• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

- The game runs in backwards compatibility mode. This patch only unlocks the framerate up to 60fps on current consoles.
- PS5 is limited to legacy PS4 Pro settings with a maximum resolution of 1620p.
- Xbox Series X has a clear advantage showing almost constant 2160p (in the tested areas I have not obtained lower numbers).
- Xbox Series S limits its resolution to 1080p.
- Load times are faster on Xbox Series, as is usual for backwards compatible games compared to PS5.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I find it so odd how Series X|S beats PS5 in the loading times when the PS5 has such a faster SSD and similar CPU, wouldn't the faster SSD be able to brute force better than the slower Series X|S SSD? Love having a 60fps update I wish more games did this.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I find it so odd how Series X|S beats PS5 in the loading times when the PS5 has such a faster SSD and similar CPU, wouldn't the faster SSD be able to brute force better than the slower Series X|S SSD?

Keep in mind this is still running in BC mode. In order to maintain backward compatibility on PS5, transfer speeds are likely limited to PS4 speeds artificially. Xbox has a more PC-like architecture where this limit probably isn't needed.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Keep in mind this is still running in BC mode. In order to maintain backward compatibility on PS5, transfer speeds are likely limited to PS4 speeds artificially. Xbox has a more PC-like architecture where this limit probably isn't needed.

Ah that's right, but surely that speed is faster than PS4? so is it in some sort of in between mode or something.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I find it so odd how Series X|S beats PS5 in the loading times when the PS5 has such a faster SSD and similar CPU, wouldn't the faster SSD be able to brute force better than the slower Series X|S SSD? Love having a 60fps update I wish more games did this.
PS4 games can't take full advantage of the PS5's SSD, unfortunately.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil

Not only that but there's a significant trickery in the API that's only available in a native PS5 App that boosts the speeds to the massive amount of 5-6 Gb/s. They can boost the overall speed, but it will be as limited as a PS4 Pro running an SSD instead of their stock PS4 drive.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
In my experience PS4 Pro with an SSD loads much faster than say PS5 running a game in BC using the internal SSD.

So it's likely being limited when playing BC games, it's why I have all my PS4 games in a USB 3.0 HDD.

ZombieC

Alt Account
May 24, 2022

This is what i dont get, how a faster loading time would break the game. HAs anyone ever explained why this is needed?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

the actual architecture is identical. X86 for PS4/XB/PS5/XS

It's more than likely a simple case of MS being more efficient with their software. They've quite a few years on Sony in terms of BC, don't forget the miracles they pulled off with X360 games running on XB1.

It took Sony quite a while to add boost mode to ps4 pro as well. Maybe at some point they'll allow the Ps5 to unleash more of its power on PS4 sw.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the physics stuff is hard-coded at 30, so it looks a little weird in places. Horse-riding especially.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Native 4K/60fps on Series X. AND on Game Pass. The dream!

Can't wait to dive back into this.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
One X spec still coming in clutch for these legacy titles getting uncapped frame rates. Can't wait to dive in again when it hits gamepass

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love the way long-term support has played out with many releases in the cross-gen window. This is such a neat bonus for new/current owners.

Benefits stemming from how software/hardware was handled last gen keeps paying dividends in releases like this on Xbox. Obviously PS5 is still an awesome bump, but resolution and loading time gets held back a bit without more resources put into a "native" patch.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Man, game still looks incredible.

I have to say, a $299 machine running this game at 1080p and 60 fps effortlessly is kinda nuts to me.

Clutchman

Nov 12, 2017
That sucks the resolution isn't closer to 4K for the PS5 version. Was going to play on PS5 since I purchased it on PS4 but with it coming to Gamepass, I think I'll just wait for the Series X version.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The compromise of how PS5 handles SKUs and BC is so disappointing.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In this case the game is locked at 60fps on all consoles. Sometimes that's not the case.

On topic... game still looks great!

Soooo ah... Assassin's Creed Liberation is next riiiight???

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
This is such a great game
Replying it and it looks beautiful, turned off the HUD and it plays like dream. Oh and the musical score is just out of this world

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to play in the native language of the era or is only English VO available ?

Nobody speaks Ancient Egyptian, it's been dead for about 2,000 years. Even with all of Ubisoft's resources, that might be asking a bit much!

There are languages still spoken that are believed to be descendant from Ancient Egyptian but, I'm pretty sure, nobody actually knows what the language sounded like.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody speaks Ancient Egyptian, it's been dead for about 2,000 years. Even with all of Ubisoft's resources, that might be asking a bit much!

There are languages still spoken that are believed to be descendant from Ancient Egyptian but, I'm pretty sure, nobody actually knows what the language sounded like.
I lol'ed

Ban 1 Week - Excusing lazy dev rhetoric with historical facts

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I knew that the PS4 Pro will hold back the PS5. Sony were just rushing things to reelase their mid-gen console to eb first on the market and games paid the toll even on next gen. Hopefully both companies will rlease their mid-gen consoels during the same year so they will be identical just like the base current-gen.

And this too. MS could allow many skus to work according ot their versatile ecosystem.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Coptic is a known descendent of ancient Egyptian, this connection played a big role in the decipherment of hieroglyphs and the Rosetta Stone.

But yeah, any reconstruction of the actual sounds of ancient Egyptian would be at least partly speculative, and the whole effort to include something like that in the game would probably be beyond what most folks would need or appreciate. It's not as though there's a big community of Egyptian (or even Coptic) speakers looking for accuracy...

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
They could increase the max resolution on BC games like they did in the last Tomb Raider. But I think the limiting factor here would be the memory available on Pro (only 5.5 GB) as they'd need more memory for the bigger max resolution (4K) like on X1X which has 9GB of available ram.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
my last AC was Ezio 3...

AC then became everything that turns me off of AAA

however, i've sworn to myself to see this iteration through to the credits

i'm a little excited to be honest

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Not only that but there's a significant trickery in the API that's only available in a native PS5 App that boosts the speeds to the massive amount of 5-6 Gb/s. They can boost the overall speed, but it will be as limited as a PS4 Pro running an SSD instead of their stock PS4 drive.

I hope sony catches up. I mean to be fair PS4 Pro with an ssd speeds is plenty fast, and my ps4 games benefit massively from being on my 5's ssd. But still.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I
I knew that the PS4 Pro will hold back the PS5. Sony were just rushing things to reelase their mid-gen console to eb first on the market and games paid the toll even on next gen. Hopefully both companies will rlease their mid-gen consoels during the same year so they will be identical just like the base current-gen.
I don't think it has anything to do with rushing things, we know that Sony's priority was to end this generation and move straight the next. It's less about the hardware as such and more to do with APIs , tooling and policy for PS5.

In itself what they have done is a perfectly valid approach, but next to what Xbox has achieved it looks a little pallid.
For Xbox we are seeing the culmination of a decade of work all coming together - the foundations for their ecosystem were being laid before Xbox one .

Oct 30, 2017
This is what i dont get, how a faster loading time would break the game. HAs anyone ever explained why this is needed?

PS4 games work on PS5 because the PS5 is convinced that it's a PS4. if you change anything about that you risk breaking compatibility. devs can go in and unlock framerates in cases like this because there's no theoretical reason why a PS4 game shouldn't be able to run at 60fps, but no PS4 game was ever designed around PS5-level SSD speeds so it's not within the scope of the emulator

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always prefer Sony's approach to BC. Xbox will often require some sort of download before a game becomes playable.

I prefer higher compatibility and preservation than enhancements.