'll just watch all the trailers and ignore everything else.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
You raise a good point, the admins and mods should be considerate of spoilers for other countries who can't watch the thing live and limit all your announcements to one thread to minimize spoilers but this site gets big bucks for spoiling/leaking announcements so you're out of luck but it doesn't matter since the VGA is so fucking boring, just wait for the announcements / info round up in the morning and watch the crowbcat video for highlights.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
My plan : As soon as I'm home on Thursday evening after work I'm going to bed and wake up when the pre show starts. I'm not going to miss the chance when a new The Last of Us 2 trailer drops live. I'm going to be a wreck at work, but fuck it.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'd be happy waking up in the middle of night for a couple hours if only it wasn't on a week night. Why can't they hold it during the weekend?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind not catching it live because it's normally full of stuff i don't care about. I'll just watch the easy allies stream the next day, least they make the dull parts not as bad lol.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I do t work nights any more so I'm boned.
I'll just come here for the headlines the morning after, here in the UK.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
If it really bothers you, you could wake up a tad earlier than usual and watch the whole show on youtube or whatever before heading to work. You'ld stil go in blanc.

Being bummed about this is pretty childish though frankly.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol. That's just how things are.

I should have made a thread about how mad I was at waking up 4AM to watch Sony's E3 this year. Well, me and tens of thousands of other people.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the VGAs and Sony's E3 have always been and the worst times of day. I'll always stay up for Sony E3 because it's usually worth it, but these days I'll just catch up on VGA announcements in the morning.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Normally I'd just stay awake and watch it (V trailer)... but exam that day doe.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
For me it would be ok because 6 and 8 are public holiday here and the 7 is my bday so I take the day off every year. But should be on Friday or Saturday if it needs to be at US prime time.

I will probably not watch it anyway, I will watch all the trailers in bed when I wake up.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So, everyone is excited for the video game awards, its basically becoming a 2nd E3 and Geoff does a wonderful job with hosting it, I'm sure there will be many great surprises.

And that makes me sad, because I can't watch it live. See, the VGA airs around 2:30 midnight in Germany on a working day, meaning there is no way to watch it live. Yes, I can watch it after that of course, but its not the same. There is nothing more magical than watching a video game event live with so many people around the globe and hype up great games announcements on the exact same time.

I know that its an american focused show and has every right to air around that time, but as an European I can't help but to feel really excluded from that event. I mean, Nintendo and Microsoft are hosting their E3 events at much more convenient times as well, so maybe hosting VGA a few hours before would be in the realm of possibility?

What do you think? Are more Europeans here who feel the same way?

For E3 I stay up and take a couple of days off out of the office. Wouldn't do that for the VGA.

I don't really care about the awards themselves, and I can catch up on any trailers/reveals on Friday.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Luckily my schedule means I can stay up for as long as I want that day but, yeah, I can see how it might suck for those who can't. It'd definitely be an improvement if they aired it on a Friday night instead of a Thursday. As for people saying to just watch the announcements; it's not the same. Not knowing what's coming up and all that, even if it just a marketing thing, is still exciting and is the primary reason why people watch these things.

Being bummed about this is pretty childish though frankly.

Gatekeeping what people are and aren't allowed to care for on a video game forum meant for video game enthusiasts is much more "childish" imo.