Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a channel over here that airs a lot of TV shows I follow or used to follow (mainly The Walking Dead nowadays), and that I tune in from time to time when I need some decent background humor in the form of The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy and so on. They also have The Big Bang Theory on air, so while I don't like the show, it happens that I catch a couple minutes of it from time to time as I wait for something else or as another show ends before I get around to switch channels. I don't like the characters, the fake nerd setup and all, but I understand it isn't for me and I just move on.

So yesterday while I was working on the computer and as the fun 2-part Who Shot Mr. Burns episode of The Simpsons ended, immediately The Big Bang Theory started. Can't tell which episode it was, but it started with the main characters entering in an apartment lobby in renessaince clothes, with Sheldon saying something along the lines of "this was the worst renessaince fair ever". After that, there was a pretty loud laugh track.

This was at the start of an episode so no context was given. There was no joke in this setup, no joke said by Sheldon or anyone else, unless seeing actors in generic renessaince costumes is a joke in itself. And yet, there was a laugh track, and I have no doubts a lot of people watched this and laughed. Call me obtuse but I don't fucking get it. I've always found their attempts at humor pretty weak, but at least there's usually an attempt to set up some decent joke by building something up or by having wacky acting on purpose. But this isn't the first time I see scenes from this show that end with a laugh track placed after scenes that failed to have a punchline, let alone a good one.

"I went to New York." *laughs*
"Worst renessaince fair ever." *laughs*
"I bought a Star Wars toy." *laughs*

This thing somehow lasted 12 seasons. I don't want to make fun of people's tastes or sense of humor, but I am seriously in awe that the show is trying to force laughs out of people by adding laugh tracks where there is nothing even remotely funny. I'm aware this is an old trick, but in this day and age with a modern show it just feels jarring. It feels like there's a dude pushing the audience laugh button at random intervals, regardless of what's happening on screen.

Illuminate me, what is up with this show because I'm probably too stupid to understand it.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I definitely don't need to say anything insulting other than it was I who found insult and alas the only remedy was to never watch again.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible show with corny, unfunny nerd humor. I watched like 1 minute of one episode and it instantly became the worst show I've ever seen.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The whole premise of the show is that every single thing a nerd does is funny. It's basically a relic of the 80's dressed up in a more modern presentation. So, regarding the laugh track, it was there because only nerds go to renaissance fairs, which is therefore hilarious to people who aren't nerds.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible show with corny, unfunny nerd humor. I watched like 1 minute of one episode and it instantly became the worst show I've ever seen.

That's the thing. I am trying to rationalize how such a show became such a cultural phenomenon all over the world, warranting 12 seasons and one (or more, I don't even know) spin-off in the process. Half the scenes I catched are random nerd references or call outs to real world passed off as jokes. I don't remember this one correctly but I remember a scene where one of the characters built a playset or something mixing up Star Wars, Star Trek, Game Of Thrones or whatever properties to make one giant battlefield. There were laugh tracks everywhere and I was just wondering what the fuck is this, why is it that I'm supposed to find that funny besides "omg I'm such a nerd I know those properties!".

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole premise of the show is that every single thing a nerd does is funny. It's basically a relic of the 80's dressed up in a more modern presentation. So, regarding the laugh track, it was there because only nerds go to renaissance fairs, which is therefore hilarious to people who aren't nerds.

It definitely does feel like a collection of "that's what nerds do" scenes by people who probably picked on nerds in high school to begin with. I'm almost surprised there's relationships involved considering nerds are single, ugly, degenerate and so on according to such people.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It was "funny" because Sheldon always complains about everything. So it is a joke about sheldons constant complaining.

I like the Show. Watched nearly every Episode. It loses much of its charm in later seasons but all in all i had a good time watching the Show.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
It definitely does feel like a collection of "that's what nerds do" scenes by people who probably picked on nerds in high school to begin with. I'm almost surprised there's relationships involved considering nerds are single, ugly, degenerate and so on according to such people.
Yeah but those relationships are filtered through the lens of "lol nerds". One of them can't even talk to girls at the beginning of the show and has to work up the courage to *gasp* interact with the opposite sex, one of them has to punch way above his weight to win the affections of the "hot and normal girl" etc. It's so pathetic, contrite and predictable; it's literally the lowest common denominator of sitcom humour.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was "funny" because Sheldon always complains about everything. So it is a joke about sheldons constant complaining.

I like the Show. Watched nearly every Episode. It loses much of its charm in later seasons but all in all i had a good time watching the Show.

Okay, thank you, that's an explanation. I am seriously not trying to belittle fans, I am just trying to understand how this premise works with so many people. I know decent and fairly smart people who enjoy the show but I never understood what's the appeal. I think I'm closer to understanding now, I do recall scenes where Sheldon points out incorrect uses of scientific or historic terms and stuff like that. Can't say I find it funny but I understand its appeal more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but those relationships are filtered through the lens of "lol nerds". One of them can't even talk to girls at the beginning of the show and has to work up the courage to *gasp* interact with the opposite sex, one of them has to punch way above his weight to win the affections of the "hot and normal girl" etc. It's so pathetic, contrite and predictable; it's literally the lowest common denominator of sitcom humour.

Yeah, having these socially awkward nerds who can barely look at girls have this dumb blonde girl "who doesn't understand science" hang out with them, with Sheldon on the other hand dating an uglier more awkward nerd... it really feels like a setup for a show from decades ago, yet it was on air until very recently.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
First time I had a glimpse of the show, Sheldon made a comment about owning a N64 or something along those lines - *laugh track*.

I was confused.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I agree with you 100% OP. I don't get its insane popularity either, who is it even made for? I'd like to see WB's internal data on demographics. (I think WB makes the show?)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having these socially awkward nerds who can barely look at girls have this dumb blonde girl "who doesn't understand science" hang out with them, with Sheldon on the other hand dating an uglier more awkward nerd... it really feels like a setup for a show from decades ago, yet it was on air until very recently.

I dunno from 2014 on socially awkward nerds who have issues with women seems pretty current.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The episode when Penny calls out Howard for being a creepy asshole but she is coaxed by Sheldon and Leonard to apologize because she hurt the pervert's feelings.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why is the Internet so pretentious about laugh tracks

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
it's really cool to see the before and after of nerd worship that 2015 and GamerGate so clearly separates

we were still riding the crest of Joss Whedon's geek revival when BBT was popular

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have no issues with laugh tracks. They're rather outdated, but in some shows they work. The issue here is that the laugh tracks in this show usually come after situations where no joke was delivered.

Imagine reading this phrase out loud and after you finish there's a laugh track.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, as a shy nerd myself I found the first couple of seasons quite funny, I like to laugh at myself I guess. Then it became more and more a sitcom about couples and it became unbearable. I think I dropped it in season 8 or something? My gf watched it more or less until the end even though she came to hate it with passion lol

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
I've seen a handful of episodes from across its run. Whilst I've never enjoyed it, I think it's worth noting how the writing changed from Penny being the brunt of jokes in the early shows as the 'outsider', so a vague celebration of nerd culture, to everyone but Penny become the brunt of jokes later on: the geeks became the punchline - just grubby punching down.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
fnz4cs1bvb811.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I've only seen a few snippets of the show, but it was Sheldon saying "First, there was the Xbox, then the Xbox 360, then back to Xbox 1. This makes no sense!", and laugh tracks between everything.

I was like "...yes, this is nerd stuff that is accurate. It's not funny tho.".

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's probably because it's lowest common denominator humour. It doesn't attempt to do anything clever, just appeal to the masses by poking gentle humour at a relatively easy target.

Not that it's aged particularly well already but I think in time it'll be looked at as one of the worst sitcoms of the past few decades.

Oct 31, 2017
I tried to watch it because I had a lot of high school friends that really liked it.

It's probably one of the most un-funny sitcoms I've ever had the displeasure of watching

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's not a general problem with laugh tracks - you don't hear them brought up with generally beloved three camera sitcoms like Seinfeld or Frasier. It's a problem with shows using them as a crutch for humor - i.e. "telling" the audience the show is funny by feeding them an emotion, especially when it's sometimes borderline Jeb Bush "please clap"-tier, rather than actually writing a damn funny joke once in a while.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it has tropes, uses a laugh track etc. I dont analyze every show i watch if it is entertaining it is ... end of story as far as I care... sometimes you just want mindless entertainment.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a general problem with laugh tracks - you don't hear them brought up with generally beloved three camera sitcoms like Seinfeld or Frasier. It's a problem with shows using them as a crutch for humor - i.e. "telling" the audience the show is funny by feeding them an emotion, especially when it's sometimes borderline Jeb Bush "please clap"-tier, rather than actually writing a damn funny joke once in a while.
zzz seinfeld. I actually like friends and frasier dont particular enjoy seinfeld. ppl have different opinions of humour etc etc

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It was kind of cool to see stuff I liked on tv. Its my Friends type background noise show. Some funny stuff, Some not so funny stuff like the Xbox thing that we were al wtf about for the uninitiated.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked it for the novelty back in the day, I watched 5 or 6 seasons before I realized it was going nowhere
It's pretty gross too

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, thank you, that's an explanation. I am seriously not trying to belittle fans, I am just trying to understand how this premise works with so many people. I know decent and fairly smart people who enjoy the show but I never understood what's the appeal. I think I'm closer to understanding now, I do recall scenes where Sheldon points out incorrect uses of scientific or historic terms and stuff like that. Can't say I find it funny but I understand its appeal more.

What appear to be contextless laughs are more likely due to character traits/interactions that might be more for people familiar with the show. When quoted out of context it can seem empty but can work in situ.

Eg "I went to New York" - laugh track. Audience is likely reflecting on Sheldon's (probably) dissatisfaction and anticipating a silly comment about something tourists/visitors normally like, twisted through Sheldon's particular lens of nerd/social misfit etc.

It isn't as good as early seasons but I still enjoy watching it

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
zzz seinfeld. I actually like friends and frasier dont particular enjoy seinfeld. ppl have different opinions of humour etc etc
Ok, what's your point? I never said otherwise. I was just stating the fact that people don't just hate laugh tracks indiscriminately, as evidenced by the fact that they're never brought up in discussions of various other shows.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, what's your point? I never said otherwise. I was just stating the fact that people don't just hate laugh tracks indiscriminately, as evidenced by the fact that they're never brought up in discussions of various other shows.
I am pointing out friends and bbtheory are also quite beloved.... if anything at the same level if not more than seinfeld or frasier.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is up with all these people new to life trying to suddenly rewrite history.

Screw your opinions!

It was an amazing show, deal with it!

Embrace my opinions!