• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed we didn't actually have a thread about Assassin's Creed's sales, and rather just Mario and Wolfenstein.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Assassin's Creed Origins' performance won't allay fears over the strength of the franchise, at least not in the UK. The game's opening sales were ever-so-slightly down over 2015's Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which was a disappointing launch for Ubisoft. Of course, these figures don't factor in download sales, and anecdotal reports from publishers state that digital downloading of AAA games has significantly increased in 2017.

There were some positives. The higher selling price of Origins (due to the special Golds and Gods editions) means that the game did surpass Syndicate's week one revenue total, and the game's opening sales are better than what Watch Dogs 2 managed last year.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...d-assassins-creed-origins-top-uk-boxed-charts

Syndicate was the series worse selling debut for a major entry:

Eurogamer said:
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is the UK's number one game - but it's the lowest-selling major Assassin's Creed.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-26-assassins-creed-syndicate-is-the-uks-number-one-game

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Remember that part at the end of Shaun of the Dead where Shaun's old girlfriend runs into him and Kate and basically everyone is dead but she still musters up a "Well, I'm glad somebody made it"? That's how this news feels to me.

But I am. I am glad somebody made it. UK sales numbers have been brutal lately.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing to see but I believe this carried way more hype than Syndicate. Maybe Digital was higher.

Still, I believe this is going to have much better legs than the past games. It is a good game too, and polished much better than the past entries, which will help.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Did any game do better then previous iterations in UK lately? Seems like everything is down in UK.

Oct 27, 2017
UK numbers are down overall, digital attach rate will be higher compared to Syndicate, people still wary of the franchise/fatigued.

Not sad to see AC sales numbers down to be honest.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Digital Origins is up over Syndicate.

Not a great result but I wouldn't label it overly poor either

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I think people have also cottoned on to the pointlessness of buying games day one when Black Friday is around the corner. Last year I held out on Battlefield, Dishonored 2 and FF XV and picked them all up around half price on Black Friday.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Hope the digital numbers more than make up the gap since I really like the new direction this series is going in.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
When including digital sales for both games, Origins was higher.