• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So I picked up Assassin's Creed III Remastered on Switch today and the game looks and plays fine enough for me and I'm happy they added a few Switch centric options like gyro and touchscreen support but my goodness the audio quality is horrendous. It's even worse than Dark Souls was. Listen to this

Specifically at 39 minutes and beyond. Listen to the shitty voice clips and abysmal wind and water effects. These were obnoxiously shrill and loud when I played on my TV

Compare to PS4 @ 33 minutes here

I will say the voice clips sound slightly compressed here too imo but nowhere near as bad as on Switch. The wind and water effects sound infinitely better though. I would never have guessed that's how it's actually supposed to sound. The weather effects during the storm a few minutes later sound completely different on Switch too.

I understand they needed to make concessions to get it to fit on the cart (the DLC isn't on cart for instance, it is a free download on eShop if you own the game) but they could at least offer the proper audio as optional DLC imo. Completely different dev and publisher but the audio for Dark Souls Remastered never got fixed on Switch, so I'm expecting it to stay this way unfortunately

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
The water sounds like a bug, like the same sound is being played many times at once.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the Digital Foundry analysis.

Nachtfalke

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't seem like a good port at all. Framerate is horrible, most of the time well below 30fps, graphics are poor (more like a port of the PS3/360 versions and now this.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I shouldn't be surprised and I wasn't going to rebuy this anyway but I'm starting to get tired of these shoddy Switch ports of last-gen games.

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of sad that as average of a port this is, it's probably still the 3rd best looking 3D open world game on the system behind BOTW and Skyrim.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The port is horrendous.

It barely floats about the mid-20's and the pop-in is horrific and the shadow quality is literally PS1 tier.

It's bad.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Well, thats another one on the list of crappy ports. Not gonna lie, I had high hopes for the systems library in 2017, but its been downhill from there.

Need more original games made with Switch as the base, dont even have to be exclusive. Just something that isnt 10 years old and 20fps.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 docked looks so much better (also thanks to art design)
I honestly haven't played it but would have thought the lower resolution would have hurt it compared to AC3. And I do think AC3 is either 900P or 1080P docked. It really reminds me of the IQ of LA Noire, which had plenty of shimmer and issues but it still managed 1080P.

Lego City Undercover is pretty decent I will say, I forgot to mention that one.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I've been led to believe that the game is a disappointing port overall

With Switch in mind, I think it's an ok port. It has the same issues with every other last gen port on Switch. AC3 actually is one of the good ones. We still haven't got that "perfect last gen port" for Switch.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
With Switch in mind, I think it's an ok port. It has the same issues with every other last gen port on Switch. AC3 actually is one of the good ones. We still haven't got that "perfect last gen port" for Switch.
Oh but we did. Skyrim looks and runs better than last gen versions. Darksiders runs at 60 fps or 30 fps locked and higher resolution, Diablo 3 is pretty much flawless too, with better visuals and much better performance. I'm sure there are other examples.

OP
OP
ShinobiBk

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey also have horrible audio quality, sounds very muffled and low quality

Yes, the voice clips on PS4 for this game sound muffled too, but they are noticeably worse on Switch. The other sound effects sound way, way worse on Switch though. Like the weather effects sound shockingly bad.

I also think a lot of people here are overstating how bad the game looks, it doesn't look bad at all, the game looks fine. I will say the pop-in is definitely noticable, but they have to do what they can to get the game running.

JTMarlin

Nov 6, 2018
Something is off with the lighting as well. I had to adjust the brightness way up to see ANYTHING in areas of the game where there isn't much lighting.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been led to believe that the game is a disappointing port overall

The port is near perfect sans the audio and NPC issues. The framerate is not the best but it's slightly better than the last gen versions overall and the resolution has been improved. Even the draw distance is a bit better than last gen (I think). The NPC count being reduced is a real bummer however.

The lighting is the same as the last gen versions, and all special effects such as the raindrop effects on the characters, to the hazy sunsets, to the dense vegetation have all been kept intact.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
The visual and framerate are fine, but the audio is just terrible, honestly I'm pissed I paid for this crap. Weird enough Liberation audio is alright.

Tired that we Switch owners have to deal with this shit every time.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Oh but we did. Skyrim looks and runs better than last gen versions. Darksiders runs at 60 fps or 30 fps locked and higher resolution, Diablo 3 is pretty much flawless too, with better visuals and much better performance. I'm sure there are other examples.

Agreed. Diablo 3 runs almost perfectly for me and what it set out to do portably. Play it constantly. With my Verizon Hockey puck hotspot playing it online and on the go has been choice AF.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Returned it to the store, brought Yoshi's Crafted World :3
Yea it seems like if they co develop a game than its fine (ff12, 10 and 10-2 and starlink), but if they are the main studio that ports it than the port is almost guaranteed to be rough. That happened with La noire(weird audio bugs, lack of surround sound) Darksouls(audio that sounds like its recorded in a bucked) and now ac3 remastered wich if i understand correctly is even worse than DS remastered.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Yea it seems like if they co develop a game than its fine (ff12, 10 and 10-2 and starlink), but if they are the main studio that ports it than the port is almost guaranteed to be rough. That happened with La noire(weird audio bugs, lack of surround sound) Darksouls(audio that sounds like its recorded in a bucked) and now ac3 remastered wich if i understand correctly is even worse than DS remastered.
Virtuous ported AC3 Remastered too?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is gonna be a common thing with Virtuos ports now, I guess?

Blech.

Oh so it's not even them? That's kinda even worse news then. I don't wanna this to be widespread.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I looked at the credits, they did not. They only worked on converting Assassin's Creed Liberation to a PBR pipeline (on PS4. One and PC) and improving that game's graphics.

Ubisoft has likely done this version in house.
one thing i know for sure is that its not inhouse(ubisoft wouldnt put this out), i seriously could have sworn that virtuous games was mentioned in an interview or something. If not its a shadow port(port company not credited)

Edit: searched it on wiki and virtuous games comes up with ac3 remastered (all versions presumably), they at least contributed to the other versions.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
one thing i know for sure is that its not inhouse(ubisoft wouldnt put this out)

Ubisoft did the port of Rayman Origins to 3DS in house and that had terrible audio quality. Like, it makes this port sound like HD Audio in comparison.

Also, this port is not nearly as bad as people have been saying given the hardware limitations. In fact I will actually go as far as to say that this is a contender for the best looking most complex game on the system. I have been putting more time into it and the IQ in handheld mode is astonishing. The framerate isn't even much of a problem considering that this was the norm for open worlds on PS3, Wii U and even now Switch.

It has a few niggling issues that need to be addressed like the audio and the NPC's and a few cleanups here and there (crackling), but otherwise this is pretty much a perfect port...