• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
LOVED those ! Massive appreciation and respect to Ubisoft for thinking of such an idea. Wish it was more appreciated .

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty damn cool.
I know the Odyssey one had some story spoilers in it (not sure how major they were, as I've only played like 10 hours), but if you don't care about that, Discovery Tour is great.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These are by far my favorite thing about the new AC games. It really showed how much passion they had in all this.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Thats neat imho the discovery tour in origins was the better one hope that the one valhalla is more like it then then one in odyssey.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What is this? Is this AC without assassinations? No violence?
I'd love to play a peaceful game of this quality with my kids, usually everything is full of violence.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The Tweet says UPlay so I assume so. I don't think there's a standalone Discovery release on console for either Odyssey or Origins (and I quickly searched the PlayStation Store to try to double check that and couldn't find either Discovery mode there as standalone).

I'd love to play a peaceful game of this quality with my kids, usually everything is full of violence.
It's AC without the game portion. It's an educational tool within the game's world, with guided tours, highlighted points of interest, and curated additional historical context (things like pictures of historical relics, photos of the game's buildings as they appear now, or historical attempts to depict how they appeared back in the time of the game).

There's no violence (and the Origins one even censors historical nudity - the Odyssey one has an option to do that as well), but there's also no game, other than that Discovery mode does keep track of what you've done so far and gives small rewards for completing portions of it. This is a great resource for anyone interested in the history, but won't entertain anyone who isn't (unless your kids are young enough that just wandering a virtual world is interesting to them).

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's AC with many of it's elements disabled. You can only explore and find tours. Bonus is that you can play as any character. So if you wanna say, parkour around with Cleopatra you can do that lol.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The Tweet says UPlay so I assume so. I don't think there's a standalone Discovery release on console for either Odyssey or Origins (and I quickly searched the PlayStation Store to try to double check that and couldn't find either Discovery mode there as standalone).

It's AC without the game portion. It's an educational tool within the game's world, with guided tours, highlighted points of interest, and curated additional historical context (things like pictures of historical relics, photos of the game's buildings as they appear now, or historical attempts to depict how they appeared back in the time of the game).

There's no violence (and the Origins one even censors historical nudity - the Odyssey one has an option to do that as well), but there's also no game, other than that Discovery mode does keep track of what you've done so far and gives small rewards for completing portions of it. This is a great resource for anyone interested in the history, but won't entertain anyone who isn't (unless your kids are young enough that just wandering a virtual world is interesting to them).
Can you walk around freely and climb stuff etc? Or are you just swapping between highlighted objects?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's AC with many of it's elements disabled. You can only explore and find tours. Bonus is that you can play as any character. So if you wanna say, parkour around with Cleopatra you can do that lol.
That's awesome! 😀👍
I just want them to experience this quality in games, the animations and world details. I tried to play peacefully in RDR2, just riding and taking care of the horse and camping etc, but it nearly ended in nightmares lol, it's too random when it comes to sudden scary stuff or violence

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Can you walk around freely and climb stuff etc? Or are you just swapping between highlighted objects?
You can walk around freely, climb stuff, jump off stuff (no damage), swim around and sail boats and ride horses (and camels in Origins). Once you start a tour the game will guide you through the tour (with an unmissable golden line from waypoint to waypoint) but it doesn't railroad you - you still have control, so at any point you can stop and explore.

There are also NPC spots throughout the game where NPCs are doing things - praying, eating, cleaning, making something, whatever. You can do the same thing that they're doing by shoving them out of that spot and standing on it yourself. That's sometimes moderately amusing, though the animations are totally canned and while you're doing those NPC animations, the only kind of control you have is to stop doing them.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's an awesome gesture by Ubisoft, the tours are pretty great. I'm sure they're also hoping that people that try this will be tempted to buy the games afterwards.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There are also NPC spots throughout the game where NPCs are doing things - praying, eating, cleaning, making something, whatever. You can do the same thing that they're doing by shoving them out of that spot and standing on it yourself. That's sometimes moderately amusing, though the animations are totally canned and while you're doing those NPC animations, the only kind of control you have is to stop doing them.
This is one of the best bits for me personally because it really highlights the sheer amount of effort that went into the animations of npcs. So many that most players pass by them without a second thought.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
To me... this is all I've wanted for a long time now.

Thanks Ubi, this makes up for whole gamplay trailer thing... For me at least. 😁

Oct 25, 2017
This is good pandemic virtual tourism/museum/education software. I've spent many a Sunday morning going through tours on both and haven't done a fraction of it it. Good call, Ubisoft.

Mar 31, 2018
Within Europe, I don't think it's free yet. The Discovery Tour of Assassin's Creed Origins was fantastic, but I don't own Odyssey.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You can walk around freely, climb stuff, jump off stuff (no damage), swim around and sail boats and ride horses (and camels in Origins). Once you start a tour the game will guide you through the tour (with an unmissable golden line from waypoint to waypoint) but it doesn't railroad you - you still have control, so at any point you can stop and explore.

This is great! Thanks for all the info, much appreciated ⭐️ All games should have a mode like this :)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Within Europe, I don't think it's free yet. The Discovery Tour of Assassin's Creed Origins was fantastic, but I don't own Odyssey.

It is. Scroll down in your library and you'll find them under "free games"

dGJ668v.png

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's actually pretty nice, you couldn't pay me to play the games themselves, but I'll admit the discovery mode had me intrigued. I might actually give this a go.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Origins and I still put a few hours into the discovery mode afterwards. There's a lot of value there.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
These are legit great, and it's great to have them separately from the main game so you don't have to install like 100gb of game to play these.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
These are legit great, and it's great to have them separately from the main game so you don't have to install like 100gb of game to play these.
Although it's a big saving, these still use the entire game world and most of the assets, so they're still enormous. The Odyssey tour is 56GB and the Origins one is not that much smaller.