• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really ok for those of us who are not community members but want to show solidarity to pop in here? If so: I am so sorry that things went like this. As someone who was reading the meeting as it went, this is a disappointing and hurtful conclusion after a lot of thought and effort made by this community.

I've reported the thread lock and said thoughts to staff on it, for whatever good it does. The flippant locking like this without considering the consequences does not feel like they - or at least whoever made the decision to lock it, specifically - learned from the meeting, especially when this kind of harsh lock without any response to concerned users was directly mentioned in the Meeting as one of the obvious problems. Negative takeaways are takeaways and to claim them as derailment is... well, let's say a bad sign for the ability to learn from criticism at best. Especially without any attempt to steer things back on track or engage with why it supposedly was derailed first; that was not a random OT thread criticizing them, it was something where the staff was supposed to be invested in discussion and use it to make things better for people. I do not see how it benefits anyone, both users and the staff, to so quickly and completely burn any good will that was earned through the meeting.

Also, ironically... I had a suggestion on the staff's repeated insistence on PMing Mod Captains as a solution ready to post (tl;dr - 3/5 of them appear to be very inactive, which makes it discouraging and risky for a form of communication with staff when you can only pick 2 at most to PM and have to rely on them responding, and they should at least have a way to contact to the entire team as was suggested in the meeting), but held off on posting it because it didn't feel as relevant as the other criticism. Apparently it was. The meeting thread had people repeatedly pointing out racist threads together and doing that actually had them dealt with quickly; it does not follow that the best way to handle things going forward is still to PM specific people by yourself and hope they eventually respond favorably... or else use the Contact Us form, which supposedly takes forever or never when it comes to response-time. Things may get heated in threads but there is significant value in having public group discussions with staff and the meeting was literally an example of that.

EDIT: well, shit, now I feel weird topping a page

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I also followed both threads (the discussion and the takeaway), and given the moderation team's insistence on making changes and improving the experience here for y'all, it leaves an incredibly bad taste in the mouth to see more than a few issues ignored or outright dismissed. That last no was especially harsh, and it's not like multiple people didn't offer suggestions or alternatives.
Then it was closed. Not because everyone was satisfied, but because the mod team was finished. Then the takeaway thread was closed.
I'm sorry, Asian members. You deserve better.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solidarity comrades. Actually thinking of leaving this hellsite myself and sticking to discord. It's becoming clear that the mods only want to cater to their white lib base.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
That meeting sure ended up the way I thought it would go. That thread about the summary sure was something else though.

Yeah..... I should have seen it coming but I still had a bit of hope that things would go better than the last 2 times a meeting thread happened. I'm not surprised. Just heavily disappointed.

Oh yeah and also big thanks to the non-Asian members coming in here and showing support.

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
That thread lock on the Asian-era meeting summary post is pretty embarrassing. Can't even make it to two pages before the GM scrambles for the lock, just because he can't handle the heat. Craven behavior, if I've ever seen it.

plus

Oct 25, 2017
can i have a link to the asian era discord? I don't post on ERA much but seeing how tone deaf the moderation team was in dealing with everyone's concerns made me want to connect a bit more with whatever remnants of an Asian ERA community still remain. (Chinese American here)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm sorry the thread went down the way it did, although I can't say I'm surprised. You guys deserve way better than what you got.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
can i have a link to the asian era discord? I don't post on ERA much but seeing how tone deaf the moderation team was in dealing with everyone's concerns made me want to connect a bit more with whatever remnants of an Asian ERA community still remain. (Chinese American here)

PM Pet. She'll send you an invite.

And thanks to everyone for the support. Really appreciate it when there's someone reading and listening to us.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a participant of the AsianERA meeting, the reaction/response from the staff here on ERA, especially after quite a few of us have requested better transparency/accountability when it comes to moderation actions here on ERA and literally being told "no" and that staff response coming from one of the Asian mods ERA has is completely angering to me and highly disappointing.

Then in another slap in the face of the AsianERA community, the summary thread got posted with a clear lie that the meeting was "productive" then someone on staff made the ultimate determination that the thread was being derailed and instead of a mod coming in there to post a message requesting people to get back on topic like in other threads, it is locked then sometime after the lock, a staff message is finally posted stating why it was locked.

I am not a pleased AsianERA member at all and would like to thank everyone who isn't Asian for all of your posts in solidarity with us.

Oct 25, 2017
Morning folks I don't think I've ever actually posted this thread before but I'm sorry to hear about what an absolute shitshow the meeting apparently turned out to be for whatever that's worth.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
As a participant of the AsianERA meeting, the reaction/response from the staff here on ERA, especially after quite a few of us have requested better transparency/accountability when it comes to moderation actions here on ERA and literally being told "no" and that staff response coming from one of the Asian mods ERA has is completely angering to me and highly disappointing.
Which mod was it, Snowy (sp)?

AsianERA can't even have threads posted in solidarity with our community without it being immediately locked:
www.resetera.com

Let's discuss how the Era moderation staff threw the Asian community under the bus to avoid hard change.

On August 18th (Tokyo Time), I stumbled upon a thread regarding the results of the Asian Era Meeting. I very rarely ever peak into the stickied topics, so I don't know why I ended up in this thread in the first place...
Unfortunately, not new. I was lucky to stumble upon a great summary of the Shamima Begum thread before it was locked quickly.

Edit:
Check the final page of the Asian-ERA meeting. It's in there.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
AsianERA can't even have threads posted in solidarity with our community without it being immediately locked:
www.resetera.com

Let's discuss how the Era moderation staff threw the Asian community under the bus to avoid hard change.

On August 18th (Tokyo Time), I stumbled upon a thread regarding the results of the Asian Era Meeting. I very rarely ever peak into the stickied topics, so I don't know why I ended up in this thread in the first place...
That's super shitty it's important to have another thread separate of the OT thread that can discuss the outcomes or lack thereof of the meeting without it being dictated based on a moderator being the original poster. If nothing else it just looks hella bad to lock like that.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is this still the Asian era thread? I don't see much activity

I've been posting in the Mulan thread a few times but thought I'd ask in here: is anybody else bothered by the lack of Asian representation on the production side of Mulan? Specifically the director and writers? I look at Black Panther and think wow, they did everything they could to be respectful to the culture and make a movie an entire race could root for. I can't say the same for Mulan at all. Maybe having a Chinese director would have been a worse movie, but at least they could say they tried.

It's really bothering me but I haven't seen any mention of this

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is this still the Asian era thread? I don't see much activity

This is still the Asian ERA thread, but most users (and pretty much all active users) have fled to Discord.

I've been posting in the Mulan thread a few times but thought I'd ask in here: is anybody else bothered by the lack of Asian representation on the production side of Mulan? Specifically the director and writers? I look at Black Panther and think wow, they did everything they could to be respectful to the culture and make a movie an entire race could root for. I can't say the same for Mulan at all. Maybe having a Chinese director would have been a worse movie, but at least they could say they tried.

It's really bothering me but I haven't seen any mention of this

Live action Mulan puts Disney in a difficult position either way.

Black Panther was at least an American comic book IP, but Mulan as a character and story is lifted directly from Chinese folklore. If Disney were to bring in production staff from China, then why is Disney even involved, other than bringing attention and sales to the movie by using their name? The other issue is that there's always a loud and persistent minority lamenting Hollywood's business choices as pandering to China, and such a move would only have stoked that fire.

Ultimately the best compromise for Disney may have been to tap a Chinese-American to adapt the traditional Chinese tale for American audiences, and try to expand their reach to more Asian-Americans in the process.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This is still the Asian ERA thread, but most users (and pretty much all active users) have fled to Discord.

Live action Mulan puts Disney in a difficult position either way.

Black Panther was at least an American comic book IP, but Mulan as a character and story is lifted directly from Chinese folklore. If Disney were to bring in production staff from China, then why is Disney even involved, other than bringing attention and sales to the movie by using their name? The other issue is that there's always a loud and persistent minority lamenting Hollywood's business choices as pandering to China, and such a move would only have stoked that fire.

Ultimately the best compromise for Disney may have been to tap a Chinese-American to adapt the traditional Chinese tale for American audiences, and try to expand their reach to more Asian-Americans in the process.
Ah I don't really use discord. Don't blame y'all for leaving

I'm not calling for them to bring in Chinese directors from China or anything that extreme. But to try and respect the culture and the source. Not a single Asian person on that team! It's inexcusable and to me just enforces my thinking that Asians still have a long way to go for representation and racism in general.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not calling for them to bring in Chinese directors from China or anything that extreme. But to try and respect the culture and the source. Not a single Asian person on that team! It's inexcusable and to me just enforces my thinking that Asians still have a long way to go for representation and racism in general.

I don't disagree, but the well is pretty shallow (as a result of the issues that you raise). There aren't many Asian directors working in Hollywood, because they haven't been given the opportunities. So now, when it would make the most sense to find some to staff your project, there aren't any names that are available.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree, but the well is pretty shallow (as a result of the issues that you raise). There aren't many Asian directors working in Hollywood, because they haven't been given the opportunities. So now, when it would make the most sense to find some to staff your project, there aren't any names that are available.
True the well is shallow, but not like Caro is some huge get either. Maybe a writer? Anything! Or don't do it at all imo. Just feels disrespectful. I'm just sad cause I was hoping for this to be a turning point for Asians in Hollywood. Who knows, maybe it still will be

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
True the well is shallow, but not like Caro is some huge get either. Maybe a writer? Anything! Or don't do it at all imo. Just feels disrespectful. I'm just sad cause I was hoping for this to be a turning point for Asians in Hollywood. Who knows, maybe it still will be

Crazy Rich Asians already happened. Asians have been covered. The moment has passed.

You have to wait 20 years for the next one.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. There are Asian American directors and writers out there. Would have been a perfect time to elevate them. Could have gone across the pond as well.

Not even the costumes were designed by Asians.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
I'm curious where my views on Asian American-ness would be located on a political spectrum or if any other Asian shares these views.

So I'm not really into Asian representation in American institutions, and I'm not really into Asians assimilating into White society to be honest. America is ultimately a White settler colony and it feels like racial discourse revolves around the degree to which non-Whites are absorbed into Western power, White institutions, and White society. It feels like wanting representation in American institutions such as media and academia further empowers White cultural supremacy which I believe is a significant driving force behind forms of racism we see in the modern (i.e Westernized) world. Being Asian American can feel awkward when you realize that:
  • The Americas were essentially stumbled upon because of Columbus' ambitions to conquer Asian lands (his original destination was Japan)
  • The Indigenous peoples here (who are genetically and even racially grouped with Eastern Asians) are subject to genocide and we occupy their lands
  • We contribute to the wealth and power of a country that killed many Asians with impunity throughout several wars and colonial campaigns
Taking those things into account, I feel like my Asian-ness should oppose my country and any manifestation of Western colonial power. These views are likely radical, but they also prefer a status quo that existed centuries ago. But I also wonder, are these views that I hold right?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

It's somewhat something, but I'm hoping Shang Chi does it better and well. Unlike these Disney live action adaptations, that one has an Asian writer and director, and the primary cast is of Asian descent but are both from North America.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious where my views on Asian American-ness would be located on a political spectrum or if any other Asian shares these views.

So I'm not really into Asian representation in American institutions, and I'm not really into Asians assimilating into White society to be honest. America is ultimately a White settler colony and it feels like racial discourse revolves around the degree to which non-Whites are absorbed into Western power, White institutions, and White society. It feels like wanting representation in American institutions such as media and academia further empowers White cultural supremacy which I believe is a significant driving force behind forms of racism we see in the modern (i.e Westernized) world. Being Asian American can feel awkward when you realize that:
  • The Americas were essentially stumbled upon because of Columbus' ambitions to conquer Asian lands (his original destination was Japan)
  • The Indigenous peoples here (who are genetically and even racially grouped with Eastern Asians) are subject to genocide and we occupy their lands
  • We contribute to the wealth and power of a country that killed many Asians with impunity throughout several wars and colonial campaigns
Taking those things into account, I feel like my Asian-ness should oppose my country and any manifestation of Western colonial power. These views are likely radical, but they also prefer a status quo that existed centuries ago. But I also wonder, are these views that I hold right?

I mean I ain't Asian but this don't sound too wrong with me.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

I'm Asian but not Asian American. However I was born and grew up in a colonial power country in Europe and I have similar feelings. I definitely went through a period of pure hatred for my country, but now not so much. But I'm still pretty against helping my country 'succeed' and I've moved to Asia for possibly the long term. Maybe I'll move back to Europe when views on racial relations and colonialism have improved. But until then, this is my status quo.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Sorry for the intrusion.
I'd like to get some knowledge on a particular topic, and i would really appreciate for you guys to give me some further insight.
I thought i did my due diligence but maybe i fucked up in some way?
Feel free to bash me if i did.

You can use the quotes to check the entire discussion on that particular topic.
Thanks in advance.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

Oakland Police Warn Of Increased Chinatown Crime; Incidents Against Asian Americans Increasing

With Lunar New Year approaching this week, Oakland police said they have been warning residents that robberies and burglaries are on the rise in the city's Chinatown.

Stay safe, Asian ERA.
There is a significant amount of Asian targeted crimes in the Bay on the spike. Take care of your elderly loved ones, they are usually ones targeted.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all! First, I wanted to say that I'm sorry shit has gotten so much worse for y'all. It shouldn't be happening, full stop.

Second, I created a thread - I wanted black ERA and Asian ERA and other oppressed groups to be able to have an open conversation about what has been happening and how we talk to each other about this stuff. For black people and Asian people in particular, there's a ton of media or other parties trying to push us in conflict with one another.

More generally, I believe there's a problem on ERA when people of multiple oppressed groups talk to each other, either about things like this or generally. The idea sparked from a conversation on Gaming side. Hopefully this thread stays open, as I'm trying to keep it as non-specific as possible.

I imagine y'all get the gist, but here's the thread:

www.resetera.com

Black, Asian, and other oppressed groups of ERA... let's talk to each other (READ OP)

EDIT: Let's be especially cautious in order to avoid bringing up old arguments, etc. That said, I've remade the thread to de-emphasize any specific situation, and hopefully the overall point is understandable. Note: While non-oppressed groups are welcome, ideally this should be more of a...

I hope you can share your valuable perspectives.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
Is anyone else getting annoyed by how people think the latest string of attacks are mainly due to Trump's "China virus" rhetoric without acknowledging Sinophobia/re-packaged Yellow Peril rhetoric that's been fermenting throughout the years?

Andrew Yang predicted something like this two years ago, way before COVID was on the radar.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting annoyed by how people think the latest string of attacks are mainly due to Trump's "China virus" rhetoric without acknowledging Sinophobia/re-packaged Yellow Peril rhetoric that's been fermenting throughout the years?

Andrew Yang predicted something like this two years ago, way before COVID was on the radar.
Im annoyed about a lot of things lol

Jokes aside the problem with the way we talk about Asians in this country is most of these racists asshole don't know the difference. It's straight up open season on all of us. Did Trump make things worse? Absolutely. Should koreans (me) be just as wary as Chinese, Japanese and East Asians? You bet your ass we all should be.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I agree. Asian racism has been festering for years (I experienced a lot when I was younger). Trump just brought it out.

Jokes aside the problem with the way we talk about Asians in this country is most of these racists asshole don't know the difference. It's straight up open season on all of us. Did Trump make things worse? Absolutely. Should koreans (me) be just as wary as Chinese, Japanese and East Asians? You bet your ass we all should be.
Agreed. Racists don't care - they think all Asians are the same anyways.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020

I hear you. Anyone who's East Asian-passing is a potential target here. I think that's something all Asian diaspora and even nationals from Asian countries have to acknowledge when in America: general xenophobia against one Asian country/ethnicity likely affects other Asian ethnicities. Trump helped unleashed it, but from Asian American podcasts I was listening to back in 2019, this violence was bound to happen sooner or later.

I'm actually wondering if I should have my steel bat easily grab-able in my car when going out.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
We can all just put "we are not a monolith" on our headstones and someone will pick it up eventually right?

gully state

Oct 27, 2017

fermented more than a few years. Honestly the whole model minority con has been just a blip time period wise vs the various forms of yellow peril propaganda this country has put out.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
fermented more than a few years. Honestly the whole model minority con has been just a blip time period wise vs the various forms of yellow peril propaganda this country has put out.

That model minority crap really did a number on us. It's like how Cathy Park Hong said in her book Minor Feelings about how Asians are "next in line to become White" which amounts to erasure of identity. It gets pretty annoying too when Asian issues in the US are overlooked in general. People don't consider us people of color, yet we aren't White. It's like being in an episode of the Twilight Zone.