• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Been on an Asian movie binge lately now that there's a pretty decent selection online. Mostly had only watched Kurosawa before, so branching out recently has been nice, especially with Criterion Channel (though they remain the biggest culprit of Kurosawa fetishism). Harakiri is still easily in my top 3 all time, but Memories of Murder is pretty great, and on Amazon Prime. Taipei Story shown earlier in the thread is also on Criterion Channel right now, and definitely worth a watch.

Looking for some contemporary stuff now though.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I'm in a Yakuza mood. Just saw Fukasaku's Battles Without Honour... on Tubi, I think? There's like 5 different places you can stream a variety of Japanese stuff (disregarding Netflix, which certainly should be discarded in this context), that one seemed alright, bar an ad hitting literally 10 minutes before the movie was over. AsianCrush seems pretty decent. Some other cult movie-type sites for streaming, Shudder, Midnight Pulp, even Sundance Channel etc almost seem like clones of each other, at least design-wise.... Shudder not letting me know exactly what they have before biting the trial isn't helping, either.

Amazon Prime Video (Canada) actually surprised me by having a decent bit of stuff.

God it's hard to find even some of the more modern stuff, let alone older flicks (I spent like an hour looking for Fukasaku's Graveyard of Honour (1975) and nothing, nothing at all, anywhere)... can't find any Miike beyond his really big ones; it seems Zebraman will be forever out of my grasp... Ishii (Crazy Thunder Road) doesn't seem to be anywhere; Kitano is hit and miss. Fireworks yes, Sonatine no, and the frustration mounts!

Oh, this thread seems kinda... desolate. Too bad.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
watched kingdom 2019 few weeks ago with my brother, both of us follow the manga
it was quite good

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Bump

0x4mg8ufylo61.png

In the UK at least. Not sure if it's on Prime Video in other regions. But I guess people can VPN it.

Heard its nowhere near as good as the first film, so my patience has paid off!

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I think it could have been an ok film if it was all practical effects, but CGI really drags it down.

Anyway, did anyone watch Sono's Forest of Love: Deep Cut? Is it worth it the extra two hours, or I'm good with the film version?

Last edited: